Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Something is going on at Nexon HQ from news

Comments

• LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,360
    Inb4 NBC Universal takes interest.

or Warner Bros Interactive
    Kensamaofmari
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    My quip about Bandai Namco was "totally not a review based snap crackle pop rage fit". I should keep my bias for games "requiring one to unpark their cores, just to play it,".. to myself. ~ Pros? Is that a joke, lol?

Well, pros are just what the company has done well, and what it does well in, which may not necessarily game management or other areas.
  • LiberateLiberate
    Is Bamco even bidding for Nexon?
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    @Kensamaofmari ~ I'm surprised. -- Your sarcasm detector is broken.

I mentioned Bandai Namco because there's nothing they do well. Nothing. No pros, no cons. The second post I made about it was even more sarcastic, and included a review I gave one of their games, because unlike games for pc are supposed to be; it's almost impossible to be played on pc. ~ Let alone graded for quality. ~ Bandai Namco should stick with Xbox and stop porting to pc.

Nothing like having someone define "Pro" and "Con" to you; like you were born yesterday.

If a business has no pros, they wouldn't be operating for long. Yet, they do continue to operate. So there has to be enough that they do to keep them going.

A failing business is something like Sears, who really are doing nothing right.
  • Atheist42Atheist42
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,680
    The trouble with collected sales is you get into monopoly or anti-trust issues (for example the sales of Fox assets last year to Disney backfired, and Disney was forced to resell some assets back into the market).

That was presumably because they breached USAnian anti-trust laws. In Nexon's case, the question would be whether the buyer would be breaching any of South Korea's anti-trust laws, if any exist.

Atheist42 wrote: »
    The trouble with collected sales is you get into monopoly or anti-trust issues (for example the sales of Fox assets last year to Disney backfired, and Disney was forced to resell some assets back into the market).

That was presumably because they breached USAnian anti-trust laws. In Nexon's case, the question would be whether the buyer would be breaching any of South Korea's anti-trust laws, if any exist.

Oh they exist in some form.
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    be pretty cool if EA just buys mabi and murders it, and kills the studio in charge

or bamco, they will somehow manage to turn mabinogi in a console game and poorly port it to pc
  • XxBearslayerxXXxBearslayerxX
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,230
    EA, better stay the hell away. So help me God. My hand will SLIP!
    Lialin
  • RicardRicard
    Mabinogi Rep: 610
    edited February 24, 2019
    It's hard to absorb since most of the items in here are like personal. Ever since the News Media crashed part of it's network. But I feel like it really is hard to let go such a childhood game since it's been through so much ever since their release of Online Varieties of Games.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited February 27, 2019
    "EA, Amazon and Comcast enter Nexon bidding war, report claims"
    Guys, everyone wants in. Article Mention Article referenced
    "Netmarble announced its plans to purchase Nexon in January, starting a consortium of companies to this end."
    *Crosses fingers* If they win, we all win. Seriously, these guys listen, and they listen HARD.
    If we say no more gachapons, we get no gachapons. If we say standard item sales, we get standard item sales.
    FYI: Comcast = NBC, who will probably look to put it in their NBC Universal assets.

Oh no, not Amazon!
    Darkpixie99
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    All of these possibilities are bad. Oh no.
    "Netmarble announced its plans to purchase Nexon in January, starting a consortium of companies to this end."
    Please please please PLEASE be the one to win out.
    Darkpixie99WolfsingerLialin
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited February 27, 2019
    Buffalos wrote: »
    FYI: Comcast = NBC, who will probably look to put it in their NBC Universal assets.

Oh no, not Amazon!
    I can't help but imagine Amazon wanting Nexon only for the free cash cow for shipping merch from the KR stores.
    Profitable, but can they even code?
    tenor.gif?itemid=9676298
    Seriously, this matters to completely trash the now illegal gachapons.
    Unless they rent out the video game production/development rights to someone else.

*Edit*
    I stand corrected.

Oh no, not Amazon!
    I can't help but imagine Amazon wanting Nexon only for the free cash cow for shipping merch from the KR stores.
    tenor.gif?itemid=9676298
    Unless they rent out the video game production/development rights to someone else.

Turn Nexon NA HQ into another 3PL shipping point.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited February 27, 2019
    Turn Nexon NA HQ into another 3PL shipping point.

