Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

[UPDATE] Addition of Sales Tax When Purchasing NX

Comments

• alissanalyzeralissanalyzer
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    edited September 24, 2019
    Looks like they're running out of money to keep this game alive. All you really need is a VPN to bypass it anyways.
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,050
    Looks like they're running out of money to keep this game alive. All you really need is a VPN to bypass it anyways.

maybe im wrong but I don't think companies or vendors get a share of the sales tax it probably goes to just whatever government is collecting it.
    BuffalosDarkpixie99Draech
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Guess it might be time for Nexon to start having "Bonus NX" limited time sale events, or at least lower the price on gachapons to encourage spending.
    GameFactionsChaosShadow
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Veylaine wrote: »

maybe im wrong but I don't think companies or vendors get a share of the sales tax it probably goes to just whatever government is collecting it.

When the government collect taxes from companies and vendors, they only need to report their total revenues and they'll collect from the % of that. And each zip code may have a different sales tax rate. Unless the governments in question fulling enforce to collect 100% of the sales tax collected, I'm sure companies and vendors will find a way to keep some of the collection.

But in response to the previous poster, more misinformation that Nexon is doing this for their own gain.
    VeylaineWolfsingerDarkpixie99Draech
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    DANIarts wrote: »
    I can understand how people can be salty about this situation, especially since it wasn't enforced sooner, but the reality is...
    taxes beat anything.
    We should give Nexon a break.
    It's not something they can avoid UNLESS they want so much legal issues going on.

So i'm pretty much neutral about all this.
    if you don't wanna get taxed, dont buy NX.
    if anything just save up gold for what you want, because more than likely - as salty as people are about this - there's STILL going to be players who'll buy NX.
    Example being bobo, she's more than likely still going to buy NX to do gachas because of her YouTube content.
    which isn't a bad thing lmao.

But yeah, it's your choice whether or not you wanna continue buying NX.
    Well, from a business standpoint, they'll wait as long as possible before enforcing government taxation requirements.

I want to see the very same people complaining about Nexon to also not make purchases with any other vendor, because those vendors as well will be collecting sales tax on Oct 1, and no they don't have to tell you that they're collecting them. Nexon did everyone a favor by actually sending out a notice a week beforehand.

Indeed I vaguely remember getting an email from newegg sometime ago mentioning this

capture_3.JPG

DANIarts wrote: »
    I can understand how people can be salty about this situation, especially since it wasn't enforced sooner, but the reality is...
    taxes beat anything.
    We should give Nexon a break.
    It's not something they can avoid UNLESS they want so much legal issues going on.

So i'm pretty much neutral about all this.
    if you don't wanna get taxed, dont buy NX.
    if anything just save up gold for what you want, because more than likely - as salty as people are about this - there's STILL going to be players who'll buy NX.
    Example being bobo, she's more than likely still going to buy NX to do gachas because of her YouTube content.
    which isn't a bad thing lmao.

But yeah, it's your choice whether or not you wanna continue buying NX.
    Well, from a business standpoint, they'll wait as long as possible before enforcing government taxation requirements.

I want to see the very same people complaining about Nexon to also not make purchases with any other vendor, because those vendors as well will be collecting sales tax on Oct 1, and no they don't have to tell you that they're collecting them. Nexon did everyone a favor by actually sending out a notice a week beforehand.

Indeed I vaguely remember getting an email from newegg sometime ago mentioning this

capture_3.JPG

Good people can boycott them too xD
    VeylaineWolfsinger
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    I'm just reading this as an European and be like "You guys had to do your OWN taxes?"
    Kensamaofmari
  • DANIartsDANIarts
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,120
    Like I said, I'm neutral about all this. It's life, more and more things will change and happen.
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    TheTaka wrote: »
    From what I understand from my roommate... This could be very illegal... "Nexon must have a Canadian based division of the company in order to collect sales tax on transactions based out of Canada..this change in policy means one of two things, either Nexon now has a "Nexon Canada" or they are massively breaking the law."

".....Recently, two Canadian provinces, Québec and Saskatchewan, have created an explicit sales tax on digital supplies, or extended the requirements for nonresident vendors to register to collect sales taxes, in an attempt to ensure that taxes on such foreign digital services are collected and remitted in a more effective and reliable manner.

In both Québec and Saskatchewan, the new regimes require the supplier to register for, charge, collect, and remit sales tax to the respective province. However, it is unclear the extent to which these provinces will be able to enforce their new regimes since the foreign suppliers typically do not have any nexus or establishment in Canada.....

// numerous skips between these passages and this one//

....We understand that Revenu Québec has been proactive in trying to reach out to non-Canadian suppliers and operators of digital platforms that are perceived to be subject to this new registration and collection regime prior to the coming into force of the rules....."
    - from the article below

P.S. im not saying this is the answer but it could be.

https://news.bloombergtax.com/daily-tax-report-international/insight-clarity-on-new-canadian-digital-sales-taxes
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    From what I understand from my roommate... This could be very illegal... "Nexon must have a Canadian based division of the company in order to collect sales tax on transactions based out of Canada..this change in policy means one of two things, either Nexon now has a "Nexon Canada" or they are massively breaking the law."

".....Recently, two Canadian provinces, Québec and Saskatchewan, have created an explicit sales tax on digital supplies, or extended the requirements for nonresident vendors to register to collect sales taxes, in an attempt to ensure that taxes on such foreign digital services are collected and remitted in a more effective and reliable manner.

In both Québec and Saskatchewan, the new regimes require the supplier to register for, charge, collect, and remit sales tax to the respective province. However, it is unclear the extent to which these provinces will be able to enforce their new regimes since the foreign suppliers typically do not have any nexus or establishment in Canada.....

....We understand that Revenu Québec has been proactive in trying to reach out to non-Canadian suppliers and operators of digital platforms that are perceived to be subject to this new registration and collection regime prior to the coming into force of the rules....."
    - from the article below

https://news.bloombergtax.com/daily-tax-report-international/insight-clarity-on-new-canadian-digital-sales-taxes

https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/canada-quebec-foreign-digital-service-sales-tax-sept-2019.html

seems that its been finalized.

Looks like its for certain that Quebec has it instilled, I wonder if I can find more provinces that do this.
  • VeylaineVeylaine

- from the article below

https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/canada-quebec-foreign-digital-service-sales-tax-sept-2019.html

Looks like its for certain that Quebec has it instilled, I wonder if I can find more provinces that do this.

Does that mean that Nexon has held off passing the tax to Quebec players for almost 9 whole months?

I don't thinks so, that excerpt specifically already mentioned resident vendors. Since it mentions the 1st of this month and says the resident vendors already had to deal with this before hand.

- from the article below

Does that mean that Nexon has held off passing the tax to Quebec players for almost 9 whole months?

- from the article below

I don't thinks so, that excerpt specifically already mentioned resident vendors. Since it mentions the 1st of this month and says the resident vendors already had to deal with this before hand.

The previous article you posted did mention about nonresident suppliers.
  • VeylaineVeylaine

- from the article below

The previous article you posted did mention about nonresident suppliers.

the previous one mentioned they were in talks with foreign entities and that one was posted on Mar.

Also I found another one with a bit more information. Basically Resident Vendors had less time to get ready. They have of get stuff done during jan and Foreign ones had to get stuff done this month.

http://www.mondaq.com/canada/x/779376/sales+taxes+VAT+GST/Qubecs+New+QST+Registration+Rules+Target+NonResident+Online+Vendors+And+Service+Providers

Here is the bill thats cited and of course the section too.
    http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/dynamicSearch/telecharge.php?type=5&file=2018C18A.PDF (page 50)
    unknown.png

basically the way I would sum it up is that quebec introduced these rules and probably was in talk with some foreign entities so they could get ready ( ie first article ) and these other two just went into more detail of what kind of legislation they passed in regards to non-residents.

So in reality just like the US supreme court decision this a reaction towards government legislation or judiciary hearings that happened last year ( quebec bill 150 assented on 2018 )
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    @Kensamaofmari I guess to better answer your question is that the first article didn't really go into the details of said legislation and just said that it happened. Namely one of those details being that residents had to do this in Jan and non Residents had do it this month.
    Nonetheless, taxes.
  • TheTakaTheTaka
    Mabinogi Rep: 825
    edited September 25, 2019

- from the article below

If that's the case then the Canadian government will collect that taxes, not Nexon?
    The way it was written in the announcement... it sounded very much like the Nexon company is going to tax canadians for a product of the United States.
    United States cannot tax Canadians who are living in Canada.
    Unless our own Canadian government is doing the Taxing, it's illegal. <<;
    Are they taxing Canadians and then sending that to the Canadian government??? That would be the only way it would not be illegal unless they have a Nexon Canada.
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    edited September 25, 2019

- from the article below

If that's the case then the Canadian government will collect that taxes, not Nexon?
    The way it was written in the announcement... it sounded very much like the Nexon company is going to tax canadians for a product of the United States.
    United States cannot tax Canadians who are living in Canada.
    Unless our own Canadian government is doing the Taxing, it's illegal. <<;
    Are they taxing Canadians and then sending that to the Canadian government??? That would be the only way it would not be illegal unless they have a Nexon Canada.

I found more info after I sent you that message, you can read the entire discussion I had with kensa but tl;dr Quebec for sure is wanting to collect taxes from foreign companies that sell digital services to their residents.

http://www.mondaq.com/canada/x/779376/sales+taxes+VAT+GST/Qubecs+New+QST+Registration+Rules+Target+NonResident+Online+Vendors+And+Service+Providers

and bill thats cited

http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/dynamicSearch/telecharge.php?type=5&file=2018C18A.PDF

idk how canada works but maybe its in the same vain, so yes nexon would collect the sales tax and then give to the perspective governments that are wanting it. I'd imagine for sure Quebec would keep tabs on stuff like this but thats just my speculation .

To summarize, governments want businesses to collect taxes for them, which makes the businesses look like the bad guys, while the government increase their coffers.
    Darkpixie99WolfsingerRadiant DawnSherri
  • TiernieTiernie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,380
    Crims wrote: »
    Here is a list of zero percent sales tax states:

Alaska
    Delaware
    Montana
    New Hampshire
    Oregon

We get to input the zip code right? Do you see how pointless this is?

I would believe they would use the zip code from your billing info.
    Unless you have a separate residence in those states, I think they'll use your billing info's address.

*creates PayPal account with Alaskan address.
    Darkpixie99CrimsọnWolfsingerSherriChaosShadow