Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why Tani is the best

ChojinzokuChojinzoku
Mabinogi Rep: 775
in General Chat
Tani is great for a lot of reasons, but most of all: She's a non-player version of something that's supposed to literally be a synonym for player character. A Miletian.
We've had Miletian NPCs before, but they were side characters, no-name, and had very brief dialogue. Tani is the first fully fleshed out one. And she offers a very special perspective on being a player from someone who isn't a player, which Nexon nailed perfectly. Just the way she's dressed. The way she speaks. Her name. It all feels just so different from everyone else. It all feels like an actual player.
Even better, Tan says she hasn't "been to Erin' in a long time". Which is like code for "haven't loged into Mabi in years".
And her style reflects it, too. She doesn't know where new places like Tara are because they didn't exist last time she played. Her hair style, her clothes, and her face are all things that were new and popular... some years back.
People try and kidnap her, but she's so casual about it and doesn't care. Because as a player, who knows they can't die, and knows that the story is based around them, there'd be no actual reason to care or be worried. She views events happening to her like a spectator, just like we do.
She even calls Piran cute. Which, just like Altam, lots of players do, especially about new NPCs.Altam and Piran have that special kinda "so cuteness" players are drawn to. And Tani doesn't mind just blurting it out, without a care.
Her style of exploring? Just wandering off on her own, no sense or care of any danger, just like we would, and do, when we find new places.
Despite knowing that there are serious issues going on, the next time she meets you, she basically asks how "that quest went". Because to her, it's not the end of the world or anything, or a crisis. It's just another quest.
And finally, she has, and I think, will, offer a deeper, philosophical look at Miletians and how they relate to the world, with all her questioning about death and our morals, as we basically act like judge, jury and executioner, killing whoever w want to.
And last, but not least...

g5kYTdO.png

Tani's faces are of course, the same expressions we can use when we emote.
In short, she's the best thing to ever come out of G23 ♥
MaiaSherriPinkiesandwichKingEphyTheNyanCatLaticija

Comments

• DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    Shakespeare was the very first Milletian to venture into Erinn.
  • roastedpigroastedpig
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,040
    Shakespeare was the very first Milletian to venture into Erinn.

He is, but he's so dramatic xD
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    She was definitely way more down to earth than some of the other Milletians we've seen. Though I forget, are Tin and Fleta Milletians? They've both rebirthed before and Fleta is Tin's aunt despite them being about the same physical age. Their personalities and clothing are also kind of down to earth but Tani is a much deeper look at what it means to be a casual milletian player and less of just an obscure NPC lol
  • PinkiesandwichPinkiesandwich
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,015
    I love tani so much! I wish we had more characters like her...
  • ChojinzokuChojinzoku
    Mabinogi Rep: 775
    I actually forgot about Tin. He does rebirth, so he must be one too. But I still think our little Tani is the first one ever to actually feel like a Miletian. To feel truly like one of us.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    I haven't played for a while, but I sense a new waifu. <3
    THICCthighssavelives
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    Chojinzoku wrote: »
    I actually forgot about Tin. He does rebirth, so he must be one too. But I still think our little Tani is the first one ever to actually feel like a Miletian. To feel truly like one of us.

The AI is learning and advancing. Blending in among us. LFWfO3O.png
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    I still have a feeling that Tani is Shakespeare returning... Could be wrong though.
  • RaishiiRaishii
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,245

If you're into ten-year olds.
    TrythisSherriImaizumi
  • GypsySpiritGypsySpirit
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,340
    I love how she mentions that Piran reminds her of an older druid( I bet the same one we know that "younger" now) gave me a clue as to when she left the game since that's all she Says.
    KingEphy
  • JJJJ
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,400
    Mabi6 wrote: »
    I love how she mentions that Piran reminds her of an older druid( I bet the same one we know that "younger" now) gave me a clue as to when she left the game since that's all she Says.
    I think she was referring to Berched.

When you first meet her she doesn't move or respond to anything. Eventually she says she was away, confusing Marlied. Obviously she was AFK, made me laugh hard.
    roastedpigKingEphyImaizumi
  • roastedpigroastedpig
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,040
    jjeremy wrote: »
    I think she was referring to Berched.

I think she really was referring to Tarlach. She was at the very least around the time when stuff was beginning to go down over there at Iria with Shamala -- well basing on the fact that she's wearing the Winter 2012 Premium Wear...

But then again we already have Tara and Tail around that time so. hm. o.o;
    GypsySpirit
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Lorna and Pan are also milletians, maybe Caravan Joe as well.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited July 8, 2019
    Raishii wrote: »

how dare you waifu-shame him!
    qMdwhG7.png
    Kensamaofmari
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited July 8, 2019

How dare you waifu-shame him!
    5KTThCB.png

Here. Fixed it. Way better now.

KensamaofmariTHICCthighssavelives
    edited July 9, 2019

Why, as a MATTER OF FACT, I...
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

I thought you were into older girls.
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    edited July 9, 2019

She could be an older girl, but just wanted her character as a kid. But, she could also be a 43 year old guy. rPmC9Cv.png
    Never know with them Milletians...
    Kensamaofmari

The girl I love is older by a few years, but she actually exists and calls me "Onii-chan".
    Kensamaofmari
    edited July 9, 2019
    Man, these last few generations are filled with top tier waifus, like Pihne, Marleid, Tani, shirtless Ferghus...
    SherriKensamaofmari