Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Something is going on at Nexon HQ from news

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Welcome to the Darkpixie99/kensamaformerlyofmari thread. :)

You two should host a business show on PBS.
    Darkpixie99
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Nexon beat its earnings projections in both PC and mobile boosted by Maplestory, which saw revenue increase by 69% year on year, Kartrider saw a 3x increase in revenue year on year.

Dungeon Fighter matched last year's projected Q1 high, FIFA online also a boost.

Q1 projects for PC games ranged from 60 billion yen to 76 billion yen. Revenue beat expectations with over 77 billion in PC game revenue.
    77 billion yen = about 701.8 million USD.

North America generated 4.166 billion yen or 37.9 million USD, a 2% increase from 2018 Q1.

The best areas of growth were in Europe, increase of 61% and Japan 31%. The huge jump for Europe surpassed North America as the 3rd highest revenue source.

North America
    Results as planned. Revenues up year-overyear, primarily driven by mobile business
    • Year-over-year growth driven by contributions from
    MapleStory M, Darkness Rises, and MapleStory 2
    launched in 2018; new mobile game AxE (Feb)
    • Year-over-year growth partially offset by
    deceleration of Choices4
    , DomiNations, and
    MapleStory

Basically, new games impressed but some older games disappointed in North America. Maplestory 1 disappointing is expected as people started to shift over to Maplestory 2.

No mention of Mabi, so assuming Mabi was pretty much stable.

North America Outlook
    North America
    Expect year-over-year growth, benefiting from
    MapleStory M and AxE
    • Scheduled to launch OVERHIT, Magia,
    SINoALICE, and Durango: Wild Lands

Basically expecting new mobile games to provide growth in revenue.

The only mentions of Mabinogi is that it is a significant in Japan as Mabinogi mobile and PC version in Korea.
    Helsa wrote: »
    Welcome to the Darkpixie99/kensamaformerlyofmari thread. :)

You two should host a business show on PBS.

If it's worth it, we could do one for Mabi here, because NBR already took the spot on PBS. xD
    Darkpixie99Wolfsinger
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited May 10, 2019
    Enormous Longevity in the Major Franchises
    Some giant bold words there.
    I'd have to say that despite EA and it's own FIFA loot box scandal...
    if it's in the presentation, then it didn't impact the FIFA 2017 sales all that much.
    Cafes or PC Bangs should definitely still be trending.
    Mobile doesn't seem to be that popular, can't help but chalk that down as Nexon's reputation from the PC users.

China-Dungeon&Fighter outperformed. Stronger-than-expected Lunar New
    Year package sales and item sales in March

That's actually kind of to be expected, it did seem like an indie mobile game.
    Good news is that Maplestory won't be dead for Korea anytime soon.
    Gotta keep pumping out that merch while it's still hot!

North America
    Results as planned. Revenues up year-overyear, primarily driven by mobile business

Wait, results as planned? Did they really have no faith? (It's called loot box addiction. People still buy the gamble anyways.)
    Maplestory probably dropped in popularity because 2D side scrollers are better on mobile nowadays.
    (There was also the release of MS2 to siphon profit from the original.)

Wow, Nexon seems to be fighting tooth and nail with Maplestory profit.
    Yeah, they pretty much confirmed that.
    North America
    Expect year-over-year growth, benefiting from
    MapleStory M and AxE
    • Scheduled to launch OVERHIT, Magia,
    SINoALICE, and Durango: Wild Lands

The Pipeline page seems to be their 2019- early 2020 launch goals.
    Guys, there's a FFXIR(2) on mobile! That's as hot a fandom as Fire Emblem!
    Though I thought that was a Square Enix thing? Collab, maybe?
    Mabinogi Mobile will def hit KR sometime this year.
    DFO 2D Mobile for everywhere but here in NA.

Wait, China has half the full time employees of NA? Are they okay?
    Nexon is not gonna have a JP overwork situation there, are they?
    Seems like Chinese employees could be working overtime on multiple part times.
    Or is KR's 5k full timers just normal for a business with tons of branches?

WAIT, Nexon made Choices!? At least that explains the odd popularity.
    As long as that's still trending on the App Store, it'll still make dough.
    Oof, Mabinogi is only a Key Title in Korea. NA's PC era is indeed faltering.

So as their games go up and down in profit, they want to jump off that cliff and actually take more chances with new launches?
    I'm not sure how that vision will pan out in reality. Seems a bit too hopeful, unless you over hype on Twitch streams all the time.
    You'd have to be bought out by Amazon for the free advertisement revenue, which in all likelihood isn't going to happen.

Now I will have to disagree with you on faltering PC games in NA, because in the end it's still makes a greater portion of revenue than mobile and grew versus last year's Q1.

I believe they focused on their core markets to impress bidders next week and they can also show their profile has stability in growth in other areas like NA as well.

While as consumers, we have been seeing stagnation of PC games, I will be surprised if they won't put more effort into Q3. I'm saying Q3 because I think that is going to be a quarter where they can really bump things up and especially since we might know who will be buying NXC. There's been uncertainty globally this current quarter Q2, I expect declines in the next report (which would be July). I believe a lot as to do with the sale of the company.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Now I will have to disagree with you on faltering PC games in NA, because in the end it's still makes a greater portion of revenue than mobile and grew versus last year's Q1.

