Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Healing Skills Need a Revamp

ChaosShadowChaosShadow
Mabinogi Rep: 2,590
edited December 30, 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions
Let me preface this by saying that this is not a Cleric/Holy Arts revamp thread. This thread is strictly referring to the Healing and Party Healing skills. TL;DR is at the bottom of the post.

With the new Edern Renown buffing our HP to all new heights, and the G22 Techniques coming (I think there's one that increases HP, if I recall correctly), Healing has never before felt like such a useless skill.

With a renown bonus of 935 HP while I'm level 180 and in r1 Falcon Transformation, I have 3,379 maximum HP. If I attempt to heal myself with Dan 2 healing and 470 Magic Attack, the maximum I am able to heal is 100 HP while the average is 55~67 HP or thereabout. If I attempt to heal myself with Rank 1 Party Healing, the maximum I am able to heal is 271 HP while the average is 165~187 HP or thereabout.

Numbers as low as these are simply not viable anymore. I know there are ways to increase Healing's efficiency, but those means require players to make dedicated gear for healing, and not everyone wants to do that.

I can already imagine what kind of responses I may get, so I'm going to try and address all of them in advance:

* "Use a healing wand/get a trinity set/get healing reforges!" - See what I said above. Not everyone wants to sacrifice their armor or another set (such as Bohemian for me) just to make their healing skills more viable, and not everyone has the money to throw around on reforges.

* "Just use HP 500 Potions! They're craftable now!" - This is not a solution. This is a weak effort made by Devcat to avoid the problem of balancing skills that should be relevant, but are not. Even if we set that thought aside, there's still the issue of potion poisoning and HP 500 Potions being relatively inaccessible thanks to the tedious process of gathering Four-Leaf Clovers.

* "Buy more Nimbus pets!" - Nimbus pets aren't really that useful to players who have more than 1500 HP anymore. 150 HP per nimbus used to be incredibly useful, but as my character is now, I shouldn't have to sacrifice up to 10 hotkeys just to get approximately half of my health back. I have other pets I'd prefer to summon, and skills I'd prefer to have available for us.

* "Use Shield of Trust's Healing Hands subskill!" - Healing Hands at level 15 is only a slightly better Nimbus with a 20 second cooldown, as opposed to the Nimbus's 60 second cooldown. If you're taking hard-hitting attacks, using Shield of Trust is basically a death wish anyway thanks to the brief "buff" of advanced heavy stander. On top of that, how many players are actually going to bother doing Crusader content so that they can gain enough crusader levels to make Healing Hands useful?

* "Use Campfire and Fantastic Chorus!" - If I'm going to put forth all that effort to use campfire, burn the scented candles, and play fantastic chorus all so I can wait around while using rest, I might as well be using normal healing and nimbus pets instead.

I think that covers everything, but I may have missed something. Anyway, regarding the healing skills, I am not entirely sure how they could be improved in a way that would be considered balanced. All I know is that, as it currently stands, healing has become something of a chore for me. The down time I spend healing should be spent playing the game instead.

If anyone else has any ideas for how healing and party healing could be revamped, feel free to leave a suggestion.

TL;DR: Thanks to Edern Renown, I have so much HP that healing in all its available forms feels incredibly inefficient and outdated. As a result, I believe it is in need of a revamp. I don't have any suggestions as to how Devcat could update the skills a manner that retains their balance while being free, but if anyone else does, they're free to state it.

IGN: Chaosshadow
Server: Alexina
BlissfulkillSherriZeoSheenaPrezzixAlexLightYangKoete

Comments

• IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    With HP so high nowadays, if you take enough damage to run low, it's more efficient, potion poisoning-wise, to just rely on Full Recovery Potions.
    Although, potion poisoning works weirdly with Full Recovery Potions, in that if all you're drinking are Full Recovs, then even if you enter pot poison status, Full Recovs don't actually cause your stats to lower.

I wonder how Healing could be rebalanced to deal with the huge amount of HP you can get and the damage you can take.
    Make it heal a % of Max HP on top of the current flat rate?
    Even then, it wouldn't be so overpowered, even taking into account reforges, Trinity Set, and titles, but at least it would have more decent scaling.

I kind of saw the upper limit of what Healing can currently do now, and it was from a Party Healing Master with the Elite White Healer 2nd title, with 2 lv1 HP Recovery Reforged Accessories, a ~lv20 HP Recovery Trinity wear, with the rest of the set, and a Healing Wand, and they healed for over 300 on a single Healing orb. Regular Healing, too not Party Healing.
    Even then, having an extra %-of-Max-HP per orb bonus would help healing catch up, even if the player WASN'T decked out in "pure healer gear".

Maybe it could be... like rF ~rA it's 5% max hp per orb, r9 ~ r2 it's 7% and r1 could be 10%?
    Then it'd be like at least 50% of your max HP if all 5 orbs were used on you, though it'd be higher because it'd still have the flat amount in addition. That stamina cost would hurt though pfft.

Party Healing could be given the same treatment, but maybe a higher % of max HP, since it's only one orb.
    like 15%/20%/30%?

Healing being strong would also help balance out the fact that if someone's healing, then they're not free to deal damage. At least if it was stronger, they could finish healing and get back in to the fight faster.
    THICCthighssavelivesTwelie
  • TolnaTolna
    Mabinogi Rep: 825
    Yeah they both could use a serious buff. Rank 1 in both and at a good 1900 hp normally and it takes quite awhile to heal back up.

