Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Something is going on at Nexon HQ from news

Comments

• PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Crims wrote: »
    Release VIP now! WE CAN HELP BOOST THOSE NUMBERS UP NEXON. Jesus bleeping christ. We're not dumb! We see whats going on. I'VE BEEN THROUGH "RESTRUCTURES". Don't give me that bs, I know whats going down here. They are shaving down your workforce and before you know it there won't be enough left of you to do anything about it!! Companies do this on purpose over the course of a few years before they do the thing we are not allowed to talk about on here!

They do this so you won't become suspicious before it finally happens. But even if you ask your higher ups, they will lie to you about it. They will say everything is fine when it's not.

:(

Ummm...guys...this was just sent to me.

ff60313e97.png

I am bleeping bricks now.

giphy.gif

Brace for impact.

Lindsey/Moneko/NKeona was a nice girl, but soon fell sway to what a lot of GMs end up becoming.

Amy (I assume mewlynne) was the only GM that didn't seem like an utter disappointment.

As for the closing of the division, does it really affect Mabinogi? I mean, QA (which I assume is Quality Assurance) must've been absent, and I haven't seen ANY marketing for Mabinogi since a random ad on writing.com promoting G7 back in 2009. Well, that's the last one I remember clearly.
    Kensamaofmari
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited August 7, 2019
    I don't see ads because I and many other people around the world use adblock. So they may have been advertising, it's just no one sees it. I mean I don't even watch cable TV anymore, I cancelled it a long time ago because I can watch what I want to watch without ads or commercials online. The only time I hear about any Nexon game is through youtuber reviews if I even bother to watch them and those are very sparse and sometimes negative - that doesn't help either lol. I can see the problem on the marketing end and it doesn't help when they keep shoving gacha down our throats for any revenue.
    Darkpixie99
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Crims wrote: »
    I don't see ads because I and many other people around the world use adblock. So they may have been advertising, it's just no one sees it. I mean I don't even watch cable TV anymore, I cancelled it a long time ago because I can watch what I want to watch without ads or commercials online. The only time I hear about any Nexon game is through youtuber reviews if I even bother to watch them and those are very sparse and sometimes negative - that doesn't help either lol. I can see the problem on the marketing end and it doesn't help when they keep shoving gacha down our throats for any revenue.

The ever changing landscape of advertisement and the battles to regulate advertisements will affect businesses going forward.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited August 7, 2019
    Disney didn't reject Nexon for being out of demand so to speak, but because they're in a current boycott outlash of the "get woke go broke" frame of logic. (And costly spending, and loss of profits, and hyper inflated toys.)
    Club Penguin was the largest virtual licence Disney ever had, they threw it away, and more licensing would only harm themselves further.
    Aside from that, NXC has far more grip than as far as the video game industry. They have too much financial responsibility, and do indeed need to trim.
    The problem with Mabinogi advertisement is that it can be utilized, but can also backfire and cause loss of profit and a waste of investment.
    Nexon KR is most definitely focused on launching mobile apps in KR this year.
    Whether they intend to localize everything they produce is something we'll have to wait until 2020 to see.
    After all, like everyone keeps bring to attention: Gachapons are loot boxes, and loot boxes are under legislative watch in the USA.

S.1629 - A bill to regulate certain pay-to-win microtransactions and sales of loot boxes in interactive digital entertainment products, and for other purposes.
    Nonetheless Disney had and probably still has interest in the gaming industry, but it wasn't on their top priority. With the ever changing economic situation, I believe it is the right choice for them to focus on the assets they acquired recently to start making money rather than to continue to spend on what may be too much food for the belly.

With Nexon moving to acquire the majority stake in Embark this week just days before 2nd Quarter Earnings, followed by the planned increase of 1.4 million stock shares, it could be a hint at what Nexon plans to do in the future.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Nonetheless Disney had and probably still has interest in the gaming industry, but it wasn't on their top priority. With the ever changing economic situation, I believe it is the right choice for them to focus on the assets they acquired recently to start making money rather than to continue to spend on what may be too much food for the belly.