I believe they focused on their core markets to impress bidders next week and they can also show their profile has stability in growth in other areas like NA as well.

While as consumers, we have been seeing stagnation of PC games, I will be surprised if they won't put more effort into Q3. I'm saying Q3 because I think that is going to be a quarter where they can really bump things up and especially since we might know who will be buying NXC. There's been uncertainty globally this current quarter Q2, I expect declines in the next report (which would be July). I believe a lot as to do with the sale of the company.

They did mention to anticipate a drop with the company shares, pretty sure it was indeed to anticipate the shuffling around of staff and values.
    It could be a certain amount of stagnation time where either nothing gets done, or things are merely maintained.
    Last I checked, Nexon is scheduled for E3. Hopefully we see at least something to anticipate this year.

They did mention to anticipate a drop with the company shares, pretty sure it was indeed to anticipate the shuffling around of staff and values.
    It could be a certain amount of stagnation time where either nothing gets done, or things are merely maintained.
    Last I checked, Nexon is scheduled for E3. Hopefully we see at least something to anticipate this year.

Anytime a company merges or is acquired, stock prices are good to sell.
    Darkpixie99
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nexon-sale/south-korean-gaming-firm-nexons-parent-delays-bidding-for-stake-sale-sources-idUSKCN1SK07O

Reuters

South Korean gaming firm Nexon's parent delays bidding for stake sale: sources

SEOUL (Reuters) - The parent of top South Korean gaming firm Nexon Co Ltd has delayed the bidding process scheduled this week for its controlling stake in the company, two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters, sending its shares sharply lower.

Any postponement will raise concerns for the future of a deal that would rank as one of South Korea’s biggest, and at potentially $16 billion, the biggest gaming deal worldwide.

“How the deal is going forward is uncertain, that is hitting shares of Nexon companies that are responding a lot to news related to the sale,” said Lee Chang-young, an analyst at Yuanta Securities.

Nexon shares listed in Japan were down 5 percent as of 0437 GMT, while the broader Nikkei share average was 0.8 percent softer. Nexon affiliates Nexon GT and Nat Games both tumbled 19 percent after Reuters reported the postponement.

One of the sources said the bidding, scheduled for Wednesday, had been postponed by one week. The sources did not elaborate on the reasons for the delay and declined to be identified because the matter was confidential.

A spokeswoman for Nexon’s holding firm, NXC Corp, declined to comment.

Billionaire Jungju Kim is selling a 98.64 percent stake held by himself and his wife in NXC, the holding company that owns 48 percent of Nexon, whose Dungeon Fighter game is a smash hit in South Korea and China.

Chinese gaming giant Tencent, South Korean tech firms Netmarble and Kakao, as well as private equity firms Bain Capital, MBK Partners and KKR submitted initial bids in February, sources told Reuters previously.

Tencent is seen as the key to any deal since it owns the exclusive China licence for Dungeon Fighter.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited May 14, 2019
    Delayed for one week under mysterious circumstances, how strange indeed.
    Declining to comment is only fair, they have to right to keep it under wraps, whatever it is.
    Guess we're still going to have to wait and see.
    It's a good thing I have the new season of Agents of SHIELD to occupy my popcorn with.
    Oh, and also arbitrarily stalking the Peria Chronicles KR websites on occasion.

Speaking of Peria Chronicles...
    It seems the four short days were all they were planning at the time. Though it makes sense for a pre CBT testing phase.
    There does seem to already be some mixed reviews on the Peria Chronicles Facebook page, but this is Nexon.
    If it does manage to reach a testing phase in NA, be aware that it could get grindy.
    Well, they don't know if it will be 1 week or even longer. The 1 week delay is just speculation.
    The reason is because there has been too much speculation on who the prospective buyer would be affecting NXC's stock price.
    Also, the actions of Little Tariff Man doesn't help either.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited May 16, 2019
    Well, they don't know if it will be 1 week or even longer. The 1 week delay is just speculation.
    The reason is because there has been too much speculation on who the prospective buyer would be affecting NXC's stock price.

In good news, Nexon has a new game to openly compete with Fornite:

• WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    ......I have no words for what I see, and I can't decide if that's a good thing or not
    Darkpixie99
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Oh goodie another possible Pay to win game. If it has pay to win it can never compare to fornite xD
    Darkpixie99
  • LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,360
    edited May 17, 2019

In good news, Nexon has a new game to openly compete with Fornite:

If that title sticks to its roots being a Quake mod made into a full-fledged game, then there might be some hype behind it. On the other hand, Nexon's track record on competitive & FPS games have ended up flopping, whether the game titles themselves had to be closed down, or desperately moved away from the Nexon name as a whole.
    Imaizumi
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Liberate wrote: »
    If that title sticks to its roots being a Quake mod made into a full-fledged game, then there might be some hype behind it. On the other hand, Nexon's track record on competitive & FPS games have ended up flopping, whether the game titles themselves had to be closed down, or desperately moved away from the Nexon name as a whole.

