Check out the patch notes for the September 10th update, Campfire Spirit: https://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/23685
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why does Divine Tribolt Feel So Useless

OwntrolfOwntrolf
Mabinogi Rep: 1,640
Posts: 120
Member
in General Chat
Sure it can cast int magic but thats nothing when you already have a staff equipped for lightning rod?

Divine Tribolt is literally a gimped Celtic Tribolt with less dura/MA

Divine Tribolt literally has little to no use compared to the much cheaper Celtic Tribolt


Assuming the cost to craft a:
Divine Tribolt is aprox 120m
Celtic Tribolt is aprox 1.5m

They do nearly the same job if you also use a staff(of course you would as a mage)
What is the purpose of even using a Divine Tribolt other than for showing off your money
  1. Is Divine Tribolt Worth the Cost41 votes
    1. Yes
       27% (11 votes)
    2. No
       73% (30 votes)

Comments

  • SnormieSnormie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,190
    Posts: 44
    Member
    edited May 25, 2019
    Well you gotta understand.. Its a situational weapon.
    Every weapon is going to be situational, especially magic.

    While for the most part you're correct.
    However...

    You have to build the wand correctly and understand how to use it with the right situations.
    What I did, was I built my wand with +4 CC, and then I reforged it and got +19 Casting speed.
    So basically, I can spam bolt spells insanely fast, and as well as all Int spells charge real fast as well.

    So how do I use it?
    I use firebolt for the dmg and knockdown on certain mobs.
    Lightning bolt on trash mobs to clear them out fast.
    Ice spear to control Aggro
    Thunder to break through Protection(don't use thunder that much with this wand)
    And fireball for the big aoe when mobs are spread around.

    The wand isn't meant to specialize in one thing, its more like how do you say.. "hoe" wand.. It does a little of everything.

    "But I could just use a tribolt wand and a staff"
    Correct, but then you are using 2 slots up or have change weapons often, and then have to spend more money on making 2 weapons good instead of one.

    I look at the Divine trobolt wand to be like a hybrid weapon kinda like the Merlin Knuckles.

    Mage is very hard and complicated.
    It takes the most AP, and you literally have to manage/upgrade multiple weapons.

    I have a thunder/Lrod Staff
    I have a thunder wand
    I have a fireball wand.
    I have a Lightning B wand
    lol.. then of course my tribolt wand.
    Oh and my ego firewand.

    Sad thing is, I'm not even a mage main, and don't use it much.

    In the end... Its completely worth it as long as you get all the materials and such and make it your self.

    TL:DR:
    Its a situational wand that needs properly upgraded the correct way, but only if you get all the materials your self and don't waste money buying it. In the end, its worth it when done right, and used correctly.
    THICCthighssavelivesAlexisEUKitini
  • ChaosShadowChaosShadow
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,325
    Posts: 133
    Member
    edited June 2, 2019
    Edit: I only just noticed that this thread is like a week old. Whoops!

    Even if you ignore the costs required to make the two wands, the Divine Tribolt Wand is not worth the amount of time spent crafting it unless you're a player that frequently switches skillsets, and thus, requires the extra utility that the Divine Tribolt Wand provides. Even then, though, it's not that hard to quick swap weapons via control clicking in your inventory. I don't do it myself because my inventory is too much of a mess to be used that way, but I've watched a handful of elite players do it during their phantasm runs.

    If you want to get into the specifics of why it isn't worth it, I quickly threw something together in notepad after going through the wiki for everything. Emphasis on quickly, so don't expect quality. Expect redundancy. TL;DR at the bottom.

    I compared the Celtic and Divine Tribolt wands based on PURE magic attack upgrade paths, with Chain Casting upgrades applied of course. That means no casting speed upgrades and no Red Special Upgrades, which could probably make a notable difference, but I'm not that mathy and didn't want to go that deep when I barely understand how Mabinogi handles percentages anyways. I decided to throw in the Celtic Druid staff for comparison as well. Oh, and I'm also ignoring Erg for the sake of simplicity.

    Arcane Foretold Celtic Druid Staff Max MA

    Arcane +20
    Foretold +20
    Crafting Roll Max +12
    Elemental Condensation One +2
    Elemental Condensation One +2
    Elemental Condensation Two +3
    Elemental Condensation Three +5
    Celtic Druid Staff Unique Upgrade +7
    Gem Upgrade +3

    Total: 74 MA

    Applying step 6 Blue +84

    Total w/ Special: 158 MA

    Base Repair Cost (100% rate): 15,155 G for one point.

