Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Should We Allow Men To Play As Female Characters?

BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
edited October 31, 2019 in General Chat
So, after much studying and midterms, I am in a bit of a quite downtime to enjoy this Fall, so I am bored between studying. Without further ado, let me ask you a completely insane and stupid question. Should we allow male players to play as female characters?

Now, I know what you are thinking: "Bliss, you have balls, yet play as one of the most beautiful elves in all of Erinn". To that I say thank you, and shut up.

Now, back to the topic.

It is no secret that Mabinogi has a rather large population of female players, but we also know this can create an atmosphere of fear and expectations for the males playing. What if this beautiful female elf named Blissfulkill is really a guy player? Aren't they deceiving me with that beautiful elven swagger? I wouldn't have helped them or talk to them for 5 hours if they weren't female. Give me my time back!

Or, how about those who wish to court young beautiful female giants with gifts. How are we suppose to court such beautiful individuals not knowing their actual sex? "Gasp! What if this person I am giving 100 million gold to out of the blue is a goddamn guy? It's not like I can ask them!"

Or how about simply falling in love with a female elf you find, AFKING in Dunbarton, near Caravan Joe, with their Coats and Dresses and Swimsuits. Only to be completely heartbroken that the other person on the other side of the screen is...a guy! It'll be akin to that April Fool's Joke where we all dated Ferghus.

So, my question to you is this: Should we allow Men to play as Female Characters, or should we make it against the TOS and ban anyone who breaks this rule?

Talk away!
  1. Should We Ban Male Players Masquerading As Female Characters?64 votes
    1. Yes, we should. I want to know that the female I see in game is a female in real life!
       14% (9 votes)
    2. No, this is stupid.
       86% (55 votes)

Comments

• Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    Did you just assume my gender?
    SytrieCrimsọnKagaRadiant DawnKitiniookieWolfsingerFeldingpawcalypseShakaya
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    edited October 31, 2019
    No to banning guys that play as girls. By that logic, if anyone decides to play a character of the sex opposing your own, then that person is to be banned. That doesn't just follow guys playing as girls, but in turn girls playing as guys. That's idiotic because people will play as whatever gender they want to. The majority of the playerbase would be banned by such a rule and would limit the playability of the game. Legal clustermuck notwithstanding in regard to having to prove said sex to the game company.

I've made a lot of friends through Mabinogi through the years and it's never concerned me what the sex of the player behind their character. All that mattered to me is if they were friendly or not creepy. Unfortunately, I've had a bit of creepiness back in the day, but I would just blacklist the troublemaker and move on.

Part of playing the game is interacting with others. Granted not everyone does this, but by interacting with one another, you run the risk of being deceived as you can't look this player in the eye when you meet them. Therefore, you need to police your interactions. If someone is asking for 100m gold or to borrow super expensive equipment (and you do not know them), then that's a red flag that someone is just attempting taking advantage of you. Same as real life, except in real life, perhaps your friend wants to borrow $20 or your favorite jacket and never return them. It's a sad state of affairs that you can't trust everyone, but that's life and this fact is not exclusive to male or female. If you agree to hand over the gold or item, the fault lies with you if it turns out you have been scammed.

If you're being pestered for money, instead suggest ways how the player can earn money. What's the saying? Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime. This will also give you an opportunity to see how they react. If they won't do for themselves, why should you do for them? Be sure to include varying ranges of possibilities in accordance of their capacities.

Going back to Blissfulkill's post where this is mentioned:

'What if this beautiful female elf named Blissfulkill is really a guy player? Aren't they deceiving me with that beautiful elven swagger? I wouldn't have helped them or talk to them for 5 hours if they weren't female. Give me my time back!'

If you find yourself saying this after spending time with another player (and they haven't attempted to scam you), perhaps you should look inward as to why. Why are you against spending time with other players you've been friendly with. Why wouldn't you hang out with a guy rather than a girl or vice-versa? You were ok with Player when you thought they were male/female, but not anymore, knowing they're female/male. Why?

In regard to people/players deceiving others, one can also look to dating sites for the same issue. Catfishing in stuff like Tinder is a common thing. Basically, for example someone uses their friend's picture for their profile while they message someone of interest and the person in question wants a date and find that they're not who they say they are. As Bliss uses players falling in love with others online, you run the same risk of people not being who they appear.