Nexon might be pay to win, but at least they release content and events at a steady enough stream to actually try and compete with Fortnite.
    It's a dirty tactic, but it works in making Nexon profit nonetheless.

edited May 17, 2019
    Liberate wrote: »

Nexon might be pay to win, but at least they release content and events at a steady enough stream to actually try and compete with Fortnite.
    It's a dirty tactic, but it works in making Nexon profit nonetheless.

If their aim is to get into Esports, now is the time.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited May 19, 2019
    If their aim is to get into Esports, now is the time.

Gotta win that 2020 E3 and become a part of history, or else you'll be history.

*Edit*
    To avoid double post:
    According to this article
    “Rocket Arena” is coming to PC and Xbox One at launch, and it will have cross-platform play, Nexon said. A PlayStation 4 version is also in development.
    Boom, Nexon can land an E3 2019 win for a brand spanking new crossplay game.
    As for E3 2020: All Peria Chronicles has to do is show up, doesn't even have to be a demo or complete product.

E3 2018 critic article

*Edit*
    Gaea wrote: »
    Here is a thought to think about... Nexon dropping G23 and Server Merge at the same time. :P
    Oh look they have their own building now with a sidewalk. :)
    https://goo.gl/maps/VGcit8hTGsLNQuAd8

This could be our Nexon, or the Nexon car. If this is our Nexon, then it's a sign that everything's still hunky dory.
    Auction or not, business is booming.
    Let's see what happens on Friday
    http://www.koreaittimes.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=90809

Main bidding for sale of NXC postponed again

Kim Jung-joo, did you want too much? Delay the main bid for NXC sale again.
    Industry's "sell prices are too high" and some say "may never happen"

The main bidding schedule for Nexon's sale has been delayed again. According to the game industry on May 15, the main bidding for the sale of Nexon's holding company NXC, which was scheduled for the same day, has been postponed until the 24th.

UBS, Deutsche Securities and Morgan Stanley, the lead managers for the sale, notified the prospective buyers that they were delaying the main bidding schedule.

Previously selected as eligible candidates for the acquisition are Kakao, Chinese game company Tencent and local private equity fund MBK Partners.

This is Nexon's second postponement of the sale's main bid. It has already been delayed from the middle of last month to May 15.

Recently, there have been rumors that CEO Kim Jung-ju offered Disney in the U.S to buy the company directly and was rejected, and the race to acquire Nexon has become increasingly unpredictable.

Industries are pointing to high selling prices as reasons for the delay in the sale. NXC CEO Kim initially hoped for the sale price of 15 trillion to 20 trillion won, but analysts say the candidates for the acquisition failed to meet the expectations.

"There will be no buyers who want to buy NXC shares at the price that Kim is trying to sell," a source from the game industry told the JoongAng Ilbo. "The difference between the price that he wants to sell and the price that the buyers think was too big. Investors want to buy the shares after M&A and resell them to realize profits. But the market watchers believe that Nexon's ability to generate sales cannot make such a profit."

Some point out that the postponement of the main bidding was due to Nexon's poor performance. There is no "Cash Cow" other than Nexon's flagship game "Dungeon & Fighter."

Some observers say Nexon will sell only its game division in the future to lower the acquisition price, as such high acquisition prices pose a stumbling block to the sale.

출처 : Korea IT Times(http://www.koreaittimes.com)
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited May 22, 2019
    tenor.gif

"No Cash Cow," they said. They are clearly uninformed of the games currently in development.
    Otherwise they might be willing to bid higher, the poor chumps.
    All it takes to make Peria Chronicles and Rocket Arena number one at E3 2020 is to be 100x better than Fornite with higher content drop speed, and collaborations out the wazoo. That's quite literally all it takes these days, is outperformance and affordable cheap prices.
    Also cross-play, which Rocket Arena will have at launch.
    *cough* Fortnite is a loser *cough*
    At least the Disney rumors paid off, everyone wants to get a bid in soon. (Even if it's a lowball.)
    "Nexon's ability to generate sales cannot make such a profit."
    Well excuse me princess, have you seen the loot box controversy?
    Tell me that even Nexon isn't at least among the companies still making some bank off of loot boxes labeled gachapons.

Companies these days, gotta have profit handed to them right off the bat, I swear.
    Nexon's audience might be small in comparison, but it rose in profitability thanks to MS2's UGC Cash Shop.
    (And the memes helped garner a bit of attention on Twitch/Youtube.)
    The tax evasion was enough to alert you that work was a requirement, it's only natural to lose profit in the process of rearrangements.
    I bet if these whiners did win Nexon, they'd be too frustrated about lost profit to even think about touching Mabinogi's spaghetti code.
    If anything, they'd shut Mabinogi down and lose more profit than it costs to maintain it.
    (Nexon KR's Director is working on that, btw. Plus tons of updates sitting there waiting to be translated/updated after the Server Merge.)
    I don't know how growth and projected growth is not generating sales and profit, but the gaming industry as a whole does have stagnant sales in the current format.So what?