Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Discord Rich Presence

TakunshoTakunsho
Mabinogi Rep: 660
in Feedback and Suggestions
I think it would be awesome to build in Rich Presence to Mabinogi. Currently, Discord will detect that you are playing Mabi and for how long, but nothing further.

Ideas of things that Rich Presence would show:
That you're Fishing
Shadow Mission Name
Current Talent
I'm sure there are other things that could be shown too that I'm not thinking of.
  1. Discord Rich Presence?20 votes
    1. This would be awesome!
       15% (3 votes)
    2. It would be cool.
       30% (6 votes)
    3. I'm indifferent.
       10% (2 votes)
    4. Meh, doesn't matter.
       10% (2 votes)
    5. This seems pointless...
       20% (4 votes)
    6. What's Rich Presence?
       15% (3 votes)

Comments

• LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    Just a word of advice, if you feel you need to make a poll option for "What's Rich Presence?", then maybe you should explain it in your opening post. I have no idea what it is so I can't offer support on it or not.
    ErorservIyasenuBronzebreakSherri
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited September 22, 2018
    EDIT:
    Since the OP is kinda rude, I'm not sure if I should support or not o3o
  • TakunshoTakunsho
    Leinei wrote: »
    Just a word of advice, if you feel you need to make a poll option for "What's Rich Presence?", then maybe you should explain it in your opening post. I have no idea what it is so I can't offer support on it or not.
    Sherri wrote: »
    I don't really know what it is but it sounds pretty cool so sure

Well, it was more of a joke since there exists this thing called Google. But if you really don't know what it is, here:

Discord - The #1 communication platform currently. This has replaced Teamspeak, Ventrillo, and Skype at the very least as the preferred platform for gamers.

Rich Presence - In Discord, your status message can detect what games/software you are using currently, and display it for other people in the server to see.

This can be as simple as saying:
    Playing Mabinogi (and how long you've been playing it)
    25A0hIR

Or as complex as saying:
    Playing Jetbrains IDE
    Editing world.java
    Working on MyNewMod
    (and for how long)
    jU2X5Al (note this is not actually me, this was from someone in a server I'm part of)

Or:
    Playing Minecraft
    Playing ModpackName
    Currently in the Nether
    (time in that dimension)
    b8Nj9Du

Even gamemodes with links to join the game/mission:
    o6LPeXc

It can even show things like what song you're listening to on Spotify.

https://imgur.com/a/zT1IzUS
  • LeineiLeinei
    Takunsho wrote: »

Well, it was more of a joke since there exists this thing called Google. But if you really don't know what it is, here:

Discord - The #1 communication platform currently. This has replaced Teamspeak, Ventrillo, and Skype at the very least as the preferred platform for gamers.

Rich Presence - In Discord, your status message can detect what games/software you are using currently, and display it for other people in the server to see.

This can be as simple as saying:
    Playing Mabinogi (and how long you've been playing it)

Or as complex as saying:
    Playing Jetbrains IDE
    Editing world.java
    Working on MyNewMod
    (and for how long)

Or:
    Playing Minecraft
    Playing ModpackName
    Currently in the Nether
    (time in that dimension)

It can even show things like what song you're listening to on Spotify.

When you're making a proposal, forcing your audience to have to go and Google something to understand your idea is a bad way to open it up, especially when the information you're proposing we Google is made up of a single sentence. Making your readers look away from your proposal has the potential of becoming a distraction as well. You want to keep information together in the first post as well, not having it spread out across the thread. Conjecture is fine strewn about, but main points/ideas should be kept to the first post where your proposal is described.

In regard to your idea, that sounds interesting, but wouldn't building this Rich Presence be something that Discord has to do since it has to do with the limitations of their program?
    BronzebreakKrissyPootel
  • TakunshoTakunsho

When you're making a proposal, forcing your audience to have to go and Google something to understand your idea is a bad way to open it up. If it's involved in your proposal, it needs to be explained as you just did, especially if it can be explained in a single sentence. Keeping all the information in one place (like your opening post) is more convenient for your audience.

Now that you've explained what Rich Presence is, I know what it is. But that just begs another questions; is Rich Presence actually capable of reading player activity within the game?

Yes it is, Rich Presence has many hooks that a game (or plugin in the case of Minecraft and Jetbrains) can utilize to display information. For the most part though locations and missions seem to be the common ones used in games such as Killing Floor 2 and Warframe. Skills that are immediate though like first aide or windmill obviously wouldn't want to have showing up, but the longer use ones like fishing or potion making might be fun. That was just a possible integration though.

Additionally, Rich Presence is 100% client side, so there is no impact on the servers by doing so.
  • LeineiLeinei
    I went and editing my post before I refreshed the page (and then noticed your new post) because I noticed I missed something in your initial post.

"Currently, Discord will detect that you are playing Mabi and for how long, but nothing further." Doesn't this mean that this would require Discord to make an update or is this something entirely within the player's power to alter?
  • TakunshoTakunsho
    It is the client itself that grants Rich Presence to Discord. Currently, all Discord is doing is seeing that you have the application open. In other words it sees it running in your task list on your computer. Rich Presence would need built into the client for Discord to pick up any additional information, as that information is supplied by the client (Mabinogi in this case) entirely.
  • LeineiLeinei
    So what you're saying is that Mabinogi would have to create a sort of added information dispenser for Discord to pick up said additional information?
    Bronzebreak
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Takunsho wrote: »

Well, it was more of a joke since there exists this thing called Google.

Wow okay. I see how it is. never mind then, i'm good. >3>
    Leinei
  • LeineiLeinei
    edited September 23, 2018
    And this is why you don't joke about "the thing called Google". You risk offending your potential supporters. =T
    SherriBronzebreak