Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Some noobie help

AndromedyAndromedy
Mabinogi Rep: 410
in Nao Chat
Hi guys,

I'm really new to Mabi, and i'm having trouble deciding on the talents I should be using. I had read that I should be focusing on Close Combat, but it's getting a little boring to say the least. I added Music for the buffs and I find that I really enjoy the music portion.

I'm looking for something a little more interesting than Close Combat for the future, so if anyone could give me some sound advice that'd be great.

I'm very interested in battle alchemy but I was reading a lot of iffy things about it. I'd also love to try magic, but I heard getting all the pages is really hard, especially for noobies. I was also looking into puppets or chains but I heard mixed with those as well. So i'm at a bit of a loss ^_^;;

I'm still well under the 1000 total level so resetting wont be a problem if I have to.

I currently have rank 1 smash, 9 windmill, and 5 song as my high points.

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited August 27, 2019
    Define "interesting" as specifically as possible.
  • AndromedyAndromedy
    Helsa wrote: »

Something with mechanics other than pressing R1 smash repeatedly while a broom beats up a bear. I'm sure Close Combat would get a bit more complex the higher into the game you go, though from what i've seen online it's mostly just "Press final hit->win", take that with a grain of salt though I suppose.

As I said I am rather curious about things like Battle Alchemy, but I have no idea what is/isn't viable at all. Such mixed reviews on everything >-<
  • RauganRaugan
    Mabinogi Rep: 635
    You don't have to be in a specific talent to try out the other skills, like if you're interested in alchemy, just head to Tailltean (definitely misspelled that) and pick up alch skills and the cylinder. Same goes for magic, chain, etc. Simply start the skill quest lines, if any, and play with the skills when you unlock em. As you said, since you're under 1000 total levels, just reset your skills and try out the other skillsets. You might need to check the mabi wiki to figure where to unlock some skills though.

Close combat is generally a good start since it gives you base stats like STR, DEF, and HP which would help you survive along the way. But you don't have to do Close Combat at the beginning if it does not interest you. Aside from stats and whatever is meta, it boils down to your play style. Some people like ninja, some prefer chains. So on and so forth.

Most likely, you will be using skills across different talents. Being in a talent simply means you get stat bonuses from said talent and training those related skills is a bit faster.
    Andromedy
  • AndromedyAndromedy
    Raugan wrote: »
    You don't have to be in a specific talent to try out the other skills, like if you're interested in alchemy, just head to Tailltean (definitely misspelled that) and pick up alch skills and the cylinder. Same goes for magic, chain, etc. Simply start the skill quest lines, if any, and play with the skills when you unlock em. As you said, since you're under 1000 total levels, just reset your skills and try out the other skillsets. You might need to check the mabi wiki to figure where to unlock some skills though.

Close combat is generally a good start since it gives you base stats like STR, DEF, and HP which would help you survive along the way. But you don't have to do Close Combat at the beginning if it does not interest you. Aside from stats and whatever is meta, it boils down to your play style. Some people like ninja, some prefer chains. So on and so forth.

Most likely, you will be using skills across different talents. Being in a talent simply means you get stat bonuses from said talent and training those related skills is a bit faster.

Alright, so basically just play whatever the heck I like. I guess that's fair enough haha.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    For beginners, if you're used to close ranged combat, chains will be a good alternative to regular close combat.

For range, if you don't want regular archery, go for magic. And if you want to work on something intermediate, dual guns.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited August 27, 2019
    Andromedy wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »

Something with mechanics other than pressing R1 smash repeatedly while a broom beats up a bear. I'm sure Close Combat would get a bit more complex the higher into the game you go, though from what i've seen online it's mostly just "Press final hit->win", take that with a grain of salt though I suppose.

As I said I am rather curious about things like Battle Alchemy, but I have no idea what is/isn't viable at all. Such mixed reviews on everything >-<

Sorry to say but you're gonna be disapointed. The designers of this game favor raw power over cleverness. You can go on YouTube and see battles recorded by end-game characters. They all have incredible stats, all the possible boosts to them that they can get, OP equipment with the best enchants and reforges. When you watch they're very powerful, but aren't really doing anything more clever than dishing out more than they take.

In other words if you want fights to be interesting then that's up to you. Try taking on monsters you don't think you can beat but do defeat them with clever combo use rather than just waiting until you're strong enough to power your way through them. Visit duncan and have him lower everything to rank F, then see how far you can go with just rank F skills. You might be surprised what you can do by using your skills wisely.
  • MizukoMizuko
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,315
    My advice:
    Maxed up your Defense skill because you will fight harder enemies as you play the generation quests.
    I don't recommend Chain Blade talent early because the requirements to unlock these skills are quite difficult and expensive.
    Training Windmill and Final Hit (if you don't have it) are your best situational skills when facing harder enemies.
    I recommend maxing your skills that have combat power requirements or you will have a hard time training them in the future.
    Try to work on Magic skills because they are helpful in the long run.
  • AmarazAmaraz
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,735
    For me chains was fun, a challenge to attain, and very strong to use.

I would think most people find chains fun to use, but the quests can be difficult if you're not used to the game yet. Chains are also just stupid strong for elfs and humans especially.

==================================

Alchemy is a personal favorite of mine but I definitely understand why people would say don't bother. However with the newest update in weapons, it's become very strong. Weak at first, strong during end-game. It's fairly fun in my opinion as well. Alchemy damage is partially based on your current HP, MP and Stam. So if you don't have high amounts of those it wont feel as strong.

==================================

Ninja is probably going to be fun for a new player. I'm not to interested in it, but I think most people agree it's a fun talent and offers good damage feedback to make you feel like you're getting stronger. It has very good aeo skills, some crowd control and some high damage dealers. For a human and giant it works very nicely.
  • DreamdrinkerDreamdrinker
    Mabinogi Rep: 815
    Try puppetry.

I got tired of the meta being final hit reforges and what not, so I picked up puppets and whew... I'm glad I did that because I would've quit.

They aren't good with the super duper endgame stuff (everything post phantasm is not good), but everything else and puppets are great.
  • ookieookie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,925
    edited November 1, 2019
    collecting pages for magic is only for when you're already well versed in the early magic of casting bolt magic....this isn't like other games...you can literally do almost anything you want when you want....fight off an enemy in a dungeon with a sword, and if your buddy is in trouble then help him out with a Lightning Bolt from across the room....Mabi lets you mix your skills...the goal is to become the ultimate YOU....not a certain fighting class...when you do get to bolt magic (probably already are) just remember....your mana from charging Ice will be restored once cast at an enemy.... i favor Fire because it has the advantage of a quick knockback, plus at higher levels it's as good as any sword if you need it....a chain cast wand really makes Fire Bolt a formidable skill.....Mana Shield is a must especially for close combat....everyone has mana, and if they don't use it for magic then they may as well use it as a shield to defend against melee attacks....wait until after you get Fusion Bolt before you worry about any pages....chances are you'll already have most of them before then from personal shops, monster drops, etc