Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Spam Bots

Echo83Echo83
Mabinogi Rep: 435
edited January 16, 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions
So CH1 is notorious for having constant spam bots in populated places (Dunby). I add them to blacklist, an hour later there's a new one.

Solution:
New players can only send public chat messages once they reach cumulative 1000 and beat G1. Until then they are only able to communicate with friends.

Pros:
- reduce the amount of spam bots
- make spam more difficult

Cons:
- it isn't a perma solution because if the spammer is persistent, they will attempt to hit the level 1000 and G1 completion
- genuine new players may have issues communicating but if they get stuck, there's always the option of asking forums or in game players via notes. However considering from my experience newbies are pretty propped up at this point to reach 1000 fast.
  1. Do you think this is a good idea?14 votes
    1. Yes
       21% (3 votes)
    2. No
       57% (8 votes)
    3. Partially (post your feedback)
       14% (2 votes)
    4. There's a better solution (post your feedback)
       7% (1 vote)

Comments

• LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    How are new players supposed to ask for help if they can't talk?
    FaybalTheNyanCat
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,050
    edited January 16, 2019
    Leinei wrote: »

im assuming OP meant that newbies would add people then ask for help that way ("Until then they are only able to communicate with friends", at least I assume thats what they meant by this line) or notes I suppose.

Tbh im not sure entirely how this would play out given that memoirs are now a thing (g1 might be the trickiest thing to consider then),Incorporating G1 in the tutorial might help. There should still be a better way to go about this without hurting new players too much.

With this however it might annoy some veterans getting numerous friend requests or the new player not able to add people with full lists. note system sometimes lags or maybe that just me.
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    edited January 16, 2019
    No. Just no. Forcing people to accept adds by random people is stupid. They should not be limited to were they can't speak in chat for the first 1k levels.

Not everyone wants to be added by people though. I hardly accept people's friend requests anymore because alot of the time it's people being dumb. I will give you an example, This happened to me the other night, when I was on my RP Alt character:
    ws9jJ4m.png

I'm sorry but after playing this game for 8 years, and having had this happen to me multi times, I only add people to my friends list if they talk to me in public/if I am selling an Item/or they note me. Random adds get deleted instantly.
    SebastianVeylaineWolfsingerKensamaofmariTheNyanCatLeinei
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870

There is the Altruist system, but I feel like people don't use that genuinely. Nonetheless it's still a method. Ultimately, I feel like there isn't a solid way of counteracting spam bots in a way that doesn't allow them to simply find new outlets. They're pretty annoying, but I think they're gonna be around a lot longer, unfortunately.
    VeylaineFaybal
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    No. Just no. Forcing people to accept adds by random people is stupid. They should not be limited to were they can't speak in chat for the first 1k levels.

Not everyone wants to be added by people though. I hardly accept people's friend requests anymore because alot of the time it's people being dumb. I will give you an example, This happened to me the other night, when I was on my RP Alt character:
    ws9jJ4m.png

I'm sorry but after playing this game for 8 years, and having had this happen to me multi times, I only add people to my friends list if they talk to me in public/if I am selling an Item/or they note me. Random adds get deleted instantly.

My sympathies Faye, actually had something similar happen recently. First time for me, but....
    Yeah, that is extremely annoying.

Tbh I don't think this is a solution to the bots at all. Even with the webshop they just have to gain a few levels, which is not hard to do particularly with the memoirs event that has already been mentioned. I just don't believe its a viable, useful or would-ever-be-successful option
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    This is a horrible idea.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    No, they need to hire someone or some people to just log in and monitor from somewhere, and as soon as that bot appears, find them and get rid of them for good.
  • FaybalFaybal
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,775
    ... I remember a whole event about the bot bombs...
    Can't they just add that but like for chat spammers? Idk the exact perameters.
    Or maybe have a community spam bot force?
    Or maybe have an option to report the spam bots, and once enough reports are accumulated, their chat gets restricted to 1 msg/min for an hour?
    Idk, the whole bot system is screwed to the ground nowadays with reforge selling bots.
    Maybe start there with personal shop restrictions?

This idea wouldn't work though.
  • Echo83Echo83
    Mabinogi Rep: 435
    Thanks for the feedback all. Was an idea. I personally only go to Ch1 to sell stuff from inventory, otherwise I never go near it due to the excessive spam.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    As far as I can tell using Enthrall with say a bear on them is the only kind of griefing that won't get you in trouble. :)
    Leinei
    edited January 17, 2019
    A lot of spam comes from party ads. While we have the option to close that chat, it resets upon changing channels or relog, which is annoying.
    Then there's only half the annoyance left with bot spam.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    Helsa wrote: »
    As far as I can tell using Enthrall with say a bear on them is the only kind of griefing that won't get you in trouble. :)

I thought they could still talk when dead?
    Helsa wrote: »

I thought they could still talk when dead?

Yes, if they have someone to press escape on what to do after death options, one can still speak.