Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Crom Bás Part 2 update!
https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/71292/crom-b-s-unveiled-abyss-part-2-patch-notes-january-13th-2022
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

JoJo's Bizarre Name Censor

SebastianSebastian
Mabinogi Rep: 6,770
Posts: 443
Member
in General Chat
So, I finally got around to purchasing a name change coupon, but can't say I'm entirely pleased with the way it was handled/implemented, especially considering what names are deemed "offensive" and which are allowed.

Ever since the topic of name changes became a thing around here, I've wanted to change my name to "Zenith", because I'm not a particularly big fan of my current name made back in 2013 when I was barely out of middle school. I'd check the mailbox in game to verify the name was even available after over 10 years of this game operating, and to my surprise, it was:

Gkd9lEg.png

However, the day I attempted to verify the name, I was met with "Offense language or words are not allowed"-- well, that's quite strange, isn't it? The word "Zenith", for any unaware, is defined as either: 1. "the time at which something is most powerful or successful", or 2. "the point in the sky or celestial sphere directly above an observer". Perhaps there's something I'm missing, but nothing here reads to me as especially offensive, unless Nexon representatives are adamantly fearful of things in the sky.

Naturally, I opened a ticket to see what the fuss was about, however I'm now going onto day 4 of it being open, and the most I've been told is either something I had already informed them of, and a statement saying they have confirmed the name is not offensive, but that the message is saying it is, thus I am SOL. I asked if the 10,000 NX could be placed back into my account and the name change coupon removed (not even a full refund, mind you, I'd still be using the $10 I paid without having received a service) and was told I could not. Interesting, to say the least, but this gave me an idea.

What names are censored, and which are not? Alternatives to "Zenith" are present in the game. "Zenithe" and "Zenyth" are options currently in use. Perhaps the biggest kicker, the word "Zenith" itself is used in a Technique-related quest in-game. Yet, names that are blatant filter-dodges and contain EXPLICIT and ACTUALLY OFFENSIVE words are deemed "Available" for use. Obviously, I cannot repeat them here, but I'd imagine there's a clear picture there. Actual offensive language is allowed, while a completely innocent word is not. I've also heard that the name "Rose" is considered offensive as well, for some... strange reason. It's important to note that these words can be sent in game without being defaulted to ***.

I was very much anticipating paid name changes, and I'm glad that people are able to use the system to fix names that they no longer like. However, I cannot for the life of me understand why, for some people, names that are completely innocent are deemed offensive; names that are perhaps the only ones they are interested in and/or contain a similar root of their current name to maintain a previous identity.

Please update your censors.

If anyone else has had names they were interested in kept away from them unnecessarily due to "offensive language", please share below. I am very smol grumpy blue bean who just wanted a new name and they won't even just give me my 10,000 NX back to spend on pon/gacha or something, idk.

Sherri

Comments

  • GypsySpiritGypsySpirit
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,340
    Posts: 270
    Member
    That's an awful thing that you're going through. Plus it is aggravating to see names that are offensive running around.
    Sebastian
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,770
    Posts: 443
    Member
    Mabi6 wrote: »
    That's an awful thing that you're going through. Plus it is aggravating to see names that are offensive running around.

    Yeah. Always wondered why names like those were present in game. Turns out it's because they focused on things like this instead of actual explicit language.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 20,825
    Posts: 4,532
    Member
    edited February 28, 2020
    That is weird but maybe these are some reasons:
    - first, the name is on the banned list, not for being offensive but because it is the name of a company; perhaps you can't call yourself, Exxon, either.
    - Second, the warning message is incomplete in that if the blacklisted names list contains more than just offensive terms perhaps the warning message alludes to such terms only, hence the confusion.
    But those are just a guesses.
    Sebastian
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,770
    Posts: 443
    Member
    edited February 28, 2020
    Helsa wrote: »
    That is weird but maybe these are some reasons:
    - first, the name is on the banned list, not for being offensive but because it is the name of a company; perhaps you can't call yourself, Exxon, either.
    - Second, the warning message is incomplete in that if the blacklisted names list contains more than just offensive terms perhaps the warning message alludes to such terms only, hence the confusion.
    But those are just a guesses.

    For the first point, I've tried other companies such as Samsung and Comcast, etc. and those names are currently being used in game.

