Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Something is going on at Nexon HQ from news

Comments

• PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    edited May 22, 2019

#fud #lock #threadgg
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited May 22, 2019
    I don't know how growth and projected growth is not generating sales and profit, but the gaming industry as a whole does have stagnant sales in the current format.So what?

Like I said in my previous comment, E3 2019-2020 is when Nexon's Cash Cows will show up. (Rocket Arena and Peria Chronicles.)
    There's quite literally no reason not to bid now and put forth the effort to continue for that stretch goal.
    Seems like the bidders just want something to whine about by claiming to lose profit.
    (I'm actually glad the bid was postponed if this is the kinda attitude Nexon KR has to negotiate with.)
    Ever heard of the phrase, "Spend money to make money?" That's Nexon in a profitable nutshell.
    It can't get any dumber than the excuses people want to make for them continuing to lowball on a postponed bid.

tenor.gif

"No Cash Cow," they said. They are clearly uninformed of the games currently in development.
    Otherwise they might be willing to bid higher, the poor chumps.
    All it takes to make Peria Chronicles and Rocket Arena number one at E3 2020 is to be 100x better than Fornite with higher content drop speed, and collaborations out the wazoo. That's quite literally all it takes these days, is outperformance and affordable cheap prices.
    Also cross-play, which Rocket Arena will have at launch.
    *cough* Fortnite is a loser *cough*
    At least the Disney rumors paid off, everyone wants to get a bid in soon. (Even if it's a lowball.)
    "Nexon's ability to generate sales cannot make such a profit."
    Well excuse me princess, have you seen the loot box controversy?
    Tell me that even Nexon isn't at least among the companies still making some bank off of loot boxes labeled gachapons.

Companies these days, gotta have profit handed to them right off the bat, I swear.
    Nexon's audience might be small in comparison, but it rose in profitability thanks to MS2's UGC Cash Shop.
    (And the memes helped garner a bit of attention on Twitch/Youtube.)
    The tax evasion was enough to alert you that work was a requirement, it's only natural to lose profit in the process of rearrangements.
    I bet if these whiners did win Nexon, they'd be too frustrated about lost profit to even think about touching Mabinogi's spaghetti code.
    If anything, they'd shut Mabinogi down and lose more profit than it costs to maintain it.
    (Nexon KR's Director is working on that, btw. Plus tons of updates sitting there waiting to be translated/updated after the Server Merge.)

Pan wrote: »
    If you're not here to civilly discuss the business of Nexon as a business, then you're the FUD Pan.

Sherri
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    I don't know how growth and projected growth is not generating sales and profit, but the gaming industry as a whole does have stagnant sales in the current format.So what?

Like I said in my previous comment, E3 2019-2020 is when Nexon's Cash Cows will show up. (Rocket Arena and Peria Chronicles.)
    There's quite literally no reason not to bid now and put forth the effort to continue for that stretch goal.
    Seems like the bidders just want something to whine about by claiming to lose profit.
    (I'm actually glad the bid was postponed if this is the kinda attitude Nexon KR has to negotiate with.)
    Ever heard of the phrase, "Spend money to make money?" That's Nexon in a profitable nutshell.
    It can't get any dumber than the excuses people want to make for them continuing to lowball on a postponed bid.

tenor.gif

"No Cash Cow," they said. They are clearly uninformed of the games currently in development.
    Otherwise they might be willing to bid higher, the poor chumps.
    All it takes to make Peria Chronicles and Rocket Arena number one at E3 2020 is to be 100x better than Fornite with higher content drop speed, and collaborations out the wazoo. That's quite literally all it takes these days, is outperformance and affordable cheap prices.
    Also cross-play, which Rocket Arena will have at launch.
    *cough* Fortnite is a loser *cough*
    At least the Disney rumors paid off, everyone wants to get a bid in soon. (Even if it's a lowball.)
    "Nexon's ability to generate sales cannot make such a profit."
    Well excuse me princess, have you seen the loot box controversy?
    Tell me that even Nexon isn't at least among the companies still making some bank off of loot boxes labeled gachapons.

