Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Plans if the MERGE occurs

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Gaea wrote: »
    But as far as spots go, perhaps the guilds with upgraded guild stones could be compensated GP and gold. That way when they relocate their stones they can upgrade them again.
    Yeah, they could do that. It would be a kludge, but it would work. Maybe give everyone a highest level stone as compensation. If you're already there, then oh well.

• ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    That makes me wonder about the serve merge though! As the guild issue was already answered and discussed earlier today.

If a server merge was to happens, how would it affect the players with gold/items saved in their bank, would it get wiped so people would need to get all of them out in their inventory or..? I remember reading that things stored in your mailbox get wiped and apparently it's the same for dressing room?
  • LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,360
    edited January 28, 2019
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    You missed my edit

Applying KR logic. ~ and Properly Invested Funds, I should be able to get faster speeds in Wisconsin since it's the same size as KR. ~ but I don't because they don't do any of that. ~ and why? Because the distance between A and B - Here and There. is greater. Is this really that complicated?

For an observer on the ground with eye level at h = 5 ft 7 in (1.70 m), the horizon is at a distance of 2.9 miles (4.7 km). For an observer standing on a hill or tower 100 feet (30 m) in height, the horizon is at a distance of 12.2 miles (19.6 km).

woosh!!

You are right about investments. I also agree with you on distance. I wanted to point out infrastructure, and how it's handled is just as important. The ISPs in the United States are inconsistent, and that's what causes a lot of network problems. Even people who live in California can still suffer from latency issues when trying to play Mabinogi.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited January 28, 2019
    Zeo wrote: »
    That makes me wonder about the serve merge though! As the guild issue was already answered and discussed earlier today.

If a server merge was to happens, how would it affect the players with gold/items saved in their bank, would it get wiped so people would need to get all of them out in their inventory or..? I remember reading that things stored in your mailbox get wiped and apparently it's the same for dressing room?

Hm? Interesting question.

Bank gold is associated to the account but segregated by server. If you have characters on different servers but on the same account that could be tricky. I think they'd have to address it by running a script to combine the gold properly. If you are just on one server it should be okay.

Items stored in the bank are associated with individual characters but also with particular servers. Again if all your characters are on the same server anyway it should be okay. But under a combined server you'd want to be able to access all characters deposits. The tricky part here is if the code still segregates by the old server names. If that happens it wont be the end of the world since someone will post a ticket and the issue will be addressed in code, unless they fix it during the actual merge. Until fixed your characters of the same old server will still be able to access bank the same as pre-merge. So a bug to be fixed but not the end of the world.

My guess is dressing room is handled just like the bank. So here too if all your characters are on the same server it will be okay. If you have multiple characters though on different servers, the only issue I see would be if the two dressing rooms contain the same item. THAT would be a problem. Nexon could warn ahead of time but what if you haven't logged on for months. So they would probably move one of the duplicate items out to inventory or lost and found. If those are all full then it might be a case of too bad so sad. So to repeat, if you have characters on different servers that have identical items in their dressing rooms and all inventory, bank, mail, and lost and found are full, you might lose one of the duplicate items if you have been away for months and don't get a message from Nexon to address this in time. Or they could allow up to 4 duplicate items in the dressing room. With that ability going online with the merge.

I heard somewhere that mail is handled on a separate "channel" and since you cant mail between servers that makes four mail systems. Again if all your characters are on one server you should be okay. But if your mailboxes are full then that's a problem, similar to the dressing room situation. Similar steps would have to be taken and failing then the mailbox limit would be raised to 40/120 with the merge.

EDIT: I just thought the combined bank limit will have to be fixed as well. That should be a matter of a few lines of code.
    EDIT 2: Sorry it's the middle of the night for me actually, mail won't be a problem at all since mail box limits are per character.
    Zeo
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Liberate wrote: »
    Liberate wrote: »
    @Liberate ~ I'm just going to assume you're tired, slow, or you think I was born yesterday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol

You were talking about size vs speeds. I'm talking about size vs speeds. You even gave me a size comparison of Korea vs United States. Hong Kong is on the list of #4 fastest network average in the world, on the other hand South Korea is 90 times larger than Hong Kong in scale. By your logic Hong Kong should have the faster speeds, but South Korea still ranks #1.

