Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

What if Nexon sold gold and ducats?

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Loan/Pawn Suggestion Revised
    As part of the effort to create gold sinks, decrease reliance on illegal gold selling botters.

---
    Loaning system.
    Gold
    When players are short on gold to make a transaction at NPC shops, Auction House, and Personal Shops; they can borrow gold to instantly pay the transaction.

I. The number of times one can borrow is determined by a credit scale of 0-5 which will fluctuate depending on the reliability to pay back by the borrower. Simple interest will be used.

II. Time Limits
    A.The amount of times one can borrow is reset quarterly, 3 months real time.
    B. Repayment term for loans amounted 1 gold - 2 mil. 1 month real time before default. >2 mil - 10 mil 3 months, >10 mil 6 months.
    C. Grace period warning at the end of the loan term, 14 days.

III. Credit Scale
    Everyone starts at 3 and will move based on if they borrow and if they can pay back on time or not.
    Scale - Borrow times per period: Borrow Limit and interest rate
    0 - 0: Player is not reliable and must have game managers determine if they can borrow again.
    1 - 1: 1 time 500 k limit at 25% (Max amount per period 500 k)
    2 - 2: 2 times 1.5 mil limit at 20% (Max amount per period 3 mil)
    3 - 3: 3 times 5 mil limit at 15% (Max amount per period 15 mil)
    4 - 4: 4 times 10 mil limit at 10% (Max amount per period 40 mil)
    5 - 5: 5 times 50 mil limit at 5% (Max amount per period 250 mil)

IV. Interest
    Simple interest is used and is added every 2 weeks real time. This should decrease the pressure on the borrower, but still hold them accountable to pay back what they borrowed.

V. Collateral
    To ensure integrity of the system, the borrower must offer an item of high value that is not a personalized, NPC bought item, or item with an expiration countdown to offer as a collateral. If the borrower still has not made a payment at the end of the grace period, the item is confiscated and sold at the 5pm auction. If the item is not bought by anyone within another 14 days, it is destroyed.

---
    Borrowing ducats.
    The system is similar to gold, but the amount one can borrow for a transaction (to buy or repair from NPC shop only). Borrowed ducats amounts will not be added to a player's total ducats to be used in commerce.

The borrowing limits for ducats are
    0:0 0 ducats
    1:1 times max 10 k ducats (25%)
    2:2 times max 250 k ducats (20%)
    3:3 times max 500 k ducats (15%)
    4: 4 times max 750 k ducats (10%)
    5: 5 times max 1 mil ducats (5%)

The merchant NPC gives the option of delivery quests to deliver by commerce specified goods to specified locations. All bandit spawns will be at least Veteran. Loss of over 60% of the goods during transport will result in failure of the quest. Goods will not be affected by logout/disconnect as they will not take up inventory slots. Instead, they will instead have a HP bar. These quests are optional.

Feel free to respond to this idea.
    DanievictriaDarkpixie99
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Ok.
    Crims wrote: »
    Ok.

Yay, I got a response. x'D
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    13ird.jpg?a435576
    Kensamaofmari
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited September 17, 2019
    Nooooo. This is awful too.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Greta wrote: »
    What if Nexon sold old gachas for gold? Imagine this god tier gold sink.

Why isn't this a thing already D:
    Darkpixie99

Which part?
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805

Which part?

The whole Loaning system. I bet people would still find a way to abuse it.

Which part?

The whole Loaning system. I bet people would still find a way to abuse it.

Any counter suggestions? Would appreciate it.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Yeah yeah yeah; I'll get to it. I'm just a little busy right now.
  • HelsaHelsa
    I borrow gold at the first tier. I don't spend it. I pay it back immediately. My credit is seen as good. I move up to the next tier. I repeat the process until I'm at the highest tier. I borrow the most that I can within the system. I transfer the money to an uninvolved character via auction house dead bees. I never pay it back and never visit this character, or the other seven on it's account with which I've done the same, ever again. You can make one account per day, and five per thirty days. That's four hundred eighty character per year. I buy back any items at auction if I care about them at all and if I still get a net gain buy doing so.

