Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Bring Back The Gypsy Talent Title

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    They should use jester.
    Jester is a nice title, and there's already jester clothes out there.
    But... Jester is more commonly used as "a royal clown," and I don't think there are any Prankster talents, or any relateable skills.
    Unless you were to earn it by pranking the Alban Knights in Avalon. (While bearing Adventure/Bard Talent Title)

I mean if there were path choices for talents, it might work.
    Darkpixie99Suu
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    Negumiko wrote: »
    make it stay Master Wandering Bard by default and allow players to go into settings and select a option to make it show Master Gypsy instead. only players who change this setting will see the Master Gypsy talent and everyone else will still see Master Wandering Bard unless they have selected the option as well. that way players who actually in enjoy the Master Gypsy talent title can still use it without offending other players. something like that would solve most of the problem. personally I loved the Master Gypsy talent title and never considered a slur or insult in mabi, but instead saw it as a interesting culture that made mabi feel more unique and accurate since it is a game in medieval times. sad to see that talent title go.

I would love this idea, this is an amazing idea.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    Negumiko wrote: »
    make it stay Master Wandering Bard by default and allow players to go into settings and select a option to make it show Master Gypsy instead. only players who change this setting will see the Master Gypsy talent and everyone else will still see Master Wandering Bard unless they have selected the option as well. that way players who actually in enjoy the Master Gypsy talent title can still use it without offending other players. something like that would solve most of the problem. personally I loved the Master Gypsy talent title and never considered a slur or insult in mabi, but instead saw it as a interesting culture that made mabi feel more unique and accurate since it is a game in medieval times. sad to see that talent title go.

I would love this idea, this is an amazing idea.

If it is hard coded to do that then, regardless of whether people see it or not, it is in the game and so it is a problem. Perhaps it would be better, instead of having a ready made private name to just allow folks to rename any talent how they'd like, subject to the language filter. This frees Nexon legally and allows people to come up with anything they want.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited August 20, 2019
    Draech wrote: »
    While I understand most people didn't mind the title (and neither do I), fact is gypsy is a culturally-charged term, in much the same way as the word indian. Originally, it referred to a group of people who were mistaken for another culture (Romani for Egyptians, Native Americans for Indians), and have been treated as such. Even if some of them embrace the term, and even if it's no longer relevant today, a lot of history lies with the word.

For example, indian, when referring to something relating to Native Americans, is still too charged to be used for anything. A Talent Title like "Master Indian" can still offend and carries significant history, even if it would be historically appropriate in medieval Ireland, and even in a fantasy game.

You can't always assume words like "Indian" and "Gypsy" to be inherently negative.

The N-word, on the other hand, is. That's why the blacks use a version ending with an "a", to differentiate it from the original slur.
    Eralea wrote: »
    Tbh I don't see much chance of Nexon changing it back. Should they bring back a title that offends a minority just because the majority doesn't view it as being offensive? It wouldn't look very professional if they flip-flopped on this one.

For one, why would anyone who pops into a fantasy world (who would like to embrace the culture of a gypsy) even if it's via a NPC's side story, want to see that word gone?
    By erasing gypsy, you erase not just a name for more than just a race, but an entire culture of nomads who proudly embrace(d) the wanderer lifestyle.
    Gypsies have been known as fortune tellers, pottery repairers, and so very many positive things.
    And yet people are offended through associating the term with the negative interactions. Interactions which happened so very many years ago.
    Nexon is not responsible for those types of misunderstandings, nor were they around to witness or encourage that.
    However, they can change that negative association by turning The Bard Camp into a more focused side quest experience on the struggles and life of not just one, but all the Bard Camp NPCs.

They're not a completely nomadic tribe. There are many trying to settle down, but it's political systems that force them to move. I would say they should care if their name is being used for business purposes, but they're not going to see any benefit from it.

The lack of profitability is precisely why they should stay out of it.
    If anything, Nexon could have reached out to them instead, and asked them if they could set up a website in order to tell the story of as many tribes as possible.
    While they are nomads, and this is a world of technology, the only way they can make money is by setting up some sort of shop.
    That's just how life always is. Adaptation and survival, and nomadic lifestyle is no exception to that rule, just as a business who likewise cannot adapt to changing trends.

If they haven't joined another country as officially their citizens, they're stateless without official representation. Who would you reach out to? Go contact every single person and conduct a poll? that's not feasible.
    Eralea wrote: »
    I’d derank dual guns and be an Expert American

Taking suggestions on what I should do with my newfound expertise in Americana

You sure you don't want a "Yakuza" title instead? I hear that culture is popular in anime, at least.

