Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Can't Log In - graphics card suddenly no good???

WolfsingerWolfsinger
Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
edited March 19, 2019 in Help
so when I tried to open the game up today through the launcher, it suddenly tells me this:
d913183ff3d4e2e1aa261c5c1cf954bd.jpg
This game was running just fine yesterday, and has been for a few months now. So I don't understand where this is coming from.

I looked for possible fixes over the internet, including the default.reg - which I could not find in my Nexon launcher files? So I was not able to use that one. I also reinstalled the graphics card, a Nvidia GeForce GT 730, reinstalled the launcher itself multiple times, and have rebooted the computer itself several times. Every time, I keep getting this error.
I'm at a loss of what to do at this point. Can someone please help?

Comments

• AlexisEUAlexisEU
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,520
    edited March 19, 2019
    default.reg is typically found in: C:\Nexon\Library\mabinogi\appdata

Is it possible a monitor is plugged into the motherboard of which CPU does not have integrated graphics?
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    I found it and used it, but the default doesn't seemed to have changed anything. I'm still receiving the error when I try to log in, so I don't think that's the problem.
    I have only the one monitor, same one I've used for ages, so I don't think so?
  • KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    edited March 19, 2019
    Did your windows recently update? Microsoft announced that they were going to a new type of universal graphics driver system with this update (i believe it was this one currently rolling out). Once installed you unfortunately can't roll back to undo it if it causes problems with your system as the changes it makes are complicated and severely different in functioning from the old style of drivers. With the change, windows supplied drivers would be the only drivers installed (like when you first load windows fresh) and Mabi won't run on windows supplied drivers. If I remember correctly ATI and Nvidia are supposed to be changing over their drivers to this new format (didn't read anything about Intel). All I can suggest is trying to update your driver for your graphics directly from ATI, Nvidia or Intel website (Like you probably did ages ago maybe). Drivers supplied with graphics cards manufactured before this update won't work with the new format required by windows.

Forget specifically where I read about all this (believe it was a magazine), so can't point you to it unfortunately.
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    edited March 19, 2019
    Oh gods.......Facepalm.gif
    Well, I'll look into that...ah joy XD Thanks!
    Will update it if works or not
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    This is actually little known issue, but there's a glitch that will sometimes happen that will cause Mabi to not recognize graphics cards. When this happens you have to go to the app folder and use one of their tools to reset the Mabi registry entries. This will probably wipe all your settings but it will also reset the graphics entry.
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Well the update didn't work, unfortunately. I'm starting to believe my tech just hates me XD
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    This is actually little known issue, but there's a glitch that will sometimes happen that will cause Mabi to not recognize graphics cards. When this happens you have to go to the app folder and use one of their tools to reset the Mabi registry entries. This will probably wipe all your settings but it will also reset the graphics entry.

Which app would that be? I don't mind if it wipes the settings, they needed some work anyway.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Wolfsinger wrote: »
    Well the update didn't work, unfortunately. I'm starting to believe my tech just hates me XD

Which app would that be? I don't mind if it wipes the settings, they needed some work anyway.

I don't remember off the top of my head as I'm away from my Mabi computer, but it should be located in the App folder for Mabi.
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger

I don't remember off the top of my head as I'm away from my Mabi computer, but it should be located in the App folder for Mabi.

Time to go fiddle with files then and see if it blows up or not XDD
    Thanks
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    No luck so far. I think my tech has once again decided to thwart my hopes and dreams.
    Mabi and my computer really don't like each other apparently xP
  • KttyKtty
    If you post complete pc specs... i.e. pc make/model, graphics make/model, windows version, etc... maybe we can figure what's causing the problem and a possible solution. The more info provided, the more likely a solution can be found.
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Alright. Sorry this is not something I know much of honestly. Thank you for your patience with me, this is the furthest I've ever dug in this computer before.
    I'm better versed in breaking things than fixing them.

Um, I know the computer itself is a Dell XPS i7-6700, Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHZ 3.41 GHz, I have installed RAM up to 8.00 GB, and I'm working on Windows 10. The graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 730. I think the monitor is a Dell U2412M Digital.
    Windows and the Graphics card drivers have all been recently updated as well - this afternoon in fact, so....that shouldn't be an issue.
  • KttyKtty
    Was just thinking... are you SURE you used the driver from Nvidia's site and not the one from dell or windows... Are you also sure (if you had done that) be sure it actually installed as both dell and windows like to number/date their drivers as 'newest' to prevent the official drivers from actually installing. to get around that you need to uninstall the dell or windows one n install official ones without being connected to the net and disable updates when doing so or they will simply re-download and install over what you just did. Annoying I know. Otherwise I will keep searching for possible solutions and post here if I find anything.
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    125% sure on the site, not so much about the other though. My only thought there is that the date it gives me on the updated driver is 3/1. Upon searching further onto the website I do find that the driver version matches that date, so I THINK its the right one.
    I do remember there being another graphics card when I uninstalled the nvidia one the first time, which I assume would be the dell/windows one though I cannot remember what it was called. It vanished upon re-installation of the nvidia, but I do wonder now if its possibly causing some trouble in the background?
    I'll look into that next and see if anything happens.
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Okay, so it wasn't the card, but it was pointed out to me by the support team that apparently my Windows was running on an older version. Upon updating that, my game is now working.
    I'm both....relieved, and annoyed, it turned out to be something so simple XDD After all that time.....bah!

Ahh stars above, thank you for your help and patience, guys. You're all amazing and I love you <3
  • KttyKtty
    ...apparently my Windows was running on an older version.

oh? guessing you had turned off updates a long time ago n never did any updates (thus leaving the game missing something it needed from windows)?

• WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Ktty wrote: »
    ...apparently my Windows was running on an older version.

oh? guessing you had turned off updates a long time ago n never did any updates (thus leaving the game missing something it needed from windows)?

I've actually kept it running and regularly updating, so I legit have no idea how I was a version behind. I only paused it while trying to update the graphics card, yesterday. Otherwise its always run and updated regularly.
    Problem solved but I'm still left with questions XDD