Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Nerf or buff

BanazaiSabreBanazaiSabre
Mabinogi Rep: 1,955
in Feedback and Suggestions
Chain skills bother me. alot. there so god damn dumb.
the damage scaling is insanely high,
It does AOE damage
it has a really powerful surpression CC

Meanwhile smash has damage thats about 220% better on single target with some minor splash, completely demandant on weapon stats. and yeah, im counting the Dan 3 rank
i dunno, when you compare chain skills to single target skills, my assumption would be that they do far more damage to the single target, but its completely untrue. it makes a joke of so many other options in the game.
Then you have skills like water blast, which dont even have a scaling, so increasing the damage further is pretty dependant on gear and skill ranks.

spinning slash has a 745% damage scaling. which is also an AOE that surpresses enemys hit.
Chain sweep hits for 680%, is an AOE, and surpresses.
smash does 720% at dan 3, hitting a single target, and some minor damage to nearby target, and knocks the orginal target back {shorter duration then the surpresison from either
then theres bash, with its 460% at 5 stacks. I know you can proc this twice with faster weapons, but id rather not button mash.
Meanwhile you compare an ability thats pretty much designed for its CC utility, Crises, and it only does 215%. Its a straight up bismal joke in comparison.

either chain skills need a major nerf, or single target abiltiies need a huge buff.
Everything feels worthless when you compare them

ive heard the arguement that "oh chain skills requires dorcha to use" but anyone whos used chain skills, knows thats just a joke excuse that holds no merit. that stuff floods in like no tomrrow. Magnum shot consumes arrows, but its not mass surpressing every enemy in the game with 800% damage. instead its 500% damage and single target knockback. that can miss.
THICCthighssavelivesBronzebreakSherri

Comments

• TropaTropa
    Mabinogi Rep: 810
    edited September 16, 2018
    I feel like Sweep is a tad bit too power for it's cost(two bars of Dorcha) and lack of a cooldown, it's a Large circular skill that can be ground targeted and can pretty much be spammed if you have the dorcha ready.

I feel like either it's Dorcha cost be raised to 3 or it's damage lowered(it pretty much invalidates Raging Spike as well).
    YangKoeteForeRunia
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    Dorcha Impale should be what happens when you use Smash skill with a chainblade. It will consume dorcha to boost its damage, but it can still work without dorcha.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited September 17, 2018
    I like Chains.

So... I don't want nerf of it. It makes my life easier. Was bored of keep using Bash and Smash.
    GremmChaosShadownajee508Veylaine
  • BanazaiSabreBanazaiSabre
    but if you factor everything a single skill has, it has far to much kit per skill. some skills in other sets do nothing but damage. this straight up does crowd control, higher damage then everything else in the game, and its AOE. theres too much in comparion to everything else, it renders them kinda pointless or obsolete. i'd be fine if the old kits had some improvements to them, because everything just seems really lack luster by comparsion.
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    I get what you're saying, but TBH, I don't see a need for either. Sure, older skills could use an update; but, everyone can use chain blade skills so it's not like any one player has a higher advantage over another player based on these skills alone. It's up to you to choose which skills you use.
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    edited September 17, 2018
    I enjoy the chain skills but definitely agree that the older skillsets need to be kept competitive. It's pretty annoying when the newest skillset is usually on top for a while until nexon "remembers" there are other skillsets and buffs them (or nerfs the newest). There should be a standard for what a traditional combat skillset offers and each skillset should more or less cover that spectrum. Sure a certain skillset could be a little better in one than another and there might even be a skillset that focuses on AOE at the cost of single target or vice versa- but no skillset should be king of just about everything lol

Also, can we remove aiming from archery yet? That mechanic is just dumb. Just make it so you have to manually click where to shoot the arrow. It's not like archery would be OP if we didn't have to aim lol it's still got crazy cooldowns, especially for poor humans.
  • JaridavinJaridavin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,310
    Maia wrote: »
    Also, can we remove aiming from archery yet? That mechanic is just dumb. Just make it so you have to manually click where to shoot the arrow. It's not like archery would be OP if we didn't have to aim lol it's still got crazy cooldowns, especially for poor humans.

Do not underestimate archery with no aim.

You know elves? their ability that boosts aim speed by 400%?

