Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Notice to Belgian Players

Comments

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited February 6, 2019
    Yeah but the way they are complying is by blocking a country. I mean what are they going to do? Eventually block France? Germany? United Kingdom? This is why this is NOT a solution. It's like a bandaid and there are eventually going to be a whole box of opened bandaids all over the place. I hope they are seriously reading this. It's dumb as hell.

I get it, it's not Supreme's fault. It's Nexon's CEO's with their heads up their asses.

And screw Fortnite. smh. lol.
    Darkpixie99Sherri
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Right now they can afford to cut out the Belgian players because it's only a tiny market in comparison.

When the rest of the world follows suit and they can't sell gachas to everyone else, they'll have no choice but to update their sales model. Maybe we'll finally see the day when all gacha outfits are sold as shopping bags.
    Darkpixie99CrimsọnImaizumiSherri
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    I mean, It would have to pass in congress right? So like I highly doubt this is something Trump will care for.

Well, not unless there's money for a wall attached. ;)
    Darkpixie99
  • AlexisEUAlexisEU
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,520
    Interesting reforges stay, they're not very different to gachapons in terms of gambling.
    Darkpixie99CrimsọnZeoTheNyanCatImaizumiSherri
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited February 6, 2019
    Eralea wrote: »
    Right now they can afford to cut out the Belgian players because it's only a tiny market in comparison.

When the rest of the world follows suit and they can't sell gachas to everyone else, they'll have no choice but to update their sales model. Maybe we'll finally see the day when all gacha outfits are sold as shopping bags.

This is indeed true, and what we’ve been stressing for years. Gambling is a serious issue to law makers and responsible adults alike. It’s fairly easy to prove that Nexon endorses gambling by pushing the gachapon sales. It’s also fairly easy for a company with one reliant source of income to fall once it’s no longer a viable sales tactic. That’s why marketing teams must always innovate and monitor consumer feedback. Nexon never does, so it’s only a mater of fate, rather than time.

tenor.gif

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited February 7, 2019
    AlexisEU wrote: »
    Interesting reforges stay, they're not very different to gachapons in terms of gambling.

This is very true. Maybe they will have to make reforges a free in-game mechanic purchased with in-game gold. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

But we all know that they will block countries from reforges or shut down the game before that! XD

Eralea wrote: »

This is indeed true, and what we’ve been stressing for years. Gambling is a serious issue to law makers and responsible adults alike. It’s fairly easy to prove that Nexon endorses gambling by pushing the gachapon sales. It’s also fairly easy for a company with one reliant source of income to fall once it’s no longer a viable sales tactic. That’s why marketing teams must always innovate and monitor consumer feedback. Nexon never does, so it’s only a mater of fate, rather than time.

tenor.gif

It is squarely only a matter of time.
    Darkpixie99
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    edited February 7, 2019
    Heeeeh. I knew it would catch up one day.
    Draech wrote: »
    I hate to admit, but Mabi might soon have what more and more games now have as a gacha model: you buy premium currency (like Pon), and then buy the gacha with that premium currency only. It's considered virtual currency gambling, so it's not illegal, just unethical.

That's how most games operates these days.
    Darkpixie99TheNyanCatWolfsingerSherri
  • KiruahKiruah
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,775
    I dont wanna be banned from the shop. (Netherlands)
    Please plaase, just do some monthly or bi-weekly sale of new outfits and have older ones return all with a theme or something.
    I'l pay for pricier outfits if their worth it, and pricier pets instead of gachas.
    But please, dont Ban whole countries, just find another way to sell the items, the whole world is going to do this.

and i really dont wanna lose Mabinogi :C
    Darkpixie99Sherri
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    I do have a question for you legal eagles out there.

The reason other games such as card game booster packs and gachapon vendors aren't under the gambling law, is because you can trade or sell the item for economical circulation, correct?

Well, wouldn't the easiest solution simply be to allow item selling?
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited February 7, 2019
    Oh yeah that's right. I just read about that, Netherlands are on board with this ban too. I guess Nexon is gonna start blocking them too soon right? I wonder why that wasn't announced at the same time as Belgium? Belgium is pushing for a EU wide ban of lootboxes, and EU countries are starting to agree. I guess they will have to block all of EU right? Instead of releasing KR's VIP services or releasing content directly for purchase. They rather block countries than change their business model.

