Check out the patch notes for the September 10th update, Campfire Spirit: https://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/23685
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Marleid Is So Goddamn Beautiful

Comments

  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 33,280
    Posts: 7,657
    Member
    edited January 22, 2019
    Alshian wrote: »
    Greta wrote: »
    Lately Nexon creates a lot of these "generic" anime characters. I'm not complaining though it is somewhat entertaining and i can pretty much predict their reactions when choosing answers.

    You know, real women are pretty generic, what with their three-dimensional models and their uh...*Has no social experience with such creatures*


    ...Breathing and being real? :(

    People are generic in general.

    I'm generic and I am proud!
    194px-Alissa.png fixed

    Here you go
    Alshian
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,030
    Posts: 1,494
    Member
    Inb4G23plotKillher(him?)

    tenor.gif?itemid=3457496
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Posts: 661
    Member
    I feel like "generic" is being used as a catch all term for when people really want to say "I don't like this character some reason" or "Everyone likes this character so I have to hate them now". Let's delve into Marleid as a character and take a look at her background and personality.

    As Marleid states she was raised in a band of mercenaries and often traveled around giving her a friendless background. This is where she learned combat. As a combatant she has a preference for ranged weapons like bows and cross bows because by her admission melee usually ends with gore and blood all over her and cleaning that mess is troublesome. She was eventually picked up by Eirawen and given quite a high position despite being low born and thus not eligible to be a real knight. Currently she works as a royal guard to Eirawen and is her agent within the kingdom performing tasks in service to the queen whom she respects highly and protective of.

    Marleid is shown that she an inferiority complex in that while people assume she's a knight, she's actually not, and that all of the accomplishments that the force she was assigned to could've been done entirely by the Millitian alone. She also depreciates herself and her abilities by stating that even though she is at her best at using her crossbow, she is hardly anyone special with it. She is generally mistrustful of people she's unfamiliar with but shows exceptional loyalty to those that are, namely the queen and the Millitian. She is also scared of ghosts (I want to bully her for/with this). She is also quite the snarker when spoken to and is the type to be try to put on a serious face for official business, but usually cracks under stress and is embarrassed by trying to put it back on again.

    Marleid isn't as "generic" as people say she is. With so much media and so much stories over the course of human history we have categories called tropes. Every character we see has a combination of these tropes and just because we see they have a few tropes in common with others doesn't make them generic. A generic character is closer to what the aces ended up as, and I mean the original aces, Merlin (originally), J and Starlet. Starlet being the worst offender as the childish idol that everyone loves and is so pure and innocent you could punch her and she'd still forgive you.

    If you're talking about her design, its not really generic where I could confuse her for anyone else and I don't get immediately reminded of another character. Her two-tone hair color is a nice addition and I always enjoy her expressions where she has what I like to call "her snark face".
    Blissfulkillstarkiller1286WolfandWolfSherri
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Posts: 1,066
    Member
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    I feel like "generic" is being used as a catch all term for when people really want to say "I don't like this character some reason" or "Everyone likes this character so I have to hate them now". Let's delve into Marleid as a character and take a look at her background and personality.

    As Marleid states she was raised in a band of mercenaries and often traveled around giving her a friendless background. This is where she learned combat. As a combatant she has a preference for ranged weapons like bows and cross bows because by her admission melee usually ends with gore and blood all over her and cleaning that mess is troublesome. She was eventually picked up by Eirawen and given quite a high position despite being low born and thus not eligible to be a real knight. Currently she works as a royal guard to Eirawen and is her agent within the kingdom performing tasks in service to the queen whom she respects highly and protective of.

    Marleid is shown that she an inferiority complex in that while people assume she's a knight, she's actually not, and that all of the accomplishments that the force she was assigned to could've been done entirely by the Millitian alone. She also depreciates herself and her abilities by stating that even though she is at her best at using her crossbow, she is hardly anyone special with it. She is generally mistrustful of people she's unfamiliar with but shows exceptional loyalty to those that are, namely the queen and the Millitian. She is also scared of ghosts (I want to bully her for/with this). She is also quite the snarker when spoken to and is the type to be try to put on a serious face for official business, but usually cracks under stress and is embarrassed by trying to put it back on again.

    Marleid isn't as "generic" as people say she is. With so much media and so much stories over the course of human history we have categories called tropes. Every character we see has a combination of these tropes and just because we see they have a few tropes in common with others doesn't make them generic. A generic character is closer to what the aces ended up as, and I mean the original aces, Merlin (originally), J and Starlet. Starlet being the worst offender as the childish idol that everyone loves and is so pure and innocent you could punch her and she'd still forgive you.

    If you're talking about her design, its not really generic where I could confuse her for anyone else and I don't get immediately reminded of another character. Her two-tone hair color is a nice addition and I always enjoy her expressions where she has what I like to call "her snark face".

    She's some teenage tumblr girls OC that's a tough girl that don't need no man and is amazing. She's witty and smart but can also be emotional.