Size (distance between two points / and size of unfragmented packets) has/have everything to do with Speed.

~ They're Rank #1 because you can almost throw the packets back and forth by hand. ~

Then why isn't Hong Kong #1?

Because Taiwan number 1.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    Inb4 they only merge Ruairi and Tarlach.
    Leinei wrote: »
    Yeah, I could see the language barrier being a bear, but our branch seems to communicate with them well. =D

I think a harder time would be had with a non-disclosure, meaning you couldn't talk about anything you were working on. That is probably why we can't get as much info on things as we'd like.

They can keep the details, but I just want to know YES or NO. Then we will know whether or not we should try and prepare for this. One thing is for sure...I will be scheduling the next 3 days off.

I would love a for sure answer of yes/no too. Maybe they're waiting for the anniversary?
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Inb4 they only merge Ruairi and Tarlach.
    Yeah, I could see the language barrier being a bear, but our branch seems to communicate with them well. =D

I think a harder time would be had with a non-disclosure, meaning you couldn't talk about anything you were working on. That is probably why we can't get as much info on things as we'd like.

They can keep the details, but I just want to know YES or NO. Then we will know whether or not we should try and prepare for this. One thing is for sure...I will be scheduling the next 3 days off.

I would love a for sure answer of yes/no too. Maybe they're waiting for the anniversary?

You know, that sounds pretty plausible. BUT...server merge is a sensitive and delicate subject. Server merge is going to come with sacrifices and I don't think that is something we would celebrate about during the anniversary.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Hm, maybe we'd get the VIP update then? When is the anniversary again?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Since performing a server merge is a one-way street of sorts, the only definite answers they can give are either "yes" or "no (for now)". This means that, given a no (for now). people will continue to post about potential server merges in the future.
    Leinei
  • HelsaHelsa
    @Helsa ~ Just think. ~ If you ban everyone who speaks against a merge, and work hard to get them banned for not supporting a merge (like taking your drama to a different forum in search of some favoritism); you won't have to worry about opposition when it comes time to jump into the sink hole and wrap it all up into one big ball of spaghetti.

OK
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited January 29, 2019
    @Helsa ~ Just think. ~ If you ban everyone who speaks against a merge, and work hard to get them banned for not supporting a merge (like taking your drama to a different forum in search of some favoritism); you won't have to worry about opposition when it comes time to jump into the sink hole and wrap it all up into one big ball of spaghetti.

Ok.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Any idea how many channels we'd be estimated to have? I understand we're not exactly filled to capacity, but I think we might have issues if trying to fit everyone in 7.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Any idea how many channels we'd be estimated to have? I understand we're not exactly filled to capacity, but I think we might have issues if trying to fit everyone in 7.

Recently, there was a poll in the forums that gauged server population. Of course the sample size was tiny, something like around 100. But the results very neatly followed Benford's Law which is a statistical model for describing some types of data, similar to the Bell Curve. Only, Nexon knows the actual numbers, of course, but they are probably not far from:
    - Alexina 43%
    - Mari 26%
    - Ruari 18%
    - Tarlach 13%

Each present server has 7 channels. So if you go 7/(the % of a reference server) you get a number reflecting the total number of channels needed to maintain that reference servers population density to the whole population. So for each we get:
    - based on Alexina we get 16 channels
    - based on Mari we get 27 channels
    - based on Ruari we get 39 channels
    - based on Tarlach we get 54 channels
    At the moment there are 28 channels available across all servers. So, one might think that's pretty close to what we get for using Mari. The thing is the guild battle channel is called Channel 20, and 19 channels would be 3 better than basing it on Alexina. So, either 28 or 19 is my guess.
  • OfeliaOfelia
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,500
    if the merge "happens" i don't think they can deal with the influx of players per channel cap.

