Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Dungeon RE:Fine Update and the Beauty Update!
https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/69447/patch-notes-october-7th-2021
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Revitalize Mabinogi: A Classic Competitive Server!

Comments

  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 15,860
    Posts: 2,402
    Member
    I'm not going to copy the massive wall of text where you replied to what I said.

    Regarding how you feel people don't like the events, just because they sit and AFK does not mean they don't like the event, they just find they can do something else while waiting out the timer.

    That point aside.

    I am a veteran player from 2008. I am aware of how things used to be and I don't want to deal with a paywall for content again, even if it is on a separate server. There is nothing to be gained from this but a population burst from short term nostalgia which is likely to die off.

    However, you really want to see how people would like your idea? Put up a poll. It is part of the creation process anyway. Not everyone enjoys typing out their responses if someone is possibly already speaking them. It is a lot easier for people to put in a vote.
  • nibblesthecatnibblesthecat
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,480
    Posts: 42
    Member
    I'm all about 19, 27 and 32, but I'd say just make the game more rewarding in general.

    -The dungeon revamp helped initially, but didn't have much staying power as the dungeons are still pretty boring. My suggestions:
    --Have optional plot-driven quests available for each dungeon, activated by dropping a scroll at the entrance Each could contain specific tasks to be completed and puzzles/riddles to solve. Cooperation could be encouraged by having specific tasks for specific character classes (these should be bonuses for extra rewards/party exp rather than completion requirements so people aren't getting stuck for going solo or not having x character class int he party). (For a kinda'-sorta' example of what I'm talking about, Challenge Mode and the government quests in Phantasy Star Online)
    ---Have a randomized "special" drop at the end of each dungeon might help players feel like it was more worth the effort. Something like an outfit or weapon that got taken off the market long ago.
    -DnD/Pathfinder-style traps & puzzles with meaningful penalties and status effects lasting longer than a few seconds to be avoided or overcome.

    -Newer generations (since Saga 2) are turning into beatdowns with the bosses spamming one or two nasty attacks instead of requiring new strategies. The frustration level is compounded by the still present lag preventing escapes and messing up well-timed attacks. I suggest making the boss' insta-kill attacks into limited use desperation moves, and have a way to escape them.

    -Implement a mentoring system in which players can increase their skill training by observing higher-ranked players.

    -Rather than removing high-powered skills from players, encourage balance by rewarding parties for balancing their cooperation levels.

    That's what I got.
  • IxxiIxxi
    Mabinogi Rep: 715
    Posts: 14
    Member
    Regarding how you feel people don't like the events, just because they sit and AFK does not mean they don't like the event, they just find they can do something else while waiting out the timer.
    I didn't say that the fact that they are AFK means they don't like the event.
    I am a veteran player from 2008. I am aware of how things used to be and I don't want to deal with a paywall for content again, even if it is on a separate server.
    Good for you, you don't have to ever touch the new server, keep playing current mabi then.
    However, you really want to see how people would like your idea? Put up a poll. It is part of the creation process anyway. Not everyone enjoys typing out their responses if someone is possibly already speaking them. It is a lot easier for people to put in a vote.
    I did, and for whatever reason, it was not posted. However, I've reconsidered anyway, since firstly, most of the people on these forums don't actually represent most of the people in the game(who never even use the forums) and secondly, this isn't mainly suggestions for the current playerbase(only the first suggestion is), it's more for people who are considering quitting, or who may return or who have never played before.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 15,860
    Posts: 2,402
    Member
    The reason for the poll is data collection. Like I said, it is part of the creation process even in real life, like in civic matters. They put a vote whether a new project will be done. If people think it would be a waste of resources it doesn't pass.

    ===

    Also when you said you saw the afkers with your own eyes, that is what I am referring to. You did not read my comment properly. I said afkers are just afking, because the event allows them to while they can do something else and that just because they afk does not mean they dislike the event.

    My post: It's also a bit presumptuous to assume players, as a whole, don't like the events. Sure, some complain about them, but they hardly represent the game's audience in its entirety. However, you are correct on one thing, players DO the events for the prizes. THAT'S THE POINT OF THE EVENT, TO EARN PRIZES. Furthermore, people that are AFK are AFK, but they don't have to be AFK to do the events like the Attendance ones. That's their choice.

    Your Response: I don't have to assume, I've seen it with my own eyes, hundreds of players AFK, barely even 1-2 moving around or talking even when trying to talk to them, no response.

    See what I mean now?

    NOW regarding afkers, I do think they should change Keith's part time job so it isn't reliant on the presence of actual players. People will afk for whatever reason, some are sleeping, some at school. It would make people happy if they had you deliver to a random Uladh NPC instead.

