Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

SUGGESTION: Enable regex on all search boxes

Donk3yDonk3y
Mabinogi Rep: 2,050
in Feedback and Suggestions
I think it would be a really good idea to enable regex on all search boxes in the game.

People who don't know what regex is, or don't know how to use it, wouldn't really be affected, while those who do have a lot to gain from it.

It also shouldn't be hard to implement, since regex is so widespread, and such a core part of basically any programming language, that it likely wouldn't take long to implement it.
Sherri

Comments

• DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    It would be nice if you could explain what regex is to those of us who don’t know what it is.
    HisahimeDraechSherri
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    Ooh, bring on the regex! Sadly, the chances are of this are really low. I'm still waiting for case-insensitive search boxes. :(
  • Donk3yDonk3y
    Regex (regular expressions) are a way of searching or matching for patterns. It allows for a lot of freedom when searching for something, having the logical operator 'or', wildcards, etc.

For example, let's say we have this possible list of items:
    red
    black
    blue
    yellow
    black
    bleu
    And let's say we want to search for one OR another, say red or blue. Our search pattern would look like 'red|blue', and the output would be:
    red
    blue
    We could also have blue and bleu, and we might be interested in both, so we could use the 'or' logical operator for single characters, such as: 'red|bl[ue][ue]', which would output:
    red
    blue
    bleu

Now a more concrete example would be in the auction house, let's say I'm looking for angel wings, and I want either red or violet angel wings, I would search for '([Rr]ed|[Bb]lue) [Aa]ngel [Ww]ings'

All in all I think this would be an amazing feature for those who know how to use it, and it won't hurt at all those who can't use it :)
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    This looks too complicated... :D
  • Donk3yDonk3y
    But it's not really that complicated once you learn it a bit :D
    And it's really useful, I use regex all the time at work :D
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited June 9, 2019
    Regex is a buzz-word, the proper name is regular expression. The idea is that you can add logic into your search. A regex character you may all already be familiar with is *. * means any number of characters. So earlier when I refered to searching for "character+*" names the * here could mean Tarlach or Mari or Ruairi. Here is the wiki article about it.

As for the idea its self, heck yeah go with throttle up.

EDIT I just noticed in the text *.*, that was by accident! :)
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited June 9, 2019
    *.*

Literally my face when learning about Regex.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited June 9, 2019
    Greta wrote: »
    *.*

Literally my face when learning about Regex.

It's not so bad. You already use some of it now. Along with * theres - which means don't count this or a set of quotes which mean literally the string between them, + means this must be in the search. These are all regular expression you probably already know.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited June 11, 2019
    Helsa wrote: »
    Regex is a buzz-word, the proper name is regular expression.

"Regex" is a syllabic abbreviation, like Interpol is a syllabic abbreviation of International Police. Opsec, Tribeca, SoHo, and Gestapo are other examples.
    Sherri
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Well.. I have no idea what all of that means but I say sure!
    I can barely grasp the concept of CSS.. if that has anything to do with it.. heck I don't know, coding in general is hard for me to grasp.
    I wish I could understand you, computer. :C
  • HelsaHelsa
    Sherri wrote: »
    Well.. I have no idea what all of that means but I say sure!
    I can barely grasp the concept of CSS.. if that has anything to do with it.. heck I don't know, coding in general is hard for me to grasp.
    I wish I could understand you, computer. :C

There's really not much to it. It's a list of functions that allow you to narrow down searches. Say you wanted to search in Google for all instances of Mabinogi and characters named Sherri (so Sherri, Sherri55, SherriFTW, and so on), but they all must have a reference to G10, but not include Jousting you would do this:

Mabinogi Sherri* +G10 -Jousting.

Mabinogi and Sherri* have nothing in front of them so it would start looking for cases with either of these terms (not just ones with both).
    The * in Sherri* means any number of non-white-space characters tacked on to Sherri or no characters at all (white space is: blanks, tabs, line returns, carriage returns, etc.).
    The + in front of +G10 means the search result must include the term G10.
    The - in front of -Jousting means it specifically must NOT include the term Jousting.

There are more functions, say, that deal with parsing white space or, say, specifying a specific number of characters and so on. Somewhere on-line you can find a list of these things that you could save to a text file, say. Then you'd have a list of them. It's no more complicated than keeping a list of AltNumber characters.

Clear as mud?
    Sherri