Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

In game, what is the difference between...

DragoolfireDragoolfire
Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
edited March 3, 2020 in Story Discussion
Male humans and Incubus and Female Human and Succubi and Sirens?

They looks exactly the same. Except for the Queen and Fiends and the King... the regular forms are just humans dressed up. Right?

Comments

• BloonkBloonk
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,080
    I think this post is better suited for the Story Discussion section :o
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    edited March 3, 2020
    Maybe the Help section.

The Succubus/Incubus and Siren enemies were created at a very early point in time, not long after the game's introduction (the Siren and the various Succubi predate the Elves and Giants, at least). They use human base models for the sake of simplicity.

As time went on and technology improved(?), they found that they were able to create more polished-looking models, hence the Succubus Queen and the Incubus King.
    Since they're the only ones of their kind, they can be given that special treatment.

You might ask, "Why not do the same for the rest of them?"
    I doubt a humanoid non-human character model revamp is anywhere in devCat's mind right now. As far as the studio's concerned, they aren't a broken feature, thus they don't need fixing.
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    edited March 3, 2020
    Now here's the real head scratcher, what could be done to make them look different than humans?

I wonder this because, what if? What if they did get updated? What if a new generation made Fomorian player races? Yes I know I have been saying this a lot in threads so its ok to ignore me, but the idea is out there...
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    If we're talking in terms of how they look, I imagine Succubi or Incubi could make themselves appear however they want within their limitations, but they prefer to resemble their food (i.e. people) to lure them in and strike.
    roastedpigKensamaofmari
  • Karin_TaoriKarin_Taori
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,365
    Leinei wrote: »
    If we're talking in terms of how they look, I imagine Succubi or Incubi could make themselves appear however they want within their limitations, but they prefer to resemble their food (i.e. people) to lure them in and strike.

Correct. In fact, it is believed fomors can change their appearance albeit to a limited degree as stated in tarlachs record. Moreover just because a fomor looks human does not necessarily mean that they are human. They might have the ability to change skin color, or grow additional horns. however when one looks at the real world lore of succubi/incubi/sirens they are made to be distinctly human looking as a way to lure them - like an angler fish dangling a light for fish to swim into its mouth.

we might get a revamp someday, we might not. the point is that it isn't necessarily hard for them to make such humanoid enemies nor is it really necessary to make them more 'monstrous' in appearance. if anything, they should be more human looking.
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    Maybe it's an age/power level thing?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited September 1, 2020
    Looking the same is not the same as being the same. The Bible says that God made Man "in His own image", which means God Himself looks like a person.
  • SollSoll
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,330
    slight necroing here, but I feel this thread needs a lil clearup.

what really divides them is how they are treated first; like any other fomorian.

then, as people stated already above, the sameish model / restrictions.

though when the succubus queen was brought in, she also appeared with the baby succubi. they were a sort of 'reveal' of what was hiding under regular succubi's hats after this long. if they're ever going to get revamped models, we don't know, but in mabi canon, succubi have furry bat-like ears.

sirens have lines where they try to enthrall you with their flute, apparently. They get rowdy to the point that aer gives us a pass to put a stop to their antics. Other than that, i would consider Merrows to be their endgame right now, since technically they are found in watery areas, and the OG merrow was fought in rundal... but that's just speculation.

On the other end, incubi don't really have much of development as it stands, and the appearance of the incubus king didn't really add anything new to the pot. There isn't really anything (that i know of) that explains their existence in the Castle Dungeons. While the incubus king has his own lore, it's not inherently tied to the other incubi like Queen's was to succubi. Elatha's RP mission is, as of now, the only thread we have about generic incubi that is more than just 'monster you have to kill to get to end chest'.

A lot of the monster lore has yet to be explained properly, or has been sitting still for a long time now, so a lot of it is up to your own interpretation of things.
    Kensamaofmari
  • ThePravinThePravin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,380
    I mean... they aren't supposed to look different. That would make it a bit harder to be a succubus.