"the one who made America Great Again." for luls

Again, a racially charged term.

That's not how Reagan used it, but everything about Trump screams "white supremacy".
    Darkpixie99Suu
  • HelsaHelsa
    That's why the blacks use a version ending with an "a", to differentiate it from the original slur.

Would black people make that distinction if someone from outside their community used this version, with an a, to their face?

• Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited August 20, 2019
    Helsa wrote: »
    That's why the blacks use a version ending with an "a", to differentiate it from the original slur.

Would black people make that distinction if someone from outside their community used this version, with an a, to their face?

Helsa, think of it this way:
    Men often teach boys that modern street smarts dictate that it's a bad idea for men to decide to wear a handkerchief out on his butt's belt.
    Why they do that is, well... I'd have to tell you not to Google it. Even if it's something from the past, modern LGBTQ culture kept it in that loop.
    It works the same for white men calling them black boys N's on the streets.
    They won't do it unless
    A- They're stupid and are actually trying to pick a fight
    B- They're trying too hard to click with the locals, and the situation became awkward, so they just back off and apologize
    In reality: street smarts, communication, and observation can easily determine the situation and appropriate reaction.
    If you're here in the states, we aren't actually taught that Gypsy=Romani.
    It's simply not a historically accurate context for the use of the term. (Due to the wide variety of use for various nomadic groups)
    We're taught the historical use and prior context, and the reasons behind that context.
    Seeing as how the history of N is more or less in the past, there are some people who are okay with the term.
    (Depending on when it's used or how it's communicated)
    I bet the same could be said of the Romani outlook on the word of Gypsy, if Nexon had the time to ask as many as possible.
    Suu
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775

Helsa, think of it this way:
    Men often teach boys that modern street smarts dictate that it's a bad idea for men to decide to wear a handkerchief out on his butt's belt.
    Why they do that is, well... I'd have to tell you not to Google it. Even if it's something from the past, modern LGBTQ culture kept it in that loop.
    It works the same for white men calling them black boys N's on the streets.
    They won't do it unless
    A- They're stupid and are actually trying to pick a fight
    B- They're trying too hard to click with the locals, and the situation became awkward, so they just back off and apologize
    In reality: street smarts, communication, and observation can easily determine the situation and appropriate reaction.
    If you're here in the states, we aren't actually taught that Gypsy=Romani.
    It's simply not a historically accurate context for the use of the term. (Due to the wide variety of use for various nomadic groups)
    We're taught the historical use and prior context, and the reasons behind that context.
    Seeing as how the history of N is more or less in the past, there are some people who are okay with the term.
    (Depending on when it's used or how it's communicated)
    I bet the same could be said of the Romani outlook on the word of Gypsy, if Nexon had the time to ask as many as possible.

strangely the topic about learning about the N word came up in a college class I took about 10 years ago. I forget exactly how the topic came up but it was a class about improving social skills and helping you discover what career you might be interested in kind of class and my teacher was black. the only time it is acceptable for white people to use that word is if you are very good friends with people you are saying it around and if they give you permission to use that word around them. but you should still be careful when using it at all anyway and assume that it is not okay unless you are told it is okay from the black friend or friends you are with. not sure if that has changed over 10 years or not but I thought the information was interesting to learn at the time. also have to be extremely careful to only use the version that ends with an a because the other version of the word is still extremely offensive no matter what the situation is. sorry if any of this information is inaccurate and not trying to offend anyone, this is just what my class was taught.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited August 21, 2019
    When I was a kid I thought the N word was something derived from a country called Nigeria. :D

Damn my dad was racist as hell. smh.
    Suu
    Crims wrote: »
    When I was a kid I thought the N word was something derived from a country called Nigeria. :D

I believe it it was meant to call them people from the Niger River region, as many of the captured people were loaded from that region of West Africa. Of course, there were people from different nations from all over Africa that was captured and sold on the western coast. And that is how people justified using that word back then (and even today). Of course, it can't really be justified because with DNA testing, some people were traced to have their ancestral origins from various parts of Africa and even beyond. Unfortunately, there are some people who just can't be traced, either their lineage really started from the Americas or records were just lost. This is but just 1 reason why it is wrong to use that term. But of course, not the main reason why it's wrong to use that term.
  • HelsaHelsa
    It may be the case among some black people, who have friends from outside their community, that they might be okay with their non-black friends using the term in private, for whatever reasons. It's not okay with all of them. Within the black community itself their is a huge debate about whether it is okay for black people themselves to use the term at all. Therefore it would not be a great stretch of the imagination to suppose that there are some Romani people who are not offended by the term Gypsy, while the rest are. It doesn't matter if one, from outside the community using the term, harbor's no ill will toward the community or is unaware that it is considered a pejorative.

