Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

New Instrument: Koto

AlexLightAlexLight
Mabinogi Rep: 1,100
in Feedback and Suggestions
I would like to see the Japanese instrument the Koto added to mabinogi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koto_(instrument)

Kensamaofmari

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited November 20, 2018
    Koto music involves using a lot of bends, (although the example you posted has none) which would involve a major update to the music engine in Mabinogi. To be sure, it would be a welcomed update as it would allow music to be more expressive in the game. For example, you could then actually do some blues wailing on electric guitar say. As it is now though, while they could easily just add Koto samples to the library, playing famous traditional Koto music on them would not sound quite the same. The tune in the video for example is a traditional Japanese children's song so not specifically a piece meant for Koto. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the idea, but it won't turn out as good as people might hope.
  • AlexLightAlexLight
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,100
    ah okay i didnt knew that
  • HelsaHelsa
    AlexLight wrote: »
    ah okay i didnt knew that

Don't worry about it. It's still a pretty good idea.
    Gremm
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    It's a good idea, but as well as the mentioned above, the Korean version (gayageum) is 12 strings while the koto is 13 strings.
    The original zheng from China is 16 strings (modern 21 strings). And there's other versions of the instrument out there as well. Could complicate things even more.
  • HelsaHelsa
    It's a good idea, but as well as the mentioned above, the Korean version (gayageum) is 12 strings while the koto is 13 strings.
    The original zheng from China is 16 strings (modern 21 strings). And there's other versions of the instrument out there as well. Could complicate things even more.

For Mabinogi the number of strings doesn't matter since there is one sample for each note in the data file. The data file knows nothing about the number of strings, just what the tones, that it has, sound like. Case in point: all the wind instruments in Mabinogi can play three notes at a time even though the real instruments are monotonic.
    Kensamaofmari