Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Dear Nexon: STOP RUINING THE ECONOMY

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    edited June 21, 2019
    Sherri wrote: »
    Greta wrote: »
    Pan wrote: »
    tN9jcw8.png

No matter how much information we (as the players) throw at Nexon, they will disregard it even though it's all there in front of them.

OOF. Literally in their Discord server.

They could deal with these gold sellers/buyers easily, but i guess they know there's no other way to make that quick $$$ if players won't get that taste of some NX first.

Dang really? I guess they don't care about their game anymore as long as they get their gacha money LOL

Gotta gacha em all!

On a separate note, I wish I had that 100 mil
    Then I won't have to make a single dish or synthesize a single dye in a long while.
  • Donk3yDonk3y
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,050
    edited June 23, 2019
    Yes, stop ruining the economy! Let the status quo of 0.1% having 99% go on and basically lead the market prices of everything, and don't give the little guy any chance to join in.

Yes, bad nexon!

In all seriousness, there's probably just a few ways to tackle this, and one of the most efficient ways will leave the big shots crying in a corner: just remove 99% of the gold. Divide the gold stocked anywhere on the servers (pets, banks, characters, auction house, etc.) by 100.

There you go, you removed inflation, and you left a few crybabies.

Realistically what's happening is just that excess gold is taken out of the game, without affecting the market too much (since the proportions are left as is, i.e. There was 100b of gold in the whole game before and Bob had 1m, now there's 1b of gold in the game, and Bob has 10k, 100b/1m = 1b/10k), it has the benefit of balancing the economy, since legit ways of obtaining gold will not have changed.

This won't have a long lasting effect though, so better fixes have to be thought out.

Dekaron did this, and though there were a bunch of crybabies here and there, the effect was almost exclusively positive, though it only lasted ~2-3 years before it went back to "normal". Keep in mind that that game is basically completely pay to win.
  • PheonixferaPheonixfera
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,030
    edited June 23, 2019
    Donk3y wrote: »
    Yes, stop ruining the economy! Let the status quo of 0.1% having 99% go on and basically lead the market prices of everything, and don't give the little guy any chance to join in.

Yes, bad nexon!

In all seriousness, there's probably just a few ways to tackle this, and one of the most efficient ways will leave the big shots crying in a corner: just remove 99% of the gold. Divide the gold stocked anywhere on the servers (pets, banks, characters, auction house, etc.) by 100.

Realistically what's happening is just that excess gold is taken out of the game, without affecting the market too much (since the proportions are left as is, i.e. There was 100b of gold in the whole game before and Bob had 1m, now there's 1b of gold in the game, and Bob has 10k, 100b/1m = 1b/10k), it has the benefit of balancing the economy, since legit ways of obtaining gold will not have changed.

This won't have a long lasting effect though, so better fixes have to be thought out.

Dekaron did this, and though there were a bunch of crybabies here and there, the effect was almost exclusively positive, though it only lasted ~2-3 years before it went back to "normal". Keep in mind that that game is basically completely pay to win.

Believe it or not, the current system in place benefits the 0.1% more than it does the little guy for the simple reason that the 0.1% are the ones with most of the gold in the game. They're the ones who are currently setting the gold prices and inflating the market. Because of this, the little guy i.e. me and anyone else who does NOT have the money to buy gold, cannot get the amount of gold necessary to pay for the insane item prices through normal means.

SherriGretaDanievictriaKensamaofmari

Yes, bad nexon!

Believe it or not, the current system in place benefits the 0.1% more than it does the little guy for the simple reason that the 0.1% are the ones with most of the gold in the game. They're the ones who are currently setting the gold prices and inflating the market. Because of this, the little guy i.e. me and anyone else who does NOT have the money to buy gold, cannot get the amount of gold necessary to pay for the insane item prices through normal means.

