Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Fantastic Memory - Patch Notes - August 15th

Comments

• Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited August 16, 2019
    Sherri wrote: »
    Was the "Gypsy" talent title supposed to be taken away?
    "Wondering Bard" is ok, but I loved the gypsy title

They changed it?! Woow.. I actually was quite fond of that hidden talent title. :/

I liked that title too.
    I wonder if Gypsy could be used for a Dance talent all on it's own. (And separate Dance of Death from Music talent in the process.)
    Unfortunately, the future will have to wait and see.
    Veylaine wrote: »
    Crims wrote: »

Gypsy is NOT a bad word. Wth.

true its a not common slur at all here in the states but this mabi branch is basically an international branch and they do care about other regions, otherwise they would not of made a gacha announcement to Belgium players. Its a slur against the roma people, mostly because it was used by other groups other than them and usually not in a good way.

It kind of makes the term "Gypsy Camp" dead to the world of fantasy.
    I mean if it's taken as a word for a tribe of wanderers, then it's fine.
    As long as Nexon doesn't state that it's a slur otherwise, then it's not a slur, but a reclaimed and historically correct word.
    All this political correctness depresses me greatly.
    VeylaineKensamaofmariWolfsingerSherri
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,050
    edited August 16, 2019

They changed it?! Woow.. I actually was quite fond of that hidden talent title. :/

I liked that title too.
    I wonder if Gypsy could be used for a Dance talent all on it's own. (And separate Dance of Death from Music talent in the process.)

true its a not common slur at all here in the states but this mabi branch is basically an international branch and they do care about other regions, otherwise they would not of made a gacha announcement to Belgium players. Its a slur against the roma people, mostly because it was used by other groups other than them and usually not in a good way.

As long as Nexon doesn't state that it's a slur otherwise, then it's not a slur, but a reclaimed and historically correct word.

Probably because, now at least in europe it has a double meaning depending on how its used; so being reclaimed is kind of iffy in this time. True they don't state its a slur but why remove it? For me I knew its history and the current issues with it but it didn't bother me since you know im not part of that group, I was surprised though there were enough people for NX to change it. I wonder how of those complaints were actually romani themselves.
    Darkpixie99
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

I liked that title too.

Probably because, now at least in europe it has a double meaning depending on how its used; so being reclaimed is kind of iffy in this time. True they don't state its a slur but why remove it? For me I knew its history and the current issues with it, I was surprised though there were enough people for NX to change it. I wonder how of those complaints were actually romani themselves.

It's an overly sensitive world we live in right now. Everything is dry kindling that can spark huge flames.
    Darkpixie99Wolfsinger
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited August 16, 2019

I liked that title too.

Probably because, now at least in europe it has a double meaning depending on how its used; so being reclaimed is kind of iffy in this time. True they don't state its a slur but why remove it? For me I knew its history and the current issues with it, I was surprised though there were enough people for NX to change it. I wonder how of those complaints were actually romani themselves.

In this era, it's likely the infamous screechers with no actual historical context, or money to offer a game they take casual interest in.
    Asking Mabinogi, a game based off Celtic mythos to erase the term of Gypsies, is a huge hit of historical rudeness and intolerance of Celtic/Irish mythos.
    If NX wanted to be politically correct, it's not a good idea to do it so late in Mabinogi's life cycle, especially at a time when loot boxes are already low in demand. They bend the knee to something so inane one more time, and users could boycott them further.
    Replacing the "Gypsy" title with "Wandering Bard" is technically correct in terms of time and location.
    However, what's the purpose of hosting Gypsy NPCs, if there's no first title for their camp to offer?
    (They gave some backstory about themselves, but not much.)
    If gypsies in Mabinogi are a camp of bards, and users have been fine with the term for the past years of existence... then why change it at all?
    It appears to be culturally acceptable, so I'd have to agree, it feels far too out of place to change so suddenly.
    It's an overly sensitive world we live in right now. Everything is dry kindling that can spark huge flames.

This is the time when you'd say as a company: "We designed the anime style fantasy game according to Celtic mythos, therefore the current era of definitions cannot, and do not apply. If there are any historians who wish to discuss any inaccuracies or errors we made, you may contact us through the ticket system." And then that's it.
    Wolfsinger

I liked that title too.