    As for the second point, it seems "Zeni" is where it's taking issue. I have not been able to find any information on what exactly Zeni is, except for the name of the currency in Dragon Ball Z. Although, other words from Dragon Ball Z are allowed, which makes me doubt it was censored due to any uniform reason.

    As for its presence out of DBZ as an actual currency, words like "Dollar" and "Peso" are taken, so I doubt it's a currency-related issue.

    Edit: Exxon is in use.
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,755
    Posts: 1,230
    Member
    Big oofs! D:
    Sebastian
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 20,825
    Posts: 4,532
    Member
    edited February 28, 2020
    Sebastian wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »
    That is weird but maybe these are some reasons:
    - first, the name is on the banned list, not for being offensive but because it is the name of a company; perhaps you can't call yourself, Exxon, either.
    - Second, the warning message is incomplete in that if the blacklisted names list contains more than just offensive terms perhaps the warning message alludes to such terms only, hence the confusion.
    But those are just a guesses.

    For the first point, I've tried other companies such as Samsung and Comcast, etc. and those names are currently being used in game.

    As for the second point, it seems "Zeni" is where it's taking issue. I have not been able to find any information on what exactly Zeni is, except for the name of the currency in Dragon Ball Z. Although, other words from Dragon Ball Z are allowed, which makes me doubt it was censored due to any uniform reason.

    As for its presence out of DBZ as an actual currency, words like "Dollar" and "Peso" are taken, so I doubt it's a currency-related issue.

    Edit: Exxon is in use.

    Maybe offensive means in any language including say Manx, Xhosa, and ancient Chaldean. For example in in-game chat you can't type Hong, for Hong Kong, because . . . reasons.
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,770
    Posts: 443
    Member
    Helsa wrote: »
    Sebastian wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »
    That is weird but maybe these are some reasons:
    - first, the name is on the banned list, not for being offensive but because it is the name of a company; perhaps you can't call yourself, Exxon, either.
    - Second, the warning message is incomplete in that if the blacklisted names list contains more than just offensive terms perhaps the warning message alludes to such terms only, hence the confusion.
    But those are just a guesses.

    For the first point, I've tried other companies such as Samsung and Comcast, etc. and those names are currently being used in game.

    As for the second point, it seems "Zeni" is where it's taking issue. I have not been able to find any information on what exactly Zeni is, except for the name of the currency in Dragon Ball Z. Although, other words from Dragon Ball Z are allowed, which makes me doubt it was censored due to any uniform reason.

    As for its presence out of DBZ as an actual currency, words like "Dollar" and "Peso" are taken, so I doubt it's a currency-related issue.

    Edit: Exxon is in use.

    Maybe offensive means in any language including say Manx, Xhosa, and ancient Chaldean, say. For example in in-game chat you can't type Hong, for Hong Kong, because . . . reasons.

    I highly doubt that would be the case considering they themselves are using the word in the game itself. It just doesn't add up.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 20,825
    Posts: 4,532
    Member
    Sebastian wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »
    Sebastian wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »
    That is weird but maybe these are some reasons:
    - first, the name is on the banned list, not for being offensive but because it is the name of a company; perhaps you can't call yourself, Exxon, either.
    - Second, the warning message is incomplete in that if the blacklisted names list contains more than just offensive terms perhaps the warning message alludes to such terms only, hence the confusion.
    But those are just a guesses.

    For the first point, I've tried other companies such as Samsung and Comcast, etc. and those names are currently being used in game.

    As for the second point, it seems "Zeni" is where it's taking issue. I have not been able to find any information on what exactly Zeni is, except for the name of the currency in Dragon Ball Z. Although, other words from Dragon Ball Z are allowed, which makes me doubt it was censored due to any uniform reason.

    As for its presence out of DBZ as an actual currency, words like "Dollar" and "Peso" are taken, so I doubt it's a currency-related issue.

    Edit: Exxon is in use.

    Maybe offensive means in any language including say Manx, Xhosa, and ancient Chaldean, say. For example in in-game chat you can't type Hong, for Hong Kong, because . . . reasons.

    I highly doubt that would be the case considering they themselves are using the word in the game itself. It just doesn't add up.