and

my magic eight ball says mabi is going to follow what happened to the Vindi servers

all servers become one

NA mabi and EU mabi

names are going to be by account age and level of the player

None the less im not stressing out about the merge if and when it happens...... we could just pull at our hair and scream the world is ending while drinking a pint of old english xD
    Leinei[Deleted User]GretaLiberateCrimsọn
  • HelsaHelsa
    @Helsa ~ How do you know everything is using the same hardware? Is there somewhere this was referenced? By that I mean; how are you sure that a merge won't be putting the pressure of 4 previous machines onto 1 single machine; as opposed to all of it being on 1 single machine to start with? ~ You said yesterday, or mentioned briefly, this was a factor. ~ If the 4 current servers are in fact being hosted on 1 single machine (right now) as you implied (or assumed, idk), sharing 1 station for memory; then it's reasonable to assume cutting it all back to 1 on that machine won't change anything (in terms of memory). ~ but what if it isn't? What if we're talking about 4 entirely separate machines? (Never mind the terminology. I could say server, host, or instance; and be just as confusing to everyone). ~ Would a single toaster be able to put out the required volume in memory to host Mabinogi and its entire population for a 5-day long stretch of Double Rainbow? ..

P.S. ~ I know about the Stress Tests, performed in the past. I also know they were done on each server individually, and at different times for each server. As opposed to the entire population on one server (such as the Test Server, none of us were on). I still have some screenshots for Alexina, somewhere, but that's not important. ~ All I'm asking is, how, "we know" it'll all work out good, or at all, on a single machine. :)

P.P.S. ~ We also have to consider "object population" when doing this math (but, we'd have to do that anyway; even if there was no one on any of the servers, to provide for things like Monsters and NPCs). ~ Users, Partners, Pets, and Items, aren't the whole :cookie: jar.

OK
    Ofelia wrote: »
    if the merge "happens" i don't think they can deal with the influx of players per channel cap.

On a per channel basis, yes individual popular channels will be much more likely to fill-up. When inventory plus became free and everyone could have a personal shop, on Alexina channel one filled up and spilled over to channel two.
    names are going to be by account age and level of the player

There will be no issue with names. The reason is because all four servers names are already in the same database, it's already merged. The are going to have to add a mechanism so you can tell Buttmuch55 from Alexina apart from Buttmuch55 from Mari, but that's just some coding.
    None the less im not stressing out about the merge if and when it happens...... we could just pull at our hair and scream the world is ending while drinking a pint of old english xD

It'll be okay. I'll tell you some of the concerns I have:.
    1) Individual popular channels will be more likely to be full. There's nothing that can really be done about that. If you're on Alexina, you've already learned to cope with this.
    2) There will be a "gold rush" of sorts for Guild Stone spots. Some guilds will lose their nice spot. There's nothing that can be done about that.
    3) Folks that have characters on multiple servers, in the same account, and have duplicate items in their dressing rooms, is a problem. The only way to deal with this is to allow multiple same items in the dressing room. I believed this is a feature request that has been made in spite of server merge talk.

• PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    edited January 30, 2019
    No need to discuss anything.The likelihood of Mabinogi shutting down is more likely due to the acquisition by another company before server merge even happens.
    [Deleted User]
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    edited January 30, 2019
    Pan wrote: »
    No need to discuss anything.The likelihood of Mabinogi shutting down is more likely due to the acquisition by another company before server merge even happens.

Ok

My good man, I like that answer. The sound of defeat.
    [Deleted User]
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited January 30, 2019

Ok

Damnit. XD
    [Deleted User]
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805

Ok

My good man, I like that answer. The sound of defeat.

But which one got defeated tho? :trollface:
    [Deleted User]
  • AraeArae
    Mabinogi Rep: 860
    The bank tabs get deleted aswell for the characters transferring