When their business model fails, they are just gonna shut down the game. This is not FUD, this is becoming REAL. That campfire event was a blatant lie. Gaming companies do crap like this before games go bye bye. "Oh everything is fine and dandy with the game, we're not shutting down...eh heh..." -1 year later- "We're sorry to announce..."

:|

Change your business model Nexon. This ban and regulation IS happening right before your very eyes. You need to convince KR to get their heads out of their asses if you yourselves love this game and want to keep your jobs. They need to understand it's not just about their business model not being favorable by customers, governments are stepping in to put an end to this.

Kim, THE FOUNDER OF NEXON has left because of this. He got fed up and left. Didn't want to change anything, just left.

smh...
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited February 7, 2019
    TNinja wrote: »
    I do have a question for you legal eagles out there.

The reason other games such as card game booster packs and gachapon vendors aren't under the gambling law, is because you can trade or sell the item for economical circulation, correct?

Well, wouldn't the easiest solution simply be to allow item selling?

Physical merchandise is merchandise you can exchange with a friend or parent.
    It is completely different from virtual items which have no face value, and the tenancy to foreclose with "could be gone the next day/year."
    Therefore, virtual gambling is a monopoly scam.
    Either way, the Auction House and player shops must've went into the (plausible) lawsuit account and been seen through as a legitimate Loot Box scam. Individual items isn't the Nexon way, they don't understand.
    FittingYearlyEasternnewt-small.gif
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited February 8, 2019
    Those stupid koreans REFUSE to understand. OUTRIGHT REFUSE. This makes me so angry.

smh...

I can't believe I just randomly found this.

its-the-final-countdown_o_1293851.jpg

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! From angry to laughing, jesus. XD
    Darkpixie99KensamaofmariSherri
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited February 8, 2019
    Gaea wrote: »
    Those stupid koreans REFUSE to understand. OUTRIGHT REFUSE.

smh... I can't believe I just randomly found this.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Hilarious indeed.
    anime-evil-laugh-gif-3.gif

Nexon in a Nutshell, if there was a nutshell to publicize:
    c28.png
    But yeah, technically everyone did it, yet it only took ONE COMPANY to get everyone doomed.

CrimsọnWolfsinger
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited February 8, 2019
    Yeah well you mess with a decades old franchise and crap happens. Thanks a lot EA. (THANKS A LOT DISNEY while we're at it). They ruined a lot of online homes but at the same time brought this to light about this epidemic. I mean yeah it's bad but...we're going to lose a lot before this war is over. This is going to disperse a lot of communities. An unfortunate outcome I suppose. This is what we wanted and warned for years on here... but now we're paying for it, for real. lol...?

:(

I remember in the Vindictus forums years ago, ranting and raving about this under Diab***. I was prolly one of many who contacted the FTC and BBB about it in retaliation for all the power creeping rng gacha bs. But I can't help but feel a bit guilty and remorseful now. I feel guilty now because I feel like KR is not going to relent, and everything I have done and said is going to take everything away instead of fixing the actual problem.
  • FalaflameFalaflame
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,260
    edited February 8, 2019
    So this is the hill Mabinogi is going to die on.

Instead of adapting to the times, instead of realizing what needs to be done, instead of changing the business model to help your own business survive, it's decided that Nexon is going to ride these business practices all the way to the sunset?

Cool, Belgium is being blocked. Soon, Netherlands will follow. But eventually, the entirety of EU may have to be blocked. After that, you'll have blocked literally everyone but Japan and KR. People are starting to realize just how bad these business practices are. It has reached a point where worldwide governments are starting to step in. And nothing is done about it. Sidestepping the issue won't do anything but prolong the inevitable.

Please, please try to get KR's head straight, because worse than us losing Mabinogi, you will lose your jobs. And we all know just how difficult it is to find work.
    CrimsọnHarukariDarkpixie99ImaizumiWolfsingerSherri
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited February 8, 2019
    Falaflame wrote: »

Instead of adapting to the times, instead of realizing what needs to be done, instead of changing the business model to help your own business survive, it's decided that Nexon is going to ride these business practices all the way to the sunset?

Cool, Belgium is being blocked. Soon, Netherlands will follow. But eventually, the entirety of EU may have to be blocked. After that, you'll have blocked literally everyone but Japan and KR. People are starting to realize just how bad these business practices are. It has reached a point where worldwide governments are starting to step in. And nothing is done about it. Sidestepping the issue won't do anything but prolong the inevitable.

