Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Character Cap

SophrielSophriel
Mabinogi Rep: 530
in General Chat
Does anyone else hope for an increase to the character cap like up to 200?
ShoogSherri
  1. Does anyone else hope for an increase to the character cap like up to 200?76 votes
    1. Yes
       75% (57 votes)
    2. No
       25% (19 votes)

Comments

• SophrielSophriel
    Also comments about it *Looking for Sabina* xD
  • CarlizeCarlize
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,840
    Literally don't understand why someone would vote no to that, it's not like it affects them if they're not close to the cap.

I made a thread about this last April, and they did raise it from 150 -> 180, but that's honestly still not enough. To plagiarize my old post with updated information:

Mabinogi needs to raise its character limit. It’s currently 180. Including the Master Pet Box, Astral Pet Box, and Sheeptuplet variants, there were 198 pets and 4 partners. So despite giving 30 more slots, there were still more than 20 unique pets that we didn’t have room for. And since this last thread we've gotten another partner, William, and 10 pets. (Alto, Kokopo, Fez, Tia, Alfie, Candy Broom, Lorna broom, Mir dragon, Scooter Imp, and the white cosmic stallion variant from Meowbinogi) If you include the tuan and reindeer we got from login events, that’s 13 new pets in 9 months.

Add to that the now 7 free character cards new accounts get and 2 assistant character cards and there is a total of 222 unique characters, pushing the count 42 over the limit.

This doesn’t even include any duplicate pets, which people like having due to their usefulness or simply because they’re color selectable and even the same pet can look very different depending on color. Having a character limit is honestly a very bad move on Nexon’s part. Some people like collecting pets for example, and instead of just being able to purchase one of each they have to weigh which ones are worth the character spot. Just from pets I would have purchased and couldn’t due to this, Nexon lost out on about $200 already. This doesn’t even take into account purchasing any more character cards either, which potentially stops people from being able to get the ace training badges from the hero cards as well as being able to store less money in their bank.

People should be able to have at least one of each pet if they desire. I can’t imagine how people who’ve been playing since the start might feel when new pets come out and they have to decide whether it’s worth getting rid of pets that they’ve had for years, and possibly have gotten attached to, to get the new and usually more useful pets. Having the limit raised to at least 250 would help Nexon make more money, but raising it to 300, 500, or just removing it altogether wouldn’t be unreasonable since there just isn’t enough server traffic to warrant such a limit.
    SophrielSpiritikaSherriKiirion
  • SophrielSophriel
    I totally agree.

• HinotamaHinotama
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,420
    I've been playing from the start and I have yet to hit the character cap, but for the people that managed to do so, I see no problem with increasing the character cap.
  • SophrielSophriel
    I have also been playing since the start and I have a total of 149 characters, Well 144 when I delete my characters not on Alexina.
  • FrahaleahFrahaleah
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,680
    edited January 30, 2017
    It all depends on how the data for the character cap is stored. certain sizes allow more room, like for example, a byte can hold between 0-255, but I highly doubt the character data is stored in bytes. I think the reason for the cap is server load stress. I have around 20-25 pets, 11 characters (not all used, mainly for bank increase), and one partner (butler), and it takes the character select around 15 seconds to load fully.
    SylviaWolfeGreta
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited January 30, 2017
    Frahaleah wrote: »
    It all depends on how the data for the character cap is stored. certain sizes allow more room, like for example, a byte can hold between 0-255, but I highly doubt the character data is stored in bytes. I think the reason for the cap is server load stress. I have around 20-25 pets, 11 characters (not all used, mainly for bank increase), and one partner (butler), and it takes the character select around 15 seconds to load fully.

that's why I only have it set to show my only my actual characters at startup XD I have 17 characters so it's still slightly slow though

• CarlizeCarlize
    Arjune wrote: »

that's why I only have it set to show my only my actual characters at startup XD I have 17 characters so it's still slightly slow though

That didn't sound right to me so out of curiosity sake I just tested how long it takes for me personally with and without pets showing. I video recorded myself to check and be it just my 9 characters, or my 9 characters, 5 partners, and 100+ pets it took my computer 5 seconds to load it regardless. And once I was at the title screen if I toggled pets on or off it happened instantly so it seems like the pets load regardless. I'm east coast so I don't have less ping for being in California or whatever and my computer is by no means strong (It's a virtual machine so it really can't be that strong). It sounds like you taking 15 seconds is just your computer.

As for how the data is stored, I really don't know the technicalities of that. However, considering the limit was originally 80 pets way back when the game was new and there were a lot more players, it doesn't seem unreasonable that players around today have ~3x the amount of pets, when there's maybe only 10% of what the population was back then. I might be missing the point of what you said, but from what I understand even with 250 pets per person, that'd still be less space per pet than was originally allocated when the game began, no?
  • DaraeusDaraeus
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,135
    200...hmm :thinking:
  • FrahaleahFrahaleah
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,680
    Carlize wrote: »

That didn't sound right to me so out of curiosity sake I just tested how long it takes for me personally with and without pets showing. I video recorded myself to check and be it just my 9 characters, or my 9 characters, 5 partners, and 100+ pets it took my computer 5 seconds to load it regardless. And once I was at the title screen if I toggled pets on or off it happened instantly so it seems like the pets load regardless. I'm east coast so I don't have less ping for being in California or whatever and my computer is by no means strong (It's a virtual machine so it really can't be that strong). It sounds like you taking 15 seconds is just your computer.

As for how the data is stored, I really don't know the technicalities of that. However, considering the limit was originally 80 pets way back when the game was new and there were a lot more players, it doesn't seem unreasonable that players around today have ~3x the amount of pets, when there's maybe only 10% of what the population was back then. I might be missing the point of what you said, but from what I understand even with 250 pets per person, that'd still be less space per pet than was originally allocated when the game began, no?

Actually, the whole 15 seconds, was just guessing, it was really more like 5 seconds, just felt more like 15 seconds.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,715
    I only keep like 5 characters on my favorites so 5 characters loading up isn't bad at all.
    I'm no where near the cap myself but don't the pets you own also make up the total number?

I also agree. Why would people vote no? It doesn't effect them if they don't want a lot of characters/pets.
    I feel like we have hidden trolls around..
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    Sherri wrote: »

-points at Daraeus- :P

• DaraeusDaraeus
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,135
    Sherri wrote: »

-points at Daraeus- :P

What how. I voted yes. Pls no troll.
    IyasenuPyro
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    I only have about 130 pets and every time I open the pet window (because I can't hotkey all of them, and because I can't remember which pet has which items so I rely on notes) my whole game freezes up for 2 seconds (rendering all the laggy text, I imagine).

Sure we should be allowed to have 900 pets per account, but at some point the game's own limitations is going to put a natural cap on how many pets the client can display without exploding.
    Greta
  • ErorservErorserv
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,695
    The only logical reason I can think of for the limit is that having over 150 would crash the game when viewing all. Maybe they could change the design, only showing the selected character from the sidebar. Or maybe the limit is there to prevent people from spending too much money. Idk. Nexon is weird so there's no telling if or when it'll be changed.
  • CarlizeCarlize
    edited January 30, 2017
    The only logical reason I can think of for the limit is that having over 150 would crash the game when viewing all. Maybe they could change the design, only showing the selected character from the sidebar. Or maybe the limit is there to prevent people from spending too much money. Idk. Nexon is weird so there's no telling if or when it'll be changed.

Well the limit was raised to 180 last year so I'd hope that's not the case lmao. But with what both you and Eralea said about crashing and lagging is completely client-side. I just counted and my total is at 144 pets and I don't experience the lag that was described above.

But Nexon, a for-profit company that's constantly being accused of exploiting the pay-to-win aspect of their game and bleeding their playerbase dry, doesn't want their customers to spend more money on them. That sounds completely believable. But seriously, Nexon is a company and therefore they want to make money, and being their own competition isn't the best method to do so.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    Lets just make it 500 and be done with it. If someone was to exceed that, well, then, that player is just bat poop crazy.
    SherriSophrielCarlize
  • SophrielSophriel

Well the limit was raised to 180 last year so I'd hope that's not the case lmao. But with what both you and Eralea said about crashing and lagging is completely client-side. I just counted and my total is at 144 pets and I don't experience the lag that was described above.

But Nexon, a for-profit company that's constantly being accused of exploiting the pay-to-win aspect of their game and bleeding their playerbase dry, doesn't want their customers to spend more money on them. That sounds completely believable. But seriously, Nexon is a company and therefore they want to make money, and being their own competition isn't the best method to do so.

I completely agree people are working there to get money to feed their families, I mean like we aren't the only ones who need to survive after all.
  • SophrielSophriel
    Gaea wrote: »
    Lets just make it 500 and be done with it. If someone was to exceed that, well, then, that player is just bat poop crazy.

Or rich xD (but tbh that would be me capping 500 probably)
  • VimiVimi
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,390
    Literally don't understand why someone would vote no to that, it's not like it affects them if they're not close to the cap.

Ok honestly I wanted to vote no because I thought they were talking about the Level cap. :x
    Carlize