Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

NPC/Likeability Rehaul

FaybalFaybal
Mabinogi Rep: 1,775
edited January 14, 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions
So, I was just wondering what the whole point of likeability/NPCs was besides skills. I just found them to be means of selling/buying/storyline/skill progression rather than assets of the game. It dawned on me that perhaps the likeability/NPC system deserved a rehaul as to incorporate NPCs into the gameplay.
This is my idea:

Article I: Interactions
1. NPCs' likeability does not naturally decay any more. It isn't realistic to keep gifting an item to the NPC to maintain the likeability. It's unrealistic to have to log in to gift Effie something every day.
2. Interactions with NPCs will instead either increase or decrease their likeability level. This can include, but is not limited to: Purchasing from them, Selling items to them, Gifting them items, doing their Part-time jobs, talking to them, clearing certain storylines/generation quests, etc.)
2a. For example, shopping with a grocer NPC (we'll use Glenis for this example) will increase their likeability. However, it will decrease all other grocer NPC's likeabilites by the same amount. This applies to all others (with the exception of Fleta, as she is considered 'magical equipment repair'.)
2b. The same concept applies to selling items to them.
2c. Doing their PTJ applies the same concept. The goal here is not to befriend ALL NPCs, but rather a specific NPC.
3. Doing generation quests, (Such as G2 involving price, or G9-G12 involving Dorren,) will contribute to likeability. How the likeability impacts gameplay will be discussed below.
4.Likeability will increase like the commerce levels (and decrease as such).
Article II: Application to Gameplay
1. Increasing the likeability of an NPC provides many bonuses.
1a. Upon reaching different levels, you can benefit from discounts from a NPC's store (Similar to the Elf/Giant support discount, except it changes from level to level.)
For example, Lvl 1 is 1%, lvl 2 is 3%, Lvl 3 is 5%, Lvl 4 is 7&, lvl 5 is 8%, lvl 6 is 9%, and Lvl 7 (Max Lvl) is 10%.
Obviously, these values can be adjusted as seen fit in case these numbers are over/underpowered.
2. Reaching levels of likeability can grant bonus stats (similar to the Edern/Endelyon/Eluned renown). Of course, these can be quite potent when stacked, which is why I suggested the "interacting with 1 NPC decreases other's" idea. Of course, you can still stack different NPCs (Edern has no effect on Stewart's, for example.)
Stats vary from NPC to NPC. They can also increase based on the level of likeability.
3. If the NPC repairs items, increasing their likeability can also increase their repair rate. For example, Nerys, who has a 95% repair rate, can increase the repair rate to 99% naturally (while keeping costs as if it were 95% repair). This allows for 100% repair to still be possible, albeit at an increased rate. Repairing at other NPCs will also decrease/increase likeability accordingly.
3a. This would require all NPCs to have to start out with 95% (or less) repair rate, making the player have to interact with the NPC in order to increase the repair rate. This can be Negligible if you guys feel that it wouldn't work. Alternatively, 100% repair can alltogether be removed, but I doubt that would please the players.
4. Just for fun, you can earn a title for maxing out an NPC's likeability. Of course, the stats can vary depending on the practicality of the titles. Just an idea. I believe they had them in the past.
5. I liked the idea of the whole Likeability system in G20, but I felt that it should've had a bigger impact and it should be applied to the whole NPC system.
6. Talking to NPC using journal/keywords should impact the NPC. For example, talking to Effie about Private story can prompt the player with decisions on what to say. Saying the wrong thing (ex. "I hate your look today!") can decrease the Likeability. This will be in dialogue.
7. PTJs will have increased rewards based on likeability. This plays on to the system of Basic/Int/Adv part time jobs already present in the game. However, the whole system is impractical. Doing hundreds of PTJs consistently to obtain "Advanced" rank PTJs for minimal rewards isn't great. It might've worked before, but this isn't 2008 Mabi. You'd be better off spending your time doing SMs to earn gold rather than PTJs. Of course, failing to do a PTJ also decreases the likeability. Doing another NPC's PTJ decreases likeability of all other NPCs of the same type.
8. Doing generation quests involving certain NPCs will increase/decrease their likeability. For example, G2 will increase Price's likeability.
Article III. NPC Categories