Companies these days, gotta have profit handed to them right off the bat, I swear.
    Nexon's audience might be small in comparison, but it rose in profitability thanks to MS2's UGC Cash Shop.
    (And the memes helped garner a bit of attention on Twitch/Youtube.)
    The tax evasion was enough to alert you that work was a requirement, it's only natural to lose profit in the process of rearrangements.
    I bet if these whiners did win Nexon, they'd be too frustrated about lost profit to even think about touching Mabinogi's spaghetti code.
    If anything, they'd shut Mabinogi down and lose more profit than it costs to maintain it.
    (Nexon KR's Director is working on that, btw. Plus tons of updates sitting there waiting to be translated/updated after the Server Merge.)

Pan wrote: »
    If you're not here to civilly discuss the business of Nexon as a business, then you're the FUD Pan.

He's doing his best to get threads locked. So pay no heed to him unless it's funny.
    Darkpixie99WolfsingerImaizumiSherri
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited May 22, 2019
    No need to pay him heed unless it's funny.
    Speaking of funny, we could make a meme to commemorate the audacity of another company saying that Nexon has no cash cows.
    Anyone who is anyone in business also pays attention to to the global market nowadays. (*cough* Maplestory *cough*)
    Not that it's my department to know, it really makes me wonder if those lowball reasonings either came from China, or Korea.
    If it came from a newer generation in Korea, then Nexon has my condolences. Their hopes of self improvement are everyone's hopes.
    Companies are never going to make an acquisition at the price the seller wants. They will always try to make it as low as they can. As a seller, they should always try to value high but also have an number they are willing to settle for. Just the normal everyday haggling.

DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of its affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of its affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited May 22, 2019
    Companies are never going to make an acquisition at the price the seller wants. They will always try to make it as low as they can. As a seller, they should always try to value high but also have an number they are willing to settle for. Just the normal everyday haggling.

DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of its affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of its affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.

As to how the Disney bid claims turned out false, it may prove to be the case as to where he does settle at something as close as possible.
    Now, first remember where he's at in this moment.
    He's been outed by the press as a tax evader, and goes to auction his company for the value price.
    He wants to get the business out of his hair, but he also wants the bid to be 15-20 tril won as per the value estimate.
    Handing the company over to another company who claims you have no cash cows is plain stupid, everyone knows that.
    More confidential issues arise, and the bid is postponed once more. (To his pure lucky or unlucky coincidence, I suppose.)
    Either he has to pick and choose, or continue to pray that someone with an ego as big as his wallet steps onto the scene.
    I'd have to agree that the settlement is a very good option right now.
    Well, it wasn't really a Disney bid or not bidding. That was all speculation by the media. What was true was the Kim went to Disney as his preferred choice of a buyer. He made an offer and Disney said no thanks. That was all.

I believe he got out of his tax evasion mess with no further issues. But the extremely rich tend to run into tax problems because they hardly do their own taxes and there's bound to be some trouble. Tax issues is the exact reason why he's selling. He doesn't want to deal with that anymore.

Darkpixie99Wolfsinger
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited May 24, 2019
    Well, it wasn't really a Disney bid or not bidding. That was all speculation by the media. What was true was the Kim went to Disney as his preferred choice of a buyer. He made an offer and Disney said no thanks. That was all.

Exactly, the press jumped, and everyone in business ran to the auction to either get a piece of information on the competition, or to compete.

I believe he got out of his tax evasion mess with no further issues. But the extremely rich tend to run into tax problems because they hardly do their own taxes and there's bound to be some trouble. Tax issues is the exact reason why he's selling. He doesn't want to deal with that anymore.

That disclaimer comes in handy when you're nothing but a common citizen.
    For all we know, the confidential issues could've been legal trouble or official consultation with a businesses tax legal expert.
    But for the benefit of the doubt, let's say that the money was easy to pay off.
    If there was the issue of remaining taxes, then the high tax value might also explain the lowball bids.
    Especially more so if your country's money is of different value, and the tax value fluctuates for the acquisition as well.

*Edit*
    "According to the investment banking industry on Thursday, Deutsche Bank & Morgan Stanley, the controlling shareholder of Nexon, announced that it would postpone its bid for the 15th day of the nomination to Nexon as a qualified candidate for short selling."
    "The reason for the delay was that some of the candidates asked Nexon to delay the main bidding schedule, and it was reported that the final decision was made on the timing of the trial by coordinating with the candidate."