Welcome to the real world Fantasy Life!
  • MusicatMusicat
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,320
    edited June 26, 2019
    If the prices you have to pay for things goes up by 10x, it means the prices of things you could sell also goes up 10x. ... If you want to keep up with economic changes, you need to sell things.
    But, at the same time, the capable gap narrows (there are eventually less people left who can put such things on sale, and also less items every time that are affected by a price increase). In other words, not all things have their price go up, some become less needed, thus people who have such items and don't have more specified goods can't participate in rebalancing.
    P. S. I've done hell of a work editing this comment's formulation. Someone hug me. >w<
    Danievictria
    Musicat wrote: »
    If the prices you have to pay for things goes up by 10x, it means the prices of things you could sell also goes up 10x. ... If you want to keep up with economic changes, you need to sell things.
    But, at the same time, the capable gap narrows (there are eventually less people left who can put such things on sale, and also less items every time that are affected by a price increase). In other words, not all things have their price go up, some become less needed, thus people who have such items and don't have more specified goods can't participate in rebalancing.
    P. S. I've done hell of a work editing this comment's formulation. Someone hug me. >w<

You get a hug and a Small_Gold_Stack.gif

If costs go up, naturally all prices of final goods are expected to go up. But in the game, seldom you will run into that situation as for items that come with a cost for resell generally have a fixed price. However, some materials may be subject to increased costs due to having increased demand for them. As for tradeable items from the web shop or events, price fluctuations there is similar to stocks. People try to gauge what the item is worth and what buyers are willing to pay for them to determine the market price. Sellers will go after the home run sale and price high to try to catch a buyer willing to pay that amount. If a sale of that high value succeed, naturally others who have that item also for sale would be inclined to price higher. If there is no buyer response to a high price, and there is for a lower price, naturally the price of that item will be dragged down.
    Danievictria
  • NerezzaNerezza
    Mabinogi Rep: 685
    edited June 26, 2019
    Generally what I've seen from directly buying/selling from free economies (automatically excludes BDO, of course) in games for over a decade now is that price is determined by 3 things:
    1. How hard the item being sold is to acquire.
    2. How many buyers are trying to get ahold of the item.
    3. How much money is in the economy.

For point one: difficulty of acquisition takes into account the combat involved (if any), how expensive your gear has to be for that combat, and the drop rate. The less people capable of getting a rare drop, the less supply and thus the higher value.

For point two: this probably does not need to be explained, for a relevant example you can take a look at the value of diamonds on the AH right now which jumped up about 10x their original value now that G23 wants you to get diamonds for it.

Point three is difficult to illustrate; it's very difficult to observe how much gold is in a game's economy and to observe the influences of it you would have to compare the game with how it was years prior. Basically though, prices do inflate as gold is introduced to the economy (I was nearly pulling my hair out the first time the Math Christmas Dungeon was introduced, frustrated that it would accelerate inflation in the game) but this generally does affect everything regarding the player-run economy of a game.

The higher prices frustrate buyers yes, but can also be overcome by becoming a competent seller yes. That said, this brings about what I consider to be a real issue for the game: The rewards for dungeons, SMs, commerce, etc. are growing relatively smaller compared to the prices in the player economy and leave less options for earning significant amounts of gold.

The last time I'd played WoW (back during Burning Legion pre-expansion events iirc) the prices of the player economy were significantly inflated over what I'd seen before (I made money during that short return the exact same way I'd made it during the Cataclysm expansion, but was still making significantly more gold), but this seemed to be working out fine in WoW because all the new expansions constantly presented gold sinks to the old players and increased gold rewards to help newer/returning players afford things. Mabi doesn't have expansions or updates to significantly influence the player economy and help provide players with a solid source of gold unless you consider shadow crystals a valid example. Instead we get commerce nerfs because making money off the making money life skill is a no-no.

We're starting to see a problem where the people holding the most gold don't really need or want a lot of things in the game anymore, so they're excluded from the "buyer competition" for a lot of items and do not influence those prices or redistribute their accumulated wealth downwards. In turn though, for the things they need or want they can afford to pay significantly more on them and drive the prices up significantly out of reach of others. People trying to make money generally have to resort to dealing in "lower economy" items while the people with a lot of money play around in the "higher economy".

