Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

New player referral system

BlortadBlortad
Mabinogi Rep: 2,490
in Feedback and Suggestions
I think it would help the games population if you offered soem kind of referral package for new players. Other MMOs do this same thing. Maybe give like a title or soemthing the two players can wear to gain boosted exp or skill training or something, and have some system where if the referred friend buys NX, you get a smaller portion of NX for free.

Comments

• BronzebreakBronzebreak
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,940
    Unless Two-Factor-Authorization is put into place, I imagine that it would be too easy to abuse.
    The easiest solution would be the automatic grant of personalized items to each player, but in any case I imagine presenting digital items would be preferable to 'giving away' NX.

I don't disagree that it would be nice for some incentive to exist, but at this point I don't think Mabinogi NA even advertises anymore; we'd be one of Mabi's few ads. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but I suggest Mabi anyway to anyone and everyone that'll listed or that I think would be interested, and they do have quite a few Beginner Benefits themselves.
  • CaissaCaissa
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,175
    Some people already make alt accounts to gain extra rewards during events. A referral bonus would be an additional incentive to do this. I don't think it would be a good idea.
  • IAAWIAAW
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,285
    edited October 3, 2018
    Referral systems tend to be counterproductive; either players exploit the system for free rewards, or players are encouraged to spam referral links on third-party websites and other games in order to fish for rewards. Either way, a referral system isn't something I'd personally look forward to.
    Bronzebreak
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Referral systems are used when one is in dire needs to generate sales. I don't think they're at that desperate point yet.
    But I do wonder if they are trying to market anyway to add new players.
  • BronzebreakBronzebreak
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,940
    Referral systems are used when one is in dire needs to generate sales. I don't think they're at that desperate point yet.

As someone else mentioned (maybe even you?) on another thread, if NA is at a 'dire' state to 'generate sales', it seems much more likely that we'll just be snipped off; IIRC NA and Mabi specifically is less than 2% of Nexon's full revenue across all regions?
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

As someone else mentioned (maybe even you?) on another thread, if NA is at a 'dire' state to 'generate sales', it seems much more likely that we'll just be snipped off; IIRC NA and Mabi specifically is less than 2% of Nexon's full revenue across all regions?

Well with a lot of global economies starting to slow, we'll see how sales keep up in the gaming industry and for Nexon. S Korea's economy is heading towards a decline, Japan as always is stagnant. China's economy is starting to slow.
    Will the slowdowns have an impact towards whether consumers decide to spend on online games? Will a referral system be a good choice to generate revenue?