Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi's New Engine: Player Wants+Statistics

Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
edited January 18, 2017 in Town Square
This page is to discuss a widely demanded yet not touched topic on the forums. As this is considered an unsaid taboo to some normal players, this page is free for the 'Code Monkeys' to Converse on finding a way that Mabinogi can both run and look better sometime by 2020-2025. This topic can by used by other forum members, so long as they work with the nerds and understand that the current engine is 10 years old and very complex. The topic itself should never mention the anti hackware, just the way certain mechanics or graphics can be improved so that the devs in KR can gain a better understanding of the expectations of NA players living in 2017. This forum should hopefully give the global dev team an idea of where to go from here, and how they can adapt or transfer the current data with a new engine in Mabinogi.
[Deleted User]Sherri

Comments

• EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    As much as I would love to see Potatone updated, it's not something I realistically expect to happen ever...
    Frahaleah[Deleted User]KttyMiuna
  • FrahaleahFrahaleah
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,680
    @Eralea Potatone... haha.
    [Deleted User]
  • AgentJeanAgentJean
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,775
    Why does Mabi need to "run better" when all we get are AFK events?
    Greta
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    Yeah, but we don't have a physics engine; our actions are all animation-based.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited January 20, 2017
    @Eralea As much as we doubt Nexon, we're here in this post to provide feedback on how the engine could be improved through the most recent additions in technology, and what just sort of specs we're looking at.
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited January 20, 2017
    Ditch that ugly advent children style and just stay faithful to the hand-drawn manga style that mabi already uses and you got a winner :)
    Why? To avoid the Uncanny valley effect that realistic non-stylized graphics suffer from.

Should make similar-looking assets and geometry instanced, that way, walking into a crowd of players doesn't drop the FPS from 400+ to <6
    ---Instancing usually ends up looking bad because you end up with unrealistically lit/glowy people who look out of place in their poorly-modeled world. BUT! Mabinogi isn't shooting for realism, its stylized to look like comics, so it should be totally fine. And the huge boost in framerate would be a huge advantage to stability and memory leaks

Use a higher base count for the packet system so that there's less packets that hold more information

I know it sounds absurd, but having a new engine that doesn't run off of DirectX 8.1 would actually make the game even lower-spec than it already is, allowing far less privileged people to play. The math used for dx8 only ran smoothly on the old GeForce FX 5xxx line anyways :) (back when GPUs still used separate processors for shaders and math and directX was still super proprietary and nvidia and ATI used separate code making ATI and nvidia games not work on nvidia and ATI computers.)

(and nobody is going to get those old cards... They're coveted for this VERY reason, and super expensive if you don't hunt them down properly. they're also made for DX8 and run DX9 games terribly)

---
    ---
    ---
    What's code monkey ?
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    edited January 20, 2017
    @Kouyioue Code Monkey likes Fritos, Code Monkey likes Tab and Mountain Dew. (Sorry had to quote the Jonathan Coulton song XD) The term 'Code Monkey' basically refers to anyone that codes programming (for a living or otherwise).

Also, I agree regarding keeping the current style of the game with improvements. One of the biggest reasons I like the game is for its anime style. =D
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    Mabinogi slogan will always be:

We really don't care abou fire being realistic or our clothing having real physical logic behind it. The fact reminds that it needs to be anime for everyone.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    So let me get this straight, this forum has been re categorized from feedback&suggestions to General to Town Square. Is anyone even reading my OPs?
  • DealerDealer
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,325
    Darkpixie99

So let me get this straight, this forum has been re categorized from feedback&suggestions to General to Town Square. Is anyone even reading my OPs?
    With suggestions you have to follow the guidelines, we added a child category for those that don't follow them now, but before we just moved them to Gen, but it seems like something like this actually seems to be more of a Town Square thing, since they tend to be less about adding things into the game, and more about changing the entire game.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited January 20, 2017
    @Dealer But isn't changing the engine the core of the graphics and experience of Mabinogi? It's essentially the life and death of this game before 2019. If we can get players aware of this, and help the devs find a solution quickly, we can make their job easier without constantly complaining.
    Greta[Deleted User]
  • DealerDealer
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,325
    Darkpixie99

@Dealer But isn't changing the engine the core of the graphics and experience of Mabinogi? It's essentially the life and death of this game before 2019. If we can get players aware of this, and help the devs find a solution quickly, we can make their job easier without constantly complaining.
    ___

A discussion thread like this is still not a suggestion though and since it doesn't have to do with anything that is currently in game, but rather encourages players to discuss other types of games and styles they like the best place for a topic like this is TS.
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    It is not going to be easy to remake the 1000s of models and hundreds of npcs that were already added from 10 years. as a 3d modeler myself making 10 models in a single month is a 24/7 job. Plus, mabinogi story is well over 100 hours of gameplay, the game's playtesters won't find all the bugs like they did with the current one.

remaking the game means losing money and time for nexon, even if the best engine was found it will be impossible to catch up with the original, the best thing they could do is start with chapter 1 of the game then add on from there.
    [Deleted User]
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited January 21, 2017
    doesn't have to. They simply have to make the engine run off all of the old file formats and then turn it on,
    and do some cleanup from that point on...... (((best case scenario.)))

game engine =//= game editors(ce5,ue4,uni,etc.)
    [Deleted User]
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Whats going to happen in 2019? O_o
    [Deleted User]
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited January 21, 2017
    @Gaea Bigger and better games developed by other studios with bigger, better, and even custom engines will launch by 2020. This will make Mabinogi seem like an outdated game running on outdated technology. We will lose most of our community as they age out to older rated MMORPGs, one of which launches sometime 2019 with the aid of a kickstarter. These games not only run on better engines than Mabinogi, they are graphically appealing, and have amazing teams who actually communicate with the players freely on the forums. If Mabinogi can do neither a better engine, nor step up their communication between the NA community and the company, the servers will no longer receive enough funds to run.

*Edit*
    I suppose I should explain it like this. Think of Nexon as an Elderly Farmer who has lived his entire life on the farm, and learned everything by himself. Now think of the competition as a strapping Young Farmer who lives in the same community as the Elderly Farmer. This Young Farmer has learned everything from other farmers in the community, and sells his goods directly to the community while communicating with other farmers openly at the Farmer's Market. The Elderly Farmer hates the Young Farmer and will hear nothing of him from his farmhands, and refuses to attend the Farmer's Market himself. The community prefers the young farmer, because they can see and speak to him. The real question is, who yields the most crops, the Elderly Farmer or the Young Farmer? What does this do to their prices? Should the Elderly Farmer have spoken to the Young Farmer from the moment the Young Farmer opened his farm, or should he speak with him now? Would that make a difference?

*Edit*
    It's a trick question, the true answer is that as a business, profit and experience doesn't matter if you can't quickly predict problems and adapt to the situations at hand. So, how quickly CAN Nexon program a new engine for Mabinogi to run on by 2020? What kind of specs and help would it require? Would Nexon have to partner up with an old or new friend? As players, all we can do is speculate and try to help.
    [Deleted User]
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    That happens every year, it's been happening for the past 8 years. We're still here and people still come back even after years have passed.
  • PannyaPannya
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,710
    edited January 23, 2017
    Darkpixie99

... 2020-2025...
    That's pretty funny lol, the world will be a huge mess by then :-P, anyway, i wonder what kind of reactions the developers has whenever they see a topic like this one... i wonder if it's something like this:

• Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited January 24, 2017
    To be fair, 3 years is not an impossible task to upgrade something or transfer code. All you need is effort and the right people for the job.