Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Game «Physics» of «Expiring» and «Stackable» items

HabimaruHabimaru
Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
edited October 27, 2019 in General Chat
[Note/Disclaimer : Unimportant Thread (probably)... feel free to skip for other topics/subjects] Just another seemingly «random» thread this time...

Clothings : They apparently take up a lot of space in our digital-world. Out in the so-called material world, clothes wouldn't really take up tons of inventory space, considering that they can be folded, are flat, can be stacked on top of one another in layers (preferably after being ironed flat), and other things done for clothing-storage. Due to the game-mechanics, and, multiple colour-options, how-ever, they are not designed to be stack-able, for it would probably require they all be the exact same colour-scheme, for which there is no real coding mechanism in place right now to let you stack, say, multiple dresses on top of one another, which would probably also require keeping track of clothe-colours.

Armours : This is understandable that they would not stack based on the physics of the material-world in which people live when not living life in front of a computer-screen. It's also quite nice that these can be both worn and carried around without severely draining the stamina of our Milletian-characters (other than Dex-Penalty for Heavy-Armour Elf).

Food : With all of the «expiring» items that ended up floating around and coming from Events... I just couldn't help but to notice that I can apparently keep «Food» in my Milletian-inventories (and Pet-inventories) pretty much indefinitely. And the food never spoils... unlike that stuff in my material-world kitchen that I have to usually consume within the week before they start to spoil, and even less time if it's something that I actually cooked, save the food-preservation methods of canning and freezing, etc.

Passes : Some of those Shadow-Mission Elite-Passes started becoming stack-able. Similar to clothing, they mostly do not seem to be stack-able (except for some of the ones from the Camp-Fishing Event), but, aren't they just shaped like flat pieces of paper ? And it's not like we can Dye them into different colours. I think it would make sense to have all of them be stack-able, yes, absolutely all of them, including when they happen to be Baltane-Passes. Regarding Dungeon-Passes, periodically, I will get a Gift from a Partner, and their Gift-Box often contains some Dungeon-Pass (but within-the-week expiring). I don't think it matters whether Dungeon-Passes can be stacked or not. Well, actually, I have several Peaca Abyss Advanced passes in my inventory right now (and even Abyss Coill Advanced), and, double-checking, I guess the Abyss Coill Advanced Dungeon-Passes are stack-able, but the Peaca Abyss Advanced Dungeon-Passes are not (perhaps the Peaca-version passes just happen to be made out of heavier/thicker material ?).

Expiring Items : Potions, Pills, Capsules, Tools, etc. As this «thread» is being written/constructed, my currently main-active Milletian-character has an Expiring Tendering Potion, expiring Skill-Reset Capsules, expiring Potions (of a number of varieties), expiring Dungeon-Pass, Expiring Protective Blue Upgrade-Stone, expiring Alban-Knights Training Seal Stone, expiring Fine Reforge Tool (Event), and that Royal Complete Skill EXP Potion (1 Day). When doing Daily Gathering Quest, that Golden Experience Fruit expires (but, hey, it's a fruit, right ? Thus in the «Perishable» category... even though I have non-expiring versions from recent events), and, I remember numerous other items having been in inventory before which expire, such as some past-event Training Seals (which cannot be dropped nor used when they expire), but, this category should probably just be split into listing each and every single individual item instead, as we decide to discuss one particular item or another (or group of) over the other or another...

Alban-Knights Training Seal Stones : Many of these actually seem to expire (as with a lot of other «expiring» items... expiring items are one of the reasons I do not open all of my boxes at once... with the other reason being because I might just not have enough inventory space for holding everything at once if I decide to open all of the Gacha-style boxes or other equivalent-to-Soaked-Instrument-Bags simultaneously). Considering that it's a «Stone» ...I cannot help but to wonder why it is in a «Perishable» (expiring) type category. Although I had managed to «find» other Stones that are non-expiring (non-perishable)... even with all of those Advanced Baltane Seals that I have collected as a result of all of my Squires only doing L20 Command-Missions, I do not yet know what to expect from the Baltane Supply Shop, regarding what «Rewards» might come out. I do know that lots and Lots and LOTS of Green-Coloured Stones come out from the Intermediate Training Boxes (all of which expire), but, really, I am hoping that it's not all entirely mostly nearly all Green-Coloured Stones if I decide to pick up a bunch of Advanced Alban-Training Boxes (got 867 of those Advanced Seals to spend at the time of this writing).