With Nexon moving to acquire the majority stake in Embark this week just days before 2nd Quarter Earnings, followed by the planned increase of 1.4 million stock shares, it could be a hint at what Nexon plans to do in the future.

To be honest, I'm a little afraid that the cost of NXC backing Embark will/could outweigh the profit/benefits.
    The guy who runs it is a ex EA executive, after all. There's no telling what could happen in the long run.

To be honest, I'm a little afraid that the cost of NXC backing Embark will/could outweigh the profit/benefits.
    The guy who runs it is a ex EA executive, after all. There's no telling what could happen in the long run.

Of course that's where a controlling majority acquisition may help because Nexon would be able to make necessary changes as they see fit.
    Quoting a section from this article from theGamer
    https://www.thegamer.com/nexon-developer-closes-offices-september/

"It’s hard to imagine that Nexon is having any financial troubles given the amount of money that it earns each year off of Maplestory alone, but it’s a good sign that the company is being proactive despite its financial gains. Too often are there stories about gaming developers going bankrupt because they didn't act soon enough."

"According to Games Industry, the company closed one of its offices in Los Angeles, which was its second office closure in the area in less than a month. While the exact number of affected workers isn't known, Chris Jung, production manager for Nexon America, stated on Twitter that: 'Due to a restructure at #Nexon America, they have closed the Division Partners Office in LA. A number of people, including myself, are now looking for new opportunities.'"

"Nexon commented that these actions were taken to consolidate its mobile and PC/console business in an effort to provide better support for both. The company went on to begin the process of acquiring Embark Studios, commenting that its newly acquired property will handle its western development strategy.

Nexon's comments, as well as the fact that the company has acquired Embark Studios, speaks volumes about its confidence in Nexon America. If the statements are to be believed, it's safe to say that the company didn't feel that key members at Nexon America were fulfilling their duties in a satisfactory manner."
    SebastianWolfsinger
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Disney didn't reject Nexon for being out of demand so to speak, but because they're in a current boycott outlash of the "get woke go broke" frame of logic. (And costly spending, and loss of profits, and hyper inflated toys.)
    Club Penguin was the largest virtual licence Disney ever had, they threw it away, and more licensing would only harm themselves further.
    Aside from that, NXC has far more grip than as far as the video game industry. They have too much financial responsibility, and do indeed need to trim.
    The problem with Mabinogi advertisement is that it can be utilized, but can also backfire and cause loss of profit and a waste of investment.
    Whether they intend to localize everything they produce is something we'll have to wait until 2020 to see.
    After all, like everyone keeps bring to attention: Gachapons are loot boxes, and loot boxes are under legislative watch in the USA.

S.1629 - A bill to regulate certain pay-to-win microtransactions and sales of loot boxes in interactive digital entertainment products, and for other purposes.

Oh, god, please, keep Disney FAR away from anything else.
    Darkpixie99
    edited August 7, 2019

Oh, god, please, keep Disney FAR away from anything else.

If you have Hulu, better get rid of it. :D jkjk
    Nexon Earnings Report
    https://pdf.irpocket.com/C3659/hUeO/AOiZ/g9tN.pdf

No remarks on Mabi, so we shouldn't expect too much changes.

What I see is that Nexon is more confident in its mobile game success though.

In North America, they reported revenue of of 4 billion Yen or about $3.767 million USD.
    It's a 24% increase from last year's 2nd quarter but a decline of 4% from the 1st quarter.
    Important to note that Nexon usually does poorly in the 2nd (Spring) Quarter.

For the first half of 2019, North America saw an increase of 12% in revenue versus last year's first 6 months.

North America Highlights
    "North America
    Outperformance driven by stronger-thanexpected performance of OVERHIT. Both PC2
    and mobile business grew year-over-year.
    • Revenues grew year-over-year primarily driven by
    contributions from Darkness Rises, MapleStory M,
    and AxE launched in/or after Q2 2018; OVERHIT
    launched in May.
    • Year-over-year growth partially offset by
    deceleration of Choices"

PC game revenue was 889 million Yen this quarter. Last quarter's PC revenue was 740 million. Last year's 2nd Q PC revenue was 569 million.

