Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Windows 7 'End of Life' cycle

ookieookie
Mabinogi Rep: 1,925
edited January 2, 2020 in General Chat
January 14th is the end of extended support for Win 7 .... when can we expect Mabi to announce they will no longer support Win 7 as well .... i've read that Sega's PSO2 has already given notice that they will drop Win 7 support ....once browsers announce they will stop then Mabi will have no choice, but to end support like Vista, and XP....this will also effect Steam users eventually as well i'm sure

Comments

• ookieookie
    Windows 8.1 doesn't end until January of 2023
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited January 2, 2020
    You should of upgraded like everyone else did.

Also it doesn't exactly mean mabinogi will cease to function on windows 7. It just means that if you encounter problems they may be unable to provide support.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    My Windows 7 died at the right time which allowed be to get a new computer. Don't get stuck in limbo. Upgrade or get a new machine.
  • ookieookie
    i've got 8.1 and 10 .... just reminding folks ..... my daughter still loves her 7 ....she's not looking forward to shifting almost a decade of gaming on 3 terabytes of hard drives over to a new system...lol ....at one point Mabi will just stop letting you log in on a 7....proof of that is how they killed off being able to log into the game with Vista with just one update....few months later Steam did the same with an update
    ookie wrote: »
    i've got 8.1 and 10 .... just reminding folks ..... my daughter still loves her 7 ....she's not looking forward to shifting almost a decade of gaming on 3 terabytes of hard drives over to a new system...lol ....at one point Mabi will just stop letting you log in on a 7....proof of that is how they killed off being able to log into the game with Vista with just one update....few months later Steam did the same with an update

I'm sure we'll find out when it is no longer supported.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    I suspect almost never.

Heck, I can still boot up Mabinogi on Vista.
  • ookieookie
    i was able to boot it on Steam with my Vista....made the mistake of letting Steam update its launcher....that killed it
    ookie wrote: »
    i was able to boot it on Steam with my Vista....made the mistake of letting Steam update its launcher....that killed it

RIP
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited January 2, 2020
    While it means the end of support it also means the end of updates. So, as long as it works, and you stay away from surfing "internet artwork" it should work. On the other hand it gives tech-support a "get out of jail free card".
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    When and if that happens it will be communicated to the community. For now I would definitely advise updating before that eventual notice. Windows 10 free upgrade is still available. Get it done.
    ookie
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited January 3, 2020
    Windows 7 was the best, it was hard for me to move on from it too, but eventually I upgraded to 8, then 8.1, and now I'm on 10.
    Windows 10 isn't bad, it's somewhat similar to 7?
    Kensamaofmari
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    My 2nd desktop doesn't even support Windows 10. It gets outright rejected due to being so old.
    KensamaofmariRadiant Dawn
    Sherri wrote: »
    Windows 7 was the best, it was hard for me to move on from it too, but eventually I upgraded to 8, then 8.1, and now I'm on 10.

As long as it's not 8.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn

Wellllllll it takes a lot of tweaking. Windows 10 has a lot of bloat ware. But it's possible to get it running simply like windows 7, it just takes quite a few steps. You basically have to take control of the system and block microsoft out. Easier said than done. Even now it's not 100%. Microsoft will find a way back into your system and you have to backhand them and tell them NO. lol.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited January 4, 2020
    Crims wrote: »

Wellllllll it takes a lot of tweaking. Windows 10 has a lot of bloat ware. But it's possible to get it running simply like windows 7, it just takes quite a few steps. You basically have to take control of the system and block microsoft out. Easier said than done. Even now it's not 100%. Microsoft will find a way back into your system and you have to backhand them and tell them NO. lol.

True.. I feel like the more newer Windows versions release, the more I feel locked out of controlling how my computer works. Unless I'm just stupid and don't know how to use Windows 10, I feel like that too sometimes lol

Oh also, nice post count.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited January 5, 2020
    I'm controlling my Win10 100%. Cortana doesn't want my attention because i refused her at all times and she probably gave up. All stupid apps removed from my sight in desktop too. Win10 only annoyed me once when it tried to download one app because it assumed i need it lol and i still didn't figure out how to prevent one dumb notification from popping up every time i go fullscreen mode in games.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Greta wrote: »
    I'm controlling my Win10 100%. Cortana doesn't want my attention because i refused her at all times and she probably gave up. All stupid apps removed from my sight in desktop too. Win10 only annoyed me once when it tried to download one app because it assumed i need it lol and i still didn't figure out how to prevent one dumb notification from popping up every time i go fullscreen mode in games.

Mine doesn't do that anymore. I forgot what I did, but I know I don't get that notification anymore. However I do like the windows notifications tied in with discord in regards to the Nao Raids channel. Whenever I am watching youtube or netflix or whatever I will get a windows notification indicating where the raid the is without having to check the channel.
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,605
    I'm controlling my Win10 100%.
    Wow where did you find the leaked source code and how long did it take you to audit and remove every line of spying code?

In reality though, the only way to get 10 "not to" spy on you is put a Linux or BSD box in between it and set up a whitelist firewall so windows is only able to communicate with IP addresses you specify, no using a firewall under windows will not work, no none of those applications that "remove the spying" actually remove the spying or the backdoors used to put it back.

Personally I'm using 8.1 on a separate system exclusively for playing windows games, separate from my personal and work files and applications behind the above mentioned whitelist firewall, I would suggest such a setup to anyone who has the slightest care for privacy and doesn't leave their doors unlocked, windows opened, and pants off. With such a setup theres no need to worry about when Microsoft "drops support" either since you're only going to be using the system for the specific programs you assumedly trust and they won't have access to any data that matters or be able to communicate with any system on the internet that you don't specifically allow. Yes it sounds "super technical and scarey" but theres a lot of guides on iptables/pf out there and many cheap openwrt compatible devices you can use for the job.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited January 5, 2020
    Ok.
    Crims wrote: »

Mine doesn't do that anymore. I forgot what I did, but I know I don't get that notification anymore. However I do like the windows notifications tied in with discord in regards to the Nao Raids channel. Whenever I am watching youtube or netflix or whatever I will get a windows notification indicating where the raid the is without having to check the channel.

Yeah, that is really handy i must say. Not complaining about that one.