Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Keith's part time job

Echo83Echo83
Mabinogi Rep: 435
in Feedback and Suggestions
Is a total pain...

I managed to get 1 package out and the second I delivered to a literal new player in Iria as elf and couldn't get back to finish the job. The rest all AFK.

Who ever thought this is a good idea? Hunting down real people for a package delivery with a time limit?
Amesenpai

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    edited October 15, 2018
    Echo83 wrote: »
    Is a total pain...

I managed to get 1 package out and the second I delivered to a literal new player in Iria as elf and couldn't get back to finish the job. The rest all AFK.

Who ever thought this is a good idea? Hunting down real people for a package delivery with a time limit?

Everyone has gone through your pain. It seriously does need to be fixed.
    It was ok back then when people were not primarily AFK.
    Amesenpai
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    I like the challenge, but really, how hard would it be to modify the quest to pick only non-afk people?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    I like the challenge, but really, how hard would it be to modify the quest to pick only non-afk people?

It would be impossible to implement perfectly but fairly simple to implement almost perfectly. Instead of that why not just make the requirement some randomly readily accessible NPC anywhere in the game. Maybe not Price or Tiro, or on second thought maybe specifically one of them.
    Jazmyn
    I think if they made a system where a player is registered as AFK after a certain amount of time of inactivity (excluding when using skills that take time standing at certain spots and talking with NPCs). And then use that system to find players who are actually active to be the recipient and put a GPS on their location.
    Jazmyn
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited October 16, 2018
    I think if they made a system where a player is registered as AFK after a certain amount of time of inactivity (excluding when using skills that take time standing at certain spots and talking with NPCs). And then use that system to find players who are actually active to be the recipient and put a GPS on their location.

If the receiving player gets set THEN they go AFK that's a problem, or if a player is not AFK but for all the world appears as though they are, say they're listening to someone play music, or watching PvP's, or pretending to be AFK so some annoying person will go away, or pretending to be AFK because they are creepy and stalking someone, etc. then that would be a false positive. Almost perfect AFK detection is a fairly simple thing to detect but perfect detection is damm near impossible. From the players point of view, making the quest for a random NPC wouldn't be particularly challenging because of all the mana/moon tunnel/gates, but making the delivery to Price or Tiro would at least introduce a reasonable amount of challenge.
    Helsa wrote: »

If the receiving player gets set THEN they go AFK that's a problem, or if a player is not AFK but for all the world appears as though they are, say they're listening to someone play music, or watching PvP's, or pretending to be AFK so some annoying person will go away, or pretending to be AFK because they are creepy and stalking someone, etc. then that would be a false positive. Almost perfect AFK detection is a fairly simple thing to detect but perfect detection is damm near impossible. From the players point of view, making the quest for a random NPC wouldn't be particularly challenging because of all the mana/moon tunnel/gates, but making the delivery to Price or Tiro would at least introduce a reasonable amount of challenge.

How about also adding a system notification to the potential recipient requesting a response? If they do not respond by a certain time, then it would cancel and search for another candidate.
    JazmynBronzebreak
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited October 16, 2018
    How about also adding a system notification to the potential recipient requesting a response? If they do not respond by a certain time, then it would cancel and search for another candidate.

Not a bad idea, but that could lead to an infinite loop as each iteration fails again and again.
    Bronzebreak

Not a bad idea, but that could lead to an infinite loop as each iteration fails again and again.

True.
  • HelsaHelsa

True.

Maybe it could try once and then, should it fail, pick an NPC.
    BronzebreakKensamaofmariJazmyn
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    For whatever reason, I enjoy the "hide-n-seek" feel of this part-time job. I would suggest, if at the very least, that they change it where if someone is in their homestead, it doesn't pick them.

I've come across a few people in the last 2 days, a majority AFK and some of them turn up at some point and accept my trade. (Thanks to all of these great peeps.) Out of 23 jobs, I've completed 8, and only successfully contacted people 2 times with notes; otherwise, I've found them standing around.
    Kensamaofmari
  • AsurielAsuriel
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,960
    Almost perfect AFK detection is a fairly simple thing to detect but perfect detection is damm near impossible. From the players point of view, making the quest for a random NPC wouldn't be particularly challenging because of all the mana/moon tunnel/gates, but making the delivery to Price or Tiro would at least introduce a reasonable amount of challenge.

