Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Revitilize old content

BanazaiSabreBanazaiSabre
Mabinogi Rep: 1,955
in Feedback and Suggestions
Theres alot of old stuff that could frankly do with some love, uptuneing or completely overhauling.

Gems dont stack. Make them stack.

Water is a runescape-themed nightmare waste of time. Overhaul water bottles to hold 10 stacks e.g "7/10th full bottle of water". this would also mean changing ingredients to require "water" rather than a bottle of water. might take some effort to change, but would be loved by many

add some more value to collection quest scrolls. there straight up unviable even for a new player. even with 20 bots, I would not consider them viable, not that im suggesting using those. maybe between 8-10k for completion, instead of 13 gold. or better yet, as a bone atali hunter myself, get rid of them, seriously, there pointless fodder for the sake of fodder. id rather get 20x more smelts then get one more collection scroll

Gifts don't stack. Let them stack. Less of an issue for people with bag space, more of an issue for new players. A better alternative is removing secret shops, but id be happy with this change.

alot of cooked ingredients dont stack. Let them stack e.g boiled egg.

Remove silk weaving gloves. its a tedium few enjoy, and they break excessively quickly.

Not quite as old, but i'd argue need an update, Elite quest passes. let them stack. e.g elite provocation. Not for time limited obviously, but regularly acquired versions.

increased payouts for former scrolls. these things have straight up become so insignificant there being made fun of in the story. I guess that joke doesn't work if they actually do update them, so maybe not?

SherriKensamaofmariDanievictriaYangKoete

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    The only difficult part about cooked ingredients is that they also get stars, most of them.
    And how does one label edible cooked ingredients? Some of them are a dish of their own like braised king crab or steamed mushroom
  • NerezzaNerezza
    Mabinogi Rep: 685
    edited June 26, 2019
    I agree that a lot of older content is a pain, but generally that's because it follows the philosophies of the original dev team which believed arbitrary tedium was the spice of life skills. Here are my thoughts on a few things:

Water: What you're asking for is not as simple as it sounds (speaking from experience) so I cannot recommend it. I can however recommend two things: 100% success rates for filling water bottles, up from what seems to be somewhere in the 80%-90% success rate it is now which is probably an oversight left in during the big life skill update. Filling multiple bottles in your inventory at a time.

Collection quest scrolls: These are in a weird state, iirc the armies of bots attacking simple mobs eventually developed the ability to collect fomor scrolls which could be turned in with quests to make money. Either the rewards were toned down significantly to make them not worth the effort, or gold inflation over the past 3 years has devalued their rewards significantly. I'm not sure what can be done in the former case, but in the latter case Nexon just has to stop throwing gold at players during events. There's already another forum topic about that though, I'll let them bicker over it there.

Gifts: I agree really, secret shops are one of the tedious things that came with the original release of the game and has since proven to be a pointless hassle (silk weaving gloves too). Making gifts stackable would be good for players that haven't filled their inventory with bags yet. As for the removal of secret shops, I would disagree; instead I would suggest going with the "Fleta example" and tying them to vaguely interesting side quests: do an errand, get access to rare shop items.

Silk weaving gloves: The original dev team of Mabi thought that arbitrary tedium was the spice they needed to make life skills interesting, not realizing that "tedious" and "interesting" are mutually exclusive. Silk weaving gloves was one of the things this awful philosophy gave birth to. Removing their requirement would be great, but at the very least increasing how many times they can be used before breaking would be great too.
    DanievictriaSherri
  • BanazaiSabreBanazaiSabre
    the water thing i get. its not something easy to fix. but finding another solution would be great. like changing the ingrident to "water source" and then making other items such as big bottles, or changing old bottles...having and switching out 60 bottles over and over for potions is....well. boring.
    changing water would be so good though...
  • NerezzaNerezza
    Mabinogi Rep: 685
    edited June 26, 2019
    the water thing i get. its not something easy to fix. but finding another solution would be great. like changing the ingrident to "water source" and then making other items such as big bottles, or changing old bottles...having and switching out 60 bottles over and over for potions is....well. boring.

I agree but changing how the recipe window accepts the bottled water ingredient would take a lot of work, and only benefit a few crafting recipes. I could see it happening as part of a complete overhaul (it's easier to figure out how to implement a change like this when you're working from scratch, than it is to go through the spaghetti and tug on things until you find a solution that fits) but this is a pretty low priority thing to overhaul right now really.