In short I'm not convinced inflation is the real problem here because literally every healthy economy should experience inflation. I think the real problem is that Nexon's afraid to give us a good way to directly make gold outside of participating in the player economy, which leads to less influx of gold into the aforementioned "lower economy" to distribute between the sellers as inflation increases. The lash out against Nexon handing gold out as part of an event is justifiable though, as it raises the question of: "Gee, if you're so happy to hand all this gold out to us, why do you have to be stingy for the gold we actually have to work for?"

Edit: Edited to better organize my thoughts on this.
    SherriDanievictriaPlatinaKoki
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited June 26, 2019
    Inflation is one thing, funneling large amounts of wealth to so few players is another if related issue. This gives them an inordinate amount of power to screw people over by giving them the power to singlehandedly determine worth. Supply and demand doesn't work so nicely when demand is effectively shunted to just so few people with the money at the expense of everyone else.

There's a psychological aspect of it as well, with people insisting on prices of the past merely because they higher when the object was sold, instead of facing the reality that maybe, maybe that object decreased in value. People are gosh darn stubborn.

Honestly? "Balances itself out"? What a load of balderdash. Perfect if we go into Smith's perfect economy, but guess what? Few markets fulfill the necessary criteria, from freely available information to low entrance costs and so forth. Otherwise, Walmart wouldn't #$@!ing exist.
    SherriGretaDanievictria
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    It seems that only gacha items get you gold nowadays. Items I relied on (HW, red upgrade stones, ancient magic powder) to get gold have gone from being semi decent earnings to just pocket change of Nao Economy.
    I end up spending it all on repairs anyway.. this half-off repair fee is supporting me a lot though.
    edited June 27, 2019
    It seems that only gacha items get you gold nowadays. Items I relied on (HW, red upgrade stones, ancient magic powder) to get gold have gone from being semi decent earnings to just pocket change of Nao Economy.
    I end up spending it all on repairs anyway.. this half-off repair fee is supporting me a lot though.

Although a certain amount of these pocket change commodities have seen their price go up since the merge, but we'll have to wait and see if that will hold stable.

Anyone on Alexina know how these items' prices have changed?
  • NerezzaNerezza
    Mabinogi Rep: 685
    edited June 27, 2019

"Re-basing" the value of a currency can be useful in the real world if excessive inflation affects an economy to the point that the currency is reaching unusually high values, but as you say this has to be done with other measures if the re-basing occurs due to unusually fast inflation, or else the issue will just reoccur immediately (as seen in Venezuela right now.)

Unfortunately it doesn't work well in a game and would cause serious problems for poor players who now have 99% less gold to use in NPC transactions which don't adjust according to the value of gold; poor players would begin to struggle to afford repairs.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited June 27, 2019

Although a certain amount of these pocket change commodities have seen their price go up since the merge, but we'll have to wait and see if that will hold stable.

I spend 50k per 10 HW because no one sells them. :/

Let's be fair though, I am not the tankiest person, but I rarely die in the first place.
    Kensamaofmari
  • NemurikoAlexinaNemurikoAlexina
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,310

Everyone keeps saying these things, but there are dozens and dozens of ways to make large amounts of gold without gacha or NX. It's true the items you listed are no longer profitable. You need to find other things to sell if you want a decent profit.

Now, keep in mind that if there's more money in the economy, items sell at a higher price, and *everyone makes more money. This effectively lowers repair costs and the costs of all NPC items. *Everyone benefits.

On a separate note, I'd like to revisit the original post of this thread, and point out that the prize machine is draining far more gold than it's giving out. 100k per player per day, even if it's just a small chunk of players, will very quickly surpass the values of those checks.