With all the newer raids having attacks that poison, instantly Deadly, or just plain hit hard, I am surprised Healing and Party Heal haven’t recieved some sort of numbers buff.

Or at the very least a new cleric spell that heals a large ammount with a cooldown or something. Like an Adv magic for clerics or something.
  • DraechDraech
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,390
    I'd like to add Respite to this list of outdated healing skills, which heals you (at R1) by 15 points of HP/Stamina per second, for a total of 75 points. Sure, you may get cured from poison, but the Magic/Alchemy debuff isn't worth it, and the healing alone definitely isn't.
    Twelie
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    On the topic of the traits system, Transcendent: life is an active skill that actually adds a 2nd life bar to you. (It lasts 3 mins). In practice it actually functions closer to being a shield more than anything.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    Draech wrote: »
    I'd like to add Respite to this list of outdated healing skills, which heals you (at R1) by 15 points of HP/Stamina per second, for a total of 75 points. Sure, you may get cured from poison, but the Magic/Alchemy debuff isn't worth it, and the healing alone definitely isn't.

plus i don't understand the game's reasoning of not being able to kneel and heal yourself if you don't wear knuckles.
    DraechTwelieAlfaSusi
  • AlexLightAlexLight
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,100
    A way to Buff Healing and Party Healing is to just increase the boost they get from your magic attack and it should not be to hard to do either.
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    edited January 5, 2019
    I agree that healing in general should be boosted.

I really like Iyasenu’s idea to make healing and party healing be based on the % scale rather than fixed amount of HPs it heals.. of not then it at least be scaled off Magic Attack to make your heal better like the above poster mentioned.

I am also on the same boat about Respite, it’s literslly one of the most useless skills in game and you EVEN have to equip the knuckles to use it which make people want to use it less. Just make it so you can use Respite (and Tumble too) without needing knuckles and have Respite give you maybe something like 300% recovery speed for HP, MP, Stam or whatever works for a certain time period.
    Twelie
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Looking over the future updates, G23 gets a Briogh ability, in the same vein as the ones we're getting in G22, called Area Regeneration.

Sure it heals MP and Stam, but it heals HP at a percentage rate as well.
    From: http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/18951/g22-abilities
    ZsluelV.png

I mean... it's a step in the right direction, but I kind of hope they don't just give us this and say "Well, we don't need to buff regular healing magics anymore!".
    TwelieAlexLight
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    I saw that earlier and it’s rather nice but.. I hope it doesn’t give DevCat anymore excuse to forget about the older contents though and they have a bad habit of that too. (Good example is the Erg thingy when they could have went back and revamped the spirit weapon system)
    AlexLight
  • BASS1243BASS1243
    Mabinogi Rep: 500
    Yeah, the Heal system need a Regeneration skill, like a a spell to send a cure constantly like regen, by other players or for own caster. And need a spells by cure all debuff, include poison, logic not potion poison.
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,120
    What about something like Base Heal amount + 8% of missing HP? It could scale per rank like 3% at rF and 8% at r1 but basically it gets people who are badly hurt to a middle amount of HP faster while not completely breaking the skill. This + maybe upgrades on the healing wand that increase the % or the base heal amount. They've reworked something as old as crossbow upgrades so it isn't impossible.
    BlissfulkillEdetha
  • RalikinRalikin
    Mabinogi Rep: 815
    That provocation technique...it seems to be the same range and effect as the giant's taunt skill, but where's the duration? Plus it seems anyone can target a single player to "taunt" everything in range which is a potential trolling avenue.
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    edited February 24, 2019
    I seriously think we need an advanced healing skill or a Healing Mastery skill or something.
    TolnaAlexLightAlexisEU
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    I heal like 600 with an ego.
    But pet spam is more efficient so healing is dead unless you are in a raid zone.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    How about a skill: "Heal Bomb".

It casts like meteor/LR/hail storm that causes a fireball sized explosion around the caster, whoever is hit by it heals 50% wounds, 100% HP, applies regeneration (1% per sec) for 45 secs, and applies a defensive buff that's +100 def/mdef, +20 prot/mprot for 30 secs. And it takes 5min to cool down. It takes something a full 5 secs to charge up.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    GTCvActium wrote: »

It casts like meteor/LR/hail storm that causes a fireball sized explosion around the caster, whoever is hit by it heals 50% wounds, 100% HP, applies regeneration (1% per sec) for 45 secs, and applies a defensive buff that's +100 def/mdef, +20 prot/mprot for 30 secs. And it takes 5min to cool down. It takes something a full 5 secs to charge up.

How about casting that in an area with a certain radius and everyone hurt there will get some healing?
    Maybe combine it with some shield skills.
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    GTCvActium wrote: »

How about casting that in an area with a certain radius and everyone hurt there will get some healing?
    Maybe combine it with some shield skills.

I like the idea of making a skill where if someone's in a Shield skill (Nature, Fire, Ice, Lightning), you get healed slowly over time within it. That'd be neat to have.

Have a quest where you need to get all shields to Rank A or something and then you talk to someone, do a quick dungeon run or mission or whatever for an item and come back and get the "Healing Wards" or whatever skill that makes the shields heal.