From Nexon's point of view, it is prudent to not use the term. Why would they invite potential bad press or even litigation when they can utterly avoid it; they have nothing to gain from it and plenty to lose. Arguments of: Romani just shouldn't feel offended and it would be really cool to me and people who agree with me, are not going to sway them, regardless of whom has the last say on the matter.
    It may be the case among some black people, who have friends from outside their community, that they might be okay with their non-black friends using the term in private, for whatever reasons. It's not okay with all of them. Within the black community itself their is a huge debate about whether it is okay for black people themselves to use the term at all. Therefore it would not be a great stretch of the imagination to suppose that there are some Romani people who are not offended by the term Gypsy, while the rest are. It doesn't matter if one, from outside the community using the term, harbor's no ill will toward the community or is unaware that it is considered a pejorative.

From Nexon's point of view, it is prudent to not use the term. Why would they invite potential bad press or even litigation when they can utterly avoid it; they have nothing to gain from it and plenty to lose. Arguments of: Romani just shouldn't feel offended and it would be really cool to me and people who agree with me, are not going to sway them, regardless of whom has the last say on the matter.

Sometimes having prudence and pragmatism is for the better.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited August 21, 2019

I believe it it was meant to call them people from the Niger River region, as many of the captured people were loaded from that region of West Africa. Of course, there were people from different nations from all over Africa that was captured and sold on the western coast. And that is how people justified using that word back then (and even today). Of course, it can't really be justified because with DNA testing, some people were traced to have their ancestral origins from various parts of Africa and even beyond. Unfortunately, there are some people who just can't be traced, either their lineage really started from the Americas or records were just lost. This is but just 1 reason why it is wrong to use that term. But of course, not the main reason why it's wrong to use that term.

Records have been historically notorious as easily burned in fires or lost to raids.
    The N word was historically used to outright persecute and berate others, unlike how gypsy became a general term for nomads.
    There were still some who might've used the term to offend, but if you ask me... How could you offend a nomad, by calling them a nomad?
    Seems rather counter intuitive if you see gypsy through that definition, rather than as calling a white elf NPC bard a Romani.
    edited August 21, 2019

Records have been historically notorious as easily burned in fires or lost to raids.
    The N word was historically used to outright persecute and berate others, unlike how gypsy became a general term for nomads.
    There were still some who might've used the term to offend, but if you ask me... How could you offend a nomad, by calling them a nomad?
    Seems rather counter intuitive if you see gypsy through that definition, rather than as calling a white elf NPC bard a Romani.

By calling them gypsies when they're not.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited August 21, 2019

One does not simply decide to settle down, and still remain defined as a nomad. At that point, your tribe has settled.
    Henceforth, if any of the Romani decide to settle, then they're indeed no longer considered nomads.
    So by then it's still nothing to be offended about.

Look at the bottom of the article, and try to see things from ye old civilian's perspective.
    You lived in a hovel on a filthy street, and these homeless people came in on wagons to peddle wares, making more money than you in a day.

Now, looking at their occupations at the time, and knowing the old views on poor folk...
    Why wouldn't gypsy have been used as an all around insult to nomads at that time?

"Many Sinti and Roma traditionally worked as craftsmen, such as blacksmiths, cobblers, tinkers, horse dealers, and toolmakers. Others were performers such as musicians, circus animal trainers, and dancers.* By the 1920s, there was also a small, lower-middle class of shopkeepers and some civil servants, such as Sinti employed in the German postal service. The numbers of truly nomadic Gypsies were on the decline in many places by the early 1900s, although so-called sedentary Gypsies often moved seasonally, depending on their occupations.**"

*= This is the key part of history that fantasy writers focus on, not the historical wrongs towards the tribes, also without intent to name drop or offend. (Through utilizing gypsy as a general term)
    **= Sedentary is abiding in one place; not migratory. So, these were likely the ancestors of our modern, less nomadic Romani.

"They were called Gypsies because Europeans thought they came from Egypt."
    If they didn't come from Egypt, then why did they get offended? Are they even still offended?

If we keep insisting that the Romani are, or should be offended by a positive change in the view of the word, then it's not really helping either side of the argument if they don't actually have a way to communicate with us.

One does not simply decide to settle down, and still remain defined as a nomad. At that point, your tribe has settled.
    Henceforth, if any of the Romani decide to settle, then they're indeed no longer considered nomads.
    So by then it's still nothing to be offended about.

Look at the bottom of the article, and try to see things from ye old civilian's perspective.
    You lived in a hovel on a filthy street, and these homeless people came in on wagons to peddle wares, making more money than you in a day.