General Store
Malcolm (Tir)
Walter (Dunbarton)
Gilmore (Bangor)
Galvin (Emain Macha)
Lorraine (Dugald)
Elain (Sen Mag)
Marcellus (Silab)
Granites (Filia)
Zeder (Vales)
Pierrick (Tailteann)
Ilsa (Tara)
Siobhanin (Cobh)
Vanalen (Belvast)

Grocery/Restaurant
Caitin (Tir)
Glenis (Dunbarton)
Tupai (Cor)
Wanst (Vales)
Annick (Cobh)
Jennifer (Bangor)
Lucas (Emain)
Ruwai (Cor)
Fraser (Emain)
Gordon (Emain)
Shena (Emain)
Glewyas (Tara)

Weapons/Smithing
Edern (Bangor)
Nerys (Dunbarton)
Ferghus (Tir)
Olsa (Emain)
Nicca (Qilla)
Meles (Filia)
Taunes (Vales)
Waboka (Cor)
Kelpie (Calida)
Colm (Tara)
Kayna (Cobh)
Blyss (Belvast)
Elen (Bangor)

Clothing
Simon (Dunbarton)
Lepus (Filia)
Kusina (Cor)
Brenda (Tailteann)
Eluned (Tara)
Ailionoa (Emain)
Effie (Qilla)
Nora (Tir)

Magic
Eabha (Tailteann)
Dorren (Tailteann)
Heledd (Tara)
Stewart (Dunbarton)
Lassar (Tir)
Weiss (Filia)
Finola (Tara)
Castenea (Filia)
Kirine (Vales)

Healers/Churches
Kousai (Cor)
Agnes (Emain)
Heulfryn (Qilla)
Atrata (Filia)
Belita (Calida)
Nessa (Tara)
Collen (Tailteann)
Beirnes (Belvast)
Dilys (Tir)
Manus (Dunbarton)
Endelyon (Tir)
Comgan (Bangor)
James (Emain)
Kristell (Dunbarton)

Banking/Office
Bebhinn (Tir)
Austeyn (Dunbarton)
Eavan (Dunbarton)
Bryce (Bangor)
Ethna (Qilla)
Hagel (Filia)
Weide (Vales)
Arenen (Calida)
Keith (Tara)

Misc/Storyline
Nele (Emain)
Deian (Tir)
Tracy (Logging Camp)
Aeria (Dunbarton)
Fleta (Sen Mag)
Del/Delen (Emain)
Price (Uladh)
Alexina (Qilla)
Ascon (Cobh)
Owen (Belvast)
Eirawen (Tara)

Please feel free to provide your thoughts, comments, and suggestions on here too! I just thought it'd be a nice idea to try to incorporate NPCs into a meaningful way. Thanks!
Neverim

Comments

• THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    I had a similar idea way back when. here's an excerpt:

http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/17110/merge-renown-and-npc-intimacy-into-one-system/p1
    Basically, I want to expand the existing NPC Intimacy system to include renown benefits, renown tasks, and the renown window. It will be ONE unified system that keeps track of how much any NPC likes or respects you. All NPCs will be converted to this new system. If they like you enough, you get a benefit. Any benefit you can think of can be included: Combat bonuses, secret shop access, unlock quests, shop discounts, and so on. To impress an NPC, give them gifts, do actions they like (like the current renown tasks), converse with them, complete their Part Time Jobs, and so on. In general, getting NPC benefits will be easier since you have more options to work with.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    I don't remember if completing part time jobs raises intimacy, but I think part time jobs needs an overhaul not just in variety and rewards, but help raises intimacy with that NPC. And more NPCs should have jobs, not just a select few.
  • FaybalFaybal
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,775
    Yeah, I agree with the NPCs needing added PTJs. Part time jobs should also have more effect on gameplay rather than being an obsolete task to do. The people really only do PTJs for HW/HS seeds nowadays.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    Faybal wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree with the NPCs needing added PTJs. Part time jobs should also have more effect on gameplay rather than being an obsolete task to do. The people really only do PTJs for HW/HS seeds nowadays.

You should check out this thread: "Revamped Jobs"
    http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/comment/111192/#Comment_111192
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Faybal wrote: »

You should check out this thread: "Revamped Jobs"
    http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/comment/111192/#Comment_111192

Just added a new suggestion there to keep it alive.