Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

"Catch and release" option for fishing

notjerlnotjerl
Mabinogi Rep: 585
in Feedback and Suggestions
I've been doing a lot of AFK fishing recently for the Endelyon renown (and a bit before that for the G23 flood relief mission). However, I pretty much don't want any of the items I fish up, and I definitely don't want any of the actual fish I fish up. In the past, this wouldn't be that big of a deal - your inventory fills up, so you just drop what you don't want and you're on your way. However, it isn't G12 anymore... With 15 bags that stuff can go into plus the VIP tab and Soul Stream Inventory, it literally takes me about 10-15 minutes just to drop all the stuff out of my inventory.

Thus, I propose a menu option to improve the AFK playing experience for fishing: "Catch and Release". It's a thing people actually do in the real world quite often when fishing if they're just doing it for fun and don't actually want to keep the fish they catch, so why not in-game? It would be nice if there was a separate toggle for items and fish, but even if it's just one toggle that controls both, or even just one toggle that only releases fish and keeps anything that isn't a fish that you catch up, it would help a lot. It's a lot easier to drop 3 Beginner Skirts than 12 stacks of Taitinn Carp...
RaishiiGretaKensamaofmariSherri

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    That's a pretty good idea. For now though you can set your bags to only accept certain types of items, this should limit the catching to your inventory and the soul stream bag.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    I would make a catch and release system to be more complex.
    Catch the fish, tag it, release it, it will grow. If you catch the tagged fish again, you can see if it has grown.
    Tagged fish cannot be kept. Add a journal for keeping track of the growth of a tagged fish.
  • notjerlnotjerl
    Mabinogi Rep: 585
    edited July 2, 2019
    Helsa, items will still go into bags that aren't set to accept them if bags that are set to accept them are full. I have a bag only set to accept firewood, but it fills up with fish and quest scrolls just like the rest. Most of my bags are set to only accept certain things; NONE of them are set to accept fish (other than technically the Chef's Bag) or quest scrolls, but they all fill up.
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    I'd like some sort of "Tackle box" or whatever to store fishing-related items in, sorta like the alchemy bags and such.
    DraechKensamaofmari
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Yeah, it always makes me sad when I have to drop fish on the ground instead of back in the freaking water. RIP fish population much? :(
    Kensamaofmari
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    @Helsa Those tags do not work that way. To my knowledge, they only assign priorities for which items go where, but are functionally useless to preventing unwanted items from getting in unlike item specific bags.
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    That would actually be useful if we could set what gets released and what gets kept. Say, you're AFK fishing and only want to keep fish over a certain size, or you're deliberately fishing for items and you set it to only keep potions and quest scrolls. A manual catch and release would also be nice, where you can choose to just throw an item back into the sea.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Add a quest to clean up the pollution (all the junk) in the waterways.