*People who sell things. Don't sell anything? Stop whining.
    Greta

Everyone keeps saying these things, but there are dozens and dozens of ways to make large amounts of gold without gacha or NX. It's true the items you listed are no longer profitable. You need to find other things to sell if you want a decent profit.

Now, keep in mind that if there's more money in the economy, items sell at a higher price, and *everyone makes more money. This effectively lowers repair costs and the costs of all NPC items. *Everyone benefits.

On a separate note, I'd like to revisit the original post of this thread, and point out that the prize machine is draining far more gold than it's giving out. 100k per player per day, even if it's just a small chunk of players, will very quickly surpass the values of those checks.

People go for the walk off home run too much, when a simple hit or even less can do the trick when it comes to selling things in these games. A baseball analogy.
    In other words, people are lazy and greedy. They want to get the big one, like the mega lottery jackpot when basic things in the game can sustain them. The web shop and gachas, the company are blamed, but it is their own greed that created the issues of inflation.

Of course, not everyone is like this, nor do many they realize they contributed to the growing problem.

Market hyperinflation occurs when there is consensus for prices to be that high, by caving into the pressure that they have no choice but to pay for the amount that is listed.

Yes, there are some problems that can be fixed in the game, but most of the problems are created by players themselves.
  • CiriCiri
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,185
    edited June 27, 2019

HW - 50k since there's little to no people doing church/healer ptj anymore (thank previous events providing the mass holy waters)
    Red ups - 495k ea
    Ancient magic powders - 400k just last week, this week shot up to 1m since the Divine ones are running low now on the AH

Not to mention how sleazy majority of the merchants are in alexina. They have money, they just hoard it to sell for pp so eventually tempting an average newbie to have to spend irl money more so. Oh and there's also a bunch of jerks, making people hold largely priced items for a week only to haggle further down when new gacha comes out. Apparently they forget how crappy rng is assumes everyone who gachas gets the rare ones like easy. Really makes buying gachas not worth it anymore since not only is rng crappy but certain buyers can't seem to talk without that self-entitlement gig out of their butt just because they're "pro merchants".

Edit: I meant the buyers who haggle so low and r/choosingbeggars who pretty much became rich for 'borrowing' their friends' items only to never give it back being self-entitled.

There are still some merchants out there who price the norm, just very few. :/
    KensamaofmariDonk3y
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    There's no problem with the economy, it balances itself out. If the prices you have to pay for things goes up by 10x, it means the prices of things you could sell also goes up 10x. The only thing that remains constant is gold drops from monsters and mission rewards.

It sounds like people are complaining that spamming shadow crystals is becoming less profitable, but that's not a problem with the economy. There's just no demand affiliated with the gold payout of missions. If you want to keep up with economic changes, you need to sell things. Things for which the demand is currently high, as demand changes over time. There's on single good or service in any economy that won't vary in price over time.

In short, things aren't any harder to get than before, some people have just become worse at getting them.

I have been saying this for some time . . . BUT . . . the proviso is you must be involved in buy low/sell high. Even in the real world most people are not cut out for this. If you are someone capable of this, then I fully understand your thinking, and say good for you.

Yes, bad nexon!

Superficially this seems like a good idea, but it punishes people. If you're someone who struggled their way into the patrician class, so not someone who spent real money on the game, and you have that gold taken away, are you gonna wanna keep playing; especially when this would need to be done over and over again?

Gachas are but to get lots of gold fast. People want gacha items but don't want to spend real world money for them. What's left then? In game gold. You can't have it both ways.

The reasons regular items don't seem to be the cash cows they once were are:
    - high end items keep going up in price because of inflation induced by the expanding money supply.
    - most folks aren't willing to either spend real world money or engage in buy low/sell high, but are willing to crank up their Protestant work ethic and grind for gold. Well, more are doing that now. So if you have more sellers of Holy Water then the price of it goes down.