Quarter 3 Outlook
    "North America
    Expect year-over-year decrease due to Choices2
    as well as MapleStory M and Darkness Rises due
    to high comps in Q3 2018 – the quarter right
    after/in which service began"

A few lines from the Dividends report
    https://pdf.irpocket.com/C3659/hUeO/AOiZ/wYku.pdf

"For the three months ended June 30, 2019, revenue grew year-over-year driven by the growth of our businesses
    in Korea, Japan, North America and other regions, despite the unfavorable effect of the foreign exchange rates,
    with the Japanese yen appreciating year-over-year against the major foreign currencies in our business"

"North America, revenue increased year-over-year driven by positive contributions from
    OVERHIT launched in Q2 2019, in addition to Darkness Rises, MapleStory M and AxE, which were launched in
    and after Q2 2018. These positive contributions more than offset the year-over-year decrease in revenue from
    Choices: Stories You Play ("Choices"). In other regions, revenue increased year-over-year driven by positive
    contributions from MapleStory M, Moonlight Blade in Taiwan, and AxE, which were launched in and after Q3 2018,
    as well as OVERHIT launched in Q2 2019. "

"Revenue for the six months ended June 30, 2019 amounted to ¥8,578 million (down 10.9% year-over-year),
    and segment loss amounted to ¥2,998 million (segment loss of ¥3,411 million for the six months ended June 30,
    2018)"

The decrease came from mobile.

"In North America, we expect revenue to decrease year-over-year due to deceleration of Choices, in addition to
    MapleStory M and Darkness Rises facing comparisons with Q3 2018, which was a quarter just after their launch."

Note: North America includes US,Canada, Mexico only.

So there is no mention of Mabi or its restructure in NA. They do mention expecting a decrease in revenue for the summer quarter due to these changes from the mobile games section.

Q3 Report will release Nov 7.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited August 19, 2019
    Nexon grows revenues thanks to FIFA, MapleStory, and Dungeon & Fighter Article

Makes sense that loot box gamble mania- oops, I mean FIFA... would be making Nexon some cash money.

Nexon will fully acquire Embark Studios Article
    “We are very excited about the value and potential that Nexon’s acquisition of Embark unlocks,” said Owen Mahoney, president and chief executive officer of Nexon, in a press release sent to GamesBeat. “Bringing Embark fully into the Nexon family will tightly integrate Nexon’s expertise in live operations and Embark’s capability of creating hit games that resonate globally to powerfully drive and accelerate delivering players great games designed to live on for years.”

Nexon recruits 'Dungeon Fighter Online' developer as savior Article
    Nexon founder Kim Jung-ju has decided to recruit Hur Min, a developer of popular online game "Dungeon Fighter Online" and founder of WeMakePrice, to spearhead the reorganization of Korea's largest game maker after his failed bid to sell the company, according to industry officials Wednesday.

Nexon's absence to tarnish G-Star 2019 Article
    The decision was construed as part of the firm's ongoing efforts to reorganize after Nexon founder Kim Jung-ju, who is now CEO of Nexon's holding company NXC, tried and failed to sell control of NXC.
    The company is now moving to reorganize its business structure by integrating units in charge of PC online games and mobile games.
    "It is regrettable that we will not be able to communicate with users at G-Star this year, but we will do our best to release better games and services," a Nexon official said.

Business Translation: People are getting fired so we can move new people in who do the same things; who we think are better, and cooler.
    Nexon grows revenues thanks to FIFA, MapleStory, and Dungeon & Fighter Article

Makes sense that loot box gamble mania- oops, I mean FIFA... would be making Nexon some cash money.