    Repair Cost (100% rate) w/ Arcane (-20% cost) applied: 12,124 G for one point

    Repair Cost (100% rate) w/ Foretold (x5 cost) applied: 75,775 G for one point

    Repair Cost (100% rate) w/ both enchants applied: 60,620 G for one point (?)


    Spiritual Truthful Celtic Tribolt Wand Max MA

    Spiritual +8
    Truthful +12
    Crafting Roll Max +30
    Elemental Condensation One +2
    Elemental Condensation One +2
    Elemental Condensation Two +3
    Trinity Amplification Four (No MA, but required for CC)
    Elemental Condensation Four +5
    Tribolt Wand Gem Upgrade +4

    Total: 66 MA

    Applying Step 6 Blue (Even though nobody would do that) +84

    Total w/ Special: 150 MA

    Base Repair Cost (100% rate): 3,689 G for one point.

    Repair Cost (100% rate) w/ Truthful (x2 Cost) applied: 7,378 G for one point.


    Spiritual Roaring Divine Tribolt Wand Max MA

    Spiritual +8
    Roaring +30
    Crafting Roll Max +15
    Elemental Condensation One +2
    Elemental Condensation One +2
    Elemental Condensation Two +3
    Trinity Amplification Four (No MA, but required for CC)
    Elemental Condensation Four +5
    Tribolt Wand Gem Upgrade +4

    Total: 69 MA

    Applying Step 6 Blue +84

    Total w/ Special: 153

    Base Repair Cost (100% rate): 7,071 G for one point.

    Repair Cost (100% rate) w/ Roaring (x10 Cost) applied: 70,710 G for one point.


    TL;DR: The Divine Tribolt is marginally better than the Celtic Tribolt Wand by a max of 3 Magic Attack, but it falls short of the Celtic Druid Staff by 5 Magic Attack. It also costs more to repair the Divine Tribolt Wand than both the Celtic Tribolt Wand and the Celtic Druid Staff paired together when all best possible Magic Attack enchants are applied, which includes Roaring for the Divine Tribolt Wand. Repairing one point at 100% on the Celtic Tribolt Wand and the Celtic Druid Staff with their best possible enchants applied should cost about 67,998 gold, while repairing one point at 100% on the Divine Tribolt Wand with Roaring on it would cost 70,710 gold.

    So, in the end, assuming that you somehow managed to get a max roll on the crafting roll (+6~15) and then a max roll on Roaring (+15~30), you would have a slightly better, more expensive Celtic Tribolt Wand that can cast Fireballs and Thunders that probably won't be doing as much damage as the player holding a staff next to you. And like you mentioned, that player with the staff also has access to Lightning Rod. That in of itself makes a staff worth more than the Divine Tribolt.

    Don't bother with a Divine Tribolt Wand unless you like the minimal amount of utility it could provide, OP. It's not worth it.
  • SnormieSnormie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,190
    Posts: 44
    Member

    Like I been saying.. People look at this wand the wrong way, literally looking at this wand from within the box to out, without seeing the whole big picture at once.
    This wand is more or less best of both worlds and more utility than power.

    This wand combines a CC wand + a Staff together, or made them have a baby together.

    It's not meant to have RAW power like the Celtic Tribolt.
    It's not meant to be a staff that can use ADV or int magic.

    It takes a little bit of both from each, and creates it's own unique thing.
    You're looking at this wand based on paper and it's power/MA level.

    Not trying to offend or argue. I am only explaining.

    This is a utility wand, creating this wand for the sole purpose of CC'ing is 100% completely wrong and a waste when a celtic tribolt does it way better.
    You literally want this wand to be a bread and butter wand, doing a little bit of everything/most things.
    You can do CC magic with Int level magic, while being able to have a shield-type or book(I don't recommend a book).
    A book is best with a tribolt wand or fire wand for firebolt spamming.

    When you say it provides little Utility that just really shows you never used one or if you have, then you completely used it wrong and or have no idea what you're talking about. I have the most utility with this wand over all my high-end-game wands/staffs. I can do 20 different things with this wand and a guard cylinder equipped and put out sooooo much CC(utility), and even damage with the reforges I have.
    Kitini
  • NemurikoAlexinaNemurikoAlexina
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,310
    Posts: 75
    Member
    Gotta agree with Snormie here, being able to use all int-magics with a 1-handed weapon is an amazing thing, solely because guard cylinder exists. Life Drain, Shock (RIP shock 2019), and sand burst are amazing assets to have access to if your fighting style emphasizes versatility.