Ya I already got to watch elves just perma stun magnum spam without being capable of missing while that buff runs. Imagine if they could do that 100% of the time? Or anyone could do that 100% of the time?
  • GremmGremm
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,840
    edited September 18, 2018
    Greta wrote: »
    I like Chains.

So... I don't want nerf of it. It makes my life easier. Was bored of keep using Bash and Smash.

Im on Greta on this subject, i like the chains so no support from my side regarding the nerf.

If you want a remake on the older skills then that's a different subject, btw, the debuffs that smash have (depends on what kind of weapon equipped) is a game-changer, if you're only looking at the pure DPS then yes, you do have a point that it might look weird. But that's for the balance sake.

And there are many other elements to the skills that you haven't taken into consideration on this matter.
    Bronzebreak
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    Jaridavin wrote: »

Ya I already got to watch elves just perma stun magnum spam without being capable of missing while that buff runs. Imagine if they could do that 100% of the time? Or anyone could do that 100% of the time?

Exactly this. There is a reason archery is god tier in Kr and not Na, latency.

Besides anyone with half a brain could just manually click on a monster, even for humans that change would just make archery meta even for them and just be a middle finger to giants unless you plain remove the cooldown on throwing. Not that Kr would ever consider it since they think archery is already god tier.
  • ChaosShadowChaosShadow
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,590
    Chains are the only thing I can deal some competent damage with without having to waste millions of gold on reforges for, which is something I wish was applicable to every skillset.

Leave them alone.
    GretaSherriGremm
    Even if chains did 100k per hit, no one who uses them would want to nerf them. It's just logical to want to do more damage, balance be damned.
    BronzebreakCho
  • BanazaiSabreBanazaiSabre
    chain impale(850%) 4.5 second stun (unessassaryly huge)
    Smash with (720%) Knocks the target back
    No wonder no one who uses it complains, it straight up spits on any ability that came before it in damage.
    this stuff is even reccamended for new players for how stupidly broken it is in comparison.
    not even taking into acount the rapid spammability.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    We all can agree on one thing; every new class released is going to be more overpowered than the rest. It's a vicious cycle. o3o
    THICCthighssavelivesBronzebreak
    Sherri wrote: »
    We all can agree on one thing; every new class released is going to be more overpowered than the rest. It's a vicious cycle. o3o

And the new content will be designed with that new class in mind as the "standard damage," so that new enemies and bosses are damage sponges and extremely difficult for those using outdated classes. It's power creep.
    YangKoeteBronzebreak
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    Jaridavin wrote: »

Chain impale and bash can already perma stun. I don't see how perma magnum stun is really OP. If anything it knocks back which means the enemy can't be hit for a brief moment unless I'm wrong so it's worse.
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    I just want balancing. If Chain Slash is "The new cool talent", so be it.

But I don't want something overpowered while some things are underpowered.
    *looks at Fighter* . w.
  • GremmGremm
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,840
    edited September 18, 2018
    chain impale(850%) 4.5 second stun (unessassaryly huge)
    Smash with (720%) Knocks the target back
    No wonder no one who uses it complains, it straight up spits on any ability that came before it in damage.
    this stuff is even reccamended for new players for how stupidly broken it is in comparison.
    not even taking into acount the rapid spammability.

Im getting a little tired of you avoiding all the other benefits of Smash just to force your opinion about the chain skills here, here is a small and quick list of what smash can do:

[1] Smash can bypass the Defense skill.

[2] Starting at Rank 5 Smash will get a splash damage effect and can attack multiple targets instead of just 1.

[3] Smash has a chance to inflict a debuff

[4] Smash can inflict Bleed, dealing damage over time (Sword-type equipped)
    - (Health reduction effect stacks with other damage over time effects such as Poison Attack or Mirage Missile, ignores defensive stats, Passive Defense, Invulnerability, and Mana Shield damage reduction during damage calculation, and can lower a target's HP past 0 and can kill while also ignoring Deadly status.)

[5] Smash can inflict Daze, preventing the opponent from using Magic and Alchemy Skills.
    - (This can be applied on players, unlike Somersault Kick.)

[6] Smash can decrease the opponent's Defense and Protection.
    - (The debuff may also apply to any enemy hit by the skill's splash.)
    - (The debuff's duration can be refreshed and reapplied.)