I suppose potions that expire are similar to drinks and «vitamins» that come from the pharmacy. They have «expiration dates» after all. Unlike HP, MP, Stamina potions, etc. Come to think of it, back in the original days, did any of the items originally expire ? I think, originally, only Dungeon-Passes had Expiration-Dates, unlike now it is now.

I guess I'll leave it at that for now. Feel free to respond and leave your thoughts or also feel free to ignore this thread and not bother responding.

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Along with a few other things, one of my cats is carrying around TWO pianos. It can run, keep up with me, and fight.
    Wolfsinger
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Helsa wrote: »
    Along with a few other things, one of my cats is carrying around TWO pianos. It can run, keep up with me, and fight.

My broomstick is holding a piano, one of those kitsune chairs, and a harp. How it can still carry me and fly too I will never understand
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Wolfsinger wrote: »

My broomstick is holding a piano, one of those kitsune chairs, and a harp. How it can still carry me and fly too I will never understand

Magic.
    pawcalypseWolfsinger
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    Do you ever just think about how many people could fit into your inventory?

Since equips like armor and clothes don't fold up to take up less space they sit in our inventories full size, like someone is wearing them. So assuming they are the same size in the bag as they are on us this would imply that we would take up a 2x4 space in the inventory. Just think about how many people we could fit into our luxury bags.
    Wolfsinger
    edited October 28, 2019
    TheNyanCat wrote: »
    Do you ever just think about how many people could fit into your inventory?

Since equips like armor and clothes don't fold up to take up less space they sit in our inventories full size, like someone is wearing them. So assuming they are the same size in the bag as they are on us this would imply that we would take up a 2x4 space in the inventory. Just think about how many people we could fit into our luxury bags.

Half of Erinn's population?
  • pawcalypsepawcalypse
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,705
    Imagine weight is the factor on how much players can hold in their inventory.
    pawcalypse wrote: »

Many games have weight factor these days. Some will allow you to go overweight but your movement will be hindered.
    pawcalypse
  • SytrieSytrie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,175
    I always support every-item-takes-only-one-slot idea for any mmorpg and stacking items should stack on that single slot infinitely. So my ideas would sound like disaster to you eh? But I only care about clean looks, messy view gives me headache. I can't even look longer than a minute to my mabinogi inventory, that different sized bags, lotsa colors etc. Horrific. For a digital world, I always support tidy view, and what about reality? Thats why we have a digital world buddy, to forget about reality.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    The very first earliest versions of what has evolved into today's MMORPGs have always had weight-encumbrance from the beginning. I prefer that the same «problematic» (and high-maintenance) mechanics not be carried over into the digital-world existence. A «game» is supposed to «allow» for the experience of freedom; Not «weigh us down» (pun originally unintended but now intended) with the same kinds of restrictions we can already experience in the material-realm anyway.
    pawcalypse wrote: »
    Many games have weight factor these days. Some will allow you to go overweight but your movement will be hindered.

The term would (probably) be «Dimensional-Portal» which allows us to store items similarly to how that girl named Miles (see below) in that recent animé...
    2267309-728x376.jpg
    Wolfsinger wrote: »
    Magic.

I concur, although, so-called reality is apparently not what we've all been led to believe. If ever the technology or quantum-evolution of the material-realm ever gets to the point where we have dimensional-portal-bags... then that would definitely be the first thing that I'd... seek to have lots of because... reasons... lots... many... numerous !
    Sytrie wrote: »
    I always support every-item-takes-only-one-slot idea for any mmorpg and stacking items should stack on that single slot infinitely. So my ideas would sound like disaster to you eh? But I only care about clean looks, messy view gives me headache. I can't even look longer than a minute to my mabinogi inventory, that different sized bags, lotsa colors etc. Horrific. For a digital world, I always support tidy view, and what about reality? Thats why we have a digital world buddy, to forget about reality.
    KensamaofmaripawcalypseWolfsinger