    ==

    Also, if this isn't for the majority of players and but for those looking to quit or new players, what is even the point in doing it? That is a terrible plan financially for Nexon who as a business has the main goal of earning money, not hemorrhaging it. The cost of creation would be too much to justify this. Your idea regarding pets and cash shop items slash away a massive amount of revenue that would possibly fund this. You are asking Nexon to make a very big gamble with their funds on the slim chance that this classic server would actually hold the interests of people aiming to quit. Nostalgia only keeps interest for so long.

    Plus, if you're looking to reverse G1-3 to their original longer versions, there is the matter of whether that data still exists or would require being recreation.

  • LepeltjeLepeltje
    Mabinogi Rep: 885
    Posts: 34
    Member
    I removed some posts in here due to discussion of things against the ToS. Please don't post stuff like that here.
  • SapphiraMuseSapphiraMuse
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,450
    Posts: 58
    Member
    I think you've clearly forgotten a few things and you can flame me for this if it makes you feel better, OP.

    1. Mabinogi is not Maplestory. They are two different games with different dynamics and different developers.
    2. Everything we have in Mabinogi now was designed by DevCat with the Korean population in mind.
    3. Nexon NA cannot do anything on its own without going through Nexon KR first.
    4. If you really want your ideas considered, go talk to DevCat and Nexon KR. More than likely they'll tell you no.
    LeineiGretaDraechTsukiDono
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 15,860
    Posts: 2,402
    Member
    I think you've clearly forgotten a few things and you can flame me for this if it makes you feel better, OP.

    1. Mabinogi is not Maplestory. They are two different games with different dynamics and different developers.
    2. Everything we have in Mabinogi now was designed by DevCat with the Korean population in mind.
    3. Nexon NA cannot do anything on its own without going through Nexon KR first.
    4. If you really want your ideas considered, go talk to DevCat and Nexon KR. More than likely they'll tell you no.

    This is all very well and true. Chances are if it doesn't show up in Korea first, it won't show up here. There has been some NA exclusive events done for us, but again that was an event, not something so massive an undertaking as a classic server.
  • IxxiIxxi
    Mabinogi Rep: 715
    Posts: 14
    Member
    edited March 26, 2019
    @SapphireMuse , you may indeed be right about what you say, however in that case.. can someone care to remind me what the point of this suggestion forum actually is? Apparently I posted my post in the wrong section. Why have a suggestion forum if suggestions are not wanted? Is it to appeal to Nexon enough for them to then try and appeal to DevCat/Nexon KR? I don't care about "flaming" anyone. Just wanted to suggest something for the game that I love. Maybe the hours of effort I put into my post & replying was all for nothing, I guess we'll see in the end.

    @Leinei , it's really, truly NOT some massive undertaking. You don't seem to have any true understanding of how game development works if you think it's going to be a massive undertaking, and I'm not trying to "flame" you by saying that. The vast majority of the suggestions are simply changing a few lines of code around or numbers, even in most cases back to how they used to be. The only massive undertaking part of it is getting Nexon/NexonKR/Devcat to actually care enough to implement it.
  • YuoichiYuoichi
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,335
    Posts: 161
    Member
    So you want to have pay to win game????? the hell is this post.
  • IxxiIxxi
    Mabinogi Rep: 715
    Posts: 14
    Member
    Yuoichi wrote: »
    So you want to have pay to win game????? the hell is this post.
    Only you, Yuoichi, have to pay to win, but everyone else doesn't. I hope you brought a lot of money.
    Yuoichi
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,655
    Posts: 886
    Member
    No to all of these. It's 2019, I'm not gonna play 2008-2011 mabi, in 2019.
    LeineiGreta
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 46,735
    Posts: 6,947
    Member
    Seems like i wasn't one on this.

    P.S: Maplestory 2 is already dead after just 3-5 months. No idea how the oldschool one is doing, but i'm pretty sure it's struggling too.
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,490
    Posts: 484
    Member
    The whole world is struggling.
  • DraechDraech
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,375
    Posts: 355
    Member
    @Ixxi There are two main points I think need to be stated.
    1. Even if this is an optional server, like Runescape did with Oldschool, it still affects the game's reputation and has a maintenance cost. As such, it would have to be properly marketed, not just some server to cater to a few people who liked it better in the old days.
    2. Things are pay-to-win when they give you an edge you cannot reasonably attain otherwise. While it's true that the Saint Guardian/Abyss Dragon Armours and many enchants are borderline pay-to-win, Training Potions are not; they merely allow players to level some skills faster (Hillwen Engineering/Magic Craft training potions might be pay-to-win). Real pay-to-win would be adding the Soluna Blade to gacha, or in a hundred dollar sales pack the way FFXV:ANE does.

    As for why I think you get half of the content, and why it's a bad idea? First off, Free To Play brings in a lot of potential customers. "Forced" Premium memberships (i.e. paywalls) are no longer a sustainable business model, as they not only look bad, but force the devs to constantly add new content to keep players renewing their membership.

    Second, what has been proven with previous suggestions of permadeath is that players care a whole lot about building their character in this game. Not everyone is in it for competitive aspects the way you think, because most play this game to "Live their Fantasy Life." That's why there's so little PvP content, few Leaderboards for events and activities, and a chance for everyone to enjoy the game however they like, even if that involves AFKing or only chatting with friends instead of doing content. So no, your point about being competitive isn't reaching many players, because this is not that kind of game.

    Third, you're suggesting to remove many buff items (note: not game-breaking items, but actually useful yet unessential items like Shadow Crystals and Nao Soul Stones) as well as restrict the ability to fly for everyone, and nerfing Memoirs and Shadow Missions. Removing things only creates frustration; first rule of customer service.

    And finally, two points I want to emphasize on.
    [T]here are thousands of people who play videogames that have NEVER heard of Mabinogi, and can't even PRONOUNCE the name of it, which is a TERRIBLE thing!
    What if I told you that the use of Irish language is a selling point? And who cares if you can't pronounce it right. No one knows whether it's really "ratha-loss" or "ratha-low-ss," and who cares?
    In my opinion they just aren't as fun as the dungeons & are laid out very poorly compared to the linear dungeons.
    Wait, did you just say dungeons are fun? Skyrim dungeons are fun (kinda). Mabi's dungeons are the most boring, repetitive things in this game, and Karu is the epitome of this statement.

    While there is some useful feedback in this, most of it is way too subjective to be taken seriously by the most vocal of this forum's userbase.

    P.S. It's hard to take you seriously when your suggestion starts in the most obnoxious way possible. Humility goes a long way, kid.
    GretaLeinei
  • TargaryenTargaryen
    Mabinogi Rep: 600
    Posts: 26
    Member
    I really do like the idea of a server merge.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 46,735
    Posts: 6,947
    Member
    edited March 26, 2019
    Draech wrote: »
    P.S. It's hard to take you seriously when your suggestion starts in the most obnoxious way possible. Humility goes a long way, kid.

    THANK YOU for pointing this out. This is pretty much the reason why i started to act kinda in a smug way. No one will take a person seriously if they right away try to make themselves look higher than the others.
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,655
    Posts: 886
    Member
    Oh my god, I am laughing. I completely missed the part were the OP is complaining about the name of Mabinogi. Yeah this person is trolling. Who complains about the name of a game, just because it's from a different culture. I guess the person only knows Words that are in their small vocabulary.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 15,860
    Posts: 2,402
    Member
    edited March 26, 2019
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    Oh my god, I am laughing. I completely missed the part were the OP is complaining about the name of Mabinogi. Yeah this person is trolling. Who complains about the name of a game, just because it's from a different culture. I guess the person only knows Words that are in their small vocabulary.

    I missed it too. Mabinogi is based on the Mabinogion if I remember right.

    On a side note, I wish the forum mods would stop trolls... Then again they seem rather dedicated to this "suggestion".
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 46,735
    Posts: 6,947
    Member
    edited March 26, 2019
    Leinei wrote: »
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    Oh my god, I am laughing. I completely missed the part were the OP is complaining about the name of Mabinogi. Yeah this person is trolling. Who complains about the name of a game, just because it's from a different culture. I guess the person only knows Words that are in their small vocabulary.

    I missed it too. Mabinogi is based on the Mabinogion if I remember right.

    On a side note, I wish the forum mods would stop trolls... Then again they seem rather dedicated to this "suggestion".

    We missed it because OP added it a bit later.

    This thread is going to be very entertaining.
    Targaryen wrote: »
    I really do like the idea of a server merge.

    Yeah a suggestion that probably anyones dog and cat can already make too. Server Merge is a meme in our community.
  • TargaryenTargaryen
    Mabinogi Rep: 600
    Posts: 26
    Member
    Greta wrote: »
    Leinei wrote: »
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    Oh my god, I am laughing. I completely missed the part were the OP is complaining about the name of Mabinogi. Yeah this person is trolling. Who complains about the name of a game, just because it's from a different culture. I guess the person only knows Words that are in their small vocabulary.

    I missed it too. Mabinogi is based on the Mabinogion if I remember right.

    On a side note, I wish the forum mods would stop trolls... Then again they seem rather dedicated to this "suggestion".

    We missed it because OP added it a bit later.

    This thread is going to be very entertaining.
    Targaryen wrote: »
    I really do like the idea of a server merge.

    Yeah a suggestion that probably anyones dog and cat can already make too. Server Merge is a meme in our community.

    I don't know why you're being so rude on this thread.
This discussion has been closed.