[7] Smash can be used anytime with any equipment except when the Atlatl, Bow, Crossbow, or Dual Gun are equipped.

[8] When Smash is at Rank 9 the quest for Bash is unlocked, yet another skill that can be used nearly anytime you want.

I think its about time that you stop complain about the difference in pure attack power and only mention the stun effects of the impale skill while ignoring everything that the Smash skill can do. Its called a balance for a reason, if Smash were even stronger then of course it wouldn't work out.

Please do your research before trying to ruin the fun for us chain users, our skills are locked to the chain only while smash can be used with nearly anything in the game, and of course, our amount of Dorcha limits the skills as well. It's a lot trickier that one thinks to save the right amount of Dorcha in battle and many times we might not even have time to collect more.

If unlucky, a single proper combo at the right time can render a chain user helpless in a 1-on-1, out on the field we can be attacked by multiple monsters and lose the fight that way as well.

+ A lot of the chain skills are locked behind various quests and RNG hunts making the Chain Talent one of the more dificult talents to master while Smash & CO are for free.

Smash and the Combat skills overall is one of the oldest and most versatile skill set in the game, if they were all more powerful in pure stats excluding all the extra goodies they've been given over the years then no one would want to try out any other talents.

But that's just my thoughts on the matter, either read up on the skills more properly before you start another argument again or just back off if you don't know what you're talking about. I don't think you're a troll here and i don't think you're here to start a fight, but i also don't think that you know how dmn powerful that smash is to begin with.

Sure, the chain might be better in the short term but smash can be used in any situation at any time. And as mentioned it has a lot of different damage multipliers that no other skill has.

You can google for the more accurate table or even visit the Wiki and read up on some of the more well known facts if you wanna continue your arguments.

Good Luck.
    ForeRuniaSherri
    OP, they'll subtly call you a troll, intimidate you with aggressive language, question your intelligence, say you're ruining fun, anything to silence your brave voice. Next thing you know they'll call you an anti-chainite. But this is a good sign. It means these chainies are getting desperate because they know the day of the nerf is coming. disclaimer: I have nothing against chains, my best friend is a chain user.
    YangKoete
  • IAAWIAAW
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,285
    I personally just want other skillsets to remain viable in lieu of newer skillsets like Chain Blade. As for Chain Blades themselves, I personally don't care that much about them and I think they're mostly fine. I think the only frustrating part of Chain Blades is the fact that they're essentially a ranged melee attack with knockdown and stun when similar skillsets like Dual Gun and Ninja don't receive that luxury.

As for the arguments for Chain Blades, remember that Smash has a chance to apply its effects and that these effects only apply to Swords, Blunt Weapons and Axes. Chain Impale may not be able to ignore Defense and is exclusive to Chain Blades, but due to how Chain Blades work it takes only two Normal Attacks to both remove an enemy's Defense and stun the enemy afterwards to open them up for Chain Impale or even Chain Crush. Speaking of Chain Crush, Chain Crush has a 100% chance to daze compared to Smash and Somersault Kick, which both skills' daze effects are chance-based.

As for quest-restricted skills, I don't think that's a fair comparison; I think it's more accurate to base a skillset's strengths on the skills you receive on the outset, and Chain Blades offer much more than Close Combat after the Chain Blade questline is completed; you get Bachram Boosts, an effective ranged melee attack for a Normal Attack, an extremely effective close range Smash-like attack, an effective long range Smash-like attack that always dazes, an effective AoE attack, and an extremely effective Evasion-like skill that has i-frames, not to mention that a Chain Blade's Normal Attack can trigger Mimics from a distance. While I'll agree that Chain Blades require more effort to fully master compared to Close Combat, Chain Blades are extremely beginner friendly and I can see why they're treated as such. And while Dorcha is a limiting factor, even at Rank F it only takes a couple of Normal Attacks with a Chain Blade to restore 1 Dorcha, and as long as you're not going spam-crazy with your Chain Slash skills you should never have any trouble maintaining Dorcha, especially since in the majority of situations the only thing you will ever need to do in respect to Chain Blades is to simply spam your Normal Attack; there's not much need for any of the Chain Blade-specific skills except in certain situations.