I done been dumb to speculate, here's the 5/14th delay to 5/24 article.
    So my "whiners confirmed" theory still holds some thread...

tenor.gif

*Double Edit*

"Nexon extended to 31 days ... Encouraging Global Investor Engagement"

According to the article:
    "Nexon 's new master plan to find a new owner was extended to 31 days. To encourage the participation of global strategic investors.
    According to industry sources, Deutsche Securities New York and Morgan Stanley Menlo Park branches, Nexon's chief operating officer, have extended their agenda from April 24 to 31.
    Currently, prospective bidders who are willing to bid for bidding are domestic private fund MBK Partners, US-based Cole Burke Crevis Roberts (KKR) and domestic game companies Cacao and Net Marble.
    Nexon's sale will likely be prolonged as the main bidding is postponed several times. Nexon has already been postponed from 15th to 24th this month.*"
    (*)Press speculation (Not helpful)

Just sell it already... yeesh. Wait, that says April. Where's May? (Typo? Google Translate error?)

KensamaofmariWolfsinger
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited May 31, 2019
    Totally don't mean to double comment, but...

2019053001003305500188971.jpg
    SINo ALICE (Collaboration: Nexon x Square Enix and Pokarabo)

Sino Alice' in Japan for the first time ... Nexon "localization cardiovascular"
    Article
    *Google Translated
    NEXON held a media showcase of its new mobile game "Sino Alice" developed by Japanese famous developer Square Enix (representative Matsuda Yosuke and Matsuda Hirosuke) and Pokarabo (representative Maeda Utah, Yuki Maeda, 100% subsidiary) Global launch schedule and service plan.

20190530001842518_3.jpg
    Nexon Song Ho-jun, vice-chairman of the Mobile Business Division, said, "On July 18, Sino Alice will be offered in six languages ​​including Korean, English and German in domestic and global (excluding Japan, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macao) It plans to promote the global hit "Near: Automata" and collaboration update produced by Otaroo director.

Article Of Release Date
    *Google Translated
    NEXON will launch its new mobile game "SINO ALICE," developed by Japanese famous developer Square Enix and Pokarabo, on July 18th.
    Nexon unveiled its schedule and service plan at the Cino Alice showcase at the Four Seasons Hotel in Gwanghwamun, Seoul on July 30.
    Sino Alice is Dark Fantasy RPG, a reinterpretation of the story of a variety of fairy tale heroes across the East and the West with Yoko Otaro's unique world view and unique sensibility. Previously launched in Japan, Sino Alice has won the first place in the Japanese Apple AppStore's top sales with attractive illustrations and a high-quality story, and has accumulated over 4 million cumulative users, maintaining popularity in the market.
    In this event, Taro Yoko, creative director of Shojo Maeda's producer, Shoeo Alice's developer Poe Kerabo, came onstage to introduce the direct development philosophy and game.
    Nexon Park Jae-min, director of mobile business, said, "I tried to approach Sino Alice as one of the high-quality works, and I sincerely tried to approach them more seriously than anyone else." "Unique sense of the original work, from the original world view, the elaborate character illustrations, I have prepared so that I can feel it fully.

Netmarble, 1Q earnings slump ... 2Q11 released game performance attention
    Article
    Google Translated:
    Expectations for games released in the second quarter are not very high. Kim said, "Even if the results show up, it is not easy to raise the operating profit margin which is lowered." "BTS World is a purple game, so it has a low profit margin."
    In addition, he added, "Seven Knights 2, A3: Still Alive, Stone A M, and other performances can improve the profit margin."
    The Nexon merger and acquisition (M & A) issue is also noteworthy. Kim said, "Participation in the Nexon bid is an important event to expand its growth potential." As expectations for this are reflected in the share price, the delay in the issuance of bonds could be a burden on the share price.

Nexon, classic classic IP · New IP-based game to target market in 2H
    Article
    *Google Translated
    Nexon launched the 'Spirit Wishes' and 'Lynn: The Light Bringer', 'Crazy Arcade BnB M' and 'Traha' in the beginning of the year and led the market with a competitive new season in the second half of the year We are going to do it.
    According to Nexon on the 26th, the company will pursue the market in the second half with a solid lineup of iconic classic classic IP-based games, high-quality publishing new IP, and mobile games with uniquely personalized features.