Nexon will fully acquire Embark Studios Article
    “We are very excited about the value and potential that Nexon’s acquisition of Embark unlocks,” said Owen Mahoney, president and chief executive officer of Nexon, in a press release sent to GamesBeat. “Bringing Embark fully into the Nexon family will tightly integrate Nexon’s expertise in live operations and Embark’s capability of creating hit games that resonate globally to powerfully drive and accelerate delivering players great games designed to live on for years.”

Nexon recruits 'Dungeon Fighter Online' developer as savior Article
    Nexon founder Kim Jung-ju has decided to recruit Hur Min, a developer of popular online game "Dungeon Fighter Online" and founder of WeMakePrice, to spearhead the reorganization of Korea's largest game maker after his failed bid to sell the company, according to industry officials Wednesday.

Nexon's absence to tarnish G-Star 2019 Article
    The decision was construed as part of the firm's ongoing efforts to reorganize after Nexon founder Kim Jung-ju, who is now CEO of Nexon's holding company NXC, tried and failed to sell control of NXC.
    The company is now moving to reorganize its business structure by integrating units in charge of PC online games and mobile games.
    "It is regrettable that we will not be able to communicate with users at G-Star this year, but we will do our best to release better games and services," a Nexon official said.

Business Translation: People are getting fired so we can move new people in who do the same things; who we think are better, and cooler.

Basically summarizing what we already knew.
    Consolidation of all its offices in NA into 1, which as a result will cut staff, as the focus of resources will be thrown into Embark. All else, relatively the same.
    Darkpixie99Wolfsinger
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited August 19, 2019
    Consolidation of all its offices in NA into 1, which as a result will cut staff, as the focus of resources will be thrown into Embark. All else, relatively the same.

All of Nexon's eggs are in one basket, there are smiles all around...
    And all it takes is one slip up. (Or say a certain bill to be passed, for it all to come tumbling down.)
    So wise, and yet so risky of a move that it's dumb. Each month seems to be closer to either industry self regulation, or governmental intervention.

FTC News
    (Look under transcripts.)

All of Nexon's eggs are in one basket, there are smiles all around...
    And all it takes is one slip up. (Or say a certain bill to be passed, for it all to come tumbling down.)
    So wise, and yet so risky of a move that it's dumb. Each month seems to be closer to either industry self regulation, or governmental intervention.

FTC News
    (Look under transcripts.)

Nah, stop being so alarmist.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99

I'm just saying, "Never have all your eggs in one basket" exists for a reason.
    And if that reason is that loot boxes become unprofitable due to harsher self regulation or legislation, then there's one egg out the window.

I'm just saying, "Never have all your eggs in one basket" exists for a reason.
    And if that reason is that loot boxes become unprofitable due to harsher self regulation or legislation, then there's one egg out the window.

Well, they haven't put them all in one basket, they're sending them to Sweden to be pickled.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Well, they haven't put them all in one basket, they're sending them to Sweden to be pickled.

Funniest part is that the first thing that pops up on google using the keywords "Swedish pickled" is herring.

Funniest part is that the first thing that pops up on google using the keywords "Swedish pickled" is herring.

Is it? I mean that was what I was trying to imply the whole time.
    Darkpixie99
    Here's something I have an interest in to seeing if Nexon's sales change. Due to the various trade wars, many economists and data have shown the economic growth so far has been held up by consumers and continued consumer spending. But as waves of new tariffs are expected to hit September 1 in the US and then December 15, would this affect consumer spending choices on various services including gaming?

Will consumers be forced to make the decision to cut back on either material goods consumption or service consumption?

It will be an interesting rest of the final 2 quarters this year to see if consumer behavior shifts. We might see a sudden increase in spending on goods with tariffs on hold until December, but will that change spending on services?

From Nexon's Q2 report, they're expecting overall decrease in revenue for the 3rd quarter, (which are usually low revenue quarters) but they seem to be bracing for damage for now. But what I'm interested is what kind of shifts we'll see in revenue in NA, especially when PC console gaming revenue for Nexon increased by a good margin while mobile game revenue fell.

It will be interesting to see if there will be a bigger impact from economical/geopolitical changes or from company restructuring.
    Darkpixie99