Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

About Errin and it's universe.

HelsaHelsa
Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
in Story Discussion
How big is Erinn. Theoretically, one could pace it out. The mini-maps and larger maps show latitudinal and longitudinal lines and grading. I wonder if anyone has tried to work this out.

Also, the night sky. Are their any constellations? Are their any planets? Do the moons move with respect to the background stars? My stars such questions!

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Helsa wrote: »
    How big is Erinn. Theoretically, one could pace it out. The mini-maps and larger maps show latitudinal and longitudinal lines and grading. I wonder if anyone has tried to work this out.

Also, the night sky. Are their any constellations? Are their any planets? Do the moons move with respect to the background stars? My stars such questions!

Erinn is a plane in the sky. We've been to its edge.
  • HelsaHelsa

Zhardine was it? Or Tir? Or both?

I think Renes and Tir.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited February 18, 2020

I think Renes and Tir.

I remember when you could still do that for Connous, but alas they closed that one off. Some places you have to use assault slash to get in. It occurs during the assault slash repost.

But we digress . . .

I think Renes and Tir.

I remember when you could still do that for Connous, but alas they closed that one off. Some places you have to use assault slash to get in. It occurs during the assault slash repost.

But we digress . . .

Nonetheless, Erinn is still a plane in the sky.
  • HelsaHelsa

I think Renes and Tir.

But we digress . . .

Nonetheless, Erinn is still a plane in the sky.

Which has a size and so back to the original questions . . .
    I thought I had this video that I recorded years ago when I glitched in homestead from severe lag and I ended up going off the plot just going straight endlessly without any ability to stop or turn. I went past all the background terrain and it was just endless desert until I reached the end and found myself walking through the sky.

That video was on my old computer, and I'll have to see if I had it saved in my external drive, but at some point the land ends and we end up in the sky.

As in terms to the size of the world, I don't think the map and the actuals fit correctly as we found out on our adventures off map the other time.
  • HelsaHelsa
    I thought I had this video that I recorded years ago when I glitched in homestead from severe lag and I ended up going off the plot just going straight endlessly without any ability to stop or turn. I went past all the background terrain and it was just endless desert until I reached the end and found myself walking through the sky.

That video was on my old computer, and I'll have to see if I had it saved in my external drive, but at some point the land ends and we end up in the sky.

As in terms to the size of the world, I don't think the map and the actuals fit correctly as we found out on our adventures off map the other time.

You say that like it matters. The world map of Erinn implies a size. It can be deduced. I'm wondering if anyone has bothered to find out. That and all the astonomy questions too.

You say that like it matters. The world map of Erinn implies a size. It can be deduced. I'm wondering if anyone has bothered to find out. That and all the astonomy questions too.

I think it matters into time and space.

But I think to answer your question on how big the known Erinn world is, one would have to determine how much space is a unit of distance.
    We know there is a distance measure in meters from using the paper airplane function. If you can get accurately the distance of 1 meter straight from flying a paper airplane, you can estimate that over the course of one square of longitude and latitude and then go from there to estimate the total area of the world map.
  • HelsaHelsa

But I think to answer your question on how big the known Erinn world is, one would have to determine how much space is a unit of distance.
    We know there is a distance measure in meters from using the paper airplane function. If you can get accurately the distance of 1 meter straight from flying a paper airplane, you can estimate that over the course of one square of longitude and latitude and then go from there to estimate the total area of the world map.

A 1x1 Homestead square is pretty darn close to 40 inches square; maybe start from there.

A 1x1 Homestead square is pretty darn close to 40 inches square; maybe start from there.

How did you get that calculation?

That's a lot of emptiness on Western Uladh before you reach the edge. I wonder what all that is.
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    in the book The Tragedy of Emain Macha, it says that the river that runs down Uladh splits the continent in half.... that means we have plenty of more space to explore in the lands we already have...
    and you can see where there is a path in the Corrib Valley that crosses said river....
    might be Fomor towns and cities across that river?
    RelgaiaRimbaud
  • HelsaHelsa
    in the book The Tragedy of Emain Macha, it says that the river that runs down Uladh splits the continent in half.... that means we have plenty of more space to explore in the lands we already have...
    and you can see where there is a path in the Corrib Valley that crosses said river....

You could start a whole series of G's by making Uldah beyond Tara the land of the fomors.
    Kensamaofmari
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire

You could start a whole series of G's by making Uldah beyond Tara the land of the fomors.

that would be awesome
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire

that would be awesome

apparently, this is no longer here, or I was wrong and it was never here to begin with... though I cant believe it wasn't there
  • HelsaHelsa
    There's a pathway to the creek, maybe it's just to get fish, who knows. You can step into the creek and run up and down it but I think they now block the exit running up the waterfall, just like they did the route beside Portia's house on the Connous map. To bad. Corrib Valley, in the glitch areas, reminds me of Scotland.
    It should be on the other side of the southern hills/mountains of Blago connecting to Emain. I don't think it's on the map.
    UladhMG.png
    I would assume the southern moongate at Blago was originally supposed to connect to the other side to the river.
    750px-Blago_Plain_Map.jpg

Speaking of the river, the Erinn River it flows into Emain Macha and Sen Mag, yet it has no drainage out to sea.

In the Dunbarton Environs, it says a stream used to run through the area, which I assume would run east to the sea, but it has dried up, while the Emain Macha description says most of the storms that come from the east drop heavy precipitation in Dunbarton and loses most of its water vapor in the Antrim Mountains (in between Dunbarton and Emain). It says winds pick up moisture from the mountains and its streams to provide adequate rainfall in the west in Emain Macha and Tara year round.

That would mean that Emain Macha has an excellent waterway engineering system that keeps the water flowing and draining properly to prevent floods.

Rundal Dungeon may be part of this system based off the waterways within the dungeon.

I would also assume that this was done back in the Fomorian Wars prior to the arrival of the Milletians when the Fomorians had occupied much of the eastern parts of Ulaid and had Dunbarton besieged. I would assume from the east, they cut the flow of the old stream to prevent the Fomorians from accessing water since Dunbarton has wells, they would've been much better off than the Fomorians.

For Gairech Hills and Bangor, I haven't been able to find details on whether the region was already dry and arid originally.

On the topic of whether the Fomorians are to the south, the Tragedy of Emain Macha says the Fomorian activity, an unusual increase in sightings of goblins and kobolds had appeared at Coill before the attack but was ignored and that the attack came from Coill. So that either meant that the Fomorians came directly from the north or that the Tuatha de Dannan of Emain were completely duped at Fomorian maneuvers if they are indeed located to the south.

We can also deduce that Erinn's world is not like our world since the weather moves from east to west, which would be a counterclockwise movement would imply southern hemisphere in our world, but yet, the cold and snow are in the north in Erinn.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited March 2, 2020
    Well maybe that's a salt lake?