    Now, if Mana Crystallization were remotely good, the wand would better be replaced by a blunt weapon or something, but alas, its ridiculously long cast time, lack of criticals, fixed damage ranges, and other flaws make it completely unfit for use. At least it's partially compatible with spellwalk.
  • RaishiiRaishii
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,225
    Posts: 319
    Member
    Snormie wrote: »

    Like I been saying.. People look at this wand the wrong way, literally looking at this wand from within the box to out, without seeing the whole big picture at once.
    This wand is more or less best of both worlds and more utility than power.

    This wand combines a CC wand + a Staff together, or made them have a baby together.

    It's not meant to have RAW power like the Celtic Tribolt.
    It's not meant to be a staff that can use ADV or int magic.

    It takes a little bit of both from each, and creates it's own unique thing.
    You're looking at this wand based on paper and it's power/MA level.

    Not trying to offend or argue. I am only explaining.

    This is a utility wand, creating this wand for the sole purpose of CC'ing is 100% completely wrong and a waste when a celtic tribolt does it way better.
    You literally want this wand to be a bread and butter wand, doing a little bit of everything/most things.
    You can do CC magic with Int level magic, while being able to have a shield-type or book(I don't recommend a book).
    A book is best with a tribolt wand or fire wand for firebolt spamming.

    When you say it provides little Utility that just really shows you never used one or if you have, then you completely used it wrong and or have no idea what you're talking about. I have the most utility with this wand over all my high-end-game wands/staffs. I can do 20 different things with this wand and a guard cylinder equipped and put out sooooo much CC(utility), and even damage with the reforges I have.

    Kinda just makes it sound like a high-end wand designed for low-end content.
    ChaosShadow
  • DARKCloudDARKCloud
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,040
    Posts: 39
    Member
    Gotta agree with Snormie here, being able to use all int-magics with a 1-handed weapon is an amazing thing, solely because guard cylinder exists. Life Drain, Shock (RIP shock 2019), and sand burst are amazing assets to have access to if your fighting style emphasizes versatility.

    Now, if Mana Crystallization were remotely good, the wand would better be replaced by a blunt weapon or something, but alas, its ridiculously long cast time, lack of criticals, fixed damage ranges, and other flaws make it completely unfit for use. At least it's partially compatible with spellwalk.

    Why RIP shock in 2019 btw? just cus better options?
  • LadameLadame
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,300
    Posts: 158
    Member
    DARKCloud wrote: »
    Gotta agree with Snormie here, being able to use all int-magics with a 1-handed weapon is an amazing thing, solely because guard cylinder exists. Life Drain, Shock (RIP shock 2019), and sand burst are amazing assets to have access to if your fighting style emphasizes versatility.

    Now, if Mana Crystallization were remotely good, the wand would better be replaced by a blunt weapon or something, but alas, its ridiculously long cast time, lack of criticals, fixed damage ranges, and other flaws make it completely unfit for use. At least it's partially compatible with spellwalk.

    Why RIP shock in 2019 btw? just cus better options?

    Just a guess on my part, but it may be because of the immunity the new content has to shock. Tech Duinn. :(
  • ChaosShadowChaosShadow
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,325
    Posts: 133
    Member
    Snormie wrote: »
    -snip-

    No, I haven't used one myself, I will admit that outright. Not to cause offense myself, but if you had read the beginning of my post, I said this:
    unless you're a player that frequently switches skillsets, and thus, requires the extra utility that the Divine Tribolt Wand provides. Even then, though, it's not that hard to quick swap weapons via control clicking in your inventory.

    Yes, I know I also said it provides a "minimal amount of utility" too, but I provided my feedback on the wand based on the perspective of a character who primarily, if not only uses magic skills while doing upgrades strictly based on magic attack, special upgrades included. If you pair it together with a guard cylinder, then I'd have to agree that doing so is what really makes the wand's utility shine... But at the same time, unless you are a player who really wants to have a spare weapon slot for a completely different weapon, you could do the exact same thing with a Celtic Tribolt Wand, a Guard Cylinder, and a Staff- Albeit maybe not as quickly. You also would have access to Lightning Rod to boot (And Meteor Strike/Hailstorm, I guess, if those even matter anymore).

    To be quite frank, if you're not upgrading the wand for pure magic attack, Chain Casting, and maybe a little dabble of casting speed if you need it, I don't know how else you would upgrade this wand. From my limited understanding, upgrading it for Chain Casting does not hurt its ability to cast intermediate magic, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong there. The only thing it loses out on is Fusion Bolt, and I don't see many mages using Fusion Bolt anymore to begin with.

    Furthermore, if you want to be technical...
    Snormie wrote: »
    creating this wand for the sole purpose of CC'ing is 100% completely wrong and a waste when a celtic tribolt does it way better.