    If you keep taking away reasons, all that's gonna be left is because you threw eggs at old man Nexon's house when you were 7 and they're still mad about it.
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,770
    Posts: 443
    Member
    edited February 28, 2020
    Helsa wrote: »

    If you keep taking away reasons, all that's gonna be left is because you threw eggs at old man Nexon's house when you were 7 and they're still mad about it.

    Asking customer support for reasons yielded none. I also couldn't care less about my status with Nexon.

    It doesn't make sense.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,220
    Posts: 720
    Member
    I cannot even say the name «Shylock» in-server without the server saying that said word is not allowed.
    Nevermind that Shylock (just in case it gets censored : Shy-Lock) happens to be a main-character of the Shakespeare-Generations.
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,770
    Posts: 443
    Member
    edited February 28, 2020
    Habimaru wrote: »
    I cannot even say the name «Shylock» in-server without the server saying that said word is not allowed.
    Nevermind that Shylock (just in case it gets censored : Shy-Lock) happens to be a main-character of the Shakespeare-Generations.

    It's inconsistencies like this that really make this whole thing look worse.

    EDIT: Shylock isn't allowed, but "Shylocke" is taken by a character.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 20,825
    Posts: 4,532
    Member
    Habimaru wrote: »
    I cannot even say the name «Shylock» in-server without the server saying that said word is not allowed.
    Nevermind that Shylock (just in case it gets censored : Shy-Lock) happens to be a main-character of the Shakespeare-Generations.

    That one might be explained. There's one of two possiblities: one is that a shylock is a mafia term for a money lender, and so they'd rather avoid the connexion, despite the Mafia mini-game. More likely is that, in Shakespeare, the character Shylock was Jewish and that it may be a pejoritive.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,130
    Posts: 2,781
    Member
    Oh stop being such a little Zenith, you gosh darn Shylock.
    Sebastian
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,770
    Posts: 443
    Member
    Oh stop being such a little Zenith, you gosh darn Shylock.

    Watch your language!!! Smh...
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,220
    Posts: 720
    Member
    Does it let you make use of «Zenni» (Zennith) or Zeenith ? (Although I might personally prefer the variation : Zeinith or possibly Zeineth or perhaps even Zetenith [a play on the word «Zetetic»] - if I couldn't Zeni...) Or would you prefer to avoid having to use any form of variation if possible ?
    Sebastian wrote: »
    As for the second point, it seems "Zeni" is where it's taking issue.
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,770
    Posts: 443
    Member
    edited February 28, 2020
    Habimaru wrote: »
    Does it let you make use of «Zenni» (Zennith) or Zeenith ? (Although I might personally prefer the variation : Zeinith or possibly Zeineth or perhaps even Zetenith [a play on the word «Zetetic»] - if I couldn't Zeni...) Or would you prefer to avoid having to use any form of variation if possible ?
    Sebastian wrote: »
    As for the second point, it seems "Zeni" is where it's taking issue.

    I've come to be known as the short part of my name that is "Zen", so I really wanted to at least keep those 3 letters intact. Nonetheless, I will see if these names are available, even if I do not wish to use them.

    Zenni: Taken
    Zennith: Taken
    Zeenith: Available
    Zeinith: Taken
    Zeineth: Available
    Zetenith: Available

    I just need something with Zen ;-;
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,490
    Posts: 484
    Member
    watch-your-language-memegenerator-net-watch-your-language-captain-america-53592934.png
    Sebastian
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,220
    Posts: 720
    Member
    Don't need the «ith» suffix-ending part...? Zentetic ! (Or if you insist on an -ith : Zentith)
    And if the part between the n and h is censored out then...: Zenteith !
    P.S: *whisper*whisper*whisper* (Xenith)
    Sebastian wrote: »
    I just need something with Zen ;-;
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,770
    Posts: 443
    Member
    Habimaru wrote: »
    Don't need the «ith» suffix-ending part...? Zentetic ! (Or if you insist on an -ith : Zentith)
    And if the part between the n and h is censored out then...: Zenteith !
    P.S: *whisper*whisper*whisper* (Xenith)
    Sebastian wrote: »
    I just need something with Zen ;-;

    I do be vibing with some of these. I'll check them out.
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,770
    Posts: 443
    Member
    This has officially turned into a "What names that start with Zen would be a good name change" thread