2019052401002633500151374.jpg
    Mabinogi Mobile
    2019052401002633500151371.jpg
    Country Of The Wind: Yan
    2019052401002633500151372.jpg
    Counter-side
    2019052401002633500151373.jpg
    Dave The Diver
    (Collaboration: Nexon x National Geographic)

Understandable is Nexon ends up not letting go.
    Wolfsinger
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited June 3, 2019
    Understandable is Nexon ends up not letting go.
    Hey, if you can still make bank while other companies cry about being blind to the fact that you have a cash cow, several even (in the right hands), then that's fine and dandy.

Nexon bidding fails to draw Tencent and other major foreign companies
    Article

*Google Translated
    SEOUL -- China's Tencent and other major foreign companies have not joined a race to acquire Nexon, clouding prospects for the early sale of the South Korean game developer and publisher of Dungeon Fighter Online (DF), a popular multiplayer PC video game.
    According to investment banks, bidding managers finished accepting bids on May 31. the main bidding schedule has been delayed twice in an attempt to attract major foreign investors such as Tencent, Amazon, Disney and Comcast, an American telecom conglomerate.
    Final bids were just sent by five candidates including South Korea's leading game publisher Netmarble, and Kakao, a major web service company, and three private equity funds -- Bain Capital based in Boston, KKR headquartered in New York and MBK Partners based in Seoul.
    Tencent distributes "Dungeon & Fighter" in China. More than 60 percent of Nexon's sales come from China.
    "It was already certain that foreign companies would not participate in the main bidding process," a game company official said. "The acquisition price, which is more than 10 trillion won ($8.43 billion) compared to two trillion won in annual sales, is too much. It is unlikely that the sale will be completed by the end of this year under the current circumstances."
    Netmarble has been aggressive, describing Nexon's intangible and tangible value as South Korea's crucial asset. Netmarble has expressed concern that foreign ownership may damage the ecosystem of South Korea's game industry and weaken its competitiveness.
    For Netmarble, Nexon is a big prey that can not be missed because it could become an indomitable player in the domestic game market. There has been a general consensus in South Korea's game industry that Nexon's intellectual properties should not be snatched by foreign companies, but both Netmarble and Kakao probably need a partner loaded with cash because their spare money is not sufficient to absorb Nexon.
    In 2018, Nexon's operating income rose nine percent on-year to 980.6 billion won and sales were up eight percent to 2.52 trillion won. There are low expectations on its performance this year due to growing uncertainties such as a U.S.-China trade war.*Again, press speculation.

*cough*
    Thanks, blondie.
    So much for competition on the modern market.
    tenor.gif?itemid=12255931
    One would also think the current trade disputes has a negative effect on the sale.
    WolfsingerDarkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited June 3, 2019
    One would also think the current trade disputes has a negative effect on the sale.

One would think, but business is business. It don't stop for no one but the law and lady luck's tempting kiss of gambling for profitability.
    (Unless China somehow manages to prove that trade war dissuasion theory true through some old red rules of whatever, or by not trying to go the roundabout way to sell stuff.)
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    I am SO glad China didn't get their hands on Nexon. *praise Nao*
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited June 8, 2019
    I am SO glad China didn't get their hands on Nexon. *praise Nao*
    I have yet to find an official KR article that suggests or confirms any auction winners.

Btw, found another article on that whole will they/won't they China debacle.
    (KR's press is not easy on China either, business can be so harsh these days.)
    Nobody knows why Tencent did not take part in the bid. However, as Tencent is the second-largest shareholder of Kakao and the third largest shareholder of Netmarble, it can indirectly influence Nexon's important management agenda if either of the two companies becomes the owner of the gaming group. *Press speculation

Upon closer inspection, I found words of concern in this article. I can't help but wonder if this means that KR/JP might be attempting more "safer" game design.
    The World Health Organization's recent move to officially recognize "gaming addiction" as a mental health disorder has clouded the long-term outlook for growth among game companies.

Here's an article that came a day later to discuss that topic. What this means... I don't exactly know.
    The WHO in May unanimously agreed to define excessive gaming as an official disorder, where a person loses control over other aspects of life as a result of devoting too much time and attention to playing games for at least a year.
    The local game industry has since stood up and strongly questioned the scientific basis for pathologizing games.
    In Korea, relevant codes and legal guidelines reflecting the WHO decision are expected to take effect in 2026.

The possibility of adding more loot drops as common as candy? I really have no idea what this means.

