Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Re-use Deleted character names

VasumatiVasumati
Mabinogi Rep: 1,375
in General Chat
Is it possible?? all I was able to find was a few steam and reddit threads with the same questions, with both yes and no answered... so indescisive.

Can a deleted character's name be re-used once it is completely deleted??

Comments

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Yes but it takes a day or so.

DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of its affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    edited May 22, 2019
    Yeah definitely a risky way to save a name but not a lot else you can really do since I doubt name changes will come out on the day of merge. I know I tested an alt a long time ago where I deleted it and tried to make a character with the name. I couldn't for a day or two and couldn't figure out if the name was just sniped or permanently unavailable.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    /************************************************************\
    *·DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of··*
    *·Nexon or any of its affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is······*
    *·ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of its affiliates or partners·····*
    *·has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them···*
    *·as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.··········*
    \************************************************************/
    Vasumati wrote: »
    Is it possible?? all I was able to find was a few steam and reddit threads with the same questions, with both yes and no answered... so indescisive.

Can a deleted character's name be re-used once it is completely deleted??

I don't see why not. It takes a few days for the character to be deleted once you make the request. I've done it but the replacement character, that I made, had a slightly different name, so, I can't say for sure. The thing to keep in mind is that if your name is a popular one say, onepunchman then there may be a race to get it. Bare in mind this can only happen if there is already a duplicate character on another server, at this time, with the same name, that would then force "onepunchman" into availability. If there isn't then you're good to go and won't need to race for the name.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited May 23, 2019
    Vasumati wrote: »
    Alright. it's been an hour since deletion. I can now confirm it works, playing on the new character again. w00t!

Ok that's good we have more confirmation. So basically I snag the names I want, delete the characters, wait 24 hours. Then those characters will be prepped for complete deletion. I just have to choose a time where I can be vigilant for an hour or so.

This will have to be done at a undisclosed time. I think within that 24 hour period is when I should be deleting everyone. lol.

DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of its affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of its affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited May 22, 2019
    *·Nexon or any of its affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is······*
    *·ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of its affiliates or partners·····*
    Gaea wrote: »
    Honestly there has GOT TO BE A BETTER SOLUTION TO THIS. C'mon Nexon, this is bs. I should be able to send in a ticket and get my name switched over without any risk.

First they could add a last name field. How it would work is that your first name (which is the one displayed) can be anything you want, except of course say, firetruck with some letters missing. Your last name can also be anything you want provided that the first and last name combination is unique. If not then you'd have to twiddle with your last name as you do with your name now when it is already taken. After that they have an event, with free name change coupons, or some such thing, and Roberto is your tío.
    Akkedo
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Helsa wrote: »
    Honestly there has GOT TO BE A BETTER SOLUTION TO THIS. C'mon Nexon, this is bs. I should be able to send in a ticket and get my name switched over without any risk.

First they could add a last name field. How it would work is that your first name (which is the one displayed) can be anything you want, except of course say, firetruck with some letters missing. Your last name can also be anything you want provided that the first and last name combination is unique. If not then you'd have to twiddle with your last name as you do with your name now when it is already taken. After that they have an event, with free name change coupons, or some such thing, and Roberto is your tío.

I don't want a last name. I want a sexy short ign without an appendage.

DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited May 22, 2019
    Helsa wrote: »
    I don't want a last name. I want a sexy short ign without an appendage.

DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of it's affiliates or partners has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.

Only the first name would actually be displayed so the look would be the same, but this way you could name all your characters, pets, and partners Gaea, for example. So then you can still be sexy without an appendage (your words) cough cough! :)
  • VivianVivian
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,030
    What if the name you've saved as an alt... is taken on another O3 server?
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited May 23, 2019

Vivian wrote: »
    What if the name you've saved as an alt... is taken on another O3 server?

If the name of a character, pet, partner, or homestead is used on another server then the former server of residence name, apparently preceded with a plus sign, will be appended to the name in order to keep it unique. If the name is copied on Alexina though, then I don't know. I'm guessing it would still be considered unique, but I can't say for sure. If, say, the name of your dragon is the same as the name of a homestead on another server, I think it might be okay, but again I'm not sure. Whether the names of characters, pets, and partners are all in the same boat together, I also don't know.
  • VasumatiVasumati
    Thankfully my name is unique, no one has ever used it; ever. (I'm not talking about Vasumati, though nobody ever uses that either). I deleted the character. Now it's jsut a waiting game. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
  • VasumatiVasumati
    Forgot to mention, the reason I went through with it is because I managed to find this :
    http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/4252/deleting-a-character

according to this guy it's very well possible. Worst comes to worse I can use the old uppercase I to look like an l trick, though I really wanted the L to be capitol.
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    Imagine trying to add a player named, "IlIlIlIlIllllI" in game.
  • VasumatiVasumati
    Alright. it's been an hour since deletion. I can now confirm it works, playing on the new character again. w00t!
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Pan wrote: »

Something inside me died looking at that XD
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited May 23, 2019

Don't forget to use some lower case ells, zeros with capital ohs & capital dees & capital ques, capital bee with eights, capital ay with fours, capital ess with fives, capital zee with twos, and lower case gee with nines. You can use r followed by n instead of m, like in harnsandwich. My stars the possibilities! Oh wait, were not talking about vanity license plates! Don't numbers have to go on the end and Capitals have to go at the front. That name request may not make it past the parser.
  • FerynnFerynn
    Mabinogi Rep: 410

I actually remember their being a character with a name like that on Mari back in the G1-3 days.