Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Bring Back The Gypsy Talent Title

Comments

• SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Eralea wrote: »
    I’d derank dual guns and be an Expert American

Taking suggestions on what I should do with my newfound expertise in Americana

You sure you don't want a "Yakuza" title instead? I hear that culture is popular in anime, at least.

Master Brit when
    Darkpixie99Draech
  • AnnaysMAnnaysM
    Mabinogi Rep: 310
    I seriously can't comprehend how in the right mind someone would want to have an association with the name "Gypsy" . Coming from a country in which our name is tarnished by these people. The romanticized rrom is a an exotic human, talented in dancing and singing; but what we get is thieves, people who don't pay taxes, that build huge shiny houses only to live outside so that they don't have to pay for stuff.
    Some use their babies as a ploy to get more money by begging. They are horrible and violent and if you even look at one funny there might be a chance his whole family will come to beat you up.
    Of course, there is probably a minority that tries to live their best and be good people...but I have yet to meet any.

That being said, I am happy the title is out of here, seeing the Rroms being romanticized in a game I love always made me cringe.
    Greta
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    AnnaysM wrote: »
    I seriously can't comprehend how in the right mind someone would want to have an association with the name "Gypsy" . Coming from a country in which our name is tarnished by these people. The romanticized rrom is a an exotic human, talented in dancing and singing; but what we get is thieves, people who don't pay taxes, that build huge shiny houses only to live outside so that they don't have to pay for stuff.
    Some use their babies as a ploy to get more money by begging. They are horrible and violent and if you even look at one funny there might be a chance his whole family will come to beat you up.
    Of course, there is probably a minority that tries to live their best and be good people...but I have yet to meet any.

That being said, I am happy the title is out of here, seeing the Rroms being romanticized in a game I love always made me cringe.

Unfortunately, this comment is the exact reason why some terminology becomes sensitive issues for some people in this day and age of sensitivity.
    Ion
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited August 22, 2019

Unfortunately, this comment is the exact reason why some terminology becomes sensitive issues for some people in this day and age of sensitivity.

Yeah, not all the stories told about gypsies were bad.
    If they had, then all the positive ones about them being valuable craftsmen or stunning dancers wouldn't have spread.
    The fear of the reputation of few bad eggs should never ruin Devcat's vision for Mabinogi's fantasy life, as I said above:
    The issue is that people (especially the racist and ignorant) will still refer to them as gypsies even after they've settled down, in which I go back to my example in Italy. There are those who have settled down after gaining status, but the anti-immigrant people trying to drive them out will still refer to them as Romani/gypsies and would not allow them to be incorporated into Italian society. And that is exactly where some people will take offense to. And of course there will be offense being called something you're not.
    Namecalling has nothing to do with origins and history. Just like derogatory use of the N word has nothing to do with people's origins.

In Mabinogi, I still believe "Gypsy" was scripted as a fantasy driven correct term.
    After all, elves descend from Connous, which is a desert like place- similar to Egypt.
    So while the Romani in real life are upset with outsiders utilizing the term, the Bard Camp NPCs seemed to have been fine with it.
    They're aware of how others see them: As nomads who dance, sing, and play music.
    Also unlike the Romani who hate the term, elves are naturally fair skinned.
    They're legally more representative of the original use for "gypsy" than the Romani people.
    It's pretty ironic, if you ask me.

But that's this world isn't it? Just full of hypocrisy that makes it feel like a fictional world with non real peoples have a better life than real people do. Well, that's why it's "Fantasy Life" I guess.

Fantasy is fictional for a reason, as it does not reflect reality- it's merely inspired by it.
    (And yes, authors also intend it to make people feel better.)

• GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    I want Master Jew then.
    KensamaofmariSherri
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    edited August 23, 2019
    AnnaysM wrote: »

Reminds me of that horrible show - My Big Fat Gypsy wedding. Were the people on it claim to be gypsy, dont pay taxes, spend 50 million on trashy ugly wedding dresses, pop 30 babies out at 14, admit on tv the government gives them money to go get their nails done and have names like pookie and mookie. Think it's 'gypsy' to dress with hardly any clothing on, marry their daughters of at 12.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Greta wrote: »
    I want Master Jew then.

There are people with the surname Jew.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited August 23, 2019
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    Reminds me of that horrible show - My Big Fat Gypsy wedding. Were the people on it claim to be gypsy, dont pay taxes, spend 50 million on trashy ugly wedding dresses, pop 30 babies out at 14, admit on tv the government gives them money to go get their nails done and have names like pookie and mookie. Think it's 'gypsy' to dress with hardly any clothing on, marry their daughters of at 12.
    Goes to show how quickly the term devolved from Romani to "jobless nomad" in a matter of decades.
    If the government lets spoiled rich folk get away with it too, then technically there's nothing wrong with it. (Until the laws change.)
    And you gotta remember that most reality shows are indeed scripted, or are at least intent on finding and showing the worst in people.
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    In this day and age, you literally can not do anything without offending anyone. So you might as well offend everyone equally.
    Darkpixie99SherriKensamaofmari
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    In this day and age, you literally can not do anything without offending anyone. So you might as well offend everyone equally.

... and this is why Nexon isn't ever going to touch this no matter how long a pole you give them.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited August 24, 2019
    Helsa wrote: »

... and this is why Nexon isn't ever going to touch this no matter how long a pole you give them.

Let's get real though.
    Most people who get riled up about racism in things (that don't intend it to be read or seen as such) usually aren't of said race or occupation.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited August 28, 2019
    I want Master Jew then.

What is ironic is that the word jew is censored in the game, but you can say *EXPUNGED*

German guy with funny mustache.

EDIT: Actually, he was Austrian. Oops!
    Greta
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited August 25, 2019
    Sherri wrote: »
    I want Master Jew then.
    What is ironic is that the word jew is censored in the game, but you can say *EXPUNGED*

With a name so infamous like that... Whatcha gonna do as a company, but block it?
    26-evil-captain-america.w700.h700.jpg
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited August 25, 2019
    I want Master Jew then.

Are actual names even censored?
  • GretaGreta
    I want Master Jew then.

Yes.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    I want Master Jew then.

Yes.

I remember Shylock being a name that was censored, only to be uncensored when it proved dumb to censor the name of a storyline character.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    I remember Shylock being a name that was censored, only to be uncensored when it proved dumb to censor the name of a storyline character.

I believe that mistake was due to an overseas slur issue with the definition, one similar to the "gypsy" situation.

Sherri
  • RuinitiveRuinitive
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,180
    It should come back, it's stupid that it was removed. People are way too sensitive now days it's awful.
  • GretaGreta
    edited August 28, 2019
    Ruinitive wrote: »
    It should come back, it's stupid that it was removed. People are way too sensitive now days it's awful.

If we gonna forgive for Gypsy then i want titles that go with Jews, N*****, etc... Some people will consider this word as rude and you can't do anything about it.
    SherriDarkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited August 28, 2019
    Ruinitive wrote: »

If we gonna forgive for Gypsy then i want titles that go with Jews, N*****, etc... Some people will consider this word as rude and you can't do anything about it.

I'm fairly certain that some official Jewish organization will take actual issue with that, and would likely send Nexon a colorfully worded letter.
    It's unfortunate, but as much as Japan admired those style of military garbs, they have to turn it into fantasy as well. (For sanity's sake)
    Just take Shinto shrines for example.
    A harmless Sanskrit symbol was not only stolen, but flipped by you know who, and is now a part of outrage culture.
    *Facepalm*
    I can't even share the first article link due to Nexon censoring historical terms... ORZ.
    Warning: The following is not for the uneducated eyes
    composite_14957791522869.jpg
    Read the Article