Little off topic, but Netmarble (who apparently decided to participate in the final bid) claims to be releasing the BTS game soundtrack before release of the game. Article
    If you like them, make sure to ask Nexon in the feedback section if a collaboration event/event exclusive soundtracks would be possible sometime after the next music update.
    If not, then stalk Itunes. Maybe you'll get lucky and find Nexon copyrighted Mabinogi soundtracks on there too.
    (Honestly, if Netmarble promotes Kpop, then just how bad could they be for KR?)
    The WHO is a bunch if idiotic bureaucrats who have no idea on what health issues really are.
    Darkpixie99Liberate
    With the final bids processed 2 weeks ago, I wonder if Nexon will separate from NXC Corp post sale. Companies have been known to split if certain activities/events disrupt their interests.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited June 10, 2019
    With the final bids processed 2 weeks ago, I wonder if Nexon will separate from NXC Corp post sale. Companies have been known to split if certain activities/events disrupt their interests.

I wouldn't be so quick to panic. Nexon's name is a reputation, and reputations are often worth more overseas than the profit value.
    In some likelihood, I presume this could end up like how Disney's acquisitions simply became child companies. (More or less.)
    (Where all copyright still remained bound to the original company, but is also shares in turn a large portion of Disney's copyright.)
    It provides less paperwork for things like name dropping, and I would presume it to be more cost effective that way.

Current Relations

*Edit

Nexon Computer Museum to Hold the Fourth VR Open Call
    Article
    There is no limitation in platform, genre, or theme if it is an XR content, and anyone can apply regardless of their nationality, age, gender, or field experience. If there are a demonstration video and a playable build file that explicitly shows the core intent of the work, projects still under development are also received. Applications will be received from July 1st until August 31st, and the winners will be announced on October 25th. The total amount of prize money is KRW 13 million. The winner for the most innovative content will receive KRW 5 million, while the winners for the best and the excellence in the categories of VR and AR will receive KRW 3 million and KRW 1 million respectively.
    The winning team will be given the opportunity to become next year’s NCM Accelerator through further screening. NCM Accelerator is Nexon Computer Museum’s annual sponsorship program that supports potential creators continue their work in a stable environment. 8 teams that have been selected as the Accelerator for the past two years have received over KRW 100 million in total. iNK STORIES, last year’s NCM OPEN CALL winner, will receive about KRW 20 million worth of support in 2019.
  • PrinniPrinni
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,825
    edited June 11, 2019
    Little off topic, but Netmarble (who apparently decided to participate in the final bid) claims to be releasing the BTS game soundtrack before release of the game. Article
    If you like them, make sure to ask Nexon in the feedback section if a collaboration event/event exclusive soundtracks would be possible sometime after the next music update.
    If not, then stalk Itunes. Maybe you'll get lucky and find Nexon copyrighted Mabinogi soundtracks on there too.
    (Honestly, if Netmarble promotes Kpop, then just how bad could they be for KR?)

I remember hearing before that the CEO of BigHit Ent. (BTS' company) and the CEO of Netmarble are in fact, cousins. One is called "legendary self-made man in the game industry" and the other of the music industry. (Seems sense or genius runs in the family.) You happen to own a music company that houses one of the most famous boy groups in the world and your cousin happens to own one of the biggest gaming companies in S. Korea. Collaboration between the two, it benefits both parties so why wouldn't they? As of now I think Netmarble is now the 2nd biggest shareholder in BigHit. Aside from that when I was in Korea last year I remember that every 5-10mins a Netmarble game commercial would show on tv (at least it felt like it), and the subway was filled with still more Netmarble ads. I don't have anything (personally) to judge on how they actually function as a company, but I'm hoping that their status actually means something and that it's not just advertising. (I also kind of want to believe in the sense the Bang family might have that allowed them to get this far.) Furthermore I hope that IF they get their hands on Nexon, that the PC games will also thrive and not just the mobile games.

Though I said that, overall I'm not rooting for anyone specific, I just hope for Nexon to go to a good home (whoever it is but I kind of hope not Disney ) and for the games I like to thrive and survive.
    Darkpixie99
    It is important that the bid is to acquire NXC (Nexon Corporation Holdings) the parent company of Nexon.
    It is possible that these branch offs could split from NXC. But we will see what happens.