Now, looking at their occupations at the time, and knowing the old views on poor folk...
    Why wouldn't gypsy have been used as an all around insult to nomads at that time?

"Many Sinti and Roma traditionally worked as craftsmen, such as blacksmiths, cobblers, tinkers, horse dealers, and toolmakers. Others were performers such as musicians, circus animal trainers, and dancers.* By the 1920s, there was also a small, lower-middle class of shopkeepers and some civil servants, such as Sinti employed in the German postal service. The numbers of truly nomadic Gypsies were on the decline in many places by the early 1900s, although so-called sedentary Gypsies often moved seasonally, depending on their occupations.**"

*= This is the key part of history that fantasy writers focus on, not the historical wrongs towards the tribes, also without intent to name drop or offend. (Through utilizing gypsy as a general term)
    **= Sedentary is abiding in one place; not migratory. So, these were likely the ancestors of our modern, less nomadic Romani.

"They were called Gypsies because Europeans thought they came from Egypt."
    If they didn't come from Egypt, then why did they get offended? Are they even still offended?

If we keep insisting that the Romani are, or should be offended by a positive change in the view of the word, then it's not really helping either side of the argument if they don't actually have a way to communicate with us.

The issue is that people (especially the racist and ignorant) will still refer to them as gypsies even after they've settled down, in which I go back to my example in Italy. There are those who have settled down after gaining status, but the anti-immigrant people trying to drive them out will still refer to them as Romani/gypsies and would not allow them to be incorporated into Italian society. And that is exactly where some people will take offense to. And of course there will be offense being called something you're not.

Namecalling has nothing to do with origins and history. Just like derogatory use of the N word has nothing to do with people's origins.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited August 21, 2019
    The issue is that people (especially the racist and ignorant) will still refer to them as gypsies even after they've settled down, in which I go back to my example in Italy. There are those who have settled down after gaining status, but the anti-immigrant people trying to drive them out will still refer to them as Romani/gypsies and would not allow them to be incorporated into Italian society. And that is exactly where some people will take offense to. And of course there will be offense being called something you're not.
    Namecalling has nothing to do with origins and history. Just like derogatory use of the N word has nothing to do with people's origins.

In Mabinogi, I still believe "Gypsy" was scripted as a fantasy driven correct term.
    After all, elves descend from Connous, which is a desert like place- similar to Egypt.
    So while the Romani in real life are upset with outsiders utilizing the term, the Bard Camp NPCs seemed to have been fine with it.
    They're aware of how others see them: As nomads who dance, sing, and play music.
    Also unlike the Romani who hate the term, elves are naturally fair skinned.
    They're legally more representative of the original use for "gypsy" than the Romani people.
    It's pretty ironic, if you ask me.

In Mabinogi, I still believe "Gypsy" was scripted as a fantasy driven correct term.
    After all, elves descend from Connous, which is a desert like place- similar to Egypt.
    So while the Romani in real life are upset with outsiders utilizing the term, the Bard Camp NPCs seemed to have been fine with it.
    They're aware of how others see them: As nomads who dance, sing, and play music.
    They're legally more representative of the original use for "gypsy" than the Romani people.

But that's this world isn't it? Just full of hypocrisy that makes it feel like a fictional world with non real peoples have a better life than real people do. Well, that's why it's "Fantasy Life" I guess.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99

But that's this world isn't it? Just full of hypocrisy that makes it feel like a fictional world with non real peoples have a better life than real people do. Well, that's why it's "Fantasy Life" I guess.

Fantasy is fictional for a reason, as it does not reflect reality- it's merely inspired by it.
    (And yes, authors also intend it to make people feel better.)

Kensamaofmari
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited August 21, 2019

Yes. Unless you're Eminem. Then you can get away with it.

The N-word is a corruption of the word "*blocked*", used to refer to people classified as Negroid.

Well, you can guess the word (odd that the forum accepts the oid suffix one).

The difference with Gypsy is that it has more than one official use; the N-word doesn't (N-word ending with an a isn't official terminology)
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited August 21, 2019
    The difference with Gypsy is that it has more than one official use; the N-word doesn't (N-word ending with an a isn't official terminology)
    Which is why fantasy generally utilizes gypsies (the carnival dancers and bards) for medieval settings, over people with black skin.
    Everyone knows that history, they already know it was bad, and it easily becomes predictable to the story.
    So they'd much rather desire to hear a complicated story of characters who wear beautiful silk and belly revealing clothing from an unfamiliar, circus like setting. Even if those character's endings are tragic, they're always part of some greater mystery for the hero to solve.