Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

anyone here from 2008?

Comments

• LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,360
    GhostFish wrote: »
    I just jumped back in today and uh... seems like a LOT has happened and changed. Does anyone have any recommendations for best/fastest ways to catch up on all the "new" content? Otherwise I'd just like to chat with people and see what's the hottest tea around here these days!

Memoirs is the quickest way to catch up. Lot of the objectives in memoirs will help you understand game mechanics old and new, it will also power level you to a point where you can do most content in the game.

https://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Memory_Book
    GhostFishMeratoma
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Don't go for skill masterys right away. Use duncans skill reset service to get everything to rank 1, THEN work on masterys and danning.

If you need me to elaborate, just say so.

Depending on when you left the biggest change is the fact that skill have significantly shorter load times than before, while mobs (and pets) are the same.
    GhostFish
  • GhostFishGhostFish
    Mabinogi Rep: 420
    Helsa wrote: »
    They're still at one post. For the record, spring of 2009 at the tail end of G6. I asked about when @GhostFish left the game, because it matters.

The last one I remember was something about Nuadha maybe?? I remember something about Shakespeare or Hamlet, too. I think Jousting had just recently been introduced, if that helps.

Thank you everyone who has responded! Even those of you who just wanted to flex, haha.

What I'm getting is that the Memoirs thing would be a great place to start. I have my old character who I know is a Paladin (Divine Knight?) at least, so hopefully that's a quest I have available. I definitely think I need to read through the wiki for a while too, after reading all these comments.
  • GhostFishGhostFish
    Sherri wrote: »
    2014 here. Anyway, I'd just go where the wind takes you. If you're on a new account/character, you'll definitely wanna do the Lorna questline.
    Though some things are a tad bit outdated, like at one point she says she wishes she could fly in Tir & Dunbarton (we can now).
    After that, the Memoir helps you gain a lot of levels (Blaanid questline) but that takes a bit to get to.
    Then I'd just sit back and do all the Generations. I'd avoid the Divine Knights one for a while, it's given out waaaaaaaay too early.
    Crims wrote: »
    The power creep has never been so overwhelming for a returnee. Godspeed.

This is so true..

you can... fly in Tir and Dun??? are there other areas they changed like this?
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited February 29, 2020
    You can fly in Tir Chonaill, Dugald Aisle, Dunbarton and Gairech Hills. Sadly they didn't add Emain Matcha. For now.
  • GhostFishGhostFish
    Man Emain would be pretty cool to fly through. One day... Have there been any fun new flying mounts released recently?
  • HelsaHelsa
    They're still at one post. For the record, spring of 2009 at the tail end of G6. I asked about when @GhostFish left the game, because it matters.

The last one I remember was something about Nuadha maybe?? I remember something about Shakespeare or Hamlet, too. I think Jousting had just recently been introduced, if that helps.

Thank you everyone who has responded! Even those of you who just wanted to flex, haha.

What I'm getting is that the Memoirs thing would be a great place to start. I have my old character who I know is a Paladin (Divine Knight?) at least, so hopefully that's a quest I have available. I definitely think I need to read through the wiki for a while too, after reading all these comments.

Okay then you quit BEFORE fighter came in, which brought in the new combat system. Now you can react to what skills monsters load whereas before you had to be familiar with their AIs and, with a little luck, anticipate them. So combat is easier now.

Windmill no longer damages you; so spam it all you want.

Duncan, the chief of Tir Chonail, has a service where he will lower all you skills back to rank F. This gives you all that AP back. Don't worry you can just spend it again and put everything back up without retraining. This effectively means you can borrow AP from yourself. When you lower all your skills your combat power drop dramatically too. This is very helpful for training skills where you have to beat monsters of particular ratings. The problem is that when you receive the service any partial progress to the next level, including mastery is lost, this is why you should get skills to rank 1, and lower them and re raise them all, first before working on mastering them.

Chain talent is VERY strong for combat. The skills are easy to train but difficult to get.

Everyone can use knuckles now, not just giants. They are the basis of a talent called Fighter. Fighter is a pretty strong talent too. It's skills are easier to get but harder to train.

