Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Plans if the MERGE occurs

Comments

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited January 28, 2019
    Rather simple honestly. Despite Hardmuscle being a Hardknuckle, it's true - this shouldn't even be a concern. A merger comes with some annoyances but we do need to lay some of these misconceptions or conjectures to rest. IF and when they decide to implement this we need to be understanding and remain clam. Take your own personal precautions (I am encouraging them tbh, document and take inventory of anything and everything). A server merge is a complicated and delicate process that has to be carefully and meticulously prepared for (ESPECIALLY with an obsolete engine). Even then, problems WILL arise despite all precautions taken.

Instead of making fear mongering threads like these - just be rational, use critical thinking and logic. I know OP tried to in this thread but...OP hasn't been playing as long, sorry. Us veterans know the history and some of the inner workings and intricate complications of this frankenstein version of this game.
    Zeo
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited January 28, 2019
    Leinei wrote: »
    I remember that Nexon wound up moving guild stones during the Mabinogi Anniversary because of the festival location in Tir by the moongate/trading tent, so it is possible for them to do. =3

Mhm. And when they installed Poulnabrone they had to move stones. They even said where they were moving them.
    Gaea wrote: »
    Guild stones do not store gold or GP, they are merely kiosks where you drop that stuff off into the guild's "account". When guilds want to move their guild stone they first have to destroy it. This action does NOT wipe gold or GP from the guild.

Okay, good, thanks. That answers my question in post 3 of this thread. So no issue there.

As part of preparing folks for it, it would be good to discuss any issues that may cause concern. I've been active in that regard for a while. But you do raise an issue here, that I have alluded to in the past, that maybe should be addressed. And so to wit:

For a merge to happen, with respect to guild stone placement, Nexon can handle it in one of two ways: either delete them all, or move some. Deleting them all for Nexon is the easiest to do. It would DRAMATICALLY reduce the actual time it takes to perform the maintenance it's self. But would be the most contentious. Must they delete them all though? I don't think so. The only real problem are stones occupying the same spot. Stones that are uniquely situated need not be affected. So what do they do?

- First, they identify all stones that overlap. Next, they either decide which stone wins or they have no stones win, which will open up popular spots. What will the client base hate more: everyone losing their primo spot or almost everyone losing their primo spot? I'll let other folks decide that. Note: Nexon WILL want to know this!
    - Second, while the servers are still divided, the GM's will log into each individual one and move the stones to be moved to a planned spot that takes into account the post merge situation.
    - Third, the databases are merged.
    - Fourth, the game goes back on line.

Of course this means the time taken by the maintenance will require GM's logging in and moving stones around which will make it a fairly long time.

Zeo
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    edited January 28, 2019
    Then how about on the website? How would they distinguish two guilds of the same name in regard to the Community Section where Guilds are handled? They tag a Server and then the Guild Name currently.
    Zeo
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    Then how about on the website? How would they distinguish two guilds of the same name in regard to the Community Section where Guilds are handled? They tag a Server and then the Guild Name currently.

Actually, the guild’s are weird in this sense. You can’t have a guild named something like “Pure” on Alexina if there’s s guild already named that in another server from what I have noticed. You also would notice that there’s no two guilds with the same name in two different servers so guilds are not as much of an issue when it comes to merging the servers.
    Leinei[Deleted User]
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    So you are telling us that we shouldn't make or continue any Server Merge topics just because it was already discussed?
    Some people did, some people didn't and some people still want to continue this topic.
    This is not your forums to make the rules here. If it goes against something, it will get removed by Nexon.
    LeineiZeo
  • LeineiLeinei
    edited January 28, 2019
    If you'll kindly look at the title as well. There is an 'if' as well. IF the merge occurs.
    Zeo
  • LeineiLeinei
    Zeo wrote: »

Actually, the guild’s are weird in this sense. You can’t have a guild named something like “Pure” on Alexina if there’s s guild already named that in another server from what I have noticed. You also would notice that there’s no two guilds with the same name in two different servers so guilds are not as much of an issue when it comes to merging the servers.

That's good to know! Unless you know the specifics of a guild in regard to its existence on the website (by traits be it friendship/battle/etc) it could cause a good deal of confusion for those applying. =D
  • HelsaHelsa
    @Helsa How do you think they'll handle guilds of the same name, or is that not a concern like the character names? =D

It's not an issue since guild names are unique across all servers.

