Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Something is going on at Nexon HQ from news

Comments

• Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Greta wrote: »
    I guess they know that Nexon without gachas cant make anything else to work. And since the whole lootbox/gacha thing in games are getting really heated topic lately...

Adapt or die, for those who cannot, will not survive.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Psh, good revenue source?
    The Nexon Rocket Arena forums hadn't even been updated by anyone at Nexon, or uh... who were they again?

Hey, that's what the CEO said from the 1st Quarter Report. Rocket Arena was supposed to be a good revenue source. You can ring him up if you disagree.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Gaea wrote: »
    Wow no one wants to touch Nexon and those that were mildly interested grossly underbid. I can say that this is potentially worse than being bought out. The future of Nexon is looking dim.

I'll have to update the lootbox thread with a new video YongYea made.
    Everyone's bailing ship, even Gaia Online lost investors.

Jesus. :(
    Wow no one wants to touch Nexon and those that were mildly interested grossly underbid. I can say that this is potentially worse than being bought out. The future of Nexon is looking dim.

I'll have to update the lootbox thread with a new video YongYea made.
    Everyone's bailing ship, even Gaia Online lost investors.

Jesus. :(

Another 2 and a half weeks before Nexon releases their Q2 report. But interestingly, Nexon's value has gone up. A share for Nexon stock is now JPY 1735 up about 60% since its 5 year low in December.
    This article from Reuters back on the 7th presented more clear facts in regarding the canceled sale.

PUBLISHED MON, JUL 8 2019 11:27 PM EDT
    Reuters
    Heekyong Yang and Ju-min Park
    gaming deal - sources@ (Corrects adviser’s name in final paragraph to Deutsche Bank)

* Kakao, MBK bids short of Nexon’s expectations - paper

* Transaction could have been worth as much as $16 bln

SEOUL, July 8 (Reuters) - Nexon Co founder Jungju Kim has scrapped plans to sell a controlling stake in its parent NXC, two sources with direct knowledge of the matter said on Monday, scuppering potentially the largest deal in the gaming sector at up to $16 billion.

Kim had been looking to sell the 98.6% stake he and his wife hold in NXC, which in turn owns 48% of Tokyo-listed Nexon.

Since it emerged in January, the sales plan has been dogged by funding challenges, the intricacies of Nexon’s relationship with its biggest customer, China’s Tencent Holdings, and protectionist South Korean sentiments.

“I am not picking a preferred bidder in light of market conditions and others,” its billionaire founder said in an email sent to bidders via adviser Morgan Stanley, South Korean newspaper Joongang Ilbo reported.

The paper reported that big tech giants like Tencent had not joined the bidding, which contributed to the collapse of the deal.

Tencent’s participation was seen as key to any deal, since it owns the exclusive China license for Dungeon Fighter (DNF), Nexon’s most successful game.

Sources said this year that whoever won the bidding for NXC would have to ensure Tencent was cooperative.

Bids from Kakao and MBK Partners fell short of Nexon’s expectations, while Netmarble’s funding capability was in doubt, the paper added.

Nexon, Netmarble and MBK declined to comment. Kakao did not immediately comment on the news, when contacted by Reuters.

Taking into account the market value of Nexon and a takeover premium of 15% - around the standard for other gaming deals, according to Dealogic data - the deal was seen this year as being worth about $16 billion, ranking it among South Korea’s biggest.

Formal bidding for the stake was delayed from mid-May, sources had told Reuters.

“It seems that few bidders have financial capability to buy Nexon with a high price tag,” Lee Mina, an analyst at KTB Securities, said.

She said a dearth of hit games from Nexon since DNF, which was launched in 2005, was one of the “risks” to bidders.

