Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Something is going on at Nexon HQ from news

Comments

• RainTheMainlessRainTheMainless
    Mabinogi Rep: 835
    Helsa wrote: »
    I'll admit, I'm kinda ignorant about this can someone explain the pro's and cons of:
    EA, Tencent, Bandai Namco, Netmarble, and any potential others?

Gonna take some research.
    Please stand by.

I'm giddy with school-girl anticipation!

I would also like to see this pro and con list. :)
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Considering how EA is handling the whole Battlefield situation. Both as marketing and as a business.

Ew.
  • LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,360
    edited January 17, 2019
    I'll admit, I'm kinda ignorant about this can someone explain the pro's and cons of:

I'm not familiar with Netmarble but I can do a simple list for the other companies, and how they will potentially benefit Nexon's MMOs as a whole or may lead to their quick demise.

EA Pros:
    - Have experience in maintaining and developing for an MMO (The Old Republic).
    - Aggressive marketing.
    - Large staff across the board in multiple studios.

EA Cons:
    -PR and customer service is atrocious
    -Origin, a vulnerable service that is constantly attacked by hackers which have successfully stolen personal data from.
    -Known to just leave franchises to rot, forgotten, or to be made into poorly done phone ports later on.

Tencent Pros:
    - Experience in maintaining MMOs
    - They make extremely smart investments: Riot (League of Legends) and Epic Games (Fortnite)
    - They give their branches more freedom than most large parenting companies.

Tencent Cons:
    - Core focus is in China. Very little interest in expanding into the west, only invest in western titles to sell back into China for a bigger cut.
    - QQ, even though they don't use this outside of China, is a pretty shady chat messaging service that is required to install their MMOs. During the installation of their games you have to decline a lot of optional installations, unless you want unnecessary bloatware and adware.

Bandai Namco Pros:

Bandai Namco Cons:
    - Inexperienced in developing and running MMOs.
    - Video game quality (objectively based off of glitches and optimization) and support are both extremely inconsistent.

Personally, I don't think anything extremely bad will happen to Nexon, or towards Mabinogi if they were picked up by another company. Worst case scenario is that any of these companies pull an EA where EA buys out dev companies only to dissect them and scatter their pieces everywhere beyond the point of recognition.
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,050
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Getting competitive I see.
    Disney has way too much assets to do this well. Too far spread out.
    They should stick to normal media.
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    Veylaine wrote: »

Wow, was not expecting Disney to be a part of this.
    Sebastian wrote: »
    Veylaine wrote: »

Wow, was not expecting Disney to be a part of this.

Disney has been on a buying spree the last couple years. But I dont think they have much strengths in gaming. I would not like to see these games fall into their hands.
    VeylaineLiberateWolfsingerImaizumiSherri
  • ZuomoZuomo
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,015
    Will be waiting for g30 where we go on a journey with Donald and goofy and that darn duck just refuses to heal us.
    WolfsingerKingEphySherriroseangelKakiPi
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited January 19, 2019
    Zuomo wrote: »
    Will be waiting for g30 where we go on a journey with Donald and goofy and that darn duck just refuses to heal us.

But we'd also get to fight Darth Vader with Iron Man helping us. And a Mabinogi live action movie. :)
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Rajinsu wrote: »
    so does that mean if its sold off we would have to redownload the game under the new owners site and start all over agin?

When Nexon lost Dragon Nest, DN's new owners allowed people a certain timespan to transfer all of their data.

With a game like Mabinogi, I would expect the same courtesy.
    Negumiko
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    so does that mean if its sold off we would have to redownload the game under the new owners site and start all over agin?

When Nexon lost Dragon Nest, DN's new owners allowed people a certain timespan to transfer all of their data.

That completely makes sense, because if you buy Mabinogi your goal isn't just to buy the code what you really want is to buy all of us, and you can't do that unless we get to keep all our ones and zeroes.
    Negumiko
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,765
    edited January 19, 2019

That completely makes sense, because if you buy Mabinogi your goal isn't just to buy the code what you really want is to buy all of us, and you can't do that unless we get to keep all our ones and zeroes.

Mabinogi is a great game but there are a lot of players that wouldn't want to start all over. buying the game itself and losing most of the player population because of lost accounts and characters would just be a bad business move for any company. another mmo that got sold to another company was Spiral Knights, all the character data was transferred with it cause they knew the game itself would be almost worthless without it's loyal player base. it is just a smart business move that ends up benefiting both the players and the company that wants to make most money from the game.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Well good luck to the new company trying to learn how the data and codes are managed int his game.
    Wolfsinger
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited January 20, 2019
    I remember when KOG was reclaiming Grand Chase from SG Interactive. If you wanted that your account would be transferred, you needed to fill out information of your existing account, which in process automatically creates your new KOG account or just merge your both existing accounts if you had a KOG one (i merged since I already had Elsword account in KOG so i would feel more or less safe in case of data loss). In the end, account tranfer was successful and accounts who didn't do the process for merging/transferring got wiped. We had a month to do this so i had no issues with it.
    Too bad KOG nuked the game anyway after half a year or so claiming that they tried everything to bring back the game, but i didnt even see that much of trying, they just wanted to concentrate on more profitable ripoff Elsword. And now they slapped old Grand Chase veterans in the face with their new mobile "sequel" version which got released last year. Waiting till they add some crap like Elsword characters in there because that's dam expactable from someone like KOG.
  • RajinsuRajinsu
    Mabinogi Rep: 435
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    As long as it's not Bandai Namco, we'll be fine. -- @Kensamaofmari

I don't think they're in the mix lol. But you never know.
    In my opinion, Netmarble will be ok.