  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Posts: 661
    Member
    edited January 23, 2019
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    I feel like "generic" is being used as a catch all term for when people really want to say "I don't like this character some reason" or "Everyone likes this character so I have to hate them now". Let's delve into Marleid as a character and take a look at her background and personality.

    As Marleid states she was raised in a band of mercenaries and often traveled around giving her a friendless background. This is where she learned combat. As a combatant she has a preference for ranged weapons like bows and cross bows because by her admission melee usually ends with gore and blood all over her and cleaning that mess is troublesome. She was eventually picked up by Eirawen and given quite a high position despite being low born and thus not eligible to be a real knight. Currently she works as a royal guard to Eirawen and is her agent within the kingdom performing tasks in service to the queen whom she respects highly and protective of.

    Marleid is shown that she an inferiority complex in that while people assume she's a knight, she's actually not, and that all of the accomplishments that the force she was assigned to could've been done entirely by the Millitian alone. She also depreciates herself and her abilities by stating that even though she is at her best at using her crossbow, she is hardly anyone special with it. She is generally mistrustful of people she's unfamiliar with but shows exceptional loyalty to those that are, namely the queen and the Millitian. She is also scared of ghosts (I want to bully her for/with this). She is also quite the snarker when spoken to and is the type to be try to put on a serious face for official business, but usually cracks under stress and is embarrassed by trying to put it back on again.

    Marleid isn't as "generic" as people say she is. With so much media and so much stories over the course of human history we have categories called tropes. Every character we see has a combination of these tropes and just because we see they have a few tropes in common with others doesn't make them generic. A generic character is closer to what the aces ended up as, and I mean the original aces, Merlin (originally), J and Starlet. Starlet being the worst offender as the childish idol that everyone loves and is so pure and innocent you could punch her and she'd still forgive you.

    If you're talking about her design, its not really generic where I could confuse her for anyone else and I don't get immediately reminded of another character. Her two-tone hair color is a nice addition and I always enjoy her expressions where she has what I like to call "her snark face".

    She's some teenage tumblr girls OC that's a tough girl that don't need no man and is amazing. She's witty and smart but can also be emotional.

    She has an inferiority complex as I said. She constantly depreciates herself and her inability to help during the story line. You seem to miss the point that in universe she's not amazing, and she is aware of it. The fact is that everything you said can pretty much apply to any female Millitian playing the story who at this stage is a tough person that don't need anyone else and is amazing, witty and smart and can also be emotional. Never mind that everyone from the allies to the the villain pretty much gush at how an amazing and wonderful person the Millitians are being all powerful and humble and please stop because their boots are already spotless from all the boot licking everyone is giving them. Also doesn't a person being witty, smart and emotional you know, being a human being? Or do we have to be so unique that we can only subscribe to have one character trait that defines us from the day we are born to the day we die. The simple matter is that you don't like her a character, which is fine. Calling her generic and then proceeding to not explain how and why adds nothing to the discussion.

    Hell if you talk to her after the gen and ask her for personal stories she turns it around and just says that her own life experiences are pretty much mundane in the face of yours and that she'd rather hear your stories instead.

    Here let me dissect your statement. First, "she's tough girl that needs no man" and is amazing. She's a born mercenary in a medieval world where there are ACTUAL super humans/super races. She openly states her own inferiority in the face of a hero and looks down upon her own status and her fears of being unable to live up to the expectations of people she respects. She seeks validation in others in order to be able to stand up. She openly admits that her presence in the group is pretty much useless as the Millitian is a one-man army that is not only strong enough to flatten threats, but smart and well traveled enough to solve all the riddles on their own.

    "Is witty and smart, and can be emotional". Would you like her if she was dumb as bricks, takes everything completely serious and have the emotional state of a potato? First off what smart are we talking about? Marleid is shown to be a rational thinker and commander, but she relies on Piran on his knowledge of Hymerark and the Millitian's worldly experience. She isn't an all encompassing intelligent person and just operates competently in her own field, delegating things she doesn't know to people that do. You know, like an actual person. Emotional, what part of this is generic? The term itself is generic, it applies basically to any human being. Marleid isn't some special super being, she's a normal human in the setting, she's going to be emotional and display it. That's what being a human is. Your argument amounts to "Humans are generic because they are witty, smart, and can also be emotional!" For a better discussion, explain what emotions she exhibits that marks her as generic?

    Stop using catch all terms to label something generic when you haven't elaborated about what is generic. You bring to terms "emotional", but what emotions? Let me spin this on you, Hellkaizer is a generic person because he has a generic personality.
    Blissfulkillstarkiller1286ChaosShadowSherri
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 33,280
    Posts: 7,657
    Member
    Woah, it's gotten deep here.
    Veylaine
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Posts: 661
    Member
    Woah, it's gotten deep here.

    Not as deep as my wife once she's done with Marleid.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 33,280
    Posts: 7,657
    Member
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Woah, it's gotten deep here.

    Not as deep as my wife once she's done with Marleid.