NiceScentedIndochinesetiger-size_restricted.gif

Oh no, not Amazon!
    tenor.gif?itemid=9676298
    *Edit*
    I stand corrected.
    They can code, bro.
    "Crucible is a third-person, last one standing game of trust and betrayal. Each match pits human and alien competitors with unique weapons and abilities against one another on a lush, alien world. Players make and break alliances on the fly. In Crucible it takes a mix of combat skill, strategic planning, and social finesse to survive." (In Development)

They know Twitch too, so money money money!
    tenor.gif?itemid=12197230
    Sherri
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited March 3, 2019
    KelpSoda wrote: »
    be pretty cool if EA just buys mabi and murders it, and kills the studio in charge

or bamco, they will somehow manage to turn mabinogi in a console game and poorly port it to pc

Star Wars Battlefront 2 is on sale in Origin for $10. ($9.99, but everyone rounds for tax.)
    I have reason to believe EA isn't our knight in Ruairi armor.
    It's a sim standing in one place as it wonders what it should be doing with that giant, creepy grin.

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Enough money is not enough money.
    Kensamaofmari
  • LiberateLiberate
    As in game developers? No, not really. But they have plenty of software engineers, and their only real inclusion towards video game development is their game engine Lumberyard, which is a revamped version of CryEngine that's free to use. The only real reason why I see Amazon just dips in for a bid is just to see their hand not only in the video game industry further but to tap the Asian video game market at the same time. They own twitch, and see that competitive games have potential; and where are most competitive games are most popular in and often held? Korea. They most likely see Nexon developers as experienced Korean game developers, and use them to push more towards competitive gaming than focusing anymore on MMOs. Worst case scenario is that they drop all of their MMO support and let them to rot, which seems to be the case for 90% of these bidders anyway.
    edited March 4, 2019
    Latest update Mar 3
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-nexon-m-a/tencent-kakao-among-shortlisted-bidders-for-south-korean-gaming-firm-nexon-korea-economic-daily-idUKKCN1QL02G

Reuters

Tencent, Kakao among shortlisted bidders for South Korean gaming firm Nexon: Korea Economic Daily

SEOUL (Reuters) - Chinese tech giant Tencent and South Korea’s biggest chat operator Kakao Corp are among five bidders shortlisted to buy South Korean gaming firm Nexon, the Korea Economic Daily newspaper reported on Monday.

The newspaper said NXC Corp, the holding firm which controls Nexon, also had shortlisted private equity firms Bain Capital and MBK Partners, as well as an unidentified private equity firm.

South Korean publisher Netmarble Corp was not offered to join the preliminary bidding, but formed a consortium with MBK Partners to bid for Nexon, according to the report which cited investment banking sources.

The deal could worth as much as 15 trillion won ($13.3 billion) and the formal bid process was set to take place in early April, it added.

Nexon founder Kim Jung-ju has been exploring a sale of a 98.64 percent stake in NXC Corp that is held by him and related parties including his wife.

MBK Partners declined to comment on the report while Tencent, Kakao, Netmarble and Bain Capital were not immediately available for comment.

Reporting by Heekyong Yang and Hyunjoo Jin; Editing by Stephen Coates
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited March 4, 2019
    Gaea wrote: »
    Enough money is not enough money.

Pft, Amazon can literally make profits off anything these days.
    how-amazon-makes-its-money.png
    Liberate wrote: »
    As in game developers? No, not really. But they have plenty of software engineers, and their only real inclusion towards video game development is their game engine Lumberyard, which is a revamped version of CryEngine that's free to use. The only real reason why I see Amazon just dips in for a bid is just to see their hand not only in the video game industry further but to tap the Asian video game market at the same time. They own twitch, and see that competitive games have potential; and where are most competitive games are most popular in and often held? Korea. They most likely see Nexon developers as experienced Korean game developers, and use them to push more towards competitive gaming than focusing anymore on MMOs. Worst case scenario is that they drop all of their MMO support and let them to rot, which seems to be the case for 90% of these bidders anyway.

Yeah, I know. I posted a response to my own comment above. Twice, now.
    But yes, Nexon has been holding onto a potential that they refused to tap into for over eleven years.
    Mabinogi has become a well in which appears dried up, and crusty.
    The gachapon model is old, and now officially illegal. (Confirmed by Belgium.)
    There are so many problems in Nexon games that Amazon can profit off not only purchasing, but forwarding to hired professionals to fix.
    There's something people like to refer to as "The 2019 Clap," and if Amazon is publicized in fixing these Loot Box problems, they most definitely will profit. (Off publicity alone, things will spread like wildfire nostalgia.)
    If Amazon has to bid away a few twenty billion dollars to get Nexon, it's probably a drop in the bucket at this point.
    Twitch partnership will only make things easier to get Mabinogi back on the radar if they decide to officially refurbish it, and announce the steps they're taking on test servers.
    Think of this like Amazon seeing Nintendo potential in Nexon KR, not knowing how much more money they'll be sinking into it.
    It'll cause problems for sure, but Mabinogi remains a unique MMORPG.
    Everyone wants that kinda of game to make cash, so they'll make it work. (Fifty billion dollars later, and all Nexon problems are fixed.)
    Shovel, meet grave.
    6a-shallow-grave-118366191.jpg