Morgan Stanley was not immediately available for comment, while another adviser, Deutsche Bank, on Monday declined to comment. (Reporting by Heekyong Yang and Ju-min Park, Additional reporting by Anshuman Daga in SINGAPORE, Writing by Hyunjoo Jin; Editing by Himani Sarkar)

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/08/reuters-america-corrected-update-2-nexon-founder-scraps-what-would-have-been-worlds-biggest-gaming-deal--sources.html
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited July 28, 2019
    So lack of hit games, trade wars, and poor bidders indeed led to the auction failure.
    Somehow that matches the Mabinogi in game economy just a little.
    Look at these companies, showing Nexon they ain't competitive enough through lowballing each bid!
    I mean, it's not like the new acquisition could possibly ever go wrong with an ex EA executive on board...
    tumblr_mejc8nTFps1rke0mdo1_250.gif
    So lack of hit games, trade wars, and poor bidders indeed led to the auction failure.
    Somehow that matches the Mabinogi in game economy just a little.
    Look at these companies, showing Nexon they ain't competitive enough through lowballing each bid!
    I mean, it's not like the new acquisition could possibly ever go wrong with an ex EA executive on board...
    tumblr_mejc8nTFps1rke0mdo1_250.gif

But there aren't any trade wars in Mabi lol. Poor bidding definitely.

In some industries, the current economic situation fill push for sale of companies, usually smaller companies being acquired or merged with larger companies, but Nexon is a large company, and since other large companies were not in a position to bid, the smaller bidders did not have to bid as high, but as a result gave not really satisfactory results to proceed with the sale. Everything kind of ended up as a perfect storm and a very fine soup of no sale.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited July 29, 2019
    Honestly, it must be better to be Nexon rather than EA at this moment of loot box fallout.
    The only press Nexon has at the moment is very positive or occasionally cynical by the press, which is good press in 2019.
    (So much better press.)
    More YongYea video, because why not.

NEXON Foundation to display the 25th anniversary of Korean online games 'game play / invite you_'
    Article

Investment in Gaming Ventures Shrinks Despite Growing Investment in Venture Firms
    Article
    Honestly, it must be better to be Nexon rather than EA at this moment of loot box fallout.
    The only press Nexon has at the moment is very positive or occasionally cynical by the press, which is good press in 2019.
    (So much better press.)
    More YongYea video, because why not.

NEXON Foundation to display the 25th anniversary of Korean online games 'game play / invite you_'
    Article

Investment in Gaming Ventures Shrinks Despite Growing Investment in Venture Firms
    Article

The current situation makes it hard to invest, especially when the market is mostly an oligopoly of a few companies and their subsidiaries.
    The market has a lot of room to grow, but the question is whether the current system will actually be beneficial for the market.
    SherriWolfsingerDarkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited July 31, 2019
    The current situation makes it hard to invest, especially when the market is mostly an oligopoly of a few companies and their subsidiaries.
    The market has a lot of room to grow, but the question is whether the current system will actually be beneficial for the market.

Speaking of market, there are times when a market is so over saturated, that companies begin to wonder why they're losing money.
    It has been and always will be when your marketing team displays themselves as uneducated and incompetent parrots by sticking to the same rotting, broken wheel called "popular tactics." (Not that I'm looking at Nexon or anything... *cough*)
    Such as Rockstar's GTAOnline. Good luck with that one. You're going to need it as the monopoly check looms closer by the year.

More cheeky Youtuber videos:

And let's not forget Nexon's doof up last year:
    giphy.gif

Eh, that's nothing considering their revenue.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited July 31, 2019
    Eh, that's nothing considering their revenue.

Surprise, Ferghus! Yeah, sure... Bills are real cute at first, aren't they?
    If Nexon wasn't listening before Belgium, they better be prepared. Uncle Sam don't kid around with child safety.
    I'd like some new blood to read the entire thing and let me know what they think this could do to Nexon's company loot box dependency within a month of remodel unpreparedness for the Cash Shop.
    Nexon as a company of course, no need to make this a discussion about Mabinogi's future at the moment of this lawmaking process.
    (This will likely be the last topic I can discuss here until Nexon gets more press.)
    S.1629 - A bill to regulate certain pay-to-win microtransactions and sales of loot boxes in interactive digital entertainment products, and for other purposes.