    This is incorrect. If you apply the upgrades and enchants that I applied to each wand in my post above, even without the blue special upgrade, the Divine Tribolt Wand has 3 more magic attack than the Celtic Tribolt Wand. If you were to red upgrade both, the Divine Tribolt Wand would be slightly more efficient for CC+4 Firebolt. The intermediate magics damage might be lackluster by comparison though, and it would be more expensive to repair than the Celtic Tribolt Wand.

    Again, I don't mean to cause any offense, but you didn't really explain anything about what the wand's purpose as a utility wand is. NemurikoAlexina provided more specific information and still kept their post more concise than you did. You just repeated yourself in saying that it is a utility-based wand, said I was wrong and didn't really explain why, and then needlessly talked yourself up at the end. I'm glad the wand works for you, but the way I see it, I would rather be carrying a Celtic Tribolt Wand and a Celtic Druid Staff any day of the week over the Divine Tribolt Wand, and if I really need to use something other than my staff, it doesn't take more than two seconds to quick-swap it out for something more suitable to the combat situation.

    The wand's utility is only useful to players who feel like they really need to fulfill more than two roles at a time. If you consider the amount of effort or money that it takes to craft the wand, the two chances you have to make it stronger than a Celtic Tribolt Wand, the fact that it will cost more to repair than a Celtic Tribolt Wand and a Celtic Druid Staff paired together, and the complete lack of Lightning Rod... Sorry, it's just not worth it. If its threshold for Magic Attack was higher, or if the materials' drop rates weren't so painfully low, it would be worth it. But with NA's current population, it just isn't.
  • ConfusedturtleConfusedturtle
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    Post: 1
    Member
    Just to add my 2 cents here. I agree with Snormie, the wand is meant for utility. However, I got on here to make a much simpler point - people can play literally however they want.

    The mats cost a lot, however squires are free and literally can be done while doing anything, running anything, being afk or even being offline. Attempting to insult players who have it by saying they are "showing off their money" is really unnecessary and childish. Quite frankly, even if that wand or its mats were bought out-right, who gives a flying hoot? This is literally a game where players are free to do what they want, have what they want, use their money as they want, etc.

    I understand ChaosShadow's points in explaining statistics perhaps for a curious player who can then make the decision if investing in another weapon may be what they prefer - and this is totally fine. However, I vehemently disagree with the blatant insulting of players who DID decide to make the wand.

    I have had my wand for over two years now. My squires are leveled and I do them every day I am on. I use magic because that is what I LIKE. I have a good Celtic Tribolt, a good staff, and nearly every other type of wand upgraded somewhere just because I can and it is what I like to do. I very greatly enjoy being able to spam firebolt and chaincast thunder without any delay during the initial stun. I love my wand very dearly and get a lot of joy out of using it. I already had the other magic weapons, and decided I wanted the Divine as well. And that is 100% o k a y!!!

    It is incredibly disappointing to see people in this community still ragging on others for playing the game how they want. If what other people do genuinely bothers some individuals THAT MUCH there is definitely a greater concern here.
  • ChaosShadowChaosShadow
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,325
    Posts: 133
    Member
    -snip-

    I hope this is more directed to the OP than I, for I have no qualms with others using a Divine Tribolt Wand. As I said to Snormie, I'm glad that the wand works for them. I won't lie- I would like to have one myself just to know what it's like, even if I would still rather use a celtic variant and a staff.

    You're absolutely right in saying that people can play this game however they want to- That's one of the game's main appeals and why I enjoy it more than any other MMO I've tried. The point of my initial post was to simple give an overview of the wand, with a bit of my personal thought thrown in. I never intended to shut anyone's playstyle down. :(
  • HeleoHeleo
    Mabinogi Rep: 820
    Posts: 15
    Member
    The reason I think its great is because not only can u CC like with celtic, but intermediate magic can be used, but the main reason is that it gets the specific wand buffs, 50% elemental increase like how a fire wand would have towards fire magic, but for all magics in one wand. Sure I dont think its exactly worth the huge cost, but its good nontheless.
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,520
    Posts: 438
    Member
    Let Divine Tribolts chain cast INT Magic, ez
  • OwntrolfOwntrolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,640
    Posts: 120
    Member
    Heleo wrote: »
    The reason I think its great is because not only can u CC like with celtic, but intermediate magic can be used, but the main reason is that it gets the specific wand buffs, 50% elemental increase like how a fire wand would have towards fire magic, but for all magics in one wand. Sure I dont think its exactly worth the huge cost, but its good nontheless.

    The wand boost only applies the wand coefficient which is only a little bit more damage ONLY for bolts