Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

[UPDATE] Server Merge FAQ 2

Comments

• ErikaErika
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,420
    Katherz wrote: »
    Marriage Information:

During testing, we found details that were not reflected in the Marriage Info after a character's name is changed. If your character's name is changed, the new name will not be reflected on the Marriage Info or Marriage Title. Additionally, due to the nature of the system and the Wedding Ring item, all Wedding Ring items cannot be merged and must be removed. Though the ring will be removed, please be assured that this will not break the character or the character’s marriage status. Should you wish to divorce and re-marry, it may be necessary to perform a ‘Forced Divorce’ option through both spouses first. We sincerely apologize for these inconveniences.

I'd like some clarification on this, please.

1. Does the removal of Wedding Rings affect EVERYONE, or just those whose names have been changed?
    2. As many of us have reforged our Wedding Rings, will there be any way to restore the Wedding Ring after the merger? Or will there be any sort of compensation for the money spent on reforges for the Wedding Ring?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    I assume items in mailboxes will also remain there?

That is an interesting question!
    kinsuya wrote: »
    "Along with this, we are working on ways to mitigate any 'name-stealing'."

I am very interested in how Nexon will do this.
    As it is right now, names are still a free-for-all.

This would do it. It would also remove all these name issues for a future merge.
    Gaea wrote: »
    @Helsa You know it's not going to end on the day that it starts. lol. XD

I strongly suspect that but the language used is the language used and has produced an ambiguity, this is why I've requested the clarification.
  • LenariLenari
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,820
    edited May 30, 2019
    I wanted to keep a clear mind regarding the merge until after it happened, but I can't anymore. These FAQs offer a lot of inconveniences that absolutely aren't outweighing the benefits of a server merge. I'm sorry. As a player who warmed up to the idea of a merge, I can't agree after reading through these notes and changes.

If someone is given a name because of a duplicate, you are asking them to sacrifice what makes that player "them" if they go through a name change. "+Server" is such an impersonal tag to impose on player names, and that change has me struggling with the thought of going through the process. Either way, you are forcing your players to lose something. They are stuck with a systematic name for themselves or change, then they must decide if they want mismatching titles/equipment, or to disband/start over with marriages and family.

The topic of a server merge needs to be tabled until there's a better way to facilitate this. I apologise if I'm not very eloquent with my reasoning, but reading through this is mind boggling.
    Greta
  • TimefallTimefall
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,505
    So, I was around back when Commerce was first added, and was one of the first ones online after the server came up. Default commerce prices are INSANELY high. After a day or two of people commercing, they drop all the way down to what we're familiar with. Anyone planning to obsessively wait for merge to finish should check commerce prices upon logging in to see what they look like before a swarm of traders get to them. ^_^
  • YuuzuruYuuzuru
    Mabinogi Rep: 840
    edited May 30, 2019
    A name change request will be cancelled if a character is under any of the conditions below:
    • If a character has a Seal Breaker Title.*Does not affect the G1 title, 'the Seal-Breaker of Another World'.

Clarification needed.

Do you mean owning a Seal Stone Breaker title (not equipped) or actually having it equipped.
    Because one disqualifies you from the process altogether, the other does not.

Also, does it matter if you were a pre-merge Seal Breaker or not? (Since your name will no longer be on post-merge stones).
    Darkpixie99
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Timefall wrote: »
    So, I was around back when Commerce was first added, and was one of the first ones online after the server came up. Default commerce prices are INSANELY high. After a day or two of people commercing, they drop all the way down to what we're familiar with. Anyone planning to obsessively wait for merge to finish should check commerce prices upon logging in to see what they look like before a swarm of traders get to them. ^_^