Personally, here's my thoughts:
    So essentially everything Nexon has built in the Cash Shop for all these years are at risk of vanishing entirely if this bill passes.
    Have they learned nothing from Belgium? I find it odd there hasn't been any press release tackling that topic as of late.
    On a plus side, there seems to be talk of a written notice advising you take action beforehand.

(i) DIFFICULTY MODES.—Such term shall not include an add-on transaction to an interactive digital entertainment product that provides the user with access to a new mode of play that makes progression through the content of the product more difficult than it would be without the transaction (as perceived by a reasonable user).
    Well, goodbye Passes. Hello more event drops.

(ii) COSMETIC ALTERATIONS.—Such term shall not include an add-on transaction to an interactive digital entertainment product whose only effect is to alter a user's visual representation within the game provided that it does not, from the perspective of a reasonable user, provide the user with a competitive advantage over other users who do not make such transaction.
    Goodbye status effects on clothing. Devcat's entire game will have to be re-scripted for the NA release.
    I certainly hope Nexon KR has the funds and time for that.

(I) eases a user’s progression through content otherwise available within the product without the purchase of such transaction;
    Goodbye Soul Stones and all manner of Potions/Revives. Hello more event drops.

As far as (impending) law goes, I hope Nexon/Mabinogi NA staff have a good relationship with KR.
    They might be in the red once again, not that any capable business chain has a problem with that.
    I still hope Nexon NA has money, though. If they can't change themselves, they could find themselves in quite the pinch.
    I'm just glad that I saw some of the testing footage from Peria Chronicles, and Nexon appears to have made the costumes 100% statless.
    It would be nice to start seeing that same presence of statless items in Mabinogi gachapons by the time this bill gets passed on.
    (Just for safety's sake.)
    Reprogramming gachapon/loot box items into standalone items in the Cash Shop is the easy part.
    Removing those stats and re-balancing gameplay is going to be difficult. It'll need both Nexon KR's money and most, if not all of their time.
    source.gif
    Sherri
    Belgium is insignificant.
    Darkpixie99
    Oh boy, more tariffs coming. Bunker in everyone, it's gonna be a bumpy 2nd half of the year.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Oh boy, more tariffs coming. Bunker in everyone, it's gonna be a bumpy 2nd half of the year.

Eh, thought we could use a meme after this trade war officially kicked off.
    Cg_3msYWwAAiI4h.jpg

Cg_3msYWwAAiI4h.jpg

Proceeds to become the most taxed country in the world mwahahahaha!
    Darkpixie99
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615

Cg_3msYWwAAiI4h.jpg

And still, my opinion of "ENGLAND TAKE US BACK" is super unpopular and controversial. *Sighs in Anglophile*

Anyway, idk economics.. at all.. but it's still interesting to keep in check on this thread
    Also it's good to keep tabs on what Nexon KR is up to.
    KensamaofmariDarkpixie99
    Sherri wrote: »

Cg_3msYWwAAiI4h.jpg

And still, my opinion of "ENGLAND TAKE US BACK" is super unpopular and controversial. *Sighs in Anglophile*

Anyway, idk economics.. at all.. but it's still interesting to keep in check on this thread
    Also it's good to keep tabs on what Nexon KR is up to.

Nexon's 2nd Quarter earnings out next week.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited August 2, 2019
    Nevermind, not our Nexon. Will see if I can find something from NXC this time.

Massive Multiplayer Online (MMO) Games Market Size, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2024
    Article
    Nevermind, not our Nexon. Will see if I can find something from NXC this time.

Massive Multiplayer Online (MMO) Games Market Size, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2024
    Article

Why a subscription based 5 year outlook?