Deception requires intent. Intent is wherein the problem mentioned in this post lies. It lies with the intent of the player. It doesn't matter WHAT the character looks like, but rather the INTENT of the actions behind the player that are the issue.
    Jolinar+Mari
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    It would be unconstitutional. You're just gonna have to keep "enjoying yourself" with that lingering doubt that "they" just might be the gender you're not interested in..
  • SytrieSytrie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,175
    what if I identify myself as a german world war 2 tank Neubaufahrzeug... This post really offended me, I request locking the thread.
    LeineiBlissfulkillFluoretteRadiant DawnPlatinaKokiMeyWolfsingerFeldingpawcalypseShakayaand 1 other.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    That's enough internet for me today...
    BlissfulkillCrimsọnFluoretteWolfsingerFeldingpawcalypseJolinar+Mari
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Leinei wrote: »
    Greta wrote: »

Yeah, this is genuinely a random topic. Sounds like a psyche lesson I had one time.

It's the type of topic that you'd expect from any overstressed college student.
    pawcalypse
  • LeineiLeinei
    Greta wrote: »

Yeah, this is genuinely a random topic. Sounds like a psyche lesson I had one time.
    KensamaofmariWolfsingerpawcalypse
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    That would never be added to the ToS cause that's just opening a whole other can of worms labeled gender identity. It would simply be too much work to implement and enforce, I think Nexon has plenty of better things to do other than verify that your digital genitals match your irl ones.
    KensamaofmariGretaBuffalosLeineiBlissfulkillNilremFluoretteSherriRadiant DawnWolfsingerand 3 others.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    ಠ_ಠ
    LeineiBlissfulkillKensamaofmariAquasolNilremFluoretteCrimsọnTwistedxFateSherriRadiant Dawnand 4 others.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Buffalos wrote: »
    ಠ_ಠ

medium.gif
    BlissfulkillKensamaofmariWolfsingerShakaya
  • RuinitiveRuinitive
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,180
    I'm laughing so hard right now is this a serious post?
    FluoretteWolfsingerpawcalypseIonJolinar+Mari
  • DraechDraech
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,390
    Should we also ban "traps" IRL? Isn't "passing off as a girl character when you're a guy" and "looking like a girl but you're a guy" inherently the same thing?
    Ruinitive wrote: »
    I'm laughing so hard right now is this a serious post?

THIS IS MABINOGI!
    When was anything serious?
    Wolfsingerpawcalypse
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited October 31, 2019
    The way I see it: if you fall in love with someone's "personality" but are unable to reciprocate when you learn the more unflattering details(ergo: like in a real social event), that's totally your fault

After all, characters in mabinogi can't reproduce so it's not like 'sex-honesty' matters in-game

There's also the roosterteeth defense. 'whose butt would you rather stare at all day? Another guy's?'
    And the mmojunkie defense as well, for women playing as male characters. 'to not get harassed'
  • HelsaHelsa
    Leinei wrote: »
    Buffalos wrote: »
    ಠ_ಠ

medium.gif

shutterfly-acquires-borrowlenses.jpg
    Kensamaofmari
  • CiriCiri
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,185
    I get told often that I'm a guy irl even when they asked for my pics on discord. To me I really don't care, especially since I'm good friends with some traps, but I have encountered like 2-3 people who seemed and sounded spiteful towards some of my friends saying that they just don't feel comfortable (whatever that means).
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited October 31, 2019
    TheNyanCat wrote: »
    I think Nexon has plenty of better things to do other than verify that your digital genitals match your irl ones.

That would be a great if problematic way to begin asking for Nkeona and Daraeus's hand in marriage. :p
    Ciri wrote: »
    I get told often that I'm a guy irl even when they asked for my pics on discord. To me I really don't care, especially since I'm good friends with some traps, but I have encountered like 2-3 people who seemed and sounded spiteful towards some of my friends saying that they just don't feel comfortable (whatever that means).

You are you.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    edited October 31, 2019
    All I am going to tell you is that, according to parapsychology research on reincarnation, you were all opposite-genders in a previous life-existence (and still have the potential to incarnate/reincarnate as the opposite gendre in a future life-time-existence). And, yes, I only acknowledge the existence of two genders, regardless of what «gender fluidity» studies have been promoting and pushing in the [so-called] «education» system...
    WolfsingerTHICCthighssavelivesShakaya
  • HelsaHelsa
    Geez Louise, I figured after the mod posted that this would be locked. If you're lonely and H***-up, why you playing Mab? Either start playing red light district or some such thing, or start playing tinder, or if you're in college there's got to be a pub or frat-party somewhere near by with drunks of your preference.
This discussion has been closed.