That was because bots broke the system back then.
  • RuinitiveRuinitive
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,180
    Hoping with the name changes you're approving the first bit, you should give name changes to people who get their names changed and let them be able to reclaim the names they lost, if 2 or more people request then give it to the more active/oldest person. It'll prevent name sniping and give people who are active the first claim. I know a lot of my friends are already getting annoyed by the name change and one is considering just quitting all together if they lose their name. Also with wedding rings I hope you can restore reforges to people since I know a lot of people have those reforged. You should postpone the merge if you can't figure out a good way for the names because that is what is important to people in this game. Names are like identities and people losing it to pets/inactive players is a stupid way to go about it. I love the idea of a merge, but I'd rather wait then have people lose their names.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited May 30, 2019
    So I technically wasn't incorrect on divorcing before the merge, then.
    It seems like something you'd end up doing anyways, considering you'd both likely want to take the opportunity for a chance at better/different names after the merge.
    I would presume the reason behind the Seal Breaker name change decline would be if the system either can't or doesn't recognize the change, and doesn't reflect it either. (Wait until next maintenance for Seal reset?) Seems like a lot of bug fixes are indeed in the works there.
    Though it's a pity that those who might've reforged their rings/meet cute bracelets will lose those extra stats along with them.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Lenari wrote: »
    I wanted to keep a clear mind regarding the merge until after it happened, but I can't anymore. These FAQs offer a lot of inconveniences that absolutely aren't outweighing the benefits of a server merge. I'm sorry. As a player who warmed up to the idea of a merge, I can't agree after reading through these notes and changes.

If someone is given a name because of a duplicate, you are asking them to sacrifice what makes that player "them" if they go through a name change. "+Server" is such an impersonal tag to impose on player names, and that change has me struggling with the thought of going through the process. Either way, you are forcing your players to lose something. They are stuck with a systematic name for themselves or change, then they must decide if they want mismatching titles/equipment, or to disband/start over with marriages and family.

The topic of a server merge needs to be tabled until there's a better way to facilitate this. I apologise if I'm not very eloquent with my reasoning, but reading through this is mind boggling.

Apparently overseas servers have 20 channels, so a full merge is possible. I have been saying all along that the name issues are where the problems are going to be. If they announced delaying the merge, implementing my idea for allowing name repetition, then did a full merge into a >7 channel server, I would be okay with that, as it would be a full merge and these name problems would go away.
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    edited May 30, 2019
    Helsa wrote: »

To be 100% fair. I am not and do not pretend to be a GM. I can't with absolute certainly guarantee that you don't have to log onto every pet for their names to not be changed but I can say that they mentioned "inactive accounts" before and that they said the inactive pet names aren't being changed right now so it's not a present issue.

Again, don't know but I assume that June 3rd finish-time is what she was going for. If you don't even know the date (which neither of us really do), how can you correct someones grammar? Then again, how can I defend their grammar if I don't know either I guess. It just seems petty.

I understand you were joking, I wasn't trying to make it seem like I took you seriously and I wasn't trying to bother you with my response. I just had a feeling you weren't the only person who was thinking "can we put the 'new' tag on alexina: 'make alexina new again'" or something (and that someone else might actually be serious about it).

I assume you're joking or baiting but in case you're not, I believe KR servers have more than 7 channels per server so it's possible. I believe EU servers had 5 channels? So variable channel options are possible, we've just stuck with 7 channels for whatever reason. Another one or two might be nice but we'll see how crowded it gets.

Again, your ratings won't be reset. Hurrah! They said your commerce standings, currency, etc. won't be reset. Just global prices (as mentioned elsewhere in the thread). Which could be a minor problem until it sorts itself out.

Yes they said mailbox contents will be merged so that's what this means. If something is merged, that (generally) indicates it's being 'transferred' or 'saved.' Some exceptions would be like the dressing room which is technically 'merging' but kicking some of the items out into the point inventory system which was mentioned.
    Yuuzuru wrote: »

Clarification needed.

Do you mean owning a Seal Stone Breaker title (not equipped) or actually having it equipped.

Also, does it matter if you were a pre-merge Seal Breaker or not? (Since your name will no longer be on post-merge stones).

If you are a seal stone breaker for a seal stone in the Nao server (not ruairi, tarlach, or mari) then you cannot change your name- just by owning the title and more specifically by having your name on the stone (that's the actual problem). Pre-merge seal breakers can change their names as they aren't tied down to a stone. My guess: they can't update the stone names (I assume) due to database inconsistencies and this could cause identity problems later on and therefore the easiest solution is to not offer name changes.

