Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Let's talk about G23, Preparing for the Plague.

IscaroitIscaroit
Mabinogi Rep: 890
in General Chat
(Minor spoilers ahead, maybe.)

The G23 quest, Preparing for the Plague, is a steaming load of buffalo dung. I'd know quite a bit about steaming loads of buffalo dung, as I've been slaughtering these things for two hours, and have a grand total of 1/5 of their fur clumps to show for it.

Anyway, rage aside, let's share some tips!

Because the drop rates of these quest items are egregiously low, you want to maximize the quest mobs you're killing. Right under the U in "Reus River", you can find both Black Buffalo and Ice Worms, which are quest monsters for the fur and scales respectively. As far as I am aware, Red Horn Reindeer do not drop the hooves, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone know if "Young" Black Buffalo can drop the fur, and which kind of Reindeer drop those hooves? Feel free to share that and anything else you know about the quest here, so we can all avoid paying 1M per Black Scale together.

Comments

• roastedpigroastedpig
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,040
    I haven't gotten to that part of the generation yet, but have you tried harvesting with a lower level character or used -cp gear while you do so? I forgot where I've read it but I distinctly remember CP having to do with drops...

So to say, not looking forward to gathering xxxx items with abysmal drop rates -_-

• 3rdy3rdy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,705
    roastedpig wrote: »
    I haven't gotten to that part of the generation yet, but have you tried harvesting with a lower level character or used -cp gear while you do so? I forgot where I've read it but I distinctly remember CP having to do with drops...

So to say, not looking forward to gathering xxxx items with abysmal drop rates -_-

when even cooking dungeon monsters count as week or 'strong' instead of boss theres only so much cp gear can do :/
    KensamaofmariWolfsinger
  • NemurikoAlexinaNemurikoAlexina
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,310
    Hmm, sounds like you're just unlucky. Took me no more than 15 minutes to collect everything needed for that quest. Check wiki if you're not sure which colors of monsters drop the parts, or where they're located.

Gray reindeer drop Gray reindeer hooves, Black-colored Ice Worms drop Black Ice Worm Scales, and Black Buffalo drop Black Buffalo Fur.
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,050
    edited June 21, 2019
    Hmm, sounds like you're just unlucky. Took me no more than 15 minutes to collect everything needed for that quest. Check wiki if you're not sure which colors of monsters drop the parts, or where they're located.

Gray reindeer drop Gray reindeer hooves, Black-colored Ice Worms drop Black Ice Worm Scales, and Black Buffalo drop Black Buffalo Fur.

I wished I had your luck, it took me 50 minutes with all the competition ( 5 people at Black Ice Worms).
  • dowiedowie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,800
    I don't think garbage is a word that can quite justify just how bad g23 is
    Goldtiger01Treesroastedpig
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    G23 Jarlath's Trail, What are you supposed to do for this?
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    edited June 21, 2019

spam sms its rng drop for the end chest I recommend bft2 or conflict if you get bodies to come. its drop looks like play pages.

in your invi they will look like this
    mlYAprk.png

EDIT: only thing I can not confirm is if should be done in hm, the quest doesn't specify what diff and ive only done hm so far and some of my friends said it has to be hm, but ill test this soon enough since im not done with that part ( was gathering mats for a different part later on).
    KR6NRCT.png
    Sherri
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Veylaine wrote: »

spam sms its rng drop for the end chest I recommend bft2 or conflict if you get bodies to come. its drop looks like play pages.

mlYAprk.png

Thanks
  • DarknDarkerDarknDarker
    Mabinogi Rep: 505
    the elf one is even worse than the giant one. doesn't even tell you the exact item names, just the general ones that could cover a dozen diffrent items. not cool, I don't want to spend 30 minutes farming drops off of enemies only to find out I've been farming the wrong ones the whole freakin' time!
    Can't even enjoy the story cus I'm spending more time running around hunting for mobs that never drop what you need than I am actually making progress!
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    edited June 21, 2019
    the elf one is even worse than the giant one. doesn't even tell you the exact item names, just the general ones that could cover a dozen diffrent items. not cool, I don't want to spend 30 minutes farming drops off of enemies only to find out I've been farming the wrong ones the whole freakin' time!
    Can't even enjoy the story cus I'm spending more time running around hunting for mobs that never drop what you need than I am actually making progress!

ah yes my friend had trouble with that
    unknown.png

luckily for them I read the dialouge and Atrata tells you
    capture.PNG
    not sure if they forgot add the specifics or couldn't code all that in.
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    edited June 21, 2019

mlYAprk.png

EDIT: only thing I can not confirm is if should be done in hm, the quest doesn't specify what diff and ive only done hm so far and some of my friends said it has to be hm, but ill test this soon enough since im not done with that part ( was gathering mats for a different part later on).
    KR6NRCT.png

Okay done Testing

10 Basic runs netted me 1 trace
    10 Hm runs netted me 5 traces.
    The sm I used was bft2

either I was unlucky with the basic runs or basic has a lower drop rate than hm.
  • DarknDarkerDarknDarker
    Mabinogi Rep: 505
    unknown.png

capture.PNG

good to know. now if only it didn't take like 10 minutes to get even one to drop... even on my culmulative lvl ~60 char, they're barely dropping,
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    unknown.png

capture.PNG

good to know. now if only it didn't take like 10 minutes to get even one to drop... even on my culmulative lvl ~60 char, they're barely dropping,

also a little sidenote make sure its black armadillos and not young ones they actually do drop similar items but are not the same I got a bit confused ( young black arma claw is a thing a apparently lol)
  • VeylaineVeylaine

mlYAprk.png

KR6NRCT.png

Okay done Testing

The sm I used was bft2

either I was unlucky with the basic runs or basic has a lower drop rate than hm.
    my luck is just spectacular, so after I did these tests I only needed just one more trace and it took me 7 hm runs to get it lol.
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    edited June 21, 2019

mlYAprk.png

KR6NRCT.png

Okay done Testing

The sm I used was bft2

my luck is just spectacular, so after I did these tests I only needed just one more trace and it took me 7 hm runs to get it lol.

final update on this unless others want to do testing, friend did 5 hm runs and got ziltch. Then he did 12 elite runs and got the 10 traces. So maybe its all same rng or higher diffs means higher drop rates?
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    edited June 21, 2019
    how do you get the shadow mission after getting all 10 of the clues together?

nvm
  • MegasoulMegasoul
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,735

I vaguely remember this being a thing too; also don't forget that you need some kind of weapon equipped to have a drop rate higher than 0%.
  • roastedpigroastedpig
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,040
    Megasoul wrote: »

I vaguely remember this being a thing too; also don't forget that you need some kind of weapon equipped to have a drop rate higher than 0%.

Well it's definitely easier with a lower level character. I got all the mats within 10-15minutes of running around for it. The mobs were awful to boss for said character.
  • JJJJ
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,400
    edited June 24, 2019
    Am I the only one who spent a long time on Google and wiki to try to find the Treasure Hunter's name for Shamala?
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    jjeremy wrote: »
    Am I the only one who spent a long time on Google and wiki to try to find the Treasure Hunter's name for Shamala?

Probably the only one xD
    Sherri