Please, please try to get KR's head straight, because worse than us losing Mabinogi, you will lose your jobs. And we all know just how difficult it is to find work.

Especially in California.
    Darkpixie99Wolfsinger
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    edited February 8, 2019
    Those stupid koreans REFUSE to understand. OUTRIGHT REFUSE. This makes me so angry.

smh...

I can't believe I just randomly found this.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! From angry to laughing, jesus. XD

Koreans are a stubborn species.
    Falaflame wrote: »

Especially in California.

California Dreamin
    Darkpixie99
  • LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,360
    edited February 8, 2019

When their business model fails, they are just gonna shut down the game. This is not FUD, this is becoming REAL.

People have been saying this game would shut down in a year since 2009. You know what else has happened in 2009? They've drastically changed their business model many times. Remember, in 2008 you are required to pay for rebirths, and 2/3's of the game's content was locked behind a paywall with their premium service packages.

This gachapon/lootbox ban will not affect just Mabinogi, but currently all of Nexon's business model. They've been too reliant on the gachapon gambling for more than a decade on all of their game titles. Now that the problem has became mainstream and countries have decided regulations are needed, Nexon needs to realize that their entire company is at risk.

This is interesting, because the best comparison of reforges are cubes in MapleStory, and cubes in that game have been banned for purchase from Belgium players. Only major difference is that you can't trade cubes directly in-game; I wonder Nexon just simply didn't bother to blacklist reforges because they can be directly traded in-game?
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Liberate wrote: »

When their business model fails, they are just gonna shut down the game. This is not FUD, this is becoming REAL.

People have been saying this game would shut down in a year since 2009. You know what else has happened in 2009? They've drastically changed their business model many times. Remember, in 2008 you are required to pay for rebirths, and 2/3's of the game's content was locked behind a paywall with their premium service packages.

This gachapon/lootbox ban will not affect just Mabinogi, but currently all of Nexon's business model. They've been too reliant on the gachapon gambling for more than a decade on all of their game titles. Now that the problem has became mainstream and countries have decided regulations are needed, Nexon needs to realize that their entire company is at risk.

This is interesting, because the best comparison of reforges are cubes in MapleStory, and cubes in that game have been banned for purchase from Belgium players. Only major difference is that you can't trade cubes directly in-game; I wonder Nexon just simply didn't bother to blacklist reforges because they can be directly traded in-game?

Omg if they blacklist reforges they will have to BUY the gear preforged from players likely for an even insane amount of gold they prob have no time for.

Hell it would make them nearly always weaker in terms of reforges in the player base of whats left of it.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited February 8, 2019
    Yeah well you mess with a decades old franchise and crap happens. Thanks a lot EA. (THANKS A LOT DISNEY while we're at it). They ruined a lot of online homes but at the same time brought this to light about this epidemic. I mean yeah it's bad but...we're going to lose a lot before this war is over. This is going to disperse a lot of communities. An unfortunate outcome I suppose. This is what we wanted and warned for years on here... but now we're paying for it, for real. lol...?

:(

I remember in the Vindictus forums years ago, ranting and raving about this under Diab***. I was prolly one of many who contacted the FTC and BBB about it in retaliation for all the power creeping rng gacha bs. But I can't help but feel a bit guilty and remorseful now. I feel guilty now because I feel like KR is not going to relent, and everything I have done and said is going to take everything away instead of fixing the actual problem.

Don't feel guilty, many companies have realized the potential for this RNG Loot Box sham.
    Disney actually did the right thing, it's their property which aims at a majority of children. (Penniless, so magic=freedom and availability.)
    That, and Bad Reputation (-680k Reddit Comment) = "Bad Show" = Cancellation, and move forward.
    Reporting the abuse-ability of in game mechanics is done for bug reports, so it should naturally be done to any company who does the same to sale mechanics. Even if you love a game or an app, if the company can't behave legally and properly, then they shouldn't be running their virtual monopoly at all.

Consumers have the right to refuse service, plain and simple.
    6ml9ex57ycyz.jpg
    Alshian wrote: »
    Now you finally understand why I never bought a single reforge. Not only does it support botters, but it in itself is a very suspicious sales item.
    It's almost like gachapons, except for gear stats. Wow, how simply dim to rely on those sales. They could be the next item banned, now that Nexon is on Belgium radar. I anticipate large scale investigations into not just the Loot Box tactic, but the RNG tactic by 2020. Buckle up.
    source.gif
    Sherri