On another note. I was instructed to submit a ticket to be compensated for enchants/reforges on my meet-cute bracelet after the merge (which they mentioned will be wiped just like the wedding rings). I suggest everyone with a reforged wedding ring or meet-cute take a screenshot and be ready to submit a ticket post-merge for compensation.

@Helsa what was your name suggestion? The mabinogi database can only do so much mind you. You can't have two people with the same name. You can't have spaces in your name. You can't use certain symbols in your name. So "Maia of Ruairi" wouldn't work. "Maia" and "Maia" with cute little Ruairi and Mari icons wouldn't work. Honestly there isn't much they can do about the name issue but I don't know your suggestion and I am curious to see what you had in mind.

My guess is we'll see a Nao+Alexina lovemerge in a few years. Maybe sooner. Alexina players have very vocally voiced that they want to be included
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    edited May 30, 2019
    Rather than be fearful, I'm just going to accept and embrace the chaos. It'll be less stress on my mind if I do so.

r0DMsIY.gif
    Server Nao after the merge, circa June 2019. (colorized, dramatized)
  • KatherzKatherz
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,640
    edited May 30, 2019

Yes
    How does a pet qualify as "active"? Does the pet have to be actively logged into/summoned, or does the player simply need to log into their account?

This is no longer relevant as we are postponing cleaning up inactive pet names to another time.
    [*] Leasing a Shop Marketplace option will be disabled until June 3rd.

I assume you accidentally misspoke here as this would imply the merge is planned to be completed on June 3rd. Perhaps you meant "once the merge is complete"?

Q: Will the Commerce contents be reset with the merge?
    A: A character's Commerce Merchant Rating will not be reset. However, the specific town's Commerce Trading Board Information will be reset.

Would taking a screen shot of them to have them manually reset via the ticketing system be a possibility?

1. Yes the clarification would be until the end of the server merge maintenance
    2. No

Erika wrote: »

1. Does the removal of Wedding Rings affect EVERYONE, or just those whose names have been changed?
    2. As many of us have reforged our Wedding Rings, will there be any way to restore the Wedding Ring after the merger? Or will there be any sort of compensation for the money spent on reforges for the Wedding Ring?

1. Yes it will affect everyone except Alexina players.
    2. We are still looking into this issue.
    Yuuzuru wrote: »

Clarification needed.

This applies to current seal stone breakers. So, in other words, the new ones that break the stones after the merge.

Kensamaofmari
  • KatherzKatherz
    Mabinogi Rep: 21,640
    edited May 30, 2019
    [UPDATE 8:30pm PDT, May 30, 2019]:

Hello Milletians,

As noted previously, we are working on bringing the Name Change Coupon system as soon as possible. As this is the case, in order to create a fair environment for players who may have their names changed during the merge due to duplicated character names, we have blocked these original names for now, so that no new characters or pets can be created in-game using these names after the merge. Further updates on the release of the free name change option, and the sale of the Name Change Coupon will be announced as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding, Milletians and keep an eye out for further updates.

- The Mabinogi Team
    Darkpixie99KensamaofmariKitini
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited May 30, 2019
    deleted
  • HelsaHelsa
    [*] Leasing a Shop Marketplace option will be disabled until June 3rd.

I assume you accidentally misspoke here as this would imply the merge is planned to be completed on June 3rd. Perhaps you meant "once the merge is complete"?
    Q: Will the Commerce contents be reset with the merge?
    A: A character's Commerce Merchant Rating will not be reset. However, the specific town's Commerce Trading Board Information will be reset.

Would taking a screen shot of them to have them manually reset via the ticketing system be a possibility?

1. Yes the clarification would be until the end of the server merge maintenance
    2. No

1. Okay, that's what I figured. Thanks and good luck!
    2. Ah bummer, oh well.
    [UPDATE 8:30pm PDT, May 30, 2019]:

Hello Milletians,

As noted previously, we are working on bringing the Name Change Coupon system as soon as possible. As this is the case, in order to create a fair environment for players who may have their names changed during the merge due to duplicated character names, we have blocked these original names for now, so that no new characters or pets can be created in-game using these names after the merge. Further updates on the release of the free name change option, and the sale of the Name Change Coupon will be announced as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding, Milletians and keep an eye out for further updates.