I would encourage coming up with compromises, stuff that avoids changing the properties of the water bottle itself or the mechanics of the crafting window would be a good compromise, hence my suggestion to at the very least give us 100% gathering chance on water.

Going with your "big bottles" thing, maybe a "Water Jug" item you can fill at wells in one go, then used with potions to make 5 or 10 at a time per jug compared to a single potion per bottle? That would only require adding new crafting recipes and a variant of the bottle and result in only two or four well gathers per stack of potions compared to the twenty (or more) gathers per stack we have now.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    Yes! Nintendo, hire this man!

tenor.gif
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    edited June 27, 2019
    I agree, and would like to add:

Fabric and Silk Qualities: Let us be able to pick which quality we want to make, with a success/failure rate based on our weaving skill level and whatever buffs currently apply to our characters. It can be so annoying dealing with that RNG nonsense when all you need is one more of one kind of silk or fabric for skill training purposes, and you keep getting the wrong types every time. It's especially a pain with fabric, because of how bulky wool is.

Color Code Enemy Names Based on Relative CP! When you're training CP-related skills, you find yourself running around with the Alt button eternally held down in search of the right prey. That can get really tedious. A simple name color code on enemies would fix all that: Purple for Weakest, Blue for Weak, Green for Similar Strength, Yellow for Strong, Orange for Awful, and Red for Boss. A little star icon by the names of Ancient monsters would be nice too, while we're at it.

Spawn the Fishing, Smithing, and Tailoring mini-game windows in the CENTER of the screen!!! I mean, seriously, they're all the way off to the left of the screen when they pop up and some of them can't even be moved over to an easier to see location. This can make situating your mouse to do the mini-game a total pain in the butt. Especially since fighting the fish is crazy enough without the added annoyance of having to get your mouse to the designated place quickly enough...
    Sherri
    the..the fishing minigame is an issue for people? thats the first time ive heard that, and oh god that cp thing would be nice too. even if it was just a toogleable like trasnformation mastery
    Danievictria
    the..the fishing minigame is an issue for people? thats the first time ive heard that, and oh god that cp thing would be nice too. even if it was just a toogleable like trasnformation mastery

Well, I've never been able to successfully complete the fishing mini game, not once ever. And winemaking for me is just as difficult.

Oh, yes. The fish can make very sudden movements to either side, and if you're not quick enough or your actual physical mouse isn't in just the right place to move accordingly, your catch will get away from you. With the window all the way to the left of the screen, it gets even more irritating, because then you have to focus your attention to a side which for the majority of people isn't even their dominant side, and get your cursor over there from the center of the screen where the initial alert window appears QFIA. It can be nerve-wracking.
    Well, I've never been able to successfully complete the fishing mini game, not once ever. And winemaking for me is just as difficult.

My tip: concentrate on keeping the fish's nose inside the red box. When the fish's nose leaves the box, that's when the getaway bar starts filling up, so focus on keeping the fish's nose as close to the center of the box as possible. I've had more success with that method than the recommendations from the wiki about watching your fishing line or the fish's tail.

Oh, yes. The fish can make very sudden movements to either side, and if you're not quick enough or your actual physical mouse isn't in just the right place to move accordingly, your catch will get away from you. With the window all the way to the left of the screen, it gets even more irritating, because then you have to focus your attention to a side which for the majority of people isn't even their dominant side, and get your cursor over there from the center of the screen where the initial alert window appears QFIA. It can be nerve-wracking.

My tip: concentrate on keeping the fish's nose inside the red box. When the fish's nose leaves the box, that's when the getaway bar starts filling up, so focus on keeping the fish's nose as close to the center of the box as possible. I've had more success with that method than the recommendations from the wiki about watching your fishing line or the fish's tail.

I think my issue is when the fish starts thrashing around, sometimes the hands don't move as fast as the brain wants.
    Danievictria
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited June 27, 2019
    Nerezza wrote: »
    Collection quest scrolls: These are in a weird state, iirc the armies of bots attacking simple mobs eventually developed the ability to collect fomor scrolls which could be turned in with quests to make money. Either the rewards were toned down significantly to make them not worth the effort, or gold inflation over the past 3 years has devalued their rewards significantly. I'm not sure what can be done in the former case, but in the latter case Nexon just has to stop throwing gold at players during events. There's already another forum topic about that though, I'll let them bicker over it there.