    I see... I think, I'll step out for a moment.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,845
    Posts: 790
    Member
    edited January 23, 2019
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    She's probably the most generic anime girl I can think of tbh.

    Blaanid is pretty generic.
    L4XyebN.jpg
    Crimsọn
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,940
    Posts: 2,759
    Member
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Woah, it's gotten deep here.

    Not as deep as my wife once she's done with Marleid.

    Is your wife single?! ;)
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 33,280
    Posts: 7,657
    Member
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Woah, it's gotten deep here.

    Not as deep as my wife once she's done with Marleid.

    Is your wife single?! ;)

    Yes, because the plural would be wives. ;)
    BlissfulkillWolfandWolf
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,745
    Posts: 1,226
    Member
    Well, Id like to try to see Cichol try to defeat and Seal me away again, not only did I gain Profound power from G21 but a new Ability from G22 as well :3
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 33,280
    Posts: 7,657
    Member
    Alshian wrote: »
    Well, Id like to try to see Cichol try to defeat and Seal me away again, not only did I gain Profound power from G21 but a new Ability from G22 as well :3

    Cichol vs explosion
    tenor.gif
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,745
    Posts: 1,226
    Member
    edited January 23, 2019
    Alshian wrote: »
    Well, Id like to try to see Cichol try to defeat and Seal me away again, not only did I gain Profound power from G21 but a new Ability from G22 as well :3

    Cichol vs explosion
    tenor.gif

    I heard Cichol has a thing for loli, I am afraid what comes of her when she lose...
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 33,280
    Posts: 7,657
    Member
    Alshian wrote: »
    Alshian wrote: »
    Well, Id like to try to see Cichol try to defeat and Seal me away again, not only did I gain Profound power from G21 but a new Ability from G22 as well :3

    Cichol vs explosion
    tenor.gif

    I heard Cichol has a thing for loli, I am afraid what comes of her when she lose...

    Thats if your character is her
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Posts: 661
    Member
    edited January 24, 2019
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Woah, it's gotten deep here.

    Not as deep as my wife once she's done with Marleid.

    Is your wife single?! ;)

    No, she's taken. She just expresses interest in cute things. And her interests are... unconventional.
    Alshian wrote: »
    Well, Id like to try to see Cichol try to defeat and Seal me away again, not only did I gain Profound power from G21 but a new Ability from G22 as well :3

    See the thing is that tier 3 Gods aren't as weak as people make them out to be. Currently I'd say at absolutely full power at best we're probably 1 foot in the 3rd tier territory. Cichol was able to seal Morrighan, an actual 3rd tier goddess prior to G1. He'd have no trouble sealing us if no one interfered. Fortunately he won't try it cause we've befriended quite a few powerful people. Some light spoilers for G23 so open at your own risk.
    For human side, we have the backing of Price (Redire), Queen Eirawen and all the resources at her disposal, the Aces (as much as I hate them), and the Alban Knights who are still monitoring our adventures. On the races side, we have the support of the Iria Alliance and Cor village. As for divine support, we still have Adniel whom we are still bound to. And for the meat of the spoiler, Talvish is still watching over us. In G23 he actually directs the Alban knights to back us up because he's pretty much a stalker at this point that really really admires us.

    There's also the fact that Morrighan is probably keeping him busy and the only reason he even tried to seal us in Avalon was because he managed to sneak away from her and past the barrier keeping her out. At the moment there's too many obstacles in his way for him to make a proper move, with the support of Fomors gone and most of the his power base taken away, he has very limited movement. Who knows, maybe the whole deal with Balor will return power to Cichol and make him the proper big bad again.
    Kensamaofmari
  • ChaosShadowChaosShadow
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,325
    Posts: 133
    Member
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    -snip-

    You have my respect for making such a compelling argument about Marleid's character and the misuse of catch-all terms. :) Too bad the opposing party couldn't give two s***s unsurprisingly.

    Now if only similar shutdown arguments could be made to the people who label anything with even a hint of dark themes in it as "edgy." :v
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Posts: 661
    Member
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    -snip-

    You have my respect for making such a compelling argument about Marleid's character and the misuse of catch-all terms. :) Too bad the opposing party couldn't give two s***s unsurprisingly.

    Now if only similar shutdown arguments could be made to the people who label anything with even a hint of dark themes in it as "edgy." :v

    Well edgy is defined as "tense, nervous, or irritable". So you can use that to fire back.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 49,955
    Posts: 7,603
    Member
    I want to devour marmalade off of Marleid, now...

    Sexy sweaty hentai version of her covered in marmalade came to mind. MUH DIRTY BRAIN MEATS HNNNNNG!!!
    Kensamaofmari
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Posts: 661
    Member
    Gaea wrote: »
    I want to devour marmalade off of Marleid, now...

    Sexy sweaty hentai version of her covered in marmalade came to mind. MUH DIRTY BRAIN MEATS HNNNNNG!!!

    Plus a few cup size upgrades?!?!?!
    Kensamaofmari