- The Mabinogi Team

Just a reminder, all these naming issues should only effect those folks with duplicate names on multiple servers. If your name is unique the merge should probably be issue free-ish. There is potential for those folks with duplicate names to experience disappointment in the short term, of course, but any issue can be addressed in the longer term with further development. Future versions can be developed to allow for unlimited duplicate names, should we all demand it hard enough. To make it happen is just work. Having this capability will address pretty much all the issues.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited May 30, 2019
    Maia wrote: »
    @Helsa what was your name suggestion? The mabinogi database can only do so much mind you. You can't have two people with the same name. You can't have spaces in your name. You can't use certain symbols in your name. So "Maia of Ruairi" wouldn't work. "Maia" and "Maia" with cute little Ruairi and Mari icons wouldn't work. Honestly there isn't much they can do about the name issue but I don't know your suggestion and I am curious to see what you had in mind.
    My guess is we'll see a Nao+Alexina lovemerge in a few years. Maybe sooner. Alexina players have very vocally voiced that they want to be included

Sorry I just noticed this now. And sorry if it wasn't clear in the suggestion thread. I'm suggesting adding an extra field to the character record. This field would contain a system generated number, unique across all servers. This field would be used to make each character record unique. Right now their name field combined with server of residence field is performing this function and this is why all the issues are happening. By shifting to using this "ID" field, the name field, essentially, becomes fluff and so is free to be duplicated by many users; so EVERYONE can be Kitsune if they want, for example. Since the name can be duplicated, it wouldn't need to undergo the +server kludge to make it unique again. The +server kludge is what is creating all the problems.

Or if you mean when there is one server what do I suggest? Well, Helsa of course, if not then how about Erinn.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890

Sorry I just noticed this now. And sorry if it wasn't clear in the suggestion thread. I'm suggesting adding an extra field to the character record. This field would contain a system generated number, unique across all servers. This field would be used to make each character record unique. Right now their name field combined with server of residence field is performing this function and this is why all the issues are happening. By shifting to using this "ID" field, the name field, essentially, becomes fluff and so is free to be duplicated by many users; so EVERYONE can be Kitsune if they want, for example. Since the name can be duplicated, it wouldn't need to undergo the +server kludge to make it unique again. The +server kludge is what is creating all the problems.

What kind of system-generated number is that? A four-digit number like the kind used by Discord/Nexon tags? Would it be visible to other players? (I know some people would be angry if they had to have a number tag in-game too)

How would this work for players interacting with players? If there are 2000 Kitsunes on the server, how do I mail a specific Kitsune a stack of dead bees? I'd definitely have to know their ID number to type the correct recipient into the mailbox, which means if I have multiple friends with the same name I'd have to remember people's numbers to differentiate them, which... personally, I can't do, tbh. I'm terrible at remembering numbers.
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    Most games have randomized numbers or your original name+numbers to identify ID's kind of like Helsa suggested. While I absolutely agree with this suggestion, as it's pretty much a SOP at this point in the gaming industry there are still some problems with it which might be hard to overcome. For instance, it would require developers which were familiar enough with the database to make this change- which means probably KR involvement, which is hard to get. Otherwise NA devs could end up botching it and making it worse. Additionally, with identical in-game names but different ID's it would be difficult to distinguish who we are mailing items to or sending notes to. There also comes the issue of 'player reputation' which can be trolled by people using the same name as someone else. I can't see identical names becoming a thing in Mabinogi unfortunately.
    Crimsọn
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    You can temporarily block users from taking the name but that doesn’t stop the fact there will be people waiting when they block is over. Either way, they are losing their names.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Pan wrote: »
    You can temporarily block users from taking the name but that doesn’t stop the fact there will be people waiting when they block is over. Either way, they are losing their names.

Oh people like you? I did warn you about that. :|