All that you are experiencing now, we have for some time. We've had time to come to terms with it and adjust. Perhaps this may explain why some Alexinans seem "cold" in these matters. Some things are Nexon's fault such as the dye wells that destroyed the dye market for sellers. Great news if you're a buyer of dyes. Great news at first for those who thought "hey I can sell dyes to make gold!" But then so did a lot of other people; see the catch 22 there?

Yes, but again they are items flipped via buy low/sell high. All the low hanging fruit (the grindy stuff) is saturated. Technically you are right in that, it's their fault for NOT doing buy low sell high, but it's not for everyone. If you are someone who is comfortable with buy low sell high, it is impossible to see things from their perspective. To be fair though, for those adverse to buy low/sell high it is just a matter of getting over it.

WARNING: I'm now gonna engage in some Tony Robbinsesque pontification.

This is all very much reflected in the real world. The secret to success is that there is no secret to it:
    - roll up your sleeves and get to work,
    - keep at it until you are.
    If you are someone who's understood this from the get-go, it is impossible for you to empathise with those who haven't, "I just did what I had to do and kept at it. Anyone could have done what I did. These people are just lazy whiners." However, on the other side of things, those folks know all about the secrets to success, but that's not what's holding them back, "How long can anyone keep putting up with failure. You need to fight your way tooth and nail and the whole world wants you to fail so it can keep things for its self." So, for them it's impossible to see things from successful people's perspective, "Yes, thanks for the platitudes, about rolling up my sleeves, now can you give me some useful advise?" What it comes down to is this: knowing, that it's just rolling up your sleeves and sticking to it, is not enough you need to believe it. So, the difference between these two groups of people is motivation or lack thereof.

The two greatest motivators are: fear and success, so therefore, the two greatest de-motivators are: complacency and failure. Unsuccessful people are not motivated and so don't do what they need to do, whereas successful people are and do. To move from being unsuccessful to successful you have to pass through an intermediate state where you are not motivated but do what you need to do. The idea is to stay there until you built up a big enough string of successes to move you to the successful state where continued success keeps you motivated. Bare in mind, if you are successful and have a lengthy spell of failure you can end up dropping into this intermediate state. Continued failure could drop you further into the unsuccessful state. It's all about state of mind. In that intermediate state, once you've had a long enough string of success, you'll have that epiphany; "HEY, all I need to do is roll up my sleeves and keep to it!" That's when you finally believe it. Now, how do you keep at it in that intermediate state? Well, there you need to talk to Tony Robbins.
    SherriKensamaofmariDonk3yHisahime
  • BanazaiSabreBanazaiSabre
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,955
    hard to belive you could buy reforges for less then 500k once upon a time
    giving out free is pretty bad though, just look at black desert, i cant stand money in that game, litarely handing you millions upon millions just for exsisting.
    SherriKensamaofmari
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    hard to belive you could buy reforges for less then 500k once upon a time
    giving out free is pretty bad though, just look at black desert, i cant stand money in that game, litarely handing you millions upon millions just for exsisting.

Ah, if only real life was like that hehehe..
    Also, I wish I was around/knew how reforges worked back then.. :(
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    edited June 29, 2019
    In response to the whole "Buy Low, Sell High" argument:

The reason why a lot of people are averse to going that route is because of how risky it is. Believe me, I've used that method in other games I've played over the years, and it's not always as much of a cut-and-dry route to success that the proponents of this method on this thread have made it out to be.

First of all, especially for a relatively new player, it can be hard to tell which commodities are currently cheap or becoming cheap because of a temporary dip in demand or excess supply and will soon bounce up in price and become more profitable, and which have become permanently worthless and will either stay stuck at their current low price or continue to tumble further into the abyss and become inventory clogging garbage items. In games where item rarities are applied, the item's rarity doesn't always accurately reflect whether or not it's worth anything to the player base at all, since it could be a "Junk Rare" because it's given out so often by games or quest NPC's that it might as well be labeled common or/and is an item with no actual gameplay use whatsoever, so its stated rarity is totally moot. This creates a "Guide Dangit" level barrier to entry for the "Buy Low, Sell High" method of in-game commerce that just makes a lot of people throw up their hands and go, "This is too complicated! I'll just make money the fun way!"

