Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

SUGGESTION! Gender Restricted Items

belleebellee
Mabinogi Rep: 1,120
edited January 7, 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions
Hello,
I know a lot of my friends or people in general that play the opposite gender in game. I am female irl, have only been playing as a female character and I would really like to rebirth as a male (and be handsomeee) but it just occurred to me that I will not be able to use my Armor/Gear since they are gender restricted. It is limiting combat wise.

I would like to propose the idea to have some sort of a time restricted way like a scroll/pot? that will let us use the opposite genders items, specifically armor/combat/buff gear.

Perhaps like the Appearace Scroll when the “pot/scroll” gets used on the target item, it takes the appearance of that items opposite version but the stats/enchants/reforge stay the same?

Would love to hear back, thank you! ❤️
  1. Do you support this idea?18 votes
    1. Yes!
       83% (15 votes)
    2. Nah
       17% (3 votes)

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    We've had this discussion a lot through the years.
    It's a new year, so time for a new discussion.

It would be interesting to see if we can cross use some items across genders. I just don't think all of them.

As for a scroll/pot, do you mean temporarily switch the said item to the opposite gender?
    That's certainly interesting.
  • belleebellee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,120
    edited January 7, 2019
    @kensamaofmari

Hello!
    The scroll/pot was just a suggestion of a way it could be done. Like the appearance scroll, if its applied to the target item, it will take the appearance of the items opposite version (so that its wearable) but the stats/reforge/enchants/erg be the same. It can be either temporary (1 day, 7 days, 30 days) or permanent (with a removable scroll to re-do the action)
  • RRMRRM
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,590
    edited January 7, 2019
    bellee wrote: »
    Perhaps like the Appearace Scroll when the “pot/scroll” gets used on the target item, it takes the appearance of that items opposite version but the stats/enchants/reforge stay the same?
    Unfortunately that won't work, the game doesn't know what any item's "opposite" is. Outfit and item "sets" aren't a thing the game actually tracks, if you grab one item the game doesn't actually know what else matches with it. Item sets are a social construct.

While the game could be made to do some guesses based on the item name, problem is that sometimes items in the same sets have wildly different names. Consider the Illusion Suit (M) and the Glamour Dress (F). They are the opposites of a set (added at the same time, right next to each other internally, same theme, and usingh the "magicboy" and "magicgirl" animations internally) but a name search wouldn't catch that association.

Something like allowing males to put on female items and such is another suggestion, but unfortunately that wouldn't work either. Male and female players in Mabi are actually different races and need different models. While many clothes have multiple models associated with them (male and female human/elf, models for giants too), most clothing released nowadays only has models for a single gender associated to it. If a single-gender item was worn by the opposite gender anyways, it would lead to one of two situations (depending on the item).

A - No model would load, leading to an invisible body with a floating head, like in the below screenshot. This was seen with the cooking contest female winner outfit (before they fixed it), which only had a female model but was accidentally set to go on any gender. Males wearing it would have an invisible body as the game loaded no model for it. You can also see this by using various bugs that result in incorrect model loading, like the giant-detrans-on-a-tower-cylinder bug.
    oJVKHAS.png

B - The model will load, but with disconnected joints and holes around connection points due to the slightly different shapes of males and females. This was seen with some buggy end-of-RP mission thing some people ran into that I don't remember the details of but took note of it and have the gif saved because I'm a freaking nerd like that.
    3X0wvJb.gif

Anyways don't get me wrong, I don't like how outfits are gender-locked in Mabi either. It's especially bad when it's things like hats. HATS. You're telling me I'm the wrong gender to WEAR A HAT? I may not be the sharpest crayon in the knife drawer but even I know that's dumb.

Unfortunately due to the way items and outfits are set up in Mabi, the only way to "merge" items or allow cross-dressing would be for the devs to manually go back and edit all the existing items to have the right model references for each gender in them (making new models where needed) and then mark the items as wearable by all. It's definitely something they could do...

But KR would rather re-sell the Eluned version in the next gacha instead.
    CarlizeGreta
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    I'm all for universal clothes made for all species, all ages, and both sexes. I'd prefer to use a skill to modify the gear instead of a potion, like using tailoring or blackmithing to alter an item's size.
  • SheenaSheena
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,515
    We could use an NPC that trades our clothes for the counterpart version.
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    I like the idea of making outfits unrestricted to both genders, all three races, etc...

My only concern is that UNLESS DevCat make it so those kind of stuffs would be more common from events and gachapon so more people can get them... it will just make items more expensive for everyone to try to get (as female items are usually more expensive than the male counterpart, at least on Alexina server) so it’s something that need to be addressed.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    ^ I don't understand the problem... Are you saying female items should be the same market price as male items?
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    The title is extremely misleading.

To me, anyway.