The value of the collateral MUST equal the amount borrowed. If it is less there is incentive to cheat.
    Darkpixie99
    edited September 18, 2019
    Helsa wrote: »
    I borrow gold at the first tier. I don't spend it. I pay it back immediately. My credit is seen as good. I move up to the next tier. I repeat the process until I'm at the highest tier. I borrow the most that I can within the system. I transfer the money to an uninvolved character via auction house dead bees. I never pay it back and never visit this character, or the other seven on it's account with which I've done the same, ever again. You can make one account per day, and five per thirty days. That's four hundred eighty character per year. I buy back any items at auction if I care about them at all and if I still get a net gain buy doing so.

The value of the collateral MUST equal the amount borrowed. If it is less there is incentive to cheat.

I've stated that the gold/ducats borrowed cannot be kept, it is immediately used during transaction. That is the key. One cannot borrow and save it for later. The borrow option will only be available at the time of transaction (like with direct bank transaction).
    Darkpixie99
  • HelsaHelsa
    You still follow the same procedure but this time you apply it to buy low sell high as you build up your credit rating. In the final phase rather than getting gold you get items and follow the same account abandoning procedure.
    Greta
    Helsa wrote: »
    You still follow the same procedure but this time you apply it to buy low sell high as you build up your credit rating. In the final phase rather than getting gold you get items and follow the same account abandoning procedure.

Of course, things can be adjusted to be more strict, limits of borrowing and time periods. My proposition is kind of lenient because, it is designed to help those actually in need.
  • DusqueDusque
    Mabinogi Rep: 535
    I remember runescape did something very similar that worked out tremendously well. They started selling an item called "Bonds" you could buy for $5 usd. They originally gave 14 days of membership and eventually added more uses for them down the line. You could use them yourself (which was a terrible idea because buying membership the normal way was cheaper) or sell them to other players with in-game currency. This allowed F2P players access to paid features using in-game currency while at the same time allowed others a technical way to "buy" in-game currencies. This actually damaged the RS3 gold farming community because by standardizing in-game currency to a certain value gold farmers had to lower prices just to remain competitive. However, because Runescape Bonds were legitimate, there was no fear of getting banned so it was a safer way to purchase in-game currency. Ultimately, this severely crippled gold farming in RS3 to the point where I only ever see gold farmers at the gambling arena nowadays.

If Nexon did the same here at Mabi I would assume it would be an item that you could sell to other players and when used temporarily give the user VIP access. The item price would be based on player economy so that means they're as valuable as people want them to be, which also means gold farmers would have to adapt to this price if they want to remain relevant.

Edit: one of the uses of which was username changes so...there's that too :D
    DanievictriaTHICCthighssavelives
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi
    Mabinogi Rep: 660
    Those would be utterly pointless because we have an ENTIRE CASH SHOP of tradeable items already to get gold with. That people actually want.

Those only work on games that DON'T already have a cash shop with tradeable items. Because you already have a medium of exchange for paying to get gold from players. Those games DID NOT. It would literally do nothing to add that, except give gold farmers even easier access to the farm fields again and then they get even more easy gold to sell and their gold efficiency improves substantially which allows them to lower prices or raise the amount of gold per price, especially since Premium and/or VIP would be nearly worthless on the AH, compared the sheer amount of gold you COULD'VE made just converting that NX to reforges or something people would ACTUALLY buy.

Reforges already serve that purpose for reliable means of paying money for gold, and it's about the same rate as what the gold farmers are charging (obviously it fluctuates up and down depending on the current supply at that moment, but the weekly/monthly averages stay about the same).

OR gambling on gachas for something REALLY expensive, but those aren't guaranteed and you mostly get garbage no one wants.

That's why all nexon has to do to cripple gold farmers is simply reduce the NX price of reforges a little bit (say dropping Single Fines to 1000, the 11 pack to 10,000, and the 35 pack to 30,000). THAT is what the gold farmers prices are based on, completing with the average price of Reforging tools, since that's your big guaranteed money maker out of all the cash shop items. They naturally remove themselves from the game, and the rates of getting something good are so horrible, that they are always in demand to keep rerolling.

Credne's are a bit more situational so they're probably fine to stay as is.

Everything else is situational or completely random. Enchant protection and trade unlocks are good money for their cost...but they aren't as in demand as reforges. So they're less reliable. And they put a lot value into a single item which means you can't split some of them up to cast a wider net of potential buyers (like having a few singles, a couple 5's and a couple 10 packs)

And gachas are competely random and most of the aren't worth the money vs just buying more reforges to sell. They even further gimped them somewhat recently, but did increase the worth of trade unlocks a bit in the process. So....it's hard to say how that's gonna play out.

Trade unlocks do seem a bit overvalued currently compared to their NX costs vs other similar NX options.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Gaia Online tried Gold Generators.

Got so out of hand, they had to create a new currency.
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    edited September 21, 2019
    Dusque wrote: »
    I remember runescape did something very similar that worked out tremendously well. They started selling an item called "Bonds" you could buy for $5 usd. They originally gave 14 days of membership and eventually added more uses for them down the line. You could use them yourself (which was a terrible idea because buying membership the normal way was cheaper) or sell them to other players with in-game currency. This allowed F2P players access to paid features using in-game currency while at the same time allowed others a technical way to "buy" in-game currencies. This actually damaged the RS3 gold farming community because by standardizing in-game currency to a certain value gold farmers had to lower prices just to remain competitive. However, because Runescape Bonds were legitimate, there was no fear of getting banned so it was a safer way to purchase in-game currency. Ultimately, this severely crippled gold farming in RS3 to the point where I only ever see gold farmers at the gambling arena nowadays.

If Nexon did the same here at Mabi I would assume it would be an item that you could sell to other players and when used temporarily give the user VIP access. The item price would be based on player economy so that means they're as valuable as people want them to be, which also means gold farmers would have to adapt to this price if they want to remain relevant.

Edit: one of the uses of which was username changes so...there's that too :D

On the subject of an intermediate item of that kind, the virtual pet game Subeta started selling Cash Shop Credit Gift Cards in their cash shop several years ago. At first, they widened the accessibility of the cash shop to free players, who could buy these cards from players who could afford to buy from the cash shop with real money. Unfortunately, the in-game price of these items on the player market (and with them, the prices of all other cash shop items on the player market as well) inflated quickly and massively a couple of years back when they added custom wearables (a $50 service where players submit their designs for items, and it they're approved they receive a limited run of that item that they can distribute to other players as they wish). Because fashion is a very big thing in that community, the demand for this service increased the demand for CSC Gift Cards significantly, while the population of players able to buy items from the cash shop to resell for in-game currency stayed the same, which did a real number on the game's already very unstable economy. For instance, it made buying Gold Account Medals so expensive that they became downright unprofitable for most free players.

So, there are pros and cons for bringing an item like that into a game's cash shop. The pro is that it can, under the right circumstances, hit gold sellers really hard and greatly reduce that sort of activity. However, the con is that if a new, wildly popular item or service is introduced to the cash shop, the in-game value of this intermediate item (and, as a result, the in-game value of all cash shop items as well) can rocket through the roof overnight and can really harm the economy of a game that already suffers from severe inflation problems.
  • SpringvioletSpringviolet
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    Why we need gold again? The fun of playing this game is causing new players to leave because everyone wants to be rich. I look in Auction House and the price list for simple items is just crazy. I have decided since I am a long-time player I don't need much to have fun in the game, I will just do events and have fun with that and pay for my monthly service. What we use to do back in 2010 was a group of us run shop gather materials for those that want to rank their skills and that system work very well and we got rich doing that but later in the game, I found that I was rich but my skills suffer because I did not have time to train them. Today, I have my skills up for the most part but I am good, players are asking me how they can get 100 mils just to be in certain guild or buy items. I have no answer for them because I try to work with new players who want to play the game and have fun.
    DanievictriaKensamaofmari10745Whitfield
    Why we need gold again? The fun of playing this game is causing new players to leave because everyone wants to be rich. I look in Auction House and the price list for simple items is just crazy. I have decided since I am a long-time player I don't need much to have fun in the game, I will just do events and have fun with that and pay for my monthly service. What we use to do back in 2010 was a group of us run shop gather materials for those that want to rank their skills and that system work very well and we got rich doing that but later in the game, I found that I was rich but my skills suffer because I did not have time to train them. Today, I have my skills up for the most part but I am good, players are asking me how they can get 100 mils just to be in certain guild or buy items. I have no answer for them because I try to work with new players who want to play the game and have fun.

Yup, a lot of questions of newcomers end up being how do I get x amount of gold quick or x amount of income or how to reach endgame quick.
    Darkpixie99