Netmarble is that last co u would want to take this game lol.They are a very bad co that does not care about there players at all.I played uncharted waters online under them and at the end of a lot of probs they had a huge sell acting like it was a normal thing thin closed the servers with out telling any one of its players till after that they had sold the game .It thin moved to ogp who was not better at all doing more or less the same.
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    As long as it's not Bandai Namco, we'll be fine. -- @Kensamaofmari

I don't think they're in the mix lol. But you never know.
    In my opinion, Netmarble will be ok.

Netmarble is that last co u would want to take this game lol.They are a very bad co that does not care about there players at all.I played uncharted waters online under them and at the end of a lot of probs they had a huge sell acting like it was a normal thing thin closed the servers with out telling any one of its players till after that they had sold the game .It thin moved to ogp who was not better at all doing more or less the same.

Just have to pick the best of the available rotting apples.
  • JulieJulie
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    Liberate wrote: »

I'm not familiar with Netmarble but I can do a simple list for the other companies, and how they will potentially benefit Nexon's MMOs as a whole or may lead to their quick demise.

EA Pros:
    - Have experience in maintaining and developing for an MMO (The Old Republic).
    - Aggressive marketing.

EA Cons:
    -PR and customer service is atrocious
    -Origin, a vulnerable service that is constantly attacked by hackers which have successfully stolen personal data from.
    -Known to just leave franchises to rot, forgotten, or to be made into poorly done phone ports later on.

Tencent Pros:
    - Experience in maintaining MMOs
    - They make extremely smart investments: Riot (League of Legends) and Epic Games (Fortnite)
    - They give their branches more freedom than most large parenting companies.

Tencent Cons:
    - Core focus is in China. Very little interest in expanding into the west, only invest in western titles to sell back into China for a bigger cut.
    - QQ, even though they don't use this outside of China, is a pretty shady chat messaging service that is required to install their MMOs. During the installation of their games you have to decline a lot of optional installations, unless you want unnecessary bloatware and adware.

Bandai Namco Pros:

Bandai Namco Cons:
    - Inexperienced in developing and running MMOs.
    - Video game quality (objectively based off of glitches and optimization) and support are both extremely inconsistent.

Personally, I don't think anything extremely bad will happen to Nexon, or towards Mabinogi if they were picked up by another company. Worst case scenario is that any of these companies pull an EA where EA buys out dev companies only to dissect them and scatter their pieces everywhere beyond the point of recognition.

I think you are missing things, atleast with EA, I played a few of their games before and i mean MMOs, if there's ever anything i noticed throughout the years, they killed off many of their MMOs, and they have also killed off many of their devstudios, and i believe that mabi may not sit to well on being "safe"
    Imaizumi
    Here's a little of my opinion on Disney without going in too much.

Why Disney is not a good candidate unless they are simply majority shareholders.

Disney does not have a whole lot of experience in gaming. They've produced few games over the years and have had not had a punch in the market.

(Personally, from experience I've played 2 Disney online games, one was about helping Disney characters fight against some evil "bots" called Cogs from taking over. While fun, it did not have a lasting impact. The other was Pirates of the Caribbean Online which was meh)

These are their experiences and assets in gaming
    Disney Games and Interactive Experiences
    Disney Mobile
    Starwave Mobile[25]
    Disney Canada Inc. (developer of Club Penguin Island)
    Gamestar
    Rocket Pack[26]
    DCPI Labs team[27]
    The Muppets Studio (formerly Muppets Holding Company LLC)

Why Disney can be a help as a majority shareholder.
    By buying the Nexon brand, they can offer a higher level of marketing and create a higher flow of capital.
    Nexon continues to function as Nexon and there may not be any adverse changes or autonomy in operations.

Why Disney may want to buy
    As the market for digital gaming continues to grow, expand and develop, a major corporation like Disney does not want to lag behind and acquiring Nexon and its assets could help Disney take a major step in the industry to become a major power. Disney has already shown its interest in the world of gaming with its extensive coverage and content of Esports on its ESPN subsidiary.

Risks
    Whether Nexon runs smoothly or not, there presents the chance that Disney may want to phase out certain operations which may have an adverse effect. Consolidate and assimilate operations which may shut down operations. As a large global company with many assets, underperforming sectors are subject to be cut. As Nexon has had some struggles over the years, that risk exists if acquired by Disney. Disney would not hesitate such moves to turn profit and satisfy its shareholders.
    VeylaineLiberateSherri
  • LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,360
    edited January 23, 2019
    Julie wrote: »

I think you are missing things, atleast with EA, I played a few of their games before and i mean MMOs, if there's ever anything i noticed throughout the years, they killed off many of their MMOs, and they have also killed off many of their devstudios, and i believe that mabi may not sit to well on being "safe"

That is where point "-Known to just leave franchises to rot, forgotten, or to be made into poorly done phone ports later on." stands. Also, I'm aware they've hosted many online games, but very few MMOs, and are prone to discontinue services after a set time. Their largest MMO (The Old Republic) on the other hand, despite being a blunder on launch, is still online and still receives support from EA.
    Veylaine
    Inb4 NBC Universal takes interest.
    Liberate