I think he was referring to the other collection scrolls you can get from fishing; like, the ones that give you 25 gold for 5 small, G1 gems of x color.

I don't think there's ever been a Fomor Scroll Quest that gave 13 gold for completion.
    Yeah i was. frankly i thought they removed formor scrolls from regular mobs outside of dungons, thats why we dont see gold farm bots at the raccons anymore. was i wrong?
    Yeah i was. frankly i thought they removed formor scrolls from regular mobs outside of dungons, thats why we dont see gold farm bots at the raccons anymore. was i wrong?

No, field mobs still drop scrolls. I've actually made quite a bit from picking those up whenever they drop and turning them in when I get a stack of 10 of any kind. Most don't pay out that much, though. The most lucrative for me have been the Plateau Wild Boars, at about 18k per stack of 10, since they make good grinding fodder when you're training Windmill or Martial Arts combos.
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    Fomor Scrolls were increase in rewards, ever last one of them, from what they used to be.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    The only difficult part about cooked ingredients is that they also get stars, most of them.
    And how does one label edible cooked ingredients? Some of them are a dish of their own like braised king crab or steamed mushroom

Yeah, the stars make them unique items. But non-stared foods could be made stackable.
    Water is a runescape-themed nightmare waste of time. Overhaul water bottles to hold 10 stacks e.g "7/10th full bottle of water". this would also mean changing ingredients to require "water" rather than a bottle of water. might take some effort to change, but would be loved by many

Or make the bottle a weapon, with better stats when holding fluid; have the folks at Nexon never seen a movie with a bar-fight in it?
    Remove silk weaving gloves. its a tedium few enjoy, and they break excessively quickly.

I'd prefer if they made them repairable and upgradeable.
    increased payouts for former scrolls. these things have straight up become so insignificant there being made fun of in the story. I guess that joke doesn't work if they actually do update them, so maybe not?

They did once already; I think it was approximately doubling the reward. I dedicate a pet to holding the scrolls which I collect catch-as-can. Once I get 11 or more I cash 'em in.
    KensamaofmariSherri
    I think may quest scroll quests can be updated to present a better challenge and be more rewarding.
    That, and the calls over the years to upgrade/add more PTJs.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited June 28, 2019
    Nerezza wrote: »

I agree but changing how the recipe window accepts the bottled water ingredient would take a lot of work, and only benefit a few crafting recipes. I could see it happening as part of a complete overhaul (it's easier to figure out how to implement a change like this when you're working from scratch, than it is to go through the spaghetti and tug on things until you find a solution that fits) but this is a pretty low priority thing to overhaul right now really.

I disagree. Fixing the ridiculous water system is a high priority to make the cooking system not torture. This will benefit more than just "a few crafting recipes." Take a look at the wiki page for water https://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Water . Water is used directly in 49 recipes and indirectly in almost all final dish recipes (water is used to make intermediate ingredients: the different doughs, the different pastas, the different noodles, fry batter, vinegar, rice, and more). If you include milk (the other bottle-able liquid) then you affect almost all of the cooking system.

Then there's the potion system that requires 1 bottle of water to create just ONE of these: the 300 potions, the 500 potions, the 300 RE and 500 RE potions, the special potions like poison potion, antidote potion, cooking potion, likeability potion, good luck potion.

OKqzcUP.jpg

Here's what the system could look like. Bottles will hold one unit of liquid, buckets will hold 6, and canisters/barrels will hold 18. (im just guessing on the numbers tbh) I think bottles should also get another utility use so that people will still carry one or two around. They can trap live bugs, make molotov cocktails, make an impromptu random choice jar or voting jar, stick a few coins in it to make an instrument, any other ideas?
    KensamaofmariSherri
    impressive sprite work. also
    unknown.png
    572b66dabf387.gif
    SherriDanievictria
    Did small gens ever have that monetary reward for collecting them? I only remember exchanging them for small green.
    seriously reus river looks like it has water under it, but its actually just collection paper
    Kensamaofmari