Transmutation aka Construct Alchemy, is, in some ways, the best talent. It's downside is that it's boring and slow, since it is an inherently cautious style of combat. The good sides are: regardless of what level you are at, if you are completely outclassed by the monsters it has the best chance to see you through, and it is also a must if you are a yellow skill person.
    you can... fly in Tir and Dun??? are there other areas they changed like this?

Yes there's just a few areas left with the allow_flying flag turned off. Not only can you fly there you can also fly. The event to earn that ability is on RIGHT NOW.
    GhostFish
  • GhostFishGhostFish
    Oh man this is all amazing, thank you!! I was hoping there'd be a feature like that offered, it's been so long I just want to start training from the beginning. I had several friends basically telling me what to do to get from A to B in most situations back then, so it'll be nice to be able to move through everything on my own.

I never messed with alchemy but it sounds like I'll need to now, among other things. I was primarily a dual-wielder before, would any of these Talents work better for that in your opinion? I think Final Smash?? was what I was training up back then.

Are there still player shops on Ch4 on Mari? I definitely need to update my look to get ready for all this, but I heard something about servers changing or being added and glitches forcing people to move around? I had hoped to start training Blacksmith again, but I'm not sure what the market is like anymore.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited February 29, 2020
    Oh man this is all amazing, thank you!! I was hoping there'd be a feature like that offered, it's been so long I just want to start training from the beginning. I had several friends basically telling me what to do to get from A to B in most situations back then, so it'll be nice to be able to move through everything on my own.

In one case you won't have to: the skill windows now tell you what skills you don't yet have and how to get them.
    I never messed with alchemy but it sounds like I'll need to now, among other things. I was primarily a dual-wielder before, would any of these Talents work better for that in your opinion? I think Final Smash?? was what I was training up back then.

There are two types of Alchemy: Construct and Battle alchemy. Battle Alchemy is kinda meh. That being said, there is something called a Guardian shield, it's a shield that is also an alchemy cylinder, so you can do basic battle alchemy while you hold a sword or mace or axe, wand, lance if you're a giant etc. In this regard a good battle alchemy skill is sand burst, as it temporarily cuts agro of one enemy.
    Are there still player shops on Ch4 on Mari? I definitely need to update my look to get ready for all this, but I heard something about servers changing or being added and glitches forcing people to move around? I had hoped to start training Blacksmith again, but I'm not sure what the market is like anymore.

Mari, Tarlach, and Ruairi do and don't exist anymore; they were merged into one server called Nao. As such server specific culture has been washed out by a kind of melting pot effect. Nao and Alexina still have personal shops both in Dunbarton square and on channel one each. For some strange reason you might need to read Korean to know what's going on. The player based economy is now done via "The Auction House", that's the icon on the far right of the doodle bar on the bottom of the screen.
    Man Emain would be pretty cool to fly through. One day... Have there been any fun new flying mounts released recently?

There have been TONS of FREE flying mounts given away in events.
    GhostFish
  • GhostFishGhostFish

In one case you won't have to: the skill windows now tell you what skills you don't yet have and how to get them.

oh thank god. I always wanted that feature.

