Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Raccoon Cub Enchant limitations

imunknownimunknown
Mabinogi Rep: 620
edited March 8, 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions
Hi id like to introduce the idea of allowing combat power reducing enchants onto more gear. As a mabinogi player I strongly feel that the only way to get raccoon cub on things like swords or pendants shouldnt be solely through the NX shop. I should be able to achieve that myself through the game system. It is already a really tough reward to achieve on the basic magical clothing. Furthermore perhaps an Enchant skill rework is due. Instead of an item dissapearing from inventory on failed enchants maybe lock the player out of being able to enchant that item for a weeks time forcing them to hunt for the scroll again. This is open to discussion. Also might be cool to see an ingame tab system where you can lookup enchants (regardless of capitalization in the spelling) to see hints of where to get them from. Ive found myself updating many enchants because what once dropped years ago or how often is not nearly the same as it is now. Some enchants dont drop at all. (this is coming from a guy whos run shadow missions 500+ times for a specific enchant and none dropped the entire time! Really REALLY frustrating and feels like its working more against the player than being reasonable.
THICCthighssavelives

Comments

• imunknownimunknown
    Mabinogi Rep: 620
    Years ago when I hunted the same enchant it dropped in the first 15 runs. Much more realistic.
  • RaishiiRaishii
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,245
    Instead of an item dissapearing from inventory on failed enchants maybe lock the player out of being able to enchant that item for a weeks time forcing them to hunt for the scroll again.

Not likely to happen because they make money from selling Enchant Protection Potions.
    Also might be cool to see an ingame tab system where you can lookup enchants (regardless of capitalization in the spelling) to see hints of where to get them from.

Would be all for this. Though, it'd be funny to see the description for things like Haunted or Creepy saying something like "gacha only."
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited March 11, 2019
    I once posted a suggestion about enchanting items through your actions and deeds. Example, your sword gains the "Wolf Hunter" enchant by killing many wolves in a certain amount of time. Relating this to your suggestion, "Raccoon Cub" could be enchanted onto magical clothes by clearing a certain dungeon while transformed as a raccoon cub; you must enter the dungeon as a raccoon cub and leave through the finish statue as a raccoon cub, never coming out of the transformation while in the dungeon. If you bring a party, the same rules apply to them; if anyone in the party comes out of the raccoon cub trans then the enchant is forfeit for all. WDYT?
  • SpecialGirlSpecialGirl
    Mabinogi Rep: 680
    there is only 1 outfit that counts as magical clothing for giants =/ and its seemingly impossible to get
  • MiliardoMiliardo
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,470
    I once posted a suggestion about enchanting items through your actions and deeds. Example, your sword gains the "Wolf Hunter" enchant by killing many wolves in a certain amount of time. Relating this to your suggestion, "Raccoon Cub" could be enchanted onto magical clothes by clearing a certain dungeon while transformed as a raccoon cub; you must enter the dungeon as a raccoon cub and leave through the finish statue as a raccoon cub, never coming out of the transformation while in the dungeon. If you bring a party, the same rules apply to them; if anyone in the party comes out of the raccoon cub trans then the enchant is forfeit for all. WDYT?

Neat idea but full of holes. I had a long post written pointing out everything wrong with it but I knew someone would come along to argue against it (because thats what people on the internet do) and it's too much of a pain so I deleted it. TL:DR is it would destabilize the economy and would be too much work for devs for little gain/large risk.
    Miliardo wrote: »

Neat idea but full of holes. I had a long post written pointing out everything wrong with it but I knew someone would come along to argue against it (because thats what people on the internet do) and it's too much of a pain so I deleted it. TL:DR is it would destabilize the economy and would be too much work for devs for little gain/large risk.

Oh I don't care about the economy. It always stabilizes to the new norm. So I guess there's no real downside now.
  • MiliardoMiliardo
    Oh I don't care about the economy.
    And there in lies your problem. A lot of people do care.

Maybe you're attacking this problem from the wrong end. Maybe the combat power system and the skills/features that revolve around it need an improvement.

1. For the skills dependent on monster level (strong, awful, boss), allow defeating higher level monsters to count toward the lower level requirements. Example, if you need to defeat 20 strong enemies then defeating 20 boss enemies should count toward that. All it takes is rewording the skill requirements to "defeat a monster that is strong or higher" or something like that.

2. ???
  • MiliardoMiliardo
    edited March 15, 2019
    Unfortunately that poses its own issues. Namely the cash shop. Nexon sells tendering potions and skill training potions. The Combat Power system is a money source for them, so changing that won't be so easy. I think the real problem at the root of all this is Life Skills and the economy. Take a look at potion making for instance, Potion making is one the skills that should have the highest demand on the market, thats how it was supposed to be; NPCs would only sell weak entry level potions. For the higher level players you needed to buy 100/300 pots from players. Unfortunately Nexon thought it would be a good idea to pad event rewards(and at one point cash shop boxes) with high quality potions that were better than what a player could make (RE/SE pots). This took away a lot of customers and greatly degraded the value of the skill. Other skills are even worse in some ways, while some might argue for skills like blacksmithing/tailoring and other such skills if you compare them to skilling in other MMORPGs I think you will find they are very much lacking. Most MMORPGs design their trade skills in a way to be useful to the player from either a monetary or utility perspective from the start. However in Mabinogi you will be making 99% garbage from start up to rank 1. Yeah there are a few niche items you can take advantage of but most of them will not have much value to other players and will just end up as trash bin waste. Most people avoid these skills so you would think it would balance out for the demand, but the reality is the economy is so broken that the end game crafting is a cheap purchase compared to the craftsman's investment of time and materials, where the average player can go farm SMs and easily obtain more money than the hard working craftsman.

One step towards fixing this for many of those professions is to stimulate the economy, generate more demand for these goods. The most feasible way of doing that is server merging. Many people are against this for various reasons (mostly fear of losing names and the possible effect it will have on the games community) but I believe a good deal more actually want this change. Bigger economy means greater opportunity for profit, more demand for products and less forced undercuts just to make some money back.

The next thing I would do potentially is very controversial and many would likely disagree with it. But I would apply some form of restriction upon most if not all equipment that forms a progression system. This would mean people would not be just grabbing the end game equipment for all their characters, and forces more reliance on the player economy to obtain appropriate gear for that character's progression. This would also open up a variety of options for new cash shop items such as equipment restriction removers, and more demand for weapon appearance scrolls. Of course this would be a huge overhaul of a core system and a risky move (for nexon) so I don't believe this would ever happen.

As for alternatives to the above for improving upon life skills nothing comes to mind immediately though I'm sure if I thought on it long enough something would come up. Mainly though I believe the gap between the gold earned farming SMs and the gold from crafting and/or gathering needs to be decreased.
  • MiliardoMiliardo
    edited March 15, 2019
    accidental double post please delete