In this era, it's likely the infamous screechers with no actual historical context, or money to offer a game they take casual interest in.
    Asking Mabinogi, a game based off Celtic mythos to erase the term of Gypsies, is a huge hit of historical rudeness and intolerance of Celtic/Irish mythos.
    If NX wanted to be politically correct, it's not a good idea to do it so late in Mabinogi's life cycle, especially at a time when loot boxes are already low in demand. They bend the knee to something so inane one more time, and users could boycott them further.
    Replacing the "Gypsy" title with "Wandering Bard" is technically correct in terms of time and location.
    However, what's the purpose of hosting Gypsy NPCs, if there's no first title for their camp to offer?
    (They gave some backstory about themselves, but not much.)
    If gypsies in Mabinogi are a camp of bards, and users have been fine with the term for the past years of existence... then why change it at all?
    It appears to be culturally acceptable, so I'd have to agree, it feels far too out of place to change so suddenly.

This is the time when you'd say as a company: "We designed the anime style fantasy game according to Celtic mythos, therefore the current era of definitions cannot, and do not apply. If there are any historians who wish to discuss any inaccuracies or errors we made, you may contact us through the ticket system." And then that's it.

So I guess we'll be having druid sacrifices of children now?
    Darkpixie99Radiant Dawn
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,765
    "Fixed an issue where the sound was very loud when your inventory and bag were opened simultaneously." just noticed that in the patch notes. it sure is taking me a while to get used to hearing almost nothing when I open my inventory. still a good improvement but probably going to be a month before I am completely used to it.
    Negumiko wrote: »
    "Fixed an issue where the sound was very loud when your inventory and bag were opened simultaneously." just noticed that in the patch notes. it sure is taking me a while to get used to hearing almost nothing when I open my inventory. still a good improvement but probably going to be a month before I am completely used to it.

Well at least you're not getting an "earful."
    (NationalTellAJokeDay)
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited August 16, 2019

I liked that title too.

The Holocaust called.
    Mierin wrote: »
    Oh man, please kill the [Normal] thing getting attached to every message.
    God, yes, please. That is an EYESORE.

I liked that title too.

The Holocaust called.

Those were also dark times.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited August 16, 2019
    So I guess we'll be having druid sacrifices of children now?
    It's an anime style fantasy game. So while it doesn't have to happen, Nexon could always end up doing it anyways.
    (As a backstory, of course.)
    I mean between Mari and Triona, child death (or Young Tarlach's constant threat of second death) already plays a part in the rebirth cycle.
    So yeah. I'd say child death is pretty much much already kind of there.

Kensamaofmari
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165

I mean honestly, the word gypsy is the last of their concerns right now. Pepper spray sales have exploded over there. 9dnGeIh.png
    VeylaineDarkpixie99
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Trying to remind USA players that this is an international server is a futile effort.

Last time I tried I only got "LOL NO THIS IS THE NORTH MURICAN SERVER GO AWAY"
    VeylaineWolfsingerGretaDraech
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Eralea wrote: »
    Trying to remind USA players that this is an international server is a futile effort.

Well this is Nexon NA, and the server resides on US soil...
  • WliaWlia
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,205
    Katherz wrote: »
    You can now live preview dyes on your equipped equipment when selecting a dye color in the dye window!
    ok i really love that feature its super handy <3

• Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited August 18, 2019

Well this is Nexon NA, and the server resides on US soil...

To be honest, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nexon KR decides to self regulate and distribute all their games on a global scale.
    Adding in translations/lootbox shop which adjust based on IP address or language settings is easier from their side, and requires less global communication than it does research or effort.
    There's plenty of worse terms used by China against Japan.
    So censoring one small word that hasn't had as long as a historical definition, let alone a reputation as a slur, shouldn't be prioritized anyways.
    That's the kind of point we're trying to make here-
    It's not that we don't respect other countries...
    It's more like it's a waste of the KR developer's time in developing the actual game, in order to remove a title that has been accepted by the local community for so long.
    While asking the KR devs to give us a new "the Honorary Gypsy" title as an optional side quest would be satisfactory, we can also live without it for a while.

Oh, and if the Gypsy Talent was truly a problem for any user:
    Go read the Options
    and then you wouldn't have had to have seen it.
    2ikqqv.jpg

*Edit*
    Made a Feedback thread, if a vmod needs to do some moving of off topic comments.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited August 18, 2019

Nexon North America is only obligated to serve the U.S. populace.

There's plenty of worse terms used by China against Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanjing_Massacre
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited August 19, 2019

And thanks to the historically constant, and often brutal back and forth of countries, we have Hetalia.
    But on a serious note, there's worse things out there for Nexon to fear about utilizing, rather than the nomadic use for "gypsy."
    32192-hetalia-china-meets-japan-episode-screencap-1x16.jpg
    China and Japan in a nutshell:

The topic is so out of order now.
    WolfsingerDarkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    The topic is so out of order now.

Only topic that matters here is that this line is officially cannon:
    Fashionogi Improvements

Oh, and that we finally have a live preview for dyes.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Unpopular opinion: I actually miss the old sound of opening my 15+ bags.
    Darkpixie99