It makes the most sense to hit the ground running now that I know the basics, so that's what I'll do. Thank you for all of this advice and info! I feel much more confident already.
    Rimbaud
  • Goldtiger01Goldtiger01
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,515
    edited March 1, 2020
    I think I started in 2009... Maybe 2008. I was REALLY young when I started though. I remember being too afraid to actually fight things (the first year I started) because the bears spooked me, haha... But those were the days; when Mabi was more focused on the social aspect of things. Nowadays, the focus is more on being OP, lol. The social aspect died years ago, but the gameplay is much more interesting, and you don't have to rely solely on cheese to progress anymore. The only issue is that you need to keep striving to be OP, lol. Cause in the endgame content, you'll be able to do things, but only if you put time into you gear and leveling.
    Anyways, welcome back! The newest generations have, imo, been pretty boring. But the content before the latest chapter (before g22) is pretty great! So give it all a try and see if you stick around. :)
    GhostFish
  • ChriseusChriseus
    Mabinogi Rep: 505
    I also started in 2008 but I have a love/hate relationship with the game and with Nexon itself. If you stick around for too long you'll see that they make the same mistakes for all of their games and then when things get bad they just bail and blame the "player community". It is how they either close down their games or pass them off to other publishers. If the game went back to its old roots and focused on the more social aspects of the game I would probably return for good but as long as they keep doing the same thing that they have been doing for years then you will have to count me out. I gave Mabi a fair chance after the server merge and had a bit of fun with everything that had been going on but then the game became a ghost town again and unplayable for me. As much as I want to enjoy their games they have lost my trust because of all of the games that I have lost everything on such as Combat Arms and Hyper Universe and they have broken my spirit with the way that they keep letting their games die or how they keep them on life support in order to try and milk people for all their worth. I always attempt to check every once and then to see if I can spot any new improvements from them as a company but as I do not see any significant advances they have lost me as a player/customer. For anyone that wants to keep playing despite everything wrong going on then may god bless you and I hope that you do not ever regret your decision later as I did.
    GhostFish
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    Me. Been here since open beta and sank enough fortune that this will be my last MMo once this ship sinks. I just don't have time for any other titles in the online gaming space.
    GhostFish
  • TreesTrees
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,265
    I began in 2009 and this is/will be my only MMORPG.
    GhostFish
  • GhostFishGhostFish
    edited March 5, 2020
    I think I started in 2009... Maybe 2008. I was REALLY young when I started though. I remember being too afraid to actually fight things (the first year I started) because the bears spooked me, haha... But those were the days; when Mabi was more focused on the social aspect of things. Nowadays, the focus is more on being OP, lol. The social aspect died years ago, but the gameplay is much more interesting, and you don't have to rely solely on cheese to progress anymore. The only issue is that you need to keep striving to be OP, lol. Cause in the endgame content, you'll be able to do things, but only if you put time into you gear and leveling.
    Anyways, welcome back! The newest generations have, imo, been pretty boring. But the content before the latest chapter (before g22) is pretty great! So give it all a try and see if you stick around. :)

I basically had the same starting experience haha! In my case though I loved the bears and would attack them on sight regardless of level/gear. I made it an eternal headache for my friends who had to rez me all the time. I did get the Bear Slayer with Bare Hands title though and that's been a point of pride for me ever since.

It's sad to know that the social aspect is pretty much gone according to most of you here. That's a big part of why I came back tbh (that and bears). It does seem like they've just powered forward with skills and new armor upgrades so all of my old gear is basically obsolete. Gives me something to do though, if nothing else!

Rhey wrote: »
    Me. Been here since open beta and sank enough fortune that this will be my last MMo once this ship sinks. I just don't have time for any other titles in the online gaming space.

What are your feelings on the way the game has gone? You've probably got the most objective opinion if you've been here that long. I feel like I recognize your name too, is it the same in-game?
  • orcabluewaorcabluewa
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,330
    I was a beta tester
    GhostFish
  • GhostFishGhostFish
    orcabluewa wrote: »
    I was a beta tester

have you been around since that time? what's your opinion on the game as it is now?
  • VistoronVistoron
    Mabinogi Rep: 310
    I didn't play in 2008 but I remember when the game was released - open beta.
    I started in 2010 and tried Mabinogi many times since but I never played past level 20 or so because I didn't have many people to play with and I found the game mechanics confusing.
    This time I want to dive deep into the game because it is one of the best MMORPGs I have ever seen.
    The game surely changed in all of these years. After all, it is almost 20 years old.
    If any of you are returning now and would like to play with me, my in-game name is the same (Vistoron) and I play on Nao.
    I just made a 13 year old character and I am still in the tutorial phase, but I will progress later.
  • MeratomaMeratoma
    Mabinogi Rep: 400
    Returning player with new account... feels like I am the only one still using swords and wands these days
    The last thing I remember was that most people switched to giants and lances :')
    Is chain slash the new trend now...is there any point training magic still
  • MeratomaMeratoma
    Mabinogi Rep: 400
    Returning player with new account... feels like I am the only one still using swords and wands these days
    The last thing I remember was that most people switched to giants and lances :')
    Is chain slash the new trend