Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Arena/PVP Revamp

BloonkBloonk
Mabinogi Rep: 1,080
in Feedback and Suggestions
Back in the day, playing around in the arena was so much fun, but it was never rewarding. And because of that players rarely touch it. why not buff it and add rewards for people who take it seriously? here are some things you could do:

1.Stars are no longer traded for coins, they are instead a unique currency called "arena points" or something. after you survive a round in the arena, your stars are converted into Arena Points. the arena NPC will have a tab in their shop where they sell cool stuff for arena points :). arena coins should probably increase in price to reflect the value of the NPCs potential rewards.

2.Balance the damage and skill usage of players: "Standard" pvp has rules created by the small community of pvpers. generally, duels are at 1-2% damage, so all players in the arena should have their damage reduced to about that, maybe a bit higher because arenas are supposed to be fast paced will multiple kills and respawns. just not so outlandish that people get 1shot into deadly. also:
-potions should be disabled
-transformation should be disabled
-mana shield, while usually banned in duels, would probably be okay if the damage % is high enough.
-major cooldowns, like windguard, final hit, final shot, golden time(?) should either be disabled OR have their cooldown increased to once per round, and duration reduced.
-other abilities that are easily spammed can also have their cooldown increased or be disabled. I don't know how easy it is to edit this stuff within the game, but this is gonna take constant balancing and tuning over time.

3.Prevent win trading and farming by having all the arenas have random matchmaking. when you enter the arena, it monitors the amount of people in the arena in each channel, and moves you to one accordingly. that way there is an even spread of players between each channel.

4.Alby, Connous, and Rabbie can all have separate rulesets and rewards.
Alby is classic free-for-all.
Rabbie is like a 1v1 mode. if you want to keep the transformation theme, then go for it.
Connous is parties of 2v2 or 3v3 vs eachother. Connous arena is actually really cool as it is in game right now, because it allows party duels. But you could already do party duels outside of the arena in the EU version of mabinogi:

so if you convert connous arena into this rated pvp idea, you can just add party duels to NA as a replacement.

PVP in mabinogi is so interesting and unique that it deserves a bit more love. I would love to see more people get into the pvp community, but outside of community run tournaments there is no incentive to fight eachother. Hope something can be done in the future to make pvp more rewarding and bring more life to it :)
IGN: Bloonk

Comments

• THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited December 27, 2018
    please no more new stats/currency/exp/meters to keep track of D:

I can't comment on the rest of it since I don't pvp.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    I don't believe in disabling what I bothered to obtain and rank.
    GretaLeinei
  • BloonkBloonk
    please no more new stats/currency/exp/meters to keep track of D:

I can't comment on the rest of it since I don't pvp.

If you don't like lots of things to keep track of, this may be the wrong game for you xD.
    Gaea wrote: »
    I don't believe in disabling what I bothered to obtain and rank.

you rank skills based on the content you are doing. when was the last time you used icebolt? did you know icebolt is really good in pvp to the point it's banned in most tournaments?
    most skills are ranked for stats anyway, and certain skills are already disabled in certain content. IE: No shadow cloak in Sidhe Finnachaid. Balancing is important.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    Taking away what people work for to force them to work around something isn't a good idea and would only strive to alienate players.

I use Icebolt pretty frequently.

I agree that the arena or pvp area could use a revamp, but maybe it would be better as a complete overhaul. IF a skill negating option is implemented it should just be an option, not mandatory. That will allow players to choose and avoid upsetting them.
  • BloonkBloonk
    Thank you for your guys' input, I appreciate the opposite point of view. I guess I just don't see the problem with disabling abilities in certain content because they make the game unfun or imbalanced.
    Leinei wrote: »
    Taking away what people work for to force them to work around something isn't a good idea and would only strive to alienate players.

First you have to understand that certain abilities have no place in PvP, because they were designed for PvE. Do you remember doing saga episode 4 back in the day and dying because one of the unknown men used FH and infinitely combo'd you? imagine every time you load into a rated PVP instance (where there are prizes at stake) and a player loads FH and kills you in 5 seconds without you being able to react. it takes no skill, that's why people agree not to use it in duels. if a player loads windguard no matter what you do they get 100 prot and are IMMUNE TO HIT-STUN. for 50+ seconds they are basically unkillable, it doesn't belong in pvp. You can infinitely trap somebody by spamming Ice Spear. transformation heals you and gives you a boost in survivability. wings of eclipse makes you unkillable until they break through the shield. the list goes on and on.
    Leinei wrote: »
    I agree that the arena or pvp area could use a revamp, but maybe it would be better as a complete overhaul. IF a skill negating option is implemented it should just be an option, not mandatory. That will allow players to choose and avoid upsetting them.

This is a great idea for single duels, sort of like the arena in runescape: Individual players decide on what abilities and items to allow/ban. I think an in-game system should be implemented to ban skills in DUELS, so it's not just on an honor system.

But this is besides the point: in a random matchmaking system, all the rules should be the same for every participant. if they had to seperate all brackets based on what skills you want to use/ban, then suddenly there are 20 people who play by a standard ruleset and 1 person who "wants to use FH because I worked super hard for it." Do they deserve a seperate arena? a separate bracket? Seperate rewards? They have alienated themselves because they refuse to abide by the same rules as everybody else.

If you anybody has read through this long post I thank you for listening.Otherwise TL;DR certain skills would only be disabled for good reason. use them to your heart's content in other content.
  • BASS1243BASS1243
    Mabinogi Rep: 500
    Wow, is awsome the HUD of u Mabinogi, is official from NEXON Eur?
    my HUD not looks like this :/
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    put a poll in your thread, OP. :)