[Deleted User]Leinei
  • LeineiLeinei
    Helsa wrote: »
    @Helsa How do you think they'll handle guilds of the same name, or is that not a concern like the character names? =D

Sweet. Guess people will have to look for the guild leaders in the event of guilds of the same name then. =T
  • HelsaHelsa

Sweet. Guess people will have to look for the guild leaders in the event of guilds of the same name then. =T

No guilds will have the same name; they can't. When I made my guild, my first name attempt was rejected, so I had to make the named spelled slightly differently. I didn't realize at the time that that is why the name was rejected; I thought it was because of a text filter. I found out later that the name I wanted was an already existing guild on Tarlach. This means that you can have guilds with very similar names but that can happen regardless of a server merge.
  • LeineiLeinei
    edited January 28, 2019

No guilds will have the same name; they can't. When I made my guild, my first name attempt was rejected, so I had to make the named spelled slightly differently. I didn't realize at the time that that is why the name was rejected; I thought it was because of a text filter. I found out later that the name I wanted was an already existing guild on Tarlach. This means that you can have guilds with very similar names but that can happen regardless of a server merge.

Ah... so what Zeo says is true. Cool! That's at least one issue people won't have to worry about!

Oh, wait, what about Whisper in-game? That's done by using the @ symbol and then a name after. Any idea how they'd handle that? Or do you think any people with that name would get any message directed to one of them?
  • ZeoZeo
    edited January 28, 2019

Ah... so what Zeo says is true. Cool! That's at least one issue people won't have to worry about!

Oh, wait, what about Whisper in-game? That's done by using the @ symbol and then a name after. Any idea how they'd handle that? Or do you think any people with that name would get any message directed to one of them?

From my knowledge when KR Mabinogi did the server merge - the person who logs in basically get to keep their username while the rest with same name are given an option to change to a new username as they desire to do so but who is to say they might do this different for whenever the server merge do occur.
  • HelsaHelsa

Good question! In this case extra coding would be required. On the user end instead of @Leinei bla bla bla it might be something like @Lenei.A then autofill puts in Alexina say (you're on Alexina right?). So you'd have to add a line or two of code to enhanse the parser and a line or two to set the link to the correct Avatar. Do you have any in-game friends on other servers? It asks the name AND their server. So it would be something like that.

• LeineiLeinei
    Zeo wrote: »

From my knowledge when KR Mabinogi did the server merge - the person who logs in basically get to keep their username while the rest with same name are given an option to change to a new username as they desire to do so but who is to say they might do this different for whenever the server merge do occur.

Good question! In this case extra coding would be required. On the user end instead of @Leinei bla bla bla it might be something like @Lenei.A then autofill puts in Alexina say (you're on Alexina right?). So you'd have to add a line or two of code to enhanse the parser and a line or two to set the link to the correct Avatar. Do you have any in-game friends on other servers? It asks the name AND their server. So it would be something like that.

@Helsa @Zeo Wait, wait, wait. I'm getting confused. Zeo says that whoever logs on gets to keep the name in the event there are multiple peeps with it and then you, Helsa, are saying that it's not like that? Or am I misunderstanding?
  • ZeoZeo
    @Leinei - It's just the way how KR Mabinogi did it when they did the server merge so I'm just sharing what I know from KR over there but like I said, NA may do the routine differently for when they do the serve merge to let people keep their names still!
  • HelsaHelsa
    @Helsa @Zeo Wait, wait, wait. I'm getting confused. Zeo says that whoever logs on gets to keep the name in the event there are multiple peeps with it and then you, Helsa, are saying that it's not like that? Or am I misunderstanding?

As I understood it, along with the merge Korea offered name change? Name change is a separate issue. The service can be offered in spite of a server merge.

• LeineiLeinei
    edited January 28, 2019
    @Zeo It would be good if they do. I know a bunch of peeps that are attached to their names. I mean, if they offer the option, great, but I would love if it wasn't a mandatory change. =3
  • LeineiLeinei
    edited January 28, 2019

As I understood it, along with the merge Korea offered name change? Name change is a separate issue. The service can be offered in spite of a server merge.

I agree. I also know a few people who don't like the name they chose years ago anymore. But would it be like for example if there are three Helsa PCs on three different servers that all Helsa's could keep their name? Or do you think it would be like...

Helsa.A (Alexina)
    Helsa.R (Ruairi)
    Helsa.T (Tarlach)
  • HelsaHelsa
    @Zeo It would be good if they do. I know a bunch of peeps that are attached to their names. I mean, if they offer the option, great, but I would love if it wasn't a mandatory change. =3

There's no reason to make it mandetory; don't worry.
    Leinei
  • HelsaHelsa

I agree. I also know a few people who don't like the name they chose years ago anymore. But would it be like for example if there are three Helsa PCs on three different servers that all Helsa's could keep their name? Or do you think it would be like...

Helsa.A (Alexina)
    Helsa.R (Ruairi)
    Helsa.T (Tarlach)

Yep, in fact since all the present server names begin with a unique letter only the first letter would be nessessary. You can set up the parser to accept that or the full name.