This is why they could implement a designated AFK-zone. A previous game that I played had it where if you were AFK for more than 3 minutes you would be transported to a certain area with everyone else who was AFK. And there'd be an "AFK" symbol above everyone's head.
    If they improved this PTJ, they could also make it where if you get someone who goes AFK, it switches with a, "Oh, this person appears to not be available anymore" and then gives a new person.

I agree with this part.

Ken has a decent idea, but this would work well, too. Say should someone AFK and the system moves on to a new player, then they AFK or log out? Switch to an NPC. Be it lesser known ones or Price. I don't like the idea of Tiro as I am not a fan of him being only in dungeons. Hell, the kid who is over by where we used to board boats to Iria could use some serious love, lol.
    Bronzebreak
  • AmesenpaiAmesenpai
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,695
    Why doesn't it just let us choose who we can give the package to? I mean it would just be easier.
    Asuriel
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    edited October 18, 2018
    Ive got an idea. So, lets say you go to keith.. he gives you the package to deliver to someone who is on the same channel and not in their homestead, or in a dungeon, or in a shadow mission. All you have to do is find the person and pickup the package and drop it on them like you do an NPC. It then goes into a temporary inventory of that player, and if the dont collect it before it expires, its their loss, not yours. Yes, it doesn't solve the logout or changing channels, but it allows you to give the package without them being there... so it at least solves the more annoying aspect of afking?

Amesenpai wrote: »
    Why doesn't it just let us choose who we can give the package to? I mean it would just be easier.

It would then give you the opportunity to grind for the good prizes from the package via a friend or alt, so that'll never happen.
    AsurielTHICCthighssavelives
    Jazmyn wrote: »
    Ive got an idea. So, lets say you go to keith.. he gives you the package to deliver to someone who is on the same channel and not in their homestead, or in a dungeon, or in a shadow mission. All you have to do is find the person and pickup the package and drop it on them like you do an NPC. It then goes into a temporary inventory of that player, and if the dont collect it before it expires, its their loss, not yours. Yes, it doesn't solve the logout or changing channels, but it allows you to give the package without them being there... so it at least solves the more annoying aspect of afking?

It would then give you the opportunity to grind for the good prizes from the package via a friend or alt, so that'll never happen.

Well it doesn't have to expire in temp inventory... just stuck there forever until you collect it.
    Asuriel
  • AsurielAsuriel
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,960

Well it doesn't have to expire in temp inventory... just stuck there forever until you collect it.

Staring at you menacingly for not being there when you were needed, lol
    Jazmyn
    Miruha wrote: »

Staring at you menacingly for not being there when you were needed, lol

Sorry, I am one of those AFKers xD
    You want a check for compensation?
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    I like these ideas. Keith's PTJ can choose someone who has moved or mouse-clicked in the past minute, then you can just use 'drop item' on the target to complete the PTJ.
    Jazmyn
  • HelsaHelsa
    I enjoy the "hide-n-seek" feel of this part-time job.

mhm that's why I figured Price or Tiro could fullfill that aspect.
    Why doesn't it just let us choose who we can give the package to?

I choose me! Lickity split and free mats! :)
    Miruha wrote: »
    This is why they could implement a designated AFK-zone.

Physically, moving someone to an AFK zone would be unessessary since to do so you have to run AFK detection anyway. As such that detection would be vulnerable to all the potential issues already discussed, not to mension all the kvetching it will generate as folks find themself where they don't want to be.
    this would work
    [/quote]

If we want to keep a chance of interacting with a real person this would be the best compromise between that, actually finding an available target in a reasonable time, and implementation. You are correct that using Tiro has a problem in that he only shows up in the more difficult dungeons, so for newer players, that for some strange reason are trying to get Falias objects, this could be a barrier. That could be resolved with an "if" based on total level, as has been done with G9/10 shadow missions. If they are too low in level they just get Price.