Second of all, "Buy Low, Sell High" requires storage space, investment capitol, and patience. A player may have one or two of these things in abundance, but it takes all three to really be able to take advantage of this method. If you don't have enough money to invest in a decent stock of the items you intend to resell without making it impossible to afford the things you need for regular gameplay (equipment repairs, potions, alchemy/gun ammo, etc.), then this method is not going to be appealing to you. The same with storage space, especially in a game like this where storage is at a premium. Even with bank alts and such, you'll eventually run out of space for all this stuff. Then there's patience, because it can take months or even years for something that you bought low to jump up in price enough for you to make a profit...and not everyone is willing to wait 3 years for a new event/generation/feature that uses a certain item to pull its price out of the garbage pit.

So, while "Buy Low, Sell High" might seem like perfect logic to those who have what it takes to stick with it and be successful with it, it's not for everyone. Most people don't find it fun, first of all, and people play games to have fun. Second, it takes resources and a level of knowledge and patience that not every player has at their disposal. So, yeah, players are going to seek the kind of money-making that they find the most fun and easy, and if the most fun way to make gold isn't also a decently lucrative way to make gold, people will get frustrated...Because it's a game, and games are supposed to be fun. To then tell someone to do something in a game that they find inherently un-fun just to make gold...well, you might as well be a parent or guidance counselor who tells a kid, "Look, Timmy, I know you're passionate about teaching, but there's no money in that. Go into IT instead. I know you hate working with all of the weird little intricacies of computers, so the job with be absolute misery for you, but that's where the money is. Go get 'em, Champ!" And, frankly, folks get enough of that in real life.
    Sherri
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited June 30, 2019
    So, I normally really don't get upset regarding game stuff, but this is pissing me off. For the last couple of events, Nexon has given out "Lost 100 million gold checks". Let me explain to you why this is a horrible idea. It destroys the in-game economy. It makes the gold worthless. Not only that, but because gold has become so ubiquitous via people using bots to stockpile and sell it, the price of everything has skyrocketed. People who sold gold to others (I've never bought or sold gold, but I've noticed it) sold it for 3m for $10 JUST 3 YEARS AGO. Now, gold has decreased in value by over 3x. This is crazy!

Dear Nexon. Stop ruining the in-game economy. Stop giving away such ridiculous amounts of gold and create a way to get rid of such a ubiquitous amount of gold so that the economy can stabilize. These prices are part of the reason the game is dying: gold is too hard to get in large amounts unless you buy it. ( AND DO NOT TAKE THAT AS "Oh, lets just make gold easier to get then." I swear to god)

Gaia is a good example of this.

They started selling gold generators. Got so out of hand, they had to introduce a new currency system (while keeping Gold system, too).
    Hey, that 'Millionaire Shopping Center' idea sounds great! Let's expand on that and think up stuff to sell there that newbs and poor players won't want.

Repairs for Avalon Gate and funding for Baltane Squires. Fix up the old buildings around the squires area, give them top-notch training equipment and uniforms, make Shuan happy. Cost: 25m

Rent out various buildings and halls around Erinn for social events. Rent a ballroom in Rath Castle, rent a villa in Belvast, rent a combat arena in Tailteann, rent a picnic area in Festia, rent a cozy room in the "nightlife" district of Emain, rent out the Soul Stream for parties. Cost: varies from 1m to 300m

Donate to various cities and get a building named after you. Imagine visiting the Naruto559 Library in Dunbarton, or spending a day at Ponyloveruwu Land (formerly Festia). Cost: varies from 500m to 30b.

Or a bank tax.

The amount you pay is a fixed rate (like, 10%).

Those "millionaires" won't be millionaires for long.

And to keep them from withdrawing money in checks, make checks cost more to make.