Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi Computer

RedKiraRedKira
Mabinogi Rep: 1,110
in General Chat
I'm looking to get back into Mabinogi after 2 years of having no computer.
While I do eventually want a gaming laptop for many reasons, I'm looking for something more affordable right now.

Does anyone know of some decent, laptops that will play Mabinogi?

Other Info:
-I live in Ontario, Canada; so, nothing that isn't available here/doesn't ship here
-laptop is preferred, but I won't say no to desktop+monitor suggestions
-Preferably below $600-700 CAD

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    These are the preferred requirements to run the game if you haven't already looked at it.
    Most computers of this standard should run the game fine, and it will all depend on your internet connection.

http://mabinogi.nexon.net/Support/ClientDrivers
    Greta
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited May 3, 2019
    I am pretty sure any computer developed in the last five years can run Mabinogi. It is not a graphically intense game.
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    I am pretty sure any computer developed in the last five years can run Mabinogi. It is not a graphically intense game.

Boy do I wish not ALL games were graphic intensive, I mean have ya heard of a game that had DESTROYED a gaming system to the point it won't turn on anymore? Yep a lot of players were gosh awfully angry with the dev of that game.

While most action games with graphics so intensive you have a heavy dose of frame lag making the game near unplayable for an action game about skill. Game devs these days don't know how to make a genre game good while being functional.
    Alshian wrote: »

Boy do I wish not ALL games were graphic intensive, I mean have ya heard of a game that had DESTROYED a gaming system to the point it won't turn on anymore? Yep a lot of players were gosh awfully angry with the dev of that game.

While most action games with graphics so intensive you have a heavy dose of frame lag making the game near unplayable for an action game about skill. Game devs these days don't know how to make a genre game good while being functional.

They work like neets.
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    Fellow Ontarian <3
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited May 3, 2019
    This computer seems to run mabi pretty well

npqpa0.jpg
    AlexisEUWolfsingerBlissfulkillRadiant DawnRedKiraFaithrendJayy124
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,605
    edited May 3, 2019
    Mabi will run alright on as low as a Radeon HD4650 GPU wise from personal experience, but the game's spaghetti code means it's performance is massively dependent on your CPU. Since the game only accepts inputs on rendered frames the lower your FPS the more "lag" you get before the packets are even sent to the server and worse still it only really uses 2 threads so you need a CPU with high single core performance. Laptops have massively gimped CPUs due to size and cooling restraints so if you want a GOOD experience with Mabi I would suggest against playing it on one, along with the fact you'll be more tempted to use wireless instead of a proper wired connection with will further cripple your experience and add another 30-150~ms of lag depending on where you live and how garbage the wireless chip in the laptop and your router are (also if your home has walls).

Personal suggestion: Wait a few months until AMD's Ryzen 3000 series launches and pick up the R3 3300G APU, the CPU's instructions per clock are superior to the current Ryzen 2000 series as well as any of Intel's current offerings so Mabi will be able to get a good frame rate on it, the integrated 12 Navi compute units for graphics will also be more than enough for running Mabinogi even at high resolutions and with a mere $99 USD MSRP should easily allow you to pick up a motherboard, RAM, case, power supply, SSD, and monitor (potentially aftermarket cooler if you want to overclock it) within your budget. DOWNSIDE: it isn't out so you'll have to wait on the product launch.
    ALTERNATIVELY: check out the local used market for a cheap (less than $300 USD ideally) intel i7 system and buy an rx570 (around $100~USD new) to toss into it and it'll give you a decent experience.
    If you do end up going the laptop route though do yourself a huge favor and run an ethernet cable to your desk for it, or get a pair of powerline adapters so you don't suffer the massive latency penalty from wifi, Mabi is excessively sensitive to latency having been designed for South Korea where at worst you're getting 5ms to the server.

Personally I got a used i7 2600 (not -K), threw an rx580 into it after the GeForce GTX 760 in it died to honey water from the top of the sky, Mabi runs around 80~100FPS on average though it varries from region to region and if I my inventory is open, that can plummet it down to a horrendous 30FPS. Hope this information is of some use to you.
    PolicromaRedKira
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited May 4, 2019
    You can try tigerdirect and look under refurbished or business computers. I've done business with these guys for years and always get decent deals for really decent computers.

This one will work just fine for mabi and more, 10x better than what you can find at walmart and for much cheaper: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6221880&Sku= I have purchased refurbished from them before for my daughter and hers works just fine for mabi and sims 4. You'll just have to find a monitor and other basic accessories (keyboard, mouse, speakers or headset, ext). It's a business computer, but those computers are supposed to be reliable and handle a lot of work load. I know a player who plays mabi from work on a business computer. He runs phantasm just fine and dandy. :)

Just in case this link is deleted I have noted you with a link to this computer. 350$ dude, and then just 100$ for a monitor, 20$ for a keyboard, 10$ for a mouse, 20$ for a headset, maybe 10$ for a ethernet cable if you don't have one (business computer means no wifi, but I wouldn't game on wifi anyway lol). You'll be good to go.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited May 4, 2019
    Just buy a decent laptop. I think ~300$ will be enough. Can spend a little more if you want it to be less potato.
    Faithrend
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    edited May 4, 2019
    Something you may want to consider: A lot of newer laptops will give you a small M2 as a boot drive, and have a mechanical hard drive for storage. (They call it something dumb and psuedo techy like "expanded memory".) If the M2 is big enough to put mabi on it without messing with your Windows install, do so. This will give you a huge boost on loading screens.

Also, there's some decent AMD processors that have graphics built in. Not a top-of-the-line solution, but may be good for mabi! (Should be good for laptops and certain types of motherboards.)
    RedKira
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    RedKira wrote: »
    I'm looking to get back into Mabinogi after 2 years of having no computer.
    While I do eventually want a gaming laptop for many reasons, I'm looking for something more affordable right now.

Does anyone know of some decent, laptops that will play Mabinogi?

Other Info:
    -I live in Ontario, Canada; so, nothing that isn't available here/doesn't ship here
    -laptop is preferred, but I won't say no to desktop+monitor suggestions
    -Preferably below $600-700 CAD

With that kind of budget you can find something that will do the job even at Best Buy. I'm on a several year old HP Laptop from Best Buy of that price, and I haven't even had to twiddle the game settings at all, in fact, I have them cranked for fancyness. Remember you're running Mab here not competing in a High End FPS league.
  • RedKiraRedKira
    Gaby5011 wrote: »
    Fellow Ontarian <3

<3! One of 3 I've met (2 from this post, haha.)
  • RedKiraRedKira
    Thanks for all the great replies!
    I'm definitely looking into the listed suggestions and will see what looks best for me :)
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited May 5, 2019
    Arjune wrote: »

npqpa0.jpg

Man, do female gamers really play in that sort of attire?! :D

Edit: The fact that the second monitor has the cash shop webpage open worries me. What are you trying to tell us, Nexon?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Fellow Ontarian <3

Me too! Best we not talk hockey though.
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    Helsa wrote: »
    Fellow Ontarian <3

Yeah I hate hockey.
    RedKira
    Arjune wrote: »

npqpa0.jpg

Man, do female gamers really play in that sort of attire?! :D

Edit: The fact that the second monitor has the cash shop webpage open worries me. What are you trying to tell us, Nexon?

Female gamers are a mystery one should not dig deeper into.
    Helsa wrote: »
    Fellow Ontarian <3

Yeah I hate hockey.

Canadians beating the common sterotype, agh! It's getting too bright, too powerful!
    RedKiraWolfsinger