Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

An alternative to AFK events

KadalynKadalyn
Mabinogi Rep: 1,900
edited September 25, 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions
I've been in this community a very long time. And I remember the days we'd go for months without an event and the forums would be filled with complaints. The answer this was to constantly be running events, which has expectedly lowered the quality of events because they're low effort AFK events. Essentially, the same complaints have resurfaced.

I don't think a game needs constant events or even frequent events personally but I wouldn't suggest removing them all so as an alternative solution I'd like to suggest making Mabi the gacha game it longs to be and take the typical attendance system from those games.

To explain, there is always an attendance thing running. You log in daily, you get a stamp. It's some meager reward, like some of the cash shop currency once a week or some basic items like what you get from the service daily item thing, but maybe modernize it a bit. Then when there are events, sometimes they'll run and additional event-themed attendance card. (It checks off both the normal one and all the event ones.)

This is an extremely low-effort one and done system. All the attendance cards could use the same thing. You could still run bingos and other half-AFK events that could have cards which give out spins or whatever but overall the goal would be to significantly reduce the amount of attendance events into just a normal system that doesn't need any special hype. This would allow event devs the time to focus on actually fun-to-do events, and maybe actually test that movement speed doesn't ruin them.

If nothing else, it's a more honest system, I think. No one is hyped to do nothing and get items; they want the items, sure, but it's inherently unrewarding and doesn't bring people back to the game.

Server: Alexina
Character: Kadalyn
SherrixSho76Atheist42

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    There have been many calls for more active events that engage the community over the years. The only way to get improvement is to keep pushing ideas old and new until changes are made.
    TwistedxFate
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Ancient Treasure Chest Event is a nice dungeon crawling event. Wiki

The only problem is that many people are now OP and the challenge and adventure is no longer there to run dungeons.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660

The only problem is that many people are now OP and the challenge and adventure is no longer there to run dungeons.

It's still good for newbies, if ran along another veteran tailored event.
    Danievictria
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    If the idea is to move away from frequent events, to maintain interest, and replace it with something else then I'd say replace it with frequent updates. This used to happen in Mab. When it did is seen as Mabinogi's "Golden Age". That could just be coincidental but I doubt it.
    Darkpixie99Kensamaofmari
  • KadalynKadalyn
    Yes definitely. There aren't all that many devs for Mabi, I hate that they're wasting their time with tweaking low effort events to look new. If they didn't do that they could spend more time on real content as well as real events. That said, I don't have any problem with the content schedule of late, it seems adequate and more importantly consistent.
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    The two currently running events are actually fairly active. You actually have to go and do something to get the main event prizes for Lorna's event, and the Melody event requires you to at least actively talk to NPC's, engage in some minimal interaction with your fellow players, do a freestyle jam, and play with a pet for a good bit to complete the daily quest (sure, you could cheese the last part by keeping a pet summoned for half an hour, then running Alby Normal with it summoned...but it's more fun to do 2-3 dungeon runs, not to mention more lucrative).

Events should definitely be active, but if there are daily event quests involved, they should be completable in 30-45 minutes so as not to make it too hard on players who have school or kids or demanding bosses who have no respect for their personal time (the last one is a problem in the U.S., because American employers are rude). It's all about balance.
    Kensamaofmari
    The two currently running events are actually fairly active. You actually have to go and do something to get the main event prizes for Lorna's event, and the Melody event requires you to at least actively talk to NPC's, engage in some minimal interaction with your fellow players, do a freestyle jam, and play with a pet for a good bit to complete the daily quest (sure, you could cheese the last part by keeping a pet summoned for half an hour, then running Alby Normal with it summoned...but it's more fun to do 2-3 dungeon runs, not to mention more lucrative).

Events should definitely be active, but if there are daily event quests involved, they should be completable in 30-45 minutes so as not to make it too hard on players who have school or kids or demanding bosses who have no respect for their personal time (the last one is a problem in the U.S., because American employers are rude). It's all about balance.

Even when late at night and there doesn't seem to be many people available to help with certain quests (like the sharing food part) there is always someone. All you have to do is ask.

I feel like too many people have gone away from relying on each other and have isoed themselves.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805

Even when late at night and there doesn't seem to be many people available to help with certain quests (like the sharing food part) there is always someone. All you have to do is ask.

I feel like too many people have gone away from relying on each other and have isoed themselves.

I can agree with you there.

Few days ago I was greeting NPC's and one guy just came in asking if i also needed Campfire Sharing. I said yes and we both did it.
    If you see few players running around, it's sometimes enough just to place a Campfire and some people will join quickly.
    Really glad it's working out so far.
    Kensamaofmari
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Kadalyn wrote: »
    I've been in this community a very long time. And I remember the days we'd go for months without an event and the forums would be filled with complaints. The answer this was to constantly be running events, which has expectedly lowered the quality of events because they're low effort AFK events. Essentially, the same complaints have resurfaced.

I don't think a game needs constant events or even frequent events personally but I wouldn't suggest removing them all so as an alternative solution I'd like to suggest making Mabi the gacha game it longs to be and take the typical attendance system from those games.

To explain, there is always an attendance thing running. You log in daily, you get a stamp. It's some meager reward, like some of the cash shop currency once a week or some basic items like what you get from the service daily item thing, but maybe modernize it a bit. Then when there are events, sometimes they'll run and additional event-themed attendance card. (It checks off both the normal one and all the event ones.)

This is an extremely low-effort one and done system. All the attendance cards could use the same thing. You could still run bingos and other half-AFK events that could have cards which give out spins or whatever but overall the goal would be to significantly reduce the amount of attendance events into just a normal system that doesn't need any special hype. This would allow event devs the time to focus on actually fun-to-do events, and maybe actually test that movement speed doesn't ruin them.

If nothing else, it's a more honest system, I think. No one is hyped to do nothing and get items; they want the items, sure, but it's inherently unrewarding and doesn't bring people back to the game.

Server: Alexina
    Character: Kadalyn

Not gonna do much.
  • KadalynKadalyn
    Yeah definitely got nothing against the current events per se, it would be nice to roll the attendence into a single system is the only part I'd say about it.

Mostly just finally stopped being too lazy to write up this post uwu there wasn't a particular trigger.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    I like events where some small aspect changes across the entire game world, like game-wide snow for winter or global candy drops for Halloween. I don't like events where I do some menial task for some reward. I also like events where a limited-time quest is itself the reward, a bit like the Alyn orphan event (but even that had menial stuff and rewards).
  • adfsdflglglgadfsdflglglg
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    edited November 18, 2019
    The most fun I've ever had in an event was in Lorraine's nightmare event.