Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

How Do We Stop Spam?

SdwCdrGhostSdwCdrGhost
Mabinogi Rep: 440
edited July 18, 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions
I'm sure a lot of you Mabinogi-ers (try saying that ten times fast) have encountered these spam bots. I'm kinda sick of them. I was selling stuff and found three in the Dunbarton square at the same time. The seem to prefer Tir Chonaill and Dunbarton in channel 1 but I have many questions. How can we make this community better protected and how can we improve without harming real people. I'll be honest, I know neither and just stopped reporting them. There's just too many of them. I'd like to hear your ideas, there must be something.

Edit: In case you're wondering, my blacklist was a mile long.

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited July 18, 2019
    I'm sure a lot of you Mabinogi-ers (try saying that ten times fast) have encountered these spam bots. I'm kinda sick of them. I was selling stuff and found three in the Dunbarton square at the same time. The seem to prefer Tir Chonaill and Dunbarton in channel 1 but I have many questions. How can we make this community better protected and how can we improve without harming real people. I'll be honest, I know neither and just stopped reporting them. There's just too many of them. I'd like to hear your ideas, there must be something.

We don't. But you needn't be helpless. If your blacklist is full, you're using it wrong. In general, you go to channel 1 only when you need to and stay only as long as you need to. As for blacklisting bots, treat them the same way as music overplaying griefers, blacklist them temporarily. Once you have left dunby square ch 1, they really no longer need to be blacklisted, do they. The only permanent names in your blacklist should be active players that are deliberately targeting you to make you unhappy. If your list is full of years of add-bots, most of them have probably already been filtered by Nexon.
  • SdwCdrGhostSdwCdrGhost
    Helsa wrote: »

We don't. But you needn't be helpless. If your blacklist is full, you're using it wrong. In general, you go to channel 1 only when you need to and stay only as long as you need to. As for blacklisting bots, treat them the same way as music overplaying griefers, blacklist them temporarily. Once you have left dunby square ch 1, they really no longer need to be blacklisted, do they. The only permanent names in your blacklist should be active players that are deliberately targeting you to make you unhappy. If your list is full of years of add-bots, most of them have probably already been filtered by Nexon.

Never thought a blacklist could get full, plus I never had any problems with real players. I guess my point at the end of the day is trying to figure out why Mabi is specifically targeted for spammers instead of more famous games, I wish I could name on off the top of my head, but I feel like there's a secret way to filter them.
  • RaishiiRaishii
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,245

Never thought a blacklist could get full, plus I never had any problems with real players. I guess my point at the end of the day is trying to figure out why Mabi is specifically targeted for spammers instead of more famous games, I wish I could name on off the top of my head, but I feel like there's a secret way to filter them.

All MMOs have spam bots. Even FFXIV has them.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380

Don't get me wrong; they are a pain. But there are only two things you can do about it: (1) complain to Nexon, which you have, and good for you! (2) deal with it until a permanent solution can be developed (if possible). I've outlined, already, how I cope with it.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    You will see no 2 same bots for consecutive days, you'll be fine if you clean your blacklist weekly.
  • SdwCdrGhostSdwCdrGhost
    Raishii wrote: »

I didn't see any in Mobile Strike (You know, that one terrible game that I dumped years ago). I'll just wait until a more permanent solution is passed.
  • DraechDraech
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,390

I didn't see any in Mobile Strike (You know, that one terrible game that I dumped years ago). I'll just wait until a more permanent solution is passed.

If you've played Mobile Strike (which doesn't really count as the same thing), then you've seen their equivalent, the pack loaders.
  • ByffByff
    Mabinogi Rep: 300
    All I know to do is blacklist them too. I don't play that many game besides Mabinogi but this game has 90% more spam bots than anything else. Or at least their chat is more constant and obvious
  • SdwCdrGhostSdwCdrGhost
    Draech wrote: »

If you've played Mobile Strike (which doesn't really count as the same thing